• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Or just sell the series s, and buy a used pc, and get much better experience. Emulation is now pointless on the Xbox now, no one wants to mess around with dev mode shit thanks.

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Beechos

Anyone knows if there’s a performance difference between retail and dev mode? I think I’ve read somewhere that dev mode doesn’t have access to the same resources retail mode has
From what I remember reading dev mode runs the emulator as an "app" which doesn't have full system resources acces while the retail version ran it as a "game" allowing full resource access. Performance was very negligible give or take a few fps for more demanding stuff.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

This decision that MS has made has me literally resenting my XSX. It was the ultimate gaming machine for my set-up. Not only did it play my Xbox, 360, X1, XSX, PS1, PS2, N64, GameCube, ect.... but it did an awesome job at it. The convenience was unmatched and paired with my 27" CRT, it was a killer retro machine.

People say "Use dev mode". Fuck dev mode. It's friction between me and what I want to do. My RetroArch configuration is always screwed up,and it's also slower. Idk man... I haven't looked at my Xbox the same every since that fateful afternoon a few weeks ago.

adamsapple

This decision that MS has made has me literally resenting my XSX. It was the ultimate gaming machine for my set-up. Not only did it play my Xbox, 360, X1, XSX, PS1, PS2, N64, GameCube, ect.... but it did an awesome job at it. The convenience was unmatched and paired with my 27" CRT, it was a killer retro machine.

People say "Use dev mode". Fuck dev mode. It's friction between me and what I want to do. My RetroArch configuration is always screwed up,and it's also slower. Idk man... I haven't looked at my Xbox the same every since that fateful afternoon a few weeks ago.

The config screwing up is a known side effect of exiting dev mode improperly which can be remedied by using the "Safe Exit" app from the games list to safely exit dev mode. It saves everything and safely restarts your console back into retail mode.

Last edited:

Esppiral

From what I remember reading dev mode runs the emulator as an "app" which doesn't have full system resources acces while the retail version ran it as a "game" allowing full resource access. Performance was very negligible give or take a few fps for more demanding stuff.
Nope, you can set any application to behave as a app or a game in its properties with just two clicks

adamsapple

You have to join Patreon for 2 bucks a month to be whitelisted, but it is back

I already got dev mode for $2 (Turkey region) but it's good that retail is working again. Hopefully they drop the Patreon and just keep it to voluntary donations.

MarkMe2525

I already got dev mode for $2 (Turkey region) but it's good that retail is working again. Hopefully they drop the Patreon and just keep it to voluntary donations.
I believe it's a strategic move to keep the number of users low, but I'm also just talking out of my ass so I could be wrong.

Time to activate fridge mode.

BlackTron

Cool that stuff is working again, but I kinda want to set things up how I want once, be done with it, and not be at the mercy of some unforeseen event upending the table. It was kinda tempting to set up a Series S as an easy box for a family member, but I never felt like my X was good enough to leave without me to expect other people to launch emulated games on it reliably and even then it could just stop working any random day anyway. I see this as a worthy why not/tinkering/for science thing, but if you're really serious about having a big library of games on deck to actually play and not just say "see what I can do!" use a PC. And use any input device you want for the game you're playing. What good is Dolphin without the special GCN L/R buttons?

adamsapple

You have to pay a Patreon to get access to how to install?
For now, yes. Probably just an early pre-caution to not overload and get a lot of requests.

Hoping they drop it.

But then again, I also recommend people just get the dev-mode so they're not beholden to retail for emulation in the first place.

How hard/easy is this to setup now. Still havent bit the bullet but at least the first time around with the dev mode at least from watching videos, seemed pretty straight forward.

YCoCg

Apparently, nothing. MS is clear they don't want these programs running on their locked down GP machines.
The ironic thing is, I know plenty who used the console for emulation (mainly Series S owners) who subscribed to Games Pass who have now stopped since the blocks came in.

adamsapple

The ironic thing is, I know plenty who used the console for emulation (mainly Series S owners) who subscribed to Games Pass who have now stopped since the blocks came in.
Tell them to get dev mode so they don't have to worry about this permanently. I'm one of the biggest champions of retail emulation but even I realized that people are using technicalities to bypass MS with them, and dev mode is the sure-fire way.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the length and conditions of developer mode on Series consoles?

I don't think there's any length to it, once you get the dev mode, your console is officially licensed for it, in perpetuity presumably.

DryvBy

Or just sell the series s, and buy a used pc, and get much better experience. Emulation is now pointless on the Xbox now, no one wants to mess around with dev mode shit thanks.
That's not true. It's not even a difficult process if you can follow bullet point steps.

It's the only reason I still have an Xbox is to play emulated games. Well, that and Forza Horizon.

That's not true. It's not even a difficult process if you can follow bullet point steps.

It's the only reason I still have an Xbox is to play emulated games. Well, that and Forza Horizon.
All games on Xbox are now pc, just get a pc, you will get much a better emulation experience with a lot more systems and games available, Xbox emulation is child’s play compared to what u can do on pc,

Last edited:

Crew511A

All games on Xbox are now pc, just get a pc, you will get much a better emulation experience with a lot more systems and games available, Xbox emulation is child’s play compared to what u can do on pc,

You're not wrong, but there was something nice about the convenience.

Crew511A

If I had it installed on retail the old way, what does switching everything over to dev mode entail?

