• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

Banned
Dolphin on Xbox just got a brand new UI

the retail app was updated just now (if you had the most recent install from a week ago or so the update is an automatic patch, if not you need a redownload)

sadly, still no controller configuration, you still have to use the PC Dolphin emu to make a config for your controllers...
but this new UI is a great first step towards a fully fleshed out Xbox version!

it's already precompiling shaders and runs really well now.

cover art seems to get loaded in automatically, I just updated it and set my game folder locations, and all my games instantly had cover art ready

Last edited:

Banned
How long did that take for you? It loaded up the box art no problem. But I'm not even getting the shader loading bar like on the previous version.

the shader bar comes in instantly, it only took long to compile them (like 3 bars, 1 to 2 min each for Viewtiful Joe)

Last edited:

Esppiral

As good as a standalone version of dolphin sounds I'll stick with the RetroArch core, I don't see any significant benefit from using the standalone version.

Banned
As good as a standalone version of dolphin sounds I'll stick with the RetroArch core, I don't see any significant benefit from using the standalone version.

currently it's not perfect due to missing settings. but going forward it will most likely be the better choice as it precompiles shaders, which the Retroarch version seems to not do, even if you tick the setting for it in the core options.

so once all the settings menus are implemented I would recommend switching to the standalone version as it will most likely be more up to date and have better performance in many games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Dolphin on Xbox just got a brand new UI

the retail app was updated just now (if you had the most recent install from a week ago or so the update is an automatic patch, if not you need a redownload)

sadly, still no controller configuration, you still have to use the PC Dolphin emu to make a config for your controllers...
but this new UI is a great first step towards a fully fleshed out Xbox version!

it's already precompiling shaders and runs really well now.

cover art seems to get loaded in automatically, I just updated it and set my game folder locations, and all my games instantly had cover art ready

I missed this thread in my hiatus.

The Dolphin emulator for Xbox is INCREDIBLE.

I'm consistently amazed by the work some talented folks are doing for free.

Banned
as many might have already seen in adamsapple adamsapple 's dedicated thread on it, the Xbox 360 emulator Xenia is being ported to the Series consoles.
it's currently very early beta state, but you can already test it if you want.

there is of course a dev mode version, but some people are already uploading it to the store for the retail mode

there's a retail version download available currently

as always, open the link above with your Xbox's browser download and start the emulator once to activate your local license.
don't expect a good experience with this version, this is the first proof of concept for people to test the waters

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
as many might have already seen in adamsapple adamsapple 's dedicated thread on it, the Xbox 360 emulator Xenia is being ported to the Series consoles.
it's currently very early beta state, but you can already test it if you want.

there is of course a dev mode version, but some people are already uploading it to the store for the retail mode

there's a retail version download available currently

[/URL]

as always, open the link above with your Xbox's browser download and start the emulator once to activate your local license.
don't expect a good experience with this version, this is the first proof of concept for people to test the waters
This cant bode well. I doubt MS will turn a blind eye on something that could affect profits somewhere

I hope not, but emulating the 360 when they're selling 360 via the store is a little to close for comfort..

Fingers crossed.

Banned
This cant bode well. I doubt MS will turn a blind eye on something that could affect profits somewhere

I hope not, but emulating the 360 when they're selling 360 via the store is a little to close for comfort..

Fingers crossed.

well, things point towards them not selling 360 games for much longer. at least many are being delisted soon.
let's hope they won't do anything drastic.

BlackTron

WOW. I reached what I thought was max potential for Series X emulation before moving on to PC for full controller options. For that same reason, I tend to use it for DC games (the controller is a 1:1 match).

But 360 emulation just makes it MORE OF A FREAKIN' XBOX. And could unlock many games that never even made it to the BC catalog. I have high hopes where this lead but I'm just cautiously optimistic right now. I know it's not a huge loss but I'm still sour they took away TMNT Re Shelled the FIRST game I bought on Xbox, maybe I will get it back.

El Muerto

I installed Xenia in retail mode last night and tried The Simpsons Game but it kept crashing. Gonna try Sonic 06, Gun, and Afro Samurai soon. Can't wait for more updates.

adamsapple

I installed Xenia in retail mode last night and tried The Simpsons Game but it kept crashing. Gonna try Sonic 06, Gun, and Afro Samurai soon. Can't wait for more updates.

yeah it's very early WIP

image.png

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Retroarch for getting the Cube on Xbox is a joke....I had it installed it went through the processes but then when I went back to it earlier in the year, nothing worked...none of the games, it just went to a black screen for half-a-second and then took me back to the main Xbox menu, and I don't know why...when before it was working somewhat well (though not perfect) and there is no reason given why it won't load the games anymore...

