• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott confirms Prometheus 2 is his next film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

If Lindelof is really not involved, maybe Prometheus 2: The Adventures of
Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender's Head
can be something worthwhile.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
If Lindelof is really not involved, maybe Prometheus 2: The Adventures of
Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender's Head
can be something worthwhile.

Lindelof wanted to set the sequel in Biblical times and tell Ridley's Space Jesus story, so it's quite a shame really.

Could have been the new Life Of Brian.

I don't even understand what this diss is supposed to mean.

I don't find hokey tales of Ancient Aliens very interesting, let alone profound. It removed the mystery of the Space Jockey and replaced it with bollocks.

Erevador

Seeing the origins of the 'alien' itself and encountering the engineers was great in my opinion.
The engineers were a breathtaking design. They way they looked both so human and so alien at the same time. So well done.
giphy.gif

Drifters

People shitting on Prometheus isn't anything new. While it does deal with the lore of the Xenomorph, it by no means holds a candle to the original 'Alien' movie. I get the desire to finish the story arc since quite frankly, we the audience deserve it.

People who can't look past the films faults (imo) miss some of the truly great things in the film.

People who can't look past the films faults (imo) miss some of the truly great things in the film.

There's nothing "truly great" in the film that has anything to do with its story.

Production design and cinematography get close to "great." Fassbender's performance, too.

The story, and the way that story was told? Nowhere near "great" at all.

Prometheus was better than District 9 and Interstellar combined. It had it's problems but people to were too eager to find flaws in ways they are not with other films.

glaurung

Hype get.

I hope we get more crazy alien lore and less quasi-religious bullshit this time around. Fassbender will steal the show, even if he is just a head in a bag.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Seeing the origins of the 'alien' itself and encountering the engineers was great in my opinion.

even if by the end of the film we learn practically nothing?

Why did the engineers create the goo? Why is there a crucified alien sculpture on the engineers' ship? Why does the crash site look so similar to another crash site on a different planet in the same system? Why did they want to send the ship to Earth? Why does the goo react so differently to everything it touches? Why did those two scientists decide to play with the alien snake? Why did everybody take off their helmets? How come that one guy turned into a zombie but the other one instead impregnated his girlfriend with "goo sperm"? How the hell did that octopus creature grow to be so large if it was locked in a sterile room with nothing to eat for all that time? Why did a surgery machine programmed to operate on a male know how to perform a cesarean? And those are just the things I remember...The amount of questions makes my head hurt...

The engineers were a breathtaking design. They way they looked both so human and so alien at the same time. So well done.
giphy.gif

I'll give full credit to the film for a handful of breathtaking scenes and moments, but all together they amount to 20% of the screen time max!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Prometheus Pros:

Gorgeous looking
Kinda Scary
Lawrence of Arabia
Interesting origin premise

Prometheus Cons:

FATHER!
Alien Dude (complete lack of) Explanation
Snake Idiot
Guy who isn't on the spaceship to make friends

If I could be bothered I'd edit a version with an easy fix. Lawrence talks to the Alien dude, explaining in captions that he's a robit. The Alien dude is all like, "What!? we hate robits and computers and artificial life because all our technology is based on real life like we keep in these dangerous jars" Then goes HAM.

I hope we get more crazy alien lore and less quasi-religious bullshit this time around.

We didn't really get any "lore" - and what we did is directly tied to quasi-religious bullshit.

Did you know: the quasi-religious bullshit was specifically played up and inserted at Ridley Scott's request because he misunderstood a throwaway joke Jon Spaihts made in his original draft and thought the idea of an engineer actually being Jesus was meant to be taken seriously?

Erevador

Prometheus is not a stupid film, it leaves a lot of questions unanswered because that is the kind of film it is.

Blade Runner is similar, and also got a "it's beautiful, but the story..." reaction when it came out.

I think time will be kind to Prometheus, as it was to Blade Runner.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I would rather see Neil Blomkamp's Alien sequel, than Prometheus II!

I wouldn't.

Blomkamp's last two have been stinkers and his new Alien film sounds like bad fanfic.

Not saying Scott is much better, but I have a tiny bit more faith in him.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
How the fuck does this shitty movie get a sequel, but nothing for Dredd. Fucking hate the movie industry.

Busty

Banned
*sigh*

No one wants this film Ridley. Just let The Martian be your last 'space film' so you don't end up leaving a horrible taste in everyone's mouth.

I would rather see Neil Blomkamp's Alien sequel, than Prometheus II!

I would rather see a naked, greased up Donald Trump on a mini trampoine than either of these films.

Seriously. They both sound just horrible.

How the fuck does this shitty movie get a sequel, but nothing for Dredd. Fucking hate the movie industry.

To be fair at least some people (mistakenly) went to go and see Prometheus at the cinema.

No one turned up to see Dredd.

soqquatto

Prometheus was great. The internet backlash against it was ridiculous. People were expecting James Cameron, they got Ridley Scott.

It's a great companion piece to Alien and Blade Runner.

"The internet backlash against it was ridiculous" there's also real people in the real world who found the infuriatingly stupid characters carrying out a paper thin plot rather disappointing. visually it was nice, that is all.

even if by the end of the film we learn practically nothing?

Why did the engineers create the goo? Why is there a crucified alien sculpture on the engineers' ship? Why does the crash site look so similar to another crash site on a different planet in the same system? Why did they want to send the ship to Earth? Why does the goo react so differently to everything it touches? Why did those two scientists decide to play with the alien snake? Why did everybody take off their helmets? How come that one guy turned into a zombie but the other one instead impregnated his girlfriend with "goo sperm"? How the hell did that octopus creature grow to be so large if it was locked in a sterile room with nothing to eat for all that time? Why did a surgery machine programmed to operate on a male know how to perform a cesarean? And those are just the things I remember...The amount of questions makes my head hurt...
Sometimes I don't mind having questions at the end of a movie, I like having some things left to my imagination. All of those are valid questions but I don't really get hung up on them when watching films. Why did the engineers create the weaponized bio-weapon goop? I don't know, maybe they were at war with some other species millions of years ago. Maybe it reacts differently for each person given their own individual DNA makeup. These questions don't really take away from the movie for me, it's just a mystery that maybe I'll learn about in the future. I just thought it was enjoyable seeing the origins of things, regardless of all the questions surrounding them.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
One made money and the other didn't. Blame people not seeing the movie and not the studio.

Dredd has been very successful on blu-ray and dvd, it certainly has gained at least a cult following.

How successful was Prometheus? How anyone could enjoy that movie is beyond me.

How about you try connecting Prometheus 2 to Alien finally?

The fact that Prometheus cock teased us by not even taking place on LV-426 was freaking annoying.

aerts1js

Sometimes I don't mind having questions at the end of a movie, I like having some things left to my imagination. All of those are valid questions but I don't really get hung up on them when watching films. Why did the engineers create the weaponized bio-weapon goop? I don't know, maybe they were at war with some other species millions of years ago. Maybe it reacts differently for each person given their own individual DNA makeup. These questions don't really take away from the movie for me, it's just a mystery that maybe I'll learn about in the future. I just thought it was enjoyable seeing the origins of things, regardless of all the questions surrounding them.

Yeah, i'm sorta the same way. I don't need every question answered to enjoy a movie/story. Some things are just better left to the imagination.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Prometheus is not a stupid film, it leaves a lot of questions unanswered because that is the kind of film it is.

Blade Runner is similar, and also got a "it's beautiful, but the story..." reaction when it came out.

I think time will be kind to Prometheus, as it was to Blade Runner.

It is an incredibly stupid film.

Engineers seed life, watch over us, invite us to a planet for no apparent reason where events which should be a prequel but are a different planet so that's ok play out, where a religious scientist discovers over Christmas that our creators hate us and wanted to kill us for crucifying Space Jesus, who would have succeeded if they hadn't been breathtakingly incompetent despite playing around with magic black goo for literally billions of years, encounters a half-size Space Jockey who's not a space elephant but actually a half-sized albino with anger-management issues and a fake trunk attachment, but heads off to Paradise to find more answers anyway with her severed robot head.

Amazing, only time will be able to do this one justice.

aerts1js

Dredd has been very successful on blu-ray and dvd, it certainly has gained at least a cult following.

How successful was Prometheus? How anyone could enjoy that movie is beyond me.

Prometheus made over $400 million world wide and Dredd made $35 million. It's not even close. People enjoy different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom