• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series's Retail mode no longer allowing emulators, Xbox starts banning users (15 day suspension warnings)

That’s the main issue. It just takes too long to reboot, essentially means I don’t bother using it.

In retail mode it’s just like going through the normal app list, takes seconds to go from Hi-Fi Rush to Super Metroid and then back again.

Pathetic.

I use Windows every day. Zero jank. 🤷‍♂️
And the computer is always on. Steam up. Takes seconds to start gaming.

On Xbox I first have to go into a menu to reboot in dev mode, I clocked it when dev mode was new but can’t remember the time now, was a couple minutes, it’s not like a normal reboot.

So why even use the Xbox for development mode? Just steam up.

Guilty_AI

Could we start a serious thread about a Xbox to PC swap for the living room? No platform warring allowed, only serious talk. Is it possible? Maybe with help from mods to keep the talk serious?
Just make a thread focusing on setting up a PC, with specifications for what you want to do with it. Leave out the Xbox-to-PC part and you'll be less likely to attract warring (though every time a PC thread pops up there are still some 'special' people who like chiming in with pointless comments)

With no emulators and MS not doing a Pro I’m thinking I’ll use the XSX much less going forward, will use PS5 Pro for multiplats, leaving XSX used for 1st party games and some of those I already play on PC, plus the occasional console exclusive Gamepass release. The kids play some Lego games and Viva Pinata too.

But I need unbiased and detailed info about all the upsides and downsides before doing a swap, all the real consequences from seriously not owning a Xbox. ”Just buy a PC” has never been a realistic option.

Plus, I would like case recommendations, fans vs AIO water cooling, etc

Tips for emulators needed for XB/360/XB1, possible consequences there too and if possible tips how to work around issues and avoid jank.
I think you should try starting with a mid-low range PC/notebook. Use the PS5/XSX for the new games, use the PC for emulators as well as the games that don't come out for the consoles. You can familiarize yourself with gaming on pc more easily without spending too much money, nor worrying about stuff like coolers, overclocking, etc; and without having to commit to a full jump.

Last edited:
Fixed.

Not sure why people are faffing about with emulation on consoles when it's easily done on relatively low spec'd PC's and you're not beholden to the restrictions and rules that inevitably come with consoles.
Can you buy a pc with the size format and specs of a series s for the same price? Please tell me where. I use a 15L pc now for emulation anything up to and including the switch at 4K, but it ain’t as small, silent and cheap as a series s console

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
dev mode sucks....IMO

I've had my Xbox One X and Series S offline with retail mode for months now having a blast

Pretty sure I'm already banned but Modern gaming is a joke I'm done with the big three all retro from now on

Can you buy a pc with the size format and specs of a series s for the same price? Please tell me where. I use a 15L pc now for emulation anything up to and including the switch at 4K, but it ain’t as small, silent and cheap as a series s console
Everything up to and including PS2 runs on a toaster so get a laptop, an HDMI cable and a controller. I've done it.

The whole point of PC gaming is freedom from restrictions.

GHG

The mistake is that people view the console as some sort of emulation box when it's not advertised as such (nor is it the purpose of the machine).

If you want to use it for emulation then everything you've stated regarding form factor, price, etc goes out the window when they forbid the use of emulators on the machine.

So yeh, you can be cheap (that's literally the only benefit here because you can build a SFF APU PC that will perform similarly for emulation purposes and be silent if paired with the right cooling solution) but being cheap also comes with a ton of caveats and constantly changing restrictions that can ultimately result in you wasting your money entirely.

Last edited:

Schmick

I've always bought cheap computer parts from eBay.

keefged4

No fun allowed.

At what point do we pass the line where it would be better to just ditch the Xbox and have a living room PC instead?

Serious question, what are the downsides?
Would I miss XB1, 360, Xbox games or are those emulated on PC?

I really just want one box to run old and new games. No jank.
I mean, this is pretty much why I sold my series X, there's no point in having it when you have a decent PC.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Bummer. Series S was a good bang for buck emu machine. The retail mode emulators were always a gray area, at best, so it’s not a surprise they nuked them. There’s still dev mode, but that does take 2-3min to switch each way.

These days Steam Deck is my go-to for emulation.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I mean, this is pretty much why I sold my series X, there's no point in having it when you have a decent PC.
Completely disagree and always find this argument disingenuous. I have both and still play more on my console. It's simply the more convenient way to play on my couch and TV. PC stays in the office where it belongs.

Roberts

Maybe Ms should have been more strict with what ends up on their store or be more hasty with deleting retail emulators when they popped up. I was initially super happy about emulators but when they started deleting them, it was clearly the matter of time when they are totally banned. It was good while it lasted but I don't understand the outrage.

damidu

Could we start a serious thread about a Xbox to PC swap for the living room? No platform warring allowed, only serious talk. Is it possible? Maybe with help from mods to keep the talk serious?

With no emulators and MS not doing a Pro I’m thinking I’ll use the XSX much less going forward, will use PS5 Pro for multiplats, leaving XSX used for 1st party games and some of those I already play on PC, plus the occasional console exclusive Gamepass release. The kids play some Lego games and Viva Pinata too.

But I need unbiased and detailed info about all the upsides and downsides before doing a swap, all the real consequences from seriously not owning a Xbox. ”Just buy a PC” has never been a realistic option.

Plus, I would like case recommendations, fans vs AIO water cooling, etc

Tips for emulators needed for XB/360/XB1, possible consequences there too and if possible tips how to work around issues and avoid jank.
go for it, i just recently did after series x started to get 30 fps only first party games.
i’m extremely happy with it.

pc experience on tv is leagues ahead of what i remember it to be from the past.
just get ready to spend some, sff+power isn’t necessarily a cheap combo

Last edited:
altering-the-deal.gif

MikeM

No fun allowed.

At what point do we pass the line where it would be better to just ditch the Xbox and have a living room PC instead?

Serious question, what are the downsides?
Would I miss XB1, 360, Xbox games or are those emulated on PC?

I really just want one box to run old and new games. No jank.
I sold my Series X and built a PC that is attached to my LG C1. No regrets at all.

keefged4

Completely disagree and always find this argument disingenuous. I have both and still play more on my console. It's simply the more convenient way to play on my couch and TV. PC stays in the office where it belongs.
Just because you choose not to hook your PC up to a TV for a "Couch experience" does not make the argument "disingenuous". It's easy nowadays to use a PC in a similar manner as a console. Why would I bother to have both an XSX and PC when the PC can do everything the Xbox does, but better? Not really missing out on much, if anything at all by going PC only.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Just because you choose not to hook your PC up to a TV for a "Couch experience" does not make the argument "disingenuous". It's easy nowadays to use a PC in a similar manner as a console. Why would I bother to have both an XSX and PC when the PC can do everything the Xbox does, but better? Not really missing out on much, if anything at all by going PC only.
Besides the fact that every major pc release in the past years have had major issues and games are scattered across multiple launchers and then there is the basic windows update headaches.

I prefer to have both since all ms first party are play anywhere I can buy once and play on both and not have to have a big pc in my family room.

keefged4

Besides the fact that every major pc release in the past years have had major issues and games are scattered across multiple launchers and then there is the basic windows update headaches.

I prefer to have both since all ms first party are play anywhere I can buy once and play on both and not have to have a big pc in my family room.
Fair point, However all of the series X games I had I can now play on PC without issues, this is just my personal experience though, not trying to console war or anything like that. I have a set up that allows me to use both a monitor and the living space TV, so when it comes to gaming its seamless. But I can see why this wouldn't suit some. In the context of this discussion - If you are getting an Xbox purely for emulation and playing older titles you are much, much better going down the PC route. even the Steam Deck is a better option. It's frustrating that MS are starting to ban people for retail mode emulators, but really what did people expect at the end of the day.

Three

I mean, if Valve is caving to Nintendo, I’m not sure what anyone expects MS to do.
I don't remember Valve banning people from steam.

Didn't all this happen already months ago?
Before they revoked dev mode for a short time and people were saying just use retail mode. They also removed it from the store for retail mode before but now it seems they are handing out bans for those using it. Personally I don't think it's worth all the hoops they make you jump through just to emulate some games you already could do on a cheap PC or mobile. It's clear they don't want people doing it.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's rather "fucking Nintendo". What exactly is MS supposed to do here? Please indulge us.
If you do something good that doesn't lead to any problem, why stopping?! Wanna know what they need to do? NOTHING

If, and that a big "if", they do something like the Nintendo Switch Online with a lot of classics, I'm kinda ok. Kinda. I'm not changing my first opinion

nemiroff

Gold Member
If you do something good that doesn't lead to any problem, why stopping?! Wanna know what they need to do? NOTHING
Are you for real? You think it's perfectly fine to demand MS to nothing about a potential billions of dollars lawsuit? That's utterly ridiculous.

Last edited:

Three

It's rather "fucking Nintendo". What exactly is MS supposed to do here? Please indulge us.
Not this shit again. Why is it always deflection of blame even though MS themselves have said it has nothing to do with Nintendo?

Hendrick's

Speaking of being disingenuous...
Sure buddy.
Do you have your PC hooked up to your TV? I know no one that actually does this.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I’m not sure why the defense force is out on this topic. There is a 20+ page thread here discussing this loophole and how great it was. It is well within Microsoft’s rights to close the loophole but as expected many are disappointed. If MS received the praise for being the cool kids that let this happen they deserve the complaints for taking it away. I think they can handle the criticism

GHG

Do you have your PC hooked up to your TV? I know no one that actually does this.

I do and have done for over 15 years. There are plenty of people here who do and I also personally know other people who do. I have 2 hooked up to 2 separate TV's in my home.

The desperation to push Xbox hardware is palpable, so much so that it's now being pushed for uses it wasn't even designed/intended for.

If you want to do emulation then the best option has always been (and will always be) on PC. Whether thats a full ATX build, a SFF build, a HTPC or a handheld PC and whether said PC is hooked up to a monitor or TV is up to the individual. Because that's what PC gaming is all about, flexibility and options.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
You let them have control over you, and these are the results.

I'm mortally afraid that people's stupidity will drive the PC environment there too.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
All good things come to an end. It was good while it lasted.....

Oh well, PC and Ally it is...I never even got chance to try the Xbox series S emulation becuase I just used my PC.

Sucks for those using it though.

Hendrick's

The desperation to push Xbox hardware is palpable, so much so that it's now being pushed for uses it wasn't even designed/intended for.

I see far more desperate attempts to downplay Xbox. This thread and many others are dishonest and pathetic. This news is even months old and I'm sure there were already 10 other threads spun up to try and paint Xbox in a negative light, yet here we are again.

Top Bottom