Banned
Retroarch for getting the Cube on Xbox is a joke....I had it installed it went through the processes but then when I went back to it earlier in the year, nothing worked...none of the games, it just went to a black screen for half-a-second and then took me back to the main Xbox menu, and I don't know why...when before it was working somewhat well (though not perfect) and there is no reason given why it won't load the games anymore...

usually what helps is to go into the configuration file menu and reset to default.

but there's now a standalone Dolphin emulator, which is shaping up to be pretty great.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

usually what helps is to go into the configuration file menu and reset to default.

but there's now a standalone Dolphin emulator, which is shaping up to be pretty great.
Yeah I am just hopeful that when I do get around to it, I will be able to play F-Zero GX and Wave Race Flawlessly as well as a bunch of other titles....more so as we aren't going to get a new installment of those on the Switch anytime soon...

Banned
Yeah I am just hopeful that when I do get around to it, I will be able to play F-Zero GX and Wave Race Flawlessly as well as a bunch of other titles....more so as we aren't going to get a new installment of those on the Switch anytime soon...

the standalone Dolphin runs F Zero really well, the standalone precompiles all shaders which helps reduce stutters by a lot

DeVeAn

Flycast runs great. Anyone know how to change save data path to usb? Anytime there is an update my saves are tied to app and I lose them.

Banned
Flycast runs great. Anyone know how to change save data path to usb? Anytime there is an update my saves are tied to app and I lose them.

isn't there a home directory setting in the settings menu?

I never actually did set up Flycast for USB, but if I had to guess copying the contents of the /LocalState folder onto your USB and then changing the home folder to the one on your usb should work...

Banned
retail links are back up on the Discord,

including the new 1.1.1 update for Xenia and the new 1.1.3 version of Dolphin. and a smaller update for Flycast as well

DOLPHIN 1.1.3
Changelog:

•Multiple controllers will now work by default.

•You can now load a custom background.png from your User folder (LocalState by default).

•Analog Triggers are now default for GameCube controllers (helpful for games like Mario Sunshine).

•Retropass is now fixed.

XENIA 1.1.1
Changelog:

•The games list will now read the title from GOD files, plus the XEX name detection has been improved.

•A custom background.png can now be loaded from your /content folder. (Found in LocalState by default).

•Additional settings have been added to the Settings tab, along with some minor improvements.

Known Problems:
•If your game folder contains thousands of loose files, the frontend may appear to be frozen until they are processed.

Last edited:

adamsapple

They fixed the UI issue which was prevented games which had a storage or xbox live prompt not to start.

Just testing Lollipop Chainsaw, it works.

Crashed after a few minutes but I couldn't even get it to start before.

SpiceRacz

retail links are back up on the Discord,

including the new 1.1.1 update for Xenia and the new 1.1.3 version of Dolphin. and a smaller update for Flycast as well

DOLPHIN 1.1.3
Changelog:

•Multiple controllers will now work by default.

•You can now load a custom background.png from your User folder (LocalState by default).

•Analog Triggers are now default for GameCube controllers (helpful for games like Mario Sunshine).

•Retropass is now fixed.

XENIA 1.1.1
Changelog:

•The games list will now read the title from GOD files, plus the XEX name detection has been improved.

•A custom background.png can now be loaded from your /content folder. (Found in LocalState by default).

•Additional settings have been added to the Settings tab, along with some minor improvements.

Known Problems:
•If your game folder contains thousands of loose files, the frontend may appear to be frozen until they are processed.

Is there a way to update Dolphin without having to use the retail links? I may be wrong, but the links disappeared.

Banned
Is there a way to update Dolphin without having to use the retail links? I may be wrong, but the links disappeared.

nope. as soon as Microsoft deletes them from the store each week, they can't be updated by the uploader anymore.
sometimes Microsoft doesn't delete them as quickly and one or more updates go out.

they usually get uploaded on the weekend, so maybe they'll be back friday up next week. I always look into the discord on Fridays or Saturdays to see if a new upload is there that's interesting

Last edited:

drotahorror

So I was going to grab Retroarch, as it says on gamr13's patreon "You do not have to become a supporter to gain access to RetroArch on Xbox retail."

So where's it at if it's not in the discord, or does that mean I still have to wait for the apps to pop up in the discord?

If I donate $1 do I get access to patreon links, and do they include retroarch?

Deft Beck

So I was going to grab Retroarch, as it says on gamr13's patreon "You do not have to become a supporter to gain access to RetroArch on Xbox retail."

So where's it at if it's not in the discord, or does that mean I still have to wait for the apps to pop up in the discord?

You donate to his Patreon and then you go there on Edge on the Xbox and click the link to go to the store.

drotahorror

You donate to his Patreon and then you go there on Edge on the Xbox and click the link to go to the store.

I was about to donate but then I noticed on the discord it says "(Red stopsign) All apps are down, etc"
Earlier it had an Orange Diamond that said "public apps are down but patreon apps are up"

Since Retail App Status is showing a Red Stop SIgn, I would assume patreon doesn't have links either now?

Banned

I was about to donate but then I noticed on the discord it says "(Red stopsign) All apps are down, etc"
Earlier it had an Orange Diamond that said "public apps are down but patreon apps are up"

Since Retail App Status is showing a Red Stop SIgn, I would assume patreon doesn't have links either now?

you don't need to donate anything to get access to Emulators.
he simply uploads 2 sets of them, one public and one with links only sent out to supporters.

the supporter links usually stay up for longer than the public ones given that they aren't as easy to find and report (yes some assholes are often reporting them to Microsoft -_-)

the emulators usually get reuploaded on the weekend. just bookmark the discord server in your Xbox's edge browser and look fridays, Saturdays and Sundays if the links are up. and if they are, download all the ones you want and launch them immediately once to activate your offline licence for them (if you don't launch them/activate them before they get taken down again, they will stop working)

and Red means Patreon links are down as well yes

Last edited:

drotahorror

you don't need to donate anything to get access to Emulators.
he simply uploads 2 sets of them, one public and one with links only sent out to supporters.

the supporter links usually stay up for longer than the public ones given that they aren't as easy to find and report (yes some assholes are often reporting them to Microsoft -_-)

the emulators usually get reuploaded on the weekend. just bookmark the discord server in your Xbox's edge browser and look fridays, Saturdays and Sundays if the links are up. and if they are, download all the ones you want and launch them immediately once to activate your offline licence for them (if you don't launch them/activate them before they get taken down again, they will stop working)

and Red means Patreon links are down as well yes

Sounds good thanks. I was wanting to get things set up this week and would have had no problem donating to get things going while I have time this week.
Such a wild process to get this on xbox, but I understand it's mainly due to the maliciousness of people that are mad about emulation.

Banned
Sounds good thanks. I was wanting to get things set up this week and would have had no problem donating to get things going while I have time this week.
Such a wild process to get this on xbox, but I understand it's mainly due to the maliciousness of people that are mad about emulation.

I think it's not only due to reports tho. it's of course also showing up on Microsoft's radar more easily because way more people will download the public uploads.

it is because of reports that his app store was discontinued, he had a way more straightforward system in place for a few weeks where you downloaded an app, and in that app the links got automatically updated, no need to go through a browser anymore.

but thoae links got almost immediately taken down after a while due to reports

Last edited:

adamsapple

How long can you keep a console offline?. I've got a series S and X both with retail on that are in their boxes I was going to keep offline..

Not sure, it's not a game pass app so you don't need a persistent check in. They also recently removed the one time online requirement for Xbox One apps.

If you keep it offline and it still continues to work, I guess you can keep it indefinitely.

But I think at this point it just makes more sense to go dev mode.

They were fine as long as the emulation was limited to Retroarch and PS2 but as soon as people started emulating Xbox 360, shit got real for them :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Katatonic

I only use dev mode. The only retail game I have is Panzer Dragoon Orta and it’s not a pain to switch back n forth between modes so I’m good. The day they block emulators on dev mode is the day Xbox disappears.

adamsapple

I only use dev mode. The only retail game I have is Panzer Dragoon Orta and it’s not a pain to switch back n forth between modes so I’m good. The day they block emulators on dev mode is the day Xbox disappears.

While I don't feel that strongly about making it disappear, not gonna lie, emulation is one of the pillars why I love the new Series consoles.

cireza

Banned
Not surprised. It was a very interesting experience, but I was already setup for all these consoles, and had removed the apps recently. I never thought that it was going to last for long, not on an actively supported console.

I still recommend getting a Wii U for anything 8/16 bits + Gamepad for handheld gaming + GC/Wii compatibility. Honestly the value is insane.

Series still offers a ton of OG/360/One/Series games. Great value as well.

Darsxx82

I am deeply disappointed..... At this point, MS makes a bad move and leaves its console without one of its highest rated options (however unofficial it may be). I suppose they have been forced by third-party complaints because if the reason was the launch of XENiA... you have more to lose than to gain. A mobilization and request to go back would be interesting and, of course, I high school.

Top Bottom