• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

Dr.Morris79

Not sure, it's not a game pass app so you don't need a persistent check in. They also recently removed the one time online requirement for Xbox One apps.

If you keep it offline and it still continues to work, I guess you can keep it indefinitely.

But I think at this point it just makes more sense to go dev mode.

They were fine as long as the emulation was limited to Retroarch and PS2 but as soon as people started emulating Xbox 360, shit got real for them :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I'll dig em out and see over the weekend, this has so pissed me off! It was one of the main reasons I loved the consoles! If all else fails, dev mode it is, pfft.

Yeah I reckon having the 360 pushed the boat over, I knew it was a bad idea, and to be honest it was a fucking stupid one. Why push it to things MS is selling on their very own store ffs.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
What they wanted to say but couldn't is that they want you to cough up the 20 bucks to still use your emulators, just now in developer mode.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Interesting comment from that QA email.

That said, we are still exploring ways to allow safe and legal emulation on Xbox. We are in talks with legitimate emulator developers to bring their software onto our platform while ensuring that all copyright laws and security protocols are followed.

Banned
Good question, I'm not sure as I've never used it.

01011001 01011001 any input ?

no idea about dev mode, but optimally you have everything important on a USB drive and simply set your folders to that again after installing the Dev Mode emulator.

I doubt you can use retail apps in dev mode

Last edited:

Banned
Interesting comment from that QA email.

they should work with emulation devs like Steam does.
Dolphin and Retroarch are on Steam now, no amount of bickering from Nintendo will change that.

just allow the damn Emulators to be on the store.

apparently DF will talk about it, and I hope Microsoft will listen! there are plenty of people that got a Series S partly for emulation, and they should embrace that.
after all they're all about bringing PC and Console closer.

Banned
If it’s really due to Nintendo, I’d expect the announced Dolphin on Steam to be cancelled as well, right?
If that doesn’t happen, I’ll find it hard to believe Nintendo is behind this.

Nintendo has zero legal ways to stop Dolphin on Steam or on Xbox.
the issue is more likely that Microsoft doesn't want to be on the bad guys list of Nintendo due to future Switch ports they're planning...

if Nintendo blocked Xbox Live log-in in games released on Switch then Microsoft's whole crossplay system would stop working on Switch for example, and they don't want that.

but the thing is, I bet Nintendo wouldn't do shit, because they know that Microsoft could just stop beingin Minecraft to their system if they fucked around too much, and that wouldn't be good for them either.

Banned
just tested all my Emulators,
non of my installs still works... EXCEPT XBSX2 lol

my XBSX2 install from a few months ago still working without issue. not even Duckstation still works, and that's a way older install that could have fallen through the cracks.

anyone else's XBSX2 still working? I'm curious if they missed thar emulator completely

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
just tested all my Emulators,
non of my installs still works... EXCEPT XBSX2 lol

my XBSX2 install from a few months ago still working without issue. not even Duckstation still works, and that's a way older install that could have fallen through the cracks.

anyone else's XBSX2 still working? I'm curious if they missed thar emulator completely

Nope, just tested now, even XBSX2 in retail is not working anymore.

RIP.

Banned
Nope, just tested now, even XBSX2 in retail is not working anymore.

RIP.

I guess the version I have installed somehow fell through the cracks at Microsoft.

fingers crossed that it'll stay that way lol.

for the other emulators I guess I'll have to go back to PC :/
oh well... time to copy over my save files n shit

Banned
I don't buy the Nintendo shit at all. You can emulate Nintendo's games everywhere. It's a peculiar coincidence that the moment Xenia came out, MS destroyed emulation.

It's all bait and switch by MS.

could be that Xenia crossed the line for them yes.
they might had some publishers, that still sell their 360 games, complain about it being able to play their games they still sell

Klosshufvud

could be that Xenia crossed the line for them yes.
they might had some publishers, that still sell their 360 games, complain about it being able to play their games they still sell
Doubt publishers cared since selling old games is just free money and you can pirate those games with ease on PC regardless. I personally pin this squarely on MS. They probably made a calculation that those that bought Series for emulation had already done so. And when Xenia was out, they didn't see much more business in keeping this going. So they kill emulation and now everyone has a Series that only plays games you must buy from MS.

Why in the world would Nintendo even care when you can emulate their games on literally every smartphone and PC device anyways?

cireza

Doubt publishers cared since selling old games is just free money and you can pirate those games with ease on PC regardless. I personally pin this squarely on MS. They probably made a calculation that those that bought Series for emulation had already done so. And when Xenia was out, they didn't see much more business in keeping this going. So they kill emulation and now everyone has a Series that only plays games you must buy from MS.

Why in the world would Nintendo even care when you can emulate their games on literally every smartphone and PC device anyways?
You have most probably forgotten that Nintendo recently sued the entire internet and that roms and isos were actively removed by the vast majority of the websites providing them. I also think that they did take action against Dolphin at some point. Nintendo are still selling many of these games through re-releases and paid subscription.

Last edited:

Banned
You have most probably forgotten that Nintendo recently sued the entire internet and that roms and isos were actively removed by the vast majority of the websites providing them. I also think that they did take action against Dolphin at some point. Nintendo are still selling many of these games through re-releases and paid subscription.

yeah but Nintendo has no legal grounds to do anything in this case.
this is, if anything, a move for MS to stay at good terms with them.

Valve, Google and Amazon don't care thankfully.

Sleepwalker

Not surprised. It was a very interesting experience, but I was already setup for all these consoles, and had removed the apps recently. I never thought that it was going to last for long, not on an actively supported console.

I still recommend getting a Wii U for anything 8/16 bits + Gamepad for handheld gaming + GC/Wii compatibility. Honestly the value is insane.

Series still offers a ton of OG/360/One/Series games. Great value as well.
Interesting, how would you go about setting up the Wii U as the ultimate emulation machine, specially now the eshops gone?

Ive never had one and im quite interested in it tbf

cireza

this is, if anything, a move for MS to stay at good terms with them.
This is obviously the reason. You don't want to engage in complicated situation with a competitor you are trying to stay in good terms.

Interesting, how would you go about setting up the Wii U as the ultimate emulation machine, specially now the eshops gone?
Simply through softmodding. You can find resources on the internet.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I was going to open up a new thread about this....the thing is the Dolphin emulation for Xbox may have seemed like good on paper, but really it wasn't standalone because it was reliant on the service that was running on Discord....if the apps were down on there, then on your Xbox it would be down too, I found the whole process very frustrating, I barely got Retroarch to work for just one day and even then the emulation wasn't perfect...and now with what was thought of as a god send with this standalone emulator, even that didn't work despite following what was said in a tutorial video...none of the games would appear on the dashboard of the app......so all in all unless you've got a beefy PC you might as well just buy a used Nintendo Wii to play the cube games without relying on whether it will work tomorrow or not, which was the case with these emulators..

So on a separate note what is the best way to play the Gamecube and original Xbox console on modern TVs?

Banned
I was going to open up a new thread about this....the thing is the Dolphin emulation for Xbox may have seemed like good on paper, but really it wasn't standalone because it was reliant on the service that was running on Discord.

uhm... no it wasn't... no idea where you got that idea from, but all the Emulators worked like any normal game. you could literally use then offline and everything.

I bet if you had your system offline before they blocked them, they all still work because they never got the server update to block them

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

uhm... no it wasn't... no idea where you got that idea from, but all the Emulators worked like any normal game. you could literally use then offline and everything
Yeah well to me it gave that impression because whilst I was trying to get the app to run after downloading it from the store, when I checked the status of things on Discord it showed the symbol of the apps being down/unavailable...and like I said I followed the tutorial video exactly...ie formatting the USB stick etc....using the correct files etc...but still nothing showing up...

Banned
Yeah well to me it gave that impression because whilst I was trying to get the app to run after downloading it from the store, when I checked the status of things on Discord it showed the symbol of the apps being down/unavailable...and like I said I followed the tutorial video exactly...ie formatting the USB stick etc....using the correct files etc...but still nothing showing up...

so your USB drive didn't work or something?
well, I think some people had that issue on the subreddit.
usually a correctly configured USB drive fixed it.
alternatively if nothing worked you could always send them to the internal storage through FTP

RAIDEN1

so your USB drive didn't work or something?
well, I think some people had that issue on the subreddit.
usually a correctly configured USB drive fixed it.
alternatively if nothing worked you could always send them to the internal storage through FTP
The emulator had recognised that the files were on the stick, but they were not showing up on the dashboard, and I couldn't understand it...and then as mentioned when I decided to check what was the status of things on Discord it said the app was unavailable...I then uninstalled the app from the console as it wasn't much use having it on there....I checked again on Discord and it was still down....then ironically when I decided to give the Xbox a break and go back onto the PS4 Pro...I got told that yes everything is back online the apps are working all fine...didn't think anything of it at the time....and then yesterday's bombshell came!

I still have my original question though if anyone can provide an insight? What is the best way to play the Cube and Xbox original on modern TVs? Anyone thinking of getting a 2nd hand Wii to get around the cube problem?

Banned
I still have my original question though if anyone can provide an insight? What is the best way to play the Cube and Xbox original on modern TVs? Anyone thinking of getting a 2nd hand Wii to get around the cube problem?

for GameCube either a Wii or a Wii U.

on Wii U you can mod it so that you can play GameCube games on the Gamepad as well, which has a 480p screen, perfectly matching the GameCube's output.

of course Dolphin is by far the best way to play most GameCube games.
Dolphin also runs really well on most modern PCs

for og Xbox, either get an Xbox and a component or HDMI cable for it, which will give you an OK image for SD games, and a really good image for the games that support 720p like THPS4, Soul Calibur 2, and Amped 2.

or use an emulator like CXBX Reloaded or Xemu.

Banned
and then as mentioned when I decided to check what was the status of things on Discord it said the app was unavailable..

that was only related to the ability to download them and nothing more.

I am currently playing through Chibi Robo on Dolphin... which I did on Xbox and now have to continue on PC... and I played it literally yesterday, an hour before the mass takedown of Emulators, and Dolphin worked without issue even tho it was "unavailable" for multiple days at that point.

in fact the Emulators were only ever available for like 2 days each week. they would usually get re-uploaded on Friday or Saturday, and then got taken down by Microsoft by Monday or at the latest on Tuesday.

and I used Dolphin all the time for Chibi Robo, Mario Sunshine and The Last Story.

RAIDEN1

that was only related to the ability to download them and nothing more.

I am currently playing through Chibi Robo on Dolphin... which I did on Xbox and now have to continue on PC... and I played it literally yesterday, an hour before the mass takedown of Emulators, and Dolphin worked without issue even tho it was "unavailable" for multiple days at that point.

in fact the Emulators were only ever available for like 2 days each week. they would usually get re-uploaded on Friday or Saturday, and then got taken down by Microsoft by Monday or at the latest on Tuesday.

and I used Dolphin all the time for Chibi Robo, Mario Sunshine and The Last Story.
Well it at the moment remains unexplained as to why none of the games were showing up on the dashboard even though the app could see the files...so where do things ultimately stand right now....can dolphin still be used through dev mode, or will that also get taken down soon? In the absence of having a powerful PC surely the most easiest and convenient option would be to get a Wii/Wii U?

Banned
Well it at the moment remains unexplained as to why none of the games were showing up on the dashboard even though the app could see the files...so where do things ultimately stand right now....can dolphin still be used through dev mode, or will that also get taken down soon? In the absence of having a powerful PC surely the most easiest and convenient option would be to get a Wii/Wii U?

Dev mode will probably always work. as Microsoft can not really control what you install on there.

as for GC, without emulation, a Wii or Wii U would be the only decent way.
the issue being that neither will give you a good image on an HDTV that's any better than an actual GameCube with component cable.

the Wii can read GC discs, the Wii U can't, so on Wii U you'll need homebrew apps to run GameCube ISOs

the Wii U has that GamePad bonus, I played GC games like that for a while and it was pretty nice due to the smaller 480p screen making them look really nice.
and the Wii U has native HDMI support of course, while you'll need a third party option for that on GC and Wii.

Last edited:

Esppiral

Why did they have to nuke the FTP app also lol.
It allowed you to dump game discs, not that you can do anything with them but it was possible plus content from the HDD you shouldn't be able to access

Last edited:

DryvBy

The Jazz Jackrabbit app still runs!

Honestly if they dump dev mode emulation, I'm selling my Xbox. Their new content and GP is a complete waste of my time so this thing has been an emulator box for the past several months. I'm not pulling out my NES and SNES so my kid can get peanut butter and boogers all over those controllers too.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom