• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott Says Hard R Rating for Alien: Covenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienfan

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2016/01/14/ridley-scott-says-hard-r-rating-alien-covenant/

When a reporter commented on fans being interested in the horror aspect of the Alien series, Ridley Scott responded “that’s why I’m doing it. I’m going to do pretty Hard R.” He further elaborates that he wants to do a scene with the same sort of impact that Alien’s original chestburst scene had but something “much worse.”

Really good news consider at this point in Prometheus's development the R rating was still up for debate, with a PG13 cut made along side it, and the decision to release the R rated version not made until after filming. Not sure what Gaf's stance is on Prometheus, but I thought it was the third best in the series and personally can't wait for some more big budget R rated sci-fi. :D

ElTopo

Banned
lsivzPZ.jpg

Of course it's the third best in a series of only 3 movies.
But I'm interested in seeing where he takes it and if he can actually impress me with the alien franchise again.

Not sure what Gaf's stance is on Prometheus, but I thought it was the third best in the series and personally can't wait for some more big budget R rated sci-fi. :D

The rating and violence wasn't the problem with Prometheus (and GAF's opinion seems to be majority negative with a few people sticking up for it intermittently)

That he wants to make it Hard R doesn't mean anything. I want him to make it make sense and be scary.

(He had a great chestburster scene in Prometheus before he broke the script and had Lindelof scotch tape it back together under his orders)

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2016/01/14/ridley-scott-says-hard-r-rating-alien-covenant/

Really good news consider at this point in Prometheus's development the R rating was still up for debate, with a PG13 cut made along side it, and the decision to release the R rated version not made until after filming. Not sure what Gaf's stance is on Prometheus, but I thought it was the third best in the series and personally can't wait for some more big budget R rated sci-fi. :D

Isolation is third best. Prometheus is fourth best.

The Alien movies get progressively less good as they go along.

Isolation is a great video game with a boring story executed perfunctorily.

Yeah the story is utterly forgettable and essentially meaningless but the player experience through gameplay does a solid job at capturing the Alien tension and amazing job at recreating the aesthetics and atmosphere while putting its own touch on it. Sevastapol was a fantastic location.

not sure what relevance an R-rating has in the face of an absolutely dogshit script.

Alien 3 is also a fantastic movie, fuck the haters.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The rating and violence wasn't the problem with Prometheus (and GAF's opinion seems to be majority negative with a few people sticking up for it intermittently)

That he wants to make it Hard R doesn't mean anything. I want him to make it make sense and be scary.

(He had a great chestburster scene in Prometheus before he broke the script and had Lindelof scotch tape it back together under his orders)
Yup, this is meaningless. Nobody thought the problem with Prometheus was that its violence was neutered and there wasn't enough gore. The problem was the script was shit, the characters were awful, and Ridley Scott's bad ideas were a core piece of that.

Alienfan

Isolation is a great video game with a boring story executed perfunctorily.

I don't know, I found Alien 3 to be more enjoyable than Aliens. It was the bravest film in the series, it's willingness to kill off characters at any moment and the atmospheric prison setting just made for a super tense film. Better developed characters too

I don't know, I found Alien 3 to be more enjoyable than Aliens. It was the bravest film in the series, it's willingness to kill off characters at any moment and the atmospheric prison setting just made for a super tense film. Better developed characters too

It has some very admirable qualities but Aliens is more cohesive in its direction and execution. Like its a fully satisfying and thrilling movie whereas Alien 3 gets half of it right and then you're left sighing and wondering what could have been. I do like how bold and bleak it is though.

I don't know, I found Alien 3 to be more enjoyable than Aliens.

I can't quite go that far, but I love hearing people say this, as I've been a champion of that film's positive points since before the Assembly Cut was just a bootleg VHS I couldn't find at comic conventions.

Prometheus was awful, but hopefully this will be good. He doesn't seem to be shitting on the Alien mythology like he did with that one.

Lindelof isn't involved, is he?

Jawmuncher

Still amazes me how Fox never decided to reboot alien. Especially after 3 & 4. Don't really care that they didn't though.

Alienfan

It has some very admirable qualities but Aliens is more cohesive in its direction and execution. Like its a fully satisfying and thrilling movie whereas Alien 3 gets half of it right and then you're left sighing and wondering what could have been. I do like how bold and bleak it is though.

Yeah fair, I guess Alien 3 was more of what I wanted from an Alien movie than Aliens was - although to elaborate on this point, the original 'wooden monk planet' just sounded incredible!
ellis-world1.jpg

ElTopo

Banned
Prometheus was a little dry in comparison to the other films when it came to gore. But yeah, it had bigger problems than a lack of gore. I have come around to the film after having watched the Gift Bearer Fan-Edit.

TheXbox

You mean exponentially. Aliens is, like, a sliver less good than Alien. Alien 3 is a drop off a cliff, and you can't even see Resurrection from the top.

Prometheus is an outlier that sort of plays well as a silent film, if you put the Alien trailer music on loop for two hours.

After Prometheus did solid business on an R, and Scott delivering a massive hit in The Martian, not shocked. He's got enough clout ATM to make whatever the hell he wants, thank god he wants this.

I don't know what the rating was for Prometheus because I don't look up or care about ratings for movies, but "a Hard R" isn't what poisoned that movie. So, who cares what the rating is when the script and actors will be the bigger hurdles.

Yeah fair, I guess Alien 3 was more of what I wanted from an Alien movie than Aliens was - although to elaborate on this point, the original 'wooden monk planet' just sounded incredible!
ellis-world1.jpg

Yah that concept was pretty wacky in a good way. It makes me yearn for a George Miller directed Alien movie for some reason.

JTripper

I just recently watched the first 3 Alien movies for the first time ever. Alien 3 was so uninteresting it might as well just not exist. I don't even know if I should give Resurrection a chance and just skip it and watch Prometheus.

Akahige

It could be a loose wet R for all I care, as long as it's good and not just beautiful to look at.
ellis-world1.jpg
Yeah that thing sounded really great, I recall reading that Ward would possibly rewrite the script into something original to do.

Syriel

Yup, this is meaningless. Nobody thought the problem with Prometheus was that its violence was neutered and there wasn't enough gore. The problem was the script was shit, the characters were awful, and Ridley Scott's bad ideas were a core piece of that.

Prometheus = Let's take a bunch of really smart people and have them do really stupid shit for no discernible reason.

I just recently watched the first 3 Alien movies for the first time ever. Alien 3 was so uninteresting it might as well just not exist. I don't even know if I should give Resurrection a chance and just skip it and watch Prometheus.

Prometheus is almost as skip worthy as Resurrection. Almost. If you didn't like 3 than the other two will likely be outright painful. You should watch them.

TheXbox

Nah buddy.

Nah.
I'd offer you some in-depth explanation as to why you're wrong but I fell asleep halfway through the four hour Assembly Cut and then I woke up and there was a dog or a cow fetus running up and down some hallways with a GoPro. Then Ripley leaps off a cliff into a pit of lava and dies, and I thought, gee, that's a really good analogy for this movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom