• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danny McBride in talks to join Ridley Scott's Prometheus sequel 'Alien Covenant'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen here you beautiful bitch, I'm about to fuck you up with some truth.
KennyPowers.jpg

inm8num2

This is awesome news. I'd actually love to see McBride play a different type of character than we're used to seeing. Then again I could see him being like Hudson, but with a little less defeatism and a little more carefree I-don't-give-a-fuck optimism.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
There is a small handful of actors on the planet that I will watch anything they are in specifically because they are in it and Danny McBride is one of those actors.

Alien didn't even need one prequel, let alone four. Wasn't interested in seeing Sir Ridley spend the rest of his career twating around with this material before, less interested with the casting decision. Danny McBride is capable of playing one character and it's not a character that appeals to me.

Oh well.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Yeah, what the fuck happened to her character?

She was far too stupid to deserve a return. Compared to Ripley she was an utter moron, and she was supposed to be a scientist for god's sake. Also her English accent was terrible, Sam Worthington bad.

I hope that the Prometheus sequel trilogy idea is just regurgitated PR from last year, surely that idea has to be dead in the water. Nobody wants to know anymore about the Engineers and Space Jesus. That David is the only returning character gives me a tiny sliver of hope that Ridley understands the damage he did with Prometheus.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
She was far too stupid to deserve a return. Compared to Ripley she was an utter moron, and she was supposed to be a scientist for god's sake. Also her English accent was terrible, Sam Worthington bad.

I hope that the Prometheus sequel trilogy idea is just regurgitated PR from last year, surely that idea has to be dead in the water. Nobody wants to know anymore about the Engineers and Space Jesus. That David is the only returning character gives me a tiny sliver of hope that Ridley understands the damage he did with Prometheus.

Honestly, I wanted the Alien 5 that was mentioned last year, but is Weaver too old for this shit?

You think you Alien bitches can face fuck me when I'm basically a god made flesh. No! Kenny Fucking Powers is about to buttfuck your whole colony and make you into my image cause I'm flipping the fucking script!

near

Gold Member
Danny McBride? What a joke, hopefully this doesn't happen. No Noomi is a bigger joke. Ridley doesn't know what he's doing with this any more.

Griss

No Noomi Rapace? Damn, might be worth watching. She was one of many insufferable things about Prometheus. Couldn't stand her in that film.

As for McBride, he would have fit right in on the Nostromo.

None of this matters anyway, Scott has lost his touch, movie will be shit.

near

Gold Member
This is assuming he knew what he was doing when he was making Prometheus

I agree, he probably didn't know what he was doing in the first place. But pretending Prometheus doesn't exist by giving the prequel sequel a completely new title and ripping the heart out of that story -that is Noomi- is just stupid. I mean Prometheus didn't sit well with a lot of people but I liked it for what it was, why not just work with what you've got and build on that? :/

Ushojax

I agree, he probably didn't know what he was doing in the first place. But pretending Prometheus doesn't exist by giving the prequel sequel a completely new title and ripping the heart out of that story -that is Noomi- is just stupid. I mean Prometheus didn't sit well with a lot of people but I liked it for what it was, why not just work with what you've got and build on that? :/

There was nothing worth building on aside from David. Shaw was a terrible character from a terrible movie, no studio would pay for a direct sequel with her as the main character. David will probably say that she died on the way back to her home planet and leave it at that.

A theoretical Prometheus 2 would have been a guaranteed bomb. People wanted an Alien prequel and they still do, they just want a proper one, not a pseudo-prequel filled with dimwit characters and religious mumbo jumbo that ruins the mystery from the first film.

near

Gold Member
There was nothing worth building on aside from David. Shaw was a terrible character from a terrible movie, no studio would pay for a direct sequel with her as the main character. David will probably say that she died on the way back to her home planet and leave it at that.

A theoretical Prometheus 2 would have been a guaranteed bomb. People wanted an Alien prequel and they still do, they just want a proper one, not a pseudo-prequel filled with dimwit characters and religious mumbo jumbo that ruins the mystery from the first film.

Shaw being a terrible character doesn't make sense to me. What was exactly terrible about her character? The film had terrible character development, but that doesn't make Shaw a terrible character. At the end of Prometheus
David tells Shaw he knows where the Engineers home is and Shaw asks him to take her there, the final shot is a ship flying off.
A sequel with Shaw was inevitable, and the foundation for an prequel sequel was set up.

Theoretical Prometheus 2 would not be a bomb at least based on the merits you're going by. Prometheus was both critically and commercially successful, a well written sequel would be able to stand on it's own given the right conditions. It's far fetched that you'd suggest no studio would pay for a sequel with Noomi reprising her role in this given scenario. While it wasn't the most ideal Alien prequel, it was a prequel nevertheless.

zma1013

Prometheus was both critically and commercially successful

Holy shit how did it not get critically panned? Watching this movie, I'd just assumed it would get beaten down by critics but looking now wtf? It's a pretty movie but every character in the movie is stupid and nothing makes sense. I don't understand.

near

Gold Member
Shaw was really obnoxious.

"I have no evidence whatsoever but if we all believe really hard we'll find what we're looking for"

I didn't really pay too much attention to narrative like that because it was sub-textual to her religious beliefs.

I didn't really pay too much attention to narrative like that because it was sub-textual to her religious beliefs.

It was pretty in your face, a pretty horrid on the nose way to develop her religious beliefs. All those people got what they deserved tbh. They were a mind bogglingly stupid lot.

Ushojax

The film had terrible character development, but that doesn't make Shaw a terrible character.

Is there really a difference between a terrible character and a terribly developed one? What is there to like about Shaw? She's completely humourless, lacks any charisma and her only significant trait is a stubborn refusal to accept that her religious views are nonsense and that Earth is just an ant farm to the Engineers. If her and Ellen Ripley were stuck on a ship with an Alien, we know who would be boss.

near

Gold Member
It was pretty in your face, a pretty horrid on the nose way to develop her religious beliefs. All those people got what they deserved tbh. They were a mind bogglingly stupid lot.

I suppose. The funny thing is if my memory serves me right they had 3 clear cut chances to kill her character off in the final 5-10mins of the film.
The ship crushing her, the engineer killing her and that squid thing
. It's even more frustrating that she's been killed off camera. :/

near

Gold Member
Is there really a difference between a terrible character and a terribly developed one? What is there to like about Shaw? She's completely humourless, lacks any charisma and her only significant trait is a stubborn refusal to accept that her religious views are nonsense and that Earth is just an ant farm to the Engineers. If her and Ellen Ripley were stuck on a ship with an Alien, we know who would be boss.

A terrible character can stem from poor character development in which we lack the understanding of what motivates and drives a character to behave in a certain way. I think Shaw's character wasn't given much room to express herself. Some of the dialogue she exchanges is cringe worthy, but she still was a leading character, that exists based on the previously used formula with Ellen Ripley. And you cannot place both characters in the same room, because they're essentially the same character but portrayed in different way. Both have a strong willingness to survive the odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom