• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series's Retail mode no longer allowing emulators, Xbox starts banning users (15 day suspension warnings)

alienator

FapHhYlXkAAwW7m

pro's:
- plays anything up to the psx/saturn/n64 generation (n64 soon out)
- boots in 3 sec
- no lag
- up to 4k with scanlines and shizzle
- connect whatever the f u want as controller
- tons of legit arcade board goodness
- you are not a peasant
- no lag
-u cant be banned

con's:
- 300$+
- no ps2 or beyond possible until we get bigger fpga's
- cant participate in console wars
- being ignored in public when u mention its the best there is

El Muerto

Meanwhile, you have people cracking open their Playstations and Switch just to mod them to play roms, risking a console ban, not a 15 day ban. Buy dev mode, or buy an old SFF or USFF office pc on ebay. I have both the series S and X, but bought an old office pc with a 7th gen i5 for $40 and use as a htpc. Found a RX6400 for $60 on FB marketplace, now i can play systems up to the Switch/PS3/360. The 7th gen i5 alone can emulate ps2/gc at 2x-3x resolution. Setup Kodi with the IAGL addon and you'll have an insane front end to launch roms in retroarch.

sainraja

Honestly, while those arguing "Microsoft never advertised this!" aren't wrong, it's another blow to consumers that bought into the Xbox ecosystem for a feature only to lose it down the line.

• Retail mode emulation DEAD
  • OG Xbox backwards compatibility regular additions DEAD
  • Xbox 360 backwards compatibility regular additions DEAD
  • Xbox Enhanced BC program DEAD
  • FPS Boost program DEAD
  • Microsoft Rewards NERFED
  • Xbox Play Anywhere program TITLES FEW AND FAR BETWEEN
  • Xbox Live Gold -> Game Pass Ultimate conversion trick NERFED

It just hasn't been the fun, uniquely appealing ecosystem that it used to be as the years have gone by. The above are what kept me invested when the exclusives weren't coming.
What's weird is, if they really are killing off those features for good, they are doing it so quickly. I thought it would have been gradual, if anything.

Fredrik

Your best bet would just be launching all the games from Steam.

You won't have a nice controller driven UI for downloading from other launchers and the like. But once the games are linked you can launch everything from Big Picture Mode.
Hmm yeah.
And there is no big screen mode for Windows Store games?
Swapping between two launchers would be better than have to do a 4 minute reboot. As long as I can do it from a controller… No mouse and keyboard in the living room. I want the slouching in the couch experience.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Sure I could do that but I wouldn’t get that sweet one box for everything with everything accessed from the same menu like I did with the Xbox and Retroarch on retail mode. And the living room PC strategy could come with other benefits like mods and no 30fps.

You wouldn't get that with a PC that you seem to be planning on buying either, Keep it coming...

Your best bet would just be launching all the games from Steam.

You won't have a nice controller driven UI for downloading from other launchers and the like. But once the games are linked you can launch everything from Big Picture Mode.

Playnite is an incredible solution for this.

I use it with my PC setup and it pulls in all of my Xbox / Game Pass titles, EA titles, Steam titles, Ubisoft titles, etc.. etc.. AND all of my emulated games under one really smooth, pretty, controller focused interface.

It's as close to "console-like" as you can get on the PC side of tings.

Eh… It was you who seemed so sure that planned setup would not work.
I have a PC and XBox mate. Whichever one you use will need switching. Steam games aren't instant loaders and Windows games don't load like lighting.

Me, I keep the PC for the Internet and use the Series S for Emu and the Series X for gaming. Note: you can have both consoles powered on at once and so only need to switch HDMI inputs on the TV (its takes 4 seconds)

Last edited:

Killer8

The writing was on the wall when they initially blocked the apps from working earlier this year. It was inevitable that this wouldn't last and any attempt to skirt the ban was going to be futile. It's not surprising they are now doing account bans but it's still kind of shocking in a way, given it's such a niche use case and no copyright is being breached by the emulators existing.

I'm now firmly back into emulating on PC (and Steam Deck). No rules controlling what I can do with my own hardware or what software I can use, and I don't have to worry about my shit randomly stopping working one day. It was a big feather in the cap of the Xbox Series, the convenience of neatly having it all in one box under the TV ready to go, so it certainly reduces the appeal of the console however which way you cut it. And dev mode is absolutely not a replacement for retail - functionally sure, but in terms of convenience it's nowhere close to what retail mode apps offered.

Ozriel

M$FT
What's weird is, if they really are killing off those features for good, they are doing it so quickly. I thought it would have been gradual, if anything.

They ended the BC program ages ago, and were transparent about it. The BC library is the feature, not a perennial support for new BC additions.

List is pretty much nonsense. People sneaking in retail apps to the console isn’t a feature. The advertised and promoted feature is dev mode, and that’s still up.

sainraja

They ended the BC program ages ago, and were transparent about it. The BC library is the feature, not a perennial support for new BC additions.
Well, yeah, you would hope they are transparent about stopping support for a feature they added. If you are saying they stopped it after adding support for all their libraries (minus the ones with licensing issues), then I see your point, and that makes sense—no one is making new games for older consoles.

List is pretty much nonsense. People sneaking in retail apps to the console isn’t a feature. The advertised and promoted feature is dev mode, and that’s still up.
If they have taken some things away (advertised or not), dev mode very well could be next. It just depends on why they are doing so.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Wasn't helped by the fact that people were uploading screenshots and videos from copyrighted games from other consoles onto XBL, since the emulators were treated as retail apps with access to XBL.

Wow! That's crazy. So gamers help kill this feature then.

MarkMe2525

Wasn't helped by the fact that people were uploading screenshots and videos from copyrighted games from other consoles onto XBL, since the emulators were treated as retail apps with access to XBL.

Same. Paid $2 for the license via the Turkey region. Haven't noticed any degradation in performance in Dev vs Retail like the old wives tail said.
Watching people talk about this was one of the frustrating experiences I have had this past month. How obvious did it need to be that this needed to be kept in the down low, but no. Have to get that clout no matter what the cost.

Fredrik

I use it with my PC setup and it pulls in all of my Xbox / Game Pass titles, EA titles, Steam titles, Ubisoft titles, etc.. etc.. AND all of my emulated games under one really smooth, pretty, controller focused interface.

That looks perfect 👌

Ozriel

M$FT
Well, yeah, you would hope they are transparent about stopping support for a feature they added. If you are saying they stopped it after adding support for all their libraries (minus the ones with licensing issues), then I see your point, and that makes sense—no one is making new games for older consoles.

I never said they stopped it after adding support for all their library. They made it clear from the start it was a limited program, and they ended it at some point. Transparently.
It was a value added service that the other consoles weren’t offering, so it’s jarring to see it listed up there in red as a negative.

If they have taken some things away (advertised or not), dev mode very well could be next. It just depends on why they are doing so.

How does Microsoft stopping what amounts to an exploit translate to ‘taking things away’, let alone relate to dropping developer mode, a paid feature? 😂

People were using loopholes to put emu software on a closed platform. I happily download the retail apps when available, but it was clear it was something MS could crack down on at anytime. I’m not sure anyone purchased an Xbox with the belief that this was an officially sanctioned feature.

theclaw135

Banned
Watching people talk about this was one of the frustrating experiences I have had this past month. How obvious did it need to be that this needed to be kept in the down low, but no. Have to get that clout no matter what the cost.

I don't know why anybody would be confused or mistaken about the rules. Microsoft explicitly spells out in the developer guidelines that emulators are prohibited in Microsoft Store apps.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I don't know why anybody would be confused or mistaken about the rules. Microsoft explicitly spells out in the developer guidelines that emulators are prohibited in Microsoft Store apps.
?? Who are you even referring to? I dont think anyone is confused by the rules, that's specifically why I stated it should have been kept on the down low.

Last edited:

sainraja

I never said they stopped it after adding support for all their library. They made it clear from the start it was a limited program, and they ended it at some point. Transparently.
It was a value added service that the other consoles weren’t offering, so it’s jarring to see it listed up there in red as a negative.
Again, if any company is going to "cut off" support, they should be transparent about it. They cut off support... so it is marked in red as a negative. I am not sure why that bothers you so much. Sure, you are fine with them cutting off support (whatever the reason), but you can't enforce your opinion on others who may think otherwise. lol.

How does Microsoft stopping what amounts to an exploit translate to ‘taking things away’, let alone relate to dropping developer mode, a paid feature? 😂
Let's not pretend MS wasn't aware of how it was benefiting them when they looked the other way all this time. Anyway, I don't really get you. People are lamenting about losing a feature they liked (officially supported or not), which is understandable. If you are fine with it, that's great for you lol.

People were using loopholes to put emu software on a closed platform. I happily download the retail apps when available, but it was clear it was something MS could crack down on at anytime. I’m not sure anyone purchased an Xbox with the belief that this was an officially sanctioned feature.
Yeah, people were using loopholes. Loopholes that MS wasn't very interested in shutting down until now. There has definitely been a change of attitude toward those options. How you don't get that, is beyond me. But go ahead, keep pointing out the obvious while I try to remind you that, like it or not, those were things people spoke fondly of when it came to the Xbox; and now they are being removed or "limited".

Last edited:

Fredrik

I’m wondering who gets hurt if some old farts are playing some ancient games they used to play when they were kids? Can’t be many that go this way. And what’s the difference if they do it through dev mode or retail mode?

BlackTron

At what point do we pass the line where it would be better to just ditch the Xbox and have a living room PC instead?

Xbox was never the best box for this, the only reason to use it is because you already have it sitting there and cost. The point at which a real ass PC would be better if you could use one was always.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I’m wondering who gets hurt if some old farts are playing some ancient games they used to play when they were kids? Can’t be many that go this way. And what’s the difference if they do it through dev mode or retail mode?
Ask Nintendo in court.

Ozriel

M$FT
Let's not pretend MS wasn't aware of how it was benefiting them when they looked the other way all this time. Anyway, I don't really get you. People are lamenting about losing a feature they liked (officially supported or not), which is understandable. If you are fine with it, that's great for you lol.

Ironically, a lot of people ‘lamenting’ here don’t own an Xbox console.

They ended BC two years ago, transparently. Adding 76 games as a final parting shot. Here’s the GAF thread about that, and it’s definitely a dramatically different tone than you and the other dude are trying to portray.

Yeah, people were using loopholes. Loopholes that MS wasn't very interested in shutting down until now. There has definitely been a change of attitude toward those options. How you don't get that, is beyond me. But go ahead, keep pointing out the obvious while I try to remind you that, like it or not, those were things people spoke fondly of when it came to the Xbox; and now they are being removed or "limited".

‘Until now’?
They cracked down on the retail method months ago.
They’ve also always blocked UWP emu apps on the MS store from working on Xbox, even from the Xbox One X days.

This is just putting a final stamp on an attempt to revive retail emus.

Keep up with the concern while I try to remind you that most people accepted these were loopholes and suspected it wouldn’t last.

9VKI9gS.jpg

93xfan

Banned
Imagine going this hard on someone because they said they have less reason to own a plastic box now. Why are you taking it so personally?
Just tired of the shit posting for no reason. Purple forum sucks, but at least they don’t allow non stop pot shots like this.

Don’t care if I get banned either. And if mods can remove my post of a list of xbox positives in a different, but relevant thread, they certainly can clamp down on useless warring posts that add nothing to the topic. I’d rather he says “Xbox sucks for the above reason…”, rather than what he posted.

And what is this “plastic box” cult like speak that you all do? If all we are talking about is “plastic boxes,” then you’re free to leave anytime. Make sure to stop by the car forums to let them know they’re talking about hunks of metal on wheels while you’re at it.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Just tired of the shit posting for no reason. Purple forum sucks, but at least they don’t allow non stop pot shots like this.

Don’t care if I get banned either. And if mods can remove my post of a list of xbox positives in a different, but relevant thread, they certainly can clamp down on useless warring posts that add nothing to the topic. I’d rather he says “Xbox sucks for the above reason…”, rather than what he posted.

And what is this “plastic box” cult like speak that you all do? If all we are talking about is “plastic boxes,” then you’re free to leave anytime. Make sure to stop by the car forums to let them know they’re talking about hunks of metal on wheels while you’re at it.
Take it easy. I have lots of people on ignore, including some trolls in this thread, easy fix to make the board calmer. And tbh, it’s just toys. 🤷‍♂️

Schmick

Have you used GOG Galaxy? I've been using GG but I'd be interested to know if Playnite is better?

Same. Paid $2 for the license via the Turkey region. Haven't noticed any degradation in performance in Dev vs Retail like the old wives tail said.
$2?
Legit surprised you don't get these kind of things for free

Mr Rogers Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Buying an xbox for emulation.
What the actual fuck 🤣🤣
The Series S is a damn good emulation box for £199 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Plays everything thrown at it. Well, everything i've thrown at it so far. Anything meatier, well, you'll be paying more than £199 :messenger_beermugs:

SenkiDala

Honestly, while those arguing "Microsoft never advertised this!" aren't wrong, it's another blow to consumers that bought into the Xbox ecosystem for a feature only to lose it down the line.

• Retail mode emulation DEAD
  • OG Xbox backwards compatibility regular additions DEAD
  • Xbox 360 backwards compatibility regular additions DEAD
  • Xbox Enhanced BC program DEAD
  • FPS Boost program DEAD
  • Microsoft Rewards NERFED
  • Xbox Play Anywhere program TITLES FEW AND FAR BETWEEN
  • Xbox Live Gold -> Game Pass Ultimate conversion trick NERFED

It just hasn't been the fun, uniquely appealing ecosystem that it used to be as the years have gone by. The above are what kept me invested when the exclusives weren't coming.
Obviously more and more they're buying studios / publishers, less and less they'll try to pretend to be "the good guys". As you said even though it wasn't advertised all of that were a part of the "Xbox soul", it really disgusts me. With the OG Xbox I was ecstatic, with the 360 I was so happy, with the One it was hard but I liked it somehow, but since the Series... They're losing all of what made Xbox special, to me.

SScorpio

Have you used GOG Galaxy? I've been using GG but I'd be interested to know if Playnite is better?
I haven't tried the controller interface fo PlayNite, but from a multi platform library manager, it's much, much better than GOG Galaxy. Many of the 3rd party library plug-ins stopped working for my in Galaxy, everything is working great through PlayNite.

sainraja

Ironically, a lot of people ‘lamenting’ here don’t own an Xbox console.
Like who?

They ended BC two years ago, transparently. Adding 76 games as a final parting shot. Here’s the GAF thread about that, and it’s definitely a dramatically different tone than you and the other dude are trying to portray.
Did support for BC end? It did. So, it is a negative. They did cut support. You keep putting emphasis on them being transparent," but that's the least any company can do if they are going to stop supporting something. 😂

‘Until now’?
Seriously?
Are you forgetting which thread you are in?

They cracked down on the retail method months ago.
They’ve also always blocked UWP emu apps on the MS store from working on Xbox, even from the Xbox One X days.
OK, what is this thread about then... ?

This is just putting a final stamp on an attempt to revive retail emus.
And so... here we are. Back to the now," which I was referencing.

Keep up with the concern while I try to remind you that most people accepted these were loopholes and suspected it wouldn’t last.
People accepted them? Then why do we have you here attempting to police them? This thread doesn't need you given it's something people have readily accepted and is a perfectly normal step that Microsoft has taken...

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Take it easy. I have lots of people on ignore, including some trolls in this thread, easy fix to make the board calmer. And tbh, it’s just toys. 🤷‍♂️
I hear you. Maybe some of these guys who make stupid posts can put me on ignore instead. Shouldn’t always fall on me to do the ignoring if people are sensitive about being called out.

Ozriel

M$FT
It's not all first party. Off the top of my head, LEGO Star Wars is a Play Anywhere title.

Usually first party + ID@Xbox + a select third party devs MS makes a deal with.

Did support for BC end? It did. So, it is a negative. They did cut support. You keep putting emphasis on them being transparent," but that's the least any company can do if they are going to stop supporting something. 😂

Support for BC didn’t end. BC games still work as well as they’ve ever done.
They’ve stopped adding new games to the list. Nobody sees that as a negative, since the program itself was always an ‘above and beyond’ feature, and never advertised as a full library BC.

Seriously?
Are you forgetting which thread you are in?

OK, what is this thread about then... ?

Again, the main retail crackdown happened in April. Months ago. They stopped turning a blind eye to retail emus and killed the apps.

This renewed crackdown we’re discussing is them now banning a few folks who tried to restart the program after a hiatus.

Doesn’t make sense for you to say MS has turned a blind eye to retail emus until now

People accepted them? Then why do we have you here attempting to police them? This thread doesn't need you given it's something people have readily accepted and is a perfectly normal step that Microsoft has taken...

Me: “I don’t think a loophole people were exploiting counts as a ‘feature’ MS has taken away

You: “Stop policing this thread!! I’m concerned they’ll take away developer mode too”

Top Bottom