• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott films – ranked

20. A Good Year
19. Kingdom of Heaven
18. Black Rain
17. GI Jane
16. Someone to Watch Over Me
15. Black Hawk Down
14. The Counsellor
13. Alien: Covenant
12. Robin Hood
11. Prometheus
10. Hannibal
9. Matchstick Men
8. The Last Duel
7. The Martian
6. Gladiator
5. All the Money in the World
4. Thelma & Louise
3. The Duellists
2. Blade Runner
1. Alien

Source: Ridley Scott films – ranked!

Pagusas

Elden Member
Kingdom of Heaven or Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut? I'd put the Directs Cut in the top 10, while the theater cut is his worst film.

Anyway, for me the Martian is #1, Aliens #2, Blade Runner #3 and Gladiator #5. The back end of the list would be Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven and GI Jane as his worst films. I havnt seen all of them though.

Last edited:

thefool

1 - Alien
2 - Blade Runner
3 - The Duellists

Honorable mentions: Black Rain and Kingdom of Heaven DC

Cattlyst

Alien Covenant ain’t it. A blemish on a glittering career imo.

Edit: just saw Prometheus is on this list too. Nope. Both utter dogshit.

Last edited:

Ionian

Alien Covenant ain’t it. A blemish on a glittering career imo.

Edit: just saw Prometheus is on this list too. Nope. Both utter dogshit.

I liked Prometheus depite its flaws. The birth of the Aliens being something created from goo that wipes out their homeworld, by an Android?
They didn't even look like Aliens. Just a swarm of bats. Wiping out a planet, of creators.

And of course every crew member died long before getting to that part. Died at the start of the film. Kinda like the prequels but they had a point.

Was just stupid.

1492 might not crack the top ten but it's a damn fine movie with an incredible Vangelis soundtrack.

Legend is somewhere up there too.

ezgif-4-23b589b3b5bdvhk3f.gif

Velius

Banned
I would put Alien Covenant down much lower, and I would put Hannibal much higher.

Alien and Blade runner are #1 and #2 always, and I wouldn't argue with either of them being in either slot

Dr Bass

I'd switch Blade Runner and Alien. And while I like some of the rest, I don't care enough about them to bother ranking them.

What's funny is, much like George Lucas, he doesn't even seem to understand his own movies as proven by his comments and follow ups to them. But I guess he didn't write them so ...

Tschumi

Kingdom of heaven director's cut is a stellar film that anyone with an interest in the subject material aught to see

I'm glad that the duellists got recognised, it's a great film

Last edited:
Wow I really need to watch The Dualists.

I somehow never enen heard about this film. But it sounds like something I would really like!

Catphish

While the theatrical release of Kingdom of Heaven sucks pretty hard, the Director's Cut is a fucking masterpiece, is easily in Scott's top 5, and is one of my favorite movies of all time. (y)(y)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
While the theatrical release of Kingdom of Heaven sucks pretty hard, the Director's Cut is a fucking masterpiece, is easily in Scott's top 5, and is one of my favorite movies of all time. (y)(y)

lol I liked the theatrical cut but yes the directors cut recontexualizes a lot of the character motivations.

Kingdom of Heaven disrespect?!

It's a masterpiece. And Edward Norton is simply amazing. Just counting his scenes this movie easily cracks top 10 by itself.
Edward Norton and the Saladin actor were both incredible. Liam Neeson killed it too in his brief appearance.

Orlando bloom was miscast though. He just didn’t have the charisma to lead a movie. Eric Bana outshined even Brad Pitt in Troy and would’ve been perfect here.

Man I miss those early 2000 movies. One historical epic after another. Big epic war movies every year. We took it for granted and now look at us, port begging for dune’s second half lol

bender

What time is it?
Alien and Blackhawk Down are my favorites. One day I'll make it through Blade Runner without falling asleep. I need to rewatch Gladiator at some point.

Ionian

1492 might not crack the top ten but it's a damn fine movie with an incredible Vangelis soundtrack.

Legend is somewhere up there too.

ezgif-4-23b589b3b5bdvhk3f.gif

He did Legend? The amount of times I watched that. Continually as a kid, Tim Curry as the demon was perfect. Didn't even know it was him until I grew up.

And the queen, made something stir inside me. Wouldn't fly today as a kids film for the Goblins alone.

EDIT: Ah fuck remember the unicorn scene now. :(

Last edited:
personally, I would put Kingdom Of Heaven, Black Hawk Down, and Matchstick Man higher on that list. at least higher than Alien: Covenant or Prometheus that's for sure.

Porcile

I think this is just evidence that Ridley is actually kind of a terrible, or has been for the best part part of 40 years now.

SpiceRacz

1. Blade Runner
2. Blade Runner: Director's Cut
3. Blade Runner: US Theatrical Cut
4. Blade Runner: Final Cut
5. Blade Runner: International Cut

farmerboy

Probably an unpopular opinion, but recently watched Blade Runner and could not stand it. Probably amazing in its time, but I thought it didn't hold up well at all.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Of all the directors I enjoy, I find his filmography some of the most difficult to rate. Especially with some of his director's cuts being streets ahead of his theatrical cuts.

Top Bottom