• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Alien: Covenant sequel already has a title

nemiroff

Gold Member
Prometheus made me sad, and Covenant killed the little of hope that was left. Man, they have such a great platform (Alien and Aliens) to build this on, why can't they make this thing work, it's frustrating! I'm crossing my fingers for a miracle tho.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
remember liking Prometheus, but not Covenant let me down I guess I thought we were gunna learn about the aliens that made the aliens and it ended up being super gory and sad

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
I thought Ripley's death was quite fitting. Sacrificing herself to stop WU corp and killing the "last" alien. Other than that though the movie is not very good.

Yes it was a very selfless and heroic act. But she did it as she had nothing else to live for. They took everything from her and planted an alien inside her, which was totally unnecessary. They killed Newt whom she saw as her own daughter (replacing her biological daughter who died naturally), and they killed Hicks who she saw as her partner. Then just to really insult us further she’s impregnated with an alien (a queen of course).

Cameron had set things up brilliantly for Alien 3. We had 3 new heroes to root for who survived Aliens and they decided to kill them all, two without any screen time. It made their survival, stories and characters totally irrelevant and I believe that Alien 3 is the main reason why the franchise is dead in the water.

The prequels are just complete and utter shite. The only good thing I can say about either of them is that Prometheus looks great.

In Alien we had claustrophobic space horror suspense. One of the best science fiction movies in history.

In Aliens we had heart stomping sci fi horror action. One of the best action movies in history.

In Alien 3 we had shit CGI and lots of brown corridors.

In Alien 4 we had Buffy pop culture cheese in space.

In Prometheus we had BBC Planet Earth location shots.

In Covenent we had an android playing a flute.

Yes it was a very selfless and heroic act. But she did it as she had nothing else to live for. They took everything from her and planted an alien inside her, which was totally unnecessary. They killed Newt whom she saw as her own daughter (replacing her biological daughter who died naturally), and they killed Hicks who she saw as her partner. Then just to really insult us further she’s impregnated with an alien (a queen of course).

Cameron had set things up brilliantly for Alien 3. We had 3 new heroes to root for who survived Aliens and they decided to kill them all, two without any screen time. It made their survival, stories and characters totally irrelevant and I believe that Alien 3 is the main reason why the franchise is dead in the water.

The prequels are just complete and utter shite. The only good thing I can say about either of them is that Prometheus looks great.

In Alien we had claustrophobic space horror suspense. One of the best science fiction movies in history.

In Aliens we had heart stomping sci fi horror action. One of the best action movies in history.

In Alien 3 we had shit CGI and lots of brown corridors.

In Alien 4 we had Buffy pop culture cheese in space.

In Prometheus we had BBC Planet Earth location shots.

In Covenent we had an android playing a flute.
I love Prometheus because it's not and Alien movie. It's STILL one of the few movies ( I saw in theaters) that I can remember in recent memory that made me think about it in a philosophical way. I wanted to dissect it, understand it's themes and what the movie was trying to say. IMO its a flawed but beautiful though provoking movie.

As for Alien 3 I agree with everything you said.

Mr White

i honestly don't even remember what happened in Covenant
This was probably the most memorable moment:
ezgif-4-d45736cb3469.gif

Acclaimed director Ridley Scott has shared his thoughts on the future of the Alien franchise, particularly his idea for a third prequel film.

Speaking to the LA Times in a recent interview, Scott spoke openly about a prospective return to the 40-year-old sci-fi franchise, saying that he would like to see the next Alien film explore the secret origins of the Xenomorph eggs from the original 1979 classic.

"I still think there's a lot of mileage in Alien, but I think you'll have to now re-evolve," he admitted. "What I always thought when I was making the first one [was] why would a creature like this be made and why was it travelling in what I always thought was a kind of war-craft, which was carrying a cargo of these eggs. What was the purpose of the vehicle and what was the purpose of the eggs? That's the thing to question - who, why, and for what purpose is the next idea, I think."

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
It#s hard to be optimistic for that series anymore.

Terminator, AIiens, Predator, and Robocop.

* All 4 are 80's hardcore sci-fi franchise films
* All 4 have two good films and one 3rd film in their OG trilogies that are contentious at best (yes, I'm counting Predators).
* All 4 have had an attempt or two... or three at being revived. All attempts have been bad.
* All 4 need to be put to rest forever. Let their stories continue in other mediums, maybe. But, they're done when it comes to the big screen.

Rat Rage

kingbean

Dunno why but the title of this thread fucked me up because instead of reading it as The "Alien: Covenant" I kept reading "The Alien: Covenant" and it was breaking my fucking brain for some reason.

Also the movie was shit and doesn't need a sequel.

thegame983

I do really like Alien 3. Compared to what came before it's a let down, but as a sci-fi horror I think it's really good. What sells it for me is the prisoners and their casting. They all knock it out of the park.

And that's why I hate the prequels

The side characters are stupid. they are all forgettable and half of them die due to their own stupidity. None of the characters in the original trilogy are incompetent at their jobs (and if they are somehow, they usually redeem themselves before their deaths)

thefool

Only way this is acceptable is if Ridley hires someone to ghost direct with him. He's too old to handle this type of production.

Doom85

NsebzVh.gif

You had a chance with Prometheus. Half the characters were decent, Michael Fassbender killed it as David, and the music and visuals were on point. Some serious flaws, but it was respectable. Then Covenant came along and pissed all over any of that potential. None of the new characters were memorable as there were too many and some dumbass in the editing team removed the prologue scene that set them up (also, sure, show us a great actor like James Franco just to remind us he's not in the movie, BRILLIANT). Kudos to Fassbender as now in two roles he does his absolute best to try to save the film with another great performance. It's not enough, but seriously this guy better have a career after all this, it breaks my heart to see him in shit like this or The Snowman.

And before all this, Alien 3 felt like a middle finger that was given cinematic form, Alien 4 was the definition of "fuck it, let's just be goofy and weird", AvP 1....is actually okay, like the first hour or so is kinda eh but the final hour where the main girl teams with the Predator and they use non-verbal communication to work together is actually cool and unique, but then AvP 2 rears its ugly head and is arguably the worst quality film of the franchise.

You had a chance when the District 9 director came knocking on your door. I admit, I've actually not seen any of his films, but I hear most consider D9 to be a good or great film even if his later work was less consistent apparently. But no, Mr. Scott, you had to be all, "durr, people will get confused if there's two Alien films coming out relatively close to one another but are set far apart in the timeline!" Yeah, it's not like it's the job of a marketing team to make clear what a new installment is going to be, also anyone who knows the Alien movies I'm pretty sure will understand that a movie with Ripley, Hicks, Bishop, and Newt is not set anywhere near Covenant. FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Covenant is insultingly stupid above all else.

Pretty much every story beat is an unconvincing contrivance to move events along.

Putting your face directly into a sloppy alien egg intentionally has to be the dumbest movie moment of all time

Last edited:

GymWolf

I thought it was not possible doing worst than prometheus but then covenant comes out...
Curious to see how much worse is gonna be the next project.

Top Bottom