• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott: Gladiator 2 is his next film after his Napoleon film

ntropy

glad it's not another Aliens movie

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

Doom85

glad it's not another Aliens movie

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

Nah, Alien 3 beat Scott to the punch of making the prior film meaningles.

Scott’s not taking that chance of someone beating him to the punch again.

(board meeting)
Scott: Okay, guys, Gladiator 2 is what I’m thinking for our next project.
Producer: Wouldn’t that invalidate what Maximus sacrificed himself for in the first film?
Scott: Yes, but consider this: money.
Producer: Ah well, it could make money, so I see your point.

Seriously the end of the original film all but said Rome was going to strive to be better. Might not be historically accurate but still. So am I going to see this new one?
dog perform GIF

NoviDon

(board meeting)
Producer: Wouldn’t that invalidate what Maximus sacrificed himself for in the first film?

Seriously the end of the original film all but said Rome was going to strive to be better. Might not be historically accurate but still. So am I going to see this new one?
dog perform GIF
A quick wikipedia search says gladiator games were around for about 1000 years, and the Roman empire was pretty massive so this film could take place in any number of places and even hundreds of years before the story of Maximus.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
A quick wikipedia search says gladiator games were around for about 1000 years, and the Roman empire was pretty massive so this film could take place in any number of places and even hundreds of years before the story of Maximus.
the articles say it will follow the son of Lucilla, Lucius, the nephew of Commodus.

I don’t really have high hopes for it, but it’s been so long since the original came out, it could be something halfway decent. It would be extraordinarily hard to come close to the original IMO.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

(board meeting)

dog perform GIF
Money ah yes
Even better then money
More money

yes yes money money money

NoviDon

the articles say it will follow the son of Lucilla, Lucius, the nephew of Commodus.

I don’t really have high hopes for it, but it’s been so long since the original came out, it could be something halfway decent. It would be extraordinarily hard to come close to the original IMO.
The big budget will be there, the cinematography will be grand and epic. I'm not expecting a miracle I just hope the story isn't convoluted and full of plot holes, and they get the main casting right. Im not expecting them to get all star performances from the supporting cast like the original, but just make sure everyone fits their roles and the story flows with a steady pace. would be nice because I love action adventure films.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Gladiator 2 doesn't fill me with confidence. The original is enjoyable, but also one of the most historically inaccurate films ever made.

The Napoleon film also doesn't do it for me. I love the era, but the Napoleon story is too big to go into one film. It would be far better if this was made into a mini TV series. Also, please make it historically accurate.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Loved Gladiator. But got to say the past 20 years with the influx of these giant budget historical flicks with tons of CGI and big wave battles, I'm not feeling it anymore. On paper it sounds like one awesome spectacle after another, but meh.

Although I enjoyed the 300 movies since they are stylized different.

ZywyPL

Banned
Gladiator is one of the best movies of all time, and doesn't need a sequel, it's a complete story. Unless they'll make completely separate thing not connected with the 1st movie other than the setting, with completely new, unrelated story arch.

Gladiator 2 doesn't fill me with confidence. The original is enjoyable, but also one of the most historically inaccurate films ever made.

The Napoleon film also doesn't do it for me. I love the era, but the Napoleon story is too big to go into one film. It would be far better if this was made into a mini TV series. Also, please make it historically accurate.
But 2 has Maximus wandering the afterlife.

Then killing baby Jesus.

Use that script Nick Cave wrote where Maximus becomes an immortal warrior who ends up working at the Pentagon.
Yes.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
But 2 has Maximus wandering the afterlife.

Then killing baby Jesus.

No. That was the original idea of Maximus fighting in different wars throughout history, but it was thrown out for being way too far fetched.

Galidator 2 (I doubt it'll be called that) is still going to be a historical drama. It'll just pick up decades after Maximus died. Most likely when Severus Alexander was Emperor.

On one hand I'm hyped as fuck. I'm a historian and I can't wait to get more, epic historical films. On the other hand, I just can't see them being remotely accurate, which would really grind my gears.

Gladiator 2 sounds an odd choice, maybe will only have a loose connection and just be another Roman general. All the best characters in Gladiator died in that film.

Will be interesting to see a shared Gladiator, Alien and Prometheus universe.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Gladiator 2 sounds an odd choice, maybe will only have a loose connection and just be another Roman general. All the best characters in Gladiator died in that film.

Will be interesting to see a shared Gladiator, Alien and Prometheus universe.
Look guys, if we cover ourselves in the blood of Jesus, the acid doesn't burn! Let's kill those demons!

Jesus: Wait, there are 50 of you, there isn't enough wine.... Stop stabbing me!

jason10mm

Gold Member
let me guess...
warrior-woman-picture-id508257798
If thats the look they went for in these genderbended adaptations NO ONE would be complaining :p

It more when a girl built like this:
KFKaywm.jpg

takes out a half dozen trained men weighing 200 pounds and wrestles a CGI bear to the ground or when they look like this:

w5kyq0O.jpg

jufonuk

not tag worthy

AJUMP23

I look forward to the Napoleon project. Is Gladiator 2 just about the dog they abandoned in the first film?

Fbh

Forced sequel to cater to Nostalgia made in 2022-3 (?) by a director that hasn't done anything nearly as good as the first movie in like 15 years.

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Forced sequel to cater to Nostalgia made in 2022-3 (?) by a director that hasn't done anything nearly as good as the first movie in like 15 years.

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office
I checked his wiki. Youre right.

For a guy who is well known, he's directed a lot of no-name crap the past 10+ years. His last biggies were around Gladiator launched. Hs best well known flicks were about 40 years ago.

Yoda

Hopefully it doesn't happen. Gladiator had a good and clean ending. No need to milk the characters and taint the legacy.

Top Bottom