Killer8

What did people expect? MS were able to disable retail apps before and nothing has fundamentally changed regarding their policy. It's little surprise that the same thing has happened again. There was a lot of hype about retail apps returning but it was always evident that it's just going to turn into a (*Patreon funded) game of whack-a-mole rather than being an innovative way to skirt the ban.

Hayabusa83

Banned
What did people expect? MS were able to disable retail apps before and nothing has fundamentally changed regarding their policy. It's little surprise that the same thing has happened again. There was a lot of hype about retail apps returning but it was always evident that it's just going to turn into a (*Patreon funded) game of whack-a-mole rather than being an innovative way to skirt the ban.

It was strange that anybody would think this is sustainable. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed emulation on my Series X, but it had its limits. I have since upgraded my PC and enjoying the same emulators there without threat of having losing access to anything.

What bothers me is that Microsoft allowed this to continue for about a year before they put a stop to it. They knew word of mouth about the Xbox's emulation capabilities would probably lead to sales. I wonder how many people bought a Series S that are now considering returning it or selling because it can no longer emulate games in retail mode?

I haven't touched my Series X and PS5 in months. Gimped consoles with drip feed content. I'd rather play what I want without having to rebuy my games over and over and over again.

They don't want us playing older games, they want us to buy soulless new titles with shallow features and cookie cutter mechanics.

Last edited:
Make no mista

It was strange that anybody would think this is sustainable. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed emulation on my Series X, but it had its limits. I have since upgraded my PC and enjoying the same emulators there without threat of having losing access to anything.

What bothers me is that Microsoft allowed this to continue for about a year before they put a stop to it. They knew word of mouth about the Xbox's emulation capabilities would probably lead to sales. I wonder how many people bought a Series S that are now considering returning it or selling because it can no longer emulate games in retail mode?

I haven't touched my Series X and PS5 in months. Gimped consoles with drip feed content. I'd rather play what I want without having to rebuy my games over and over and over again.

They don't want us playing older games, they want us to buy soulless new titles with shallow features and cookie cutter mechanics.

There's so much truth to this. We really get treated like absolute SHIT on console compared to PC. They block emulation (who was in hurting, really?), they charge us more for the same games, they pull a Starfield (they could've got this to run 60 fps if they wanted to on SX but they know they can get away with it, saving them time and money), they CHARGE JUST TO BE ABLE TO PLAY ONLINE, Sony and Nintendo have absolute SCAM "return policies", and they LIE CONSTANTLY about the capabilities of the consoles and graphics of various games (how many Sony games have had downgrades for instance).

Worst of all they get away with all of this thanks to various "arrangements" with the games media, the mechanism of "hype" etc

They also frown on Backwards Compatibility such as RDR2 never getting a 60 fps patch or how there are still a handful of the best Xbox One exclusives that were NEVER PATCHED despite all of Microsofts promises about BC.

It's a disgusting, corrupt industry led by the big 3 but also supported by the shill media and greedy major publishers.

Hayabusa83

Banned
There's so much truth to this. We really get treated like absolute SHIT on console compared to PC. They block emulation (who was in hurting, really?), they charge us more for the same games, they pull a Starfield (they could've got this to run 60 fps if they wanted to on SX but they know they can get away with it, saving them time and money), they CHARGE JUST TO BE ABLE TO PLAY ONLINE, Sony and Nintendo have absolute SCAM "return policies", and they LIE CONSTANTLY about the capabilities of the consoles and graphics of various games (how many Sony games have had downgrades for instance).

Worst of all they get away with all of this thanks to various "arrangements" with the games media, the mechanism of "hype" etc

They also frown on Backwards Compatibility such as RDR2 never getting a 60 fps patch or how there are still a handful of the best Xbox One exclusives that were NEVER PATCHED despite all of Microsofts promises about BC.

It's a disgusting, corrupt industry led by the big 3 but also supported by the shill media and greedy major publishers.

It is a corrupt industry that is led by mostly snake oil salesmen. I feel like for the last 5 - 8 years gaming has stagnated, maybe even gone backwards. I also have a strong suspicion that there is a lot of money laundering going on as well. Some of these shit games with shit mechanics that have been in development hell.... where did all that money go? Hookers and blow? Staff Vacation?

TheCoolDave

Neo Member
Let's see, pay $2 a month, goes down all the time (I've been kind of watching the discord). Need to re-install apps and do the same thing as before. If you played with this early on retail. You knew, if you wanted upgrade your versions, you needed to back up your stuff (saves, save states, and settings), Remove old version, Re-install the app, and restore your settings. Once RetroArch was upgraded again, do it all over again. Real PIA.

Honestly, I would pay $2 so I could get updates from the store and not need to deal with that BS. This is not the case.

It was nice playing Super Mario World while chatting on Xbox live, sometimes people just want to chat and I live and die by gaming (as much as an adult can these days) but, the headache with paying $2 and not being able to use it when I want to, I don't see the value. These days are gone...

If you want to know WHO did this... Nintendo, they sent a complaint that people were playing Nintendo games on their Xbox and Microsoft blocked it to save the hassle of dealing with Nintendo.

If you want to play Retro Games on your Xbox, $20 for Dev mode is a good value but, I have so many other devices that can play up to Switch games on Emulation, I think I am going to not use the Xbox any more...

As for Xbox and not playing retro games, Xbox supports games from their first console and YOU don't have to rebuy it (if you still own it), like Nintendo does and Sony does as well. Microsoft did as many games as licensing allowed.

If anything, Microsoft is cool here, they let it go for a long time before they blocked it.

Top Bottom