• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series's Retail mode no longer allowing emulators, Xbox starts banning users (15 day suspension warnings)

Ozriel

M$FT
What is this and what is going on?

Terrible thread title.

It’s about running emulators on Xbox in ‘retail mode’. Basically the standard mode you boot your Xbox into.

Another reason not to own an xbox, gg.
Even less incentive to buy an Xbox. Good job Microsoft.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Fredrik

No fun allowed.

At what point do we pass the line where it would be better to just ditch the Xbox and have a living room PC instead?

Serious question, what are the downsides?
Would I miss XB1, 360, Xbox games or are those emulated on PC?

I really just want one box to run old and new games. No jank.

Ozriel

M$FT
The very idea that it would be fine in retail was dumb to begin with. What were people expecting ?

I mean, if Valve is caving to Nintendo, I’m not sure what anyone expects MS to do.

No fun allowed.

At what point do we pass the line where it would be better to just ditch the Xbox and have a living room PC instead?

Those are emulated on PC. If you can build a SFF PC that’s powerful enough, go for it.

Fredrik

Those are emulated on PC. If you can build a SFF PC that’s powerful enough, go for it.
Emulated without issues?
Can I use my old discs?
Would I miss out on frame boost or could I get that through emulators?
What’s a SFF PC?

List all the downsides. I’m seriously considering this. Would mean I could play Starfield with mods and at 60fps in the couch with home theater sound 👌

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Emulated without issues?
Can I use my old discs?
What’s a SFF PC?

List all the downsides. I’m seriously considering this. Would mean I could play Starfield with mods and at 60fps in the couch with home theater sound 👌
From my experience emulation is far from perfect, although it iis a few months back it was not really stable with lots of dips...That beiing said my emulator has been updated like 10 times since so maybe it is better now.And it is also possible that I wanted to play the wrong games too.

Ozriel

M$FT
Emulated without issues?
Can I use my old discs?
What’s a SFF PC?

SFF = ‘small form factor’. Just means your PC in a compact, attractive case. Nobody wants an ugly monstrosity in their living room.

With a powerful enough GPU and CPU combo, you can build a PC significantly more powerful than any console. People are fitting powerful CPUs and RTX 4000 series GPUs in small cases

Of course, it’s much more expensive than an xbox…

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Dev mode it up. If you are tinkering you are cool for that.

For xbox to even give you the option is leagues ahead of other platforms but everything xbox must be span as a negative.

Fredrik

Its time for me to sell my XSX and bulid a PC
Could we start a serious thread about a Xbox to PC swap for the living room? No platform warring allowed, only serious talk. Is it possible? Maybe with help from mods to keep the talk serious?

With no emulators and MS not doing a Pro I’m thinking I’ll use the XSX much less going forward, will use PS5 Pro for multiplats, leaving XSX used for 1st party games and some of those I already play on PC, plus the occasional console exclusive Gamepass release. The kids play some Lego games and Viva Pinata too.

But I need unbiased and detailed info about all the upsides and downsides before doing a swap, all the real consequences from seriously not owning a Xbox. ”Just buy a PC” has never been a realistic option.

Plus, I would like case recommendations, fans vs AIO water cooling, etc

Tips for emulators needed for XB/360/XB1, possible consequences there too and if possible tips how to work around issues and avoid jank.

No fun allowed.

Well you won't find any more jank than on Windows. However, it's made by the same people who did the Xbox OS, so..

TransTrender

Gold Member
Is this rolling out internationally and how much impact will this have on their market share in certain regions?

Xbox can fuck right off with this banning. My ancient 360 is perma banned. Not my account. My whole fkn console. Not even game updates. Nothing.

Just because I played halo3 before release…. Single player…
Did this happen back then or just recently?

Last edited:

RobRSG

Much less convenient
I also think it is less convenient, but it was the only sane choice in my thinking. I did Dev Mode from the get go to avoid getting on white lists, Discord channels, potential MS blocks and bans.

And it paid off in the end.

If you want to depend on shady builds just because you want convenience at the cost of the uncertainty if things will work on the next day or not, be my guest.

RobRSG

Could we start a serious thread about a Xbox to PC swap for the living room? No platform warring allowed, only serious talk. Is it possible? Maybe with help from mods to keep the talk serious?

With no emulators and MS not doing a Pro I’m thinking I’ll use the XSX much less going forward, will use PS5 Pro for multiplats, leaving XSX used for 1st party games and some of those I already play on PC, plus the occasional console exclusive Gamepass release. The kids play some Lego games and Viva Pinata too.

But I need unbiased and detailed info about all the upsides and downsides before doing a swap, all the real consequences from seriously not owning a Xbox. ”Just buy a PC” has never been a realistic option.

Plus, I would like case recommendations, fans vs AIO water cooling, etc

Tips for emulators needed for XB/360/XB1, possible consequences there too and if possible tips how to work around issues and avoid jank.
Windows jank is way more intense than switching to Dev Mode…

Not a reasonable take.

Fredrik

Windows jank is way more intense than switching to Dev Mode…

Not a reasonable take.
I use Windows every day. Zero jank. 🤷‍♂️
And the computer is always on. Steam up. Takes seconds to start gaming.

On Xbox I first have to go into a menu to reboot in dev mode, I clocked it when dev mode was new but can’t remember the time now, was a couple minutes, it’s not like a normal reboot.

Fredrik

So what's your issue then?
I first have to go into a menu to reboot in dev mode, I clocked it when dev mode was new but can’t remember the time now, was a couple minutes, it’s not like a normal reboot
That’s the main issue. It just takes too long to reboot, essentially means I don’t bother using it.

In retail mode it’s just like going through the normal app list, takes seconds to go from Hi-Fi Rush to Super Metroid and then back again.

RobRSG

I think the big elephant in the room is that people treat the whole topic of “emulation on retail mode” as it was something advertised like a feature by MS. And now that MS takes point, probably because of Xenia got too close to the sun (I mean it runs X360 games they were unable to secure licenses for the BC), they are angry.

Then you get comments like “one less reason to buy a Xbox” and other brain dead similar stuff.

DevMode is still open to the public and it is worth for what it is, you switch to it, play your retro stuff, switch back to retail whenever you want. Headache zero, and free of PC jank.

Top Bottom