• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

Dr.Morris79

I bet if you had your system offline before they blocked them, they all still work because they never got the server update to block them
Thats what i'm counting on :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I bought an X and S, stuck these on, swtched to offline and boxed them back up, about three months ago. Heres hoping (y)

Crew511A

just tested all my Emulators,
non of my installs still works... EXCEPT XBSX2 lol

my XBSX2 install from a few months ago still working without issue. not even Duckstation still works, and that's a way older install that could have fallen through the cracks.

anyone else's XBSX2 still working? I'm curious if they missed thar emulator completely
Still works for me as well.

Lillie

If you buy and use dev mode, don't you have to completely reformat your SSD meaning you lose all your internal games. Man, I don't want to do that

Last edited:

Quasicat

Damn. I had Dev mode but it was revoked at some point. I think it happened to a lot of people.
That happened to me as well, but MS said they made a mistake while doing some maintenance and reinstated dev mode. It runs awesome now!

Reactions: TLZ

SpiceRacz

I had to do a system restore and chose to keep my apps and games, but it removed all of my emulation stuff. Thought that was odd. Guess it didn't matter since everything got blocked anyway.

I knew it would be a matter of time before they shut these down ...these companies are too greedy to allow their console cash cows to have access to their old stuff. Especially in this 'age of remasters'.

I'm against piracy, but once you literally cannot legitimately pay for a license anymore it's game on.

Give me a method to pay the people who own the corpse of Silicone Knights so I can easily play Eternal Darkness again. If you're not going to do that I'm still going to play the fucking game, and I'm not even going to break the law since I have the disc in hand.

Shifty1897

So glad I didn't pull the trigger on a Series S now, I was buying it solely as a living room emulator.

I hate it for everyone affected.

Crew511A

I'm against piracy, but once you literally cannot legitimately pay for a license anymore it's game on.

Give me a method to pay the people who own the corpse of Silicone Knights so I can easily play Eternal Darkness again. If you're not going to do that I'm still going to play the fucking game, and I'm not even going to break the law since I have the disc in hand.

Pretty much where I'm at. Sega won't translate the rest of Shining Force 3 to English, so the market found a way. I played Thunder Force VI for the first time last week. I'd pay money for this game, but again...Sega.

It's time boys, rip and tear until is undone.

Hack the shit of this console, Microsoft and any company in the world need to understand that it's their store but is also your hardware and if the app was already installed they should not be able to disable it.

Katatonic

So glad I didn't pull the trigger on a Series S now, I was buying it solely as a living room emulator.

If all you’re gonna use it for is emulation, then just use dev mode. So worth the 20 bucks it to me. No jumping through hoops to set up and waiting in discords n shit. Plus you can easily switch to retail mode and back if need be.

JimboJones

It sucks but it's probably better just to buy a dedicated PC or possibly an android system for emulation just so you can have control over your hardware and software and don't have to worry about console manufacturers releasing updates that fuck everything up.

MarkMe2525

I don't think it's too crazy to think Nintendo forced the issue. This seems like the kind of crap they're known for.
MS could legitimately ignore the emulation until we had the ability to play games that were still available for sale. I have to imagine it would not look good to their partners if their Xbox allowed for such easy piracy on products that their partners could still make money on.
This thread has done more harm to the emulators than Xenia....
I think the timing makes it obvious that the 360 games were the straw that broke the camel's back.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I wasnt aware they got a 360 emulator in there, that for sure did it. They still sell us 360 games and have (had) a BC program. Big no no even if there are games currently not available.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I wasnt aware they got a 360 emulator in there, that for sure did it. They still sell us 360 games and have (had) a BC program. Big no no even if there are games currently not available.

Yeah, the 360 emulator was already in a pretty decent state just in its 0.1 version. I played lollipop chainsaw and the XBLA Goldeneye Remake, neither of which are available or BC supported otherwise.

Beechos

Aint one of the problems with dev mode is that it doesn't have the full power of the system avail? I remember reading somewhere only like 80% is avail.

adamsapple

Aint one of the problems with dev mode is that it doesn't have the full power of the system avail? I remember reading somewhere only like 80% is avail.

I've never heard that before but the one major drawback is that you need to reboot and change into dev/retail mode whenever you want to use the other. There's no way to run retail content in dev mode and vice versa.

Yet another reason why console gaming sucks these days. I think I'm about done with it ....time to save up and buy a PC.

Sony, MS, and Nintendo aren't about to let anything happen that could get in the way with some hypothetical future remaster or retro collection. They want total control over their platform.

-Emulation went a long way to make up for how bad console BC is.
-Console makers us $60/yr just to play the games we pay full price for online which is BS
Console owners can't be bothered to patch and upscale their games on their respective services
-Games tend to cost more
-obviously graphics are worse but that's not so much a knock on console which provides good performance for the cost and ease of use
-Sony and MS do nothing to protect their own customers from being scammed by games that are performance disasters as they seen to get through certification anyway and Sony's "refund policy" is incredibly anti consumer

I'm complaining a lot lately but man there are things to complain about

Last edited:

Beechos

I've never heard that before but the one major drawback is that you need to reboot and change into dev/retail mode whenever you want to use the other. There's no way to run retail content in dev mode and vice versa.
I think the thing with dev mode is that it runs the emulator as an app which limits avail system resources to it. Whereas in retail mode its run it as a "game" giving it full system resources. I think for most emu is fine but the more demanding stuff retail mode helps run some stuff better. Booting back and forth though is still the biggest downside. The one time I did it I think it took a couple of min to switch back and forth was enough for me not to do it anymore.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I think the thing with dev mode is that it runs the emulator as an app which limits avail system resources to it. Whereas in retail mode its run it as a "game" giving it full system resources. I think for most emu is fine but the more demanding stuff retail mode helps run some stuff better. Booting back and forth though is still the biggest downside. The one time I did it I think it took a couple of min to switch back and forth was enough for me not to do it anymore.
This. I agree.

If all you’re gonna use it for is emulation, then just use dev mode. So worth the 20 bucks it to me. No jumping through hoops to set up and waiting in discords n shit. Plus you can easily switch to retail mode and back if need be.

I heard its possible to brick your console in dev mode. Is it true? I need to know everything before I do it. If there is any risk at all, I'm not doing it.

Last edited:

BlackTron

You have most probably forgotten that Nintendo recently sued the entire internet and that roms and isos were actively removed by the vast majority of the websites providing them. I also think that they did take action against Dolphin at some point. Nintendo are still selling many of these games through re-releases and paid subscription.

I didn't know that, this is bad timing with the closure of the 3DS/Wii U eshops. I didn't get off my ass fast enough.

I guess we all still think it's a great idea to have Dolphin on Steam? Enjoy your piracy in the basement unseen and stop waving it around for all to see asking for a problem. We will end up with less than what we started.

Last edited:

BlackTron

BrHueHue2.0 launches for me, echoing others that it still works. PCSX2, but the old one with the super ugly icon. I wonder if that is only temporary though.

I will miss the DC emulation the most. Very convenient DC with HDMI out and 1:1 controller layout. But I would rather just use a PC/laptop than fight this battle lol. It was really cool what you were able to do but it was never sufficient as an emulation box anyway mostly for no controller options and too many game compatibility problems. Which I'll concede is lightyears better than nothing if you don't have a better PC to do it with and already happen to have an Xbox sitting there. A sad day indeed

adamsapple

I read somewhere that if you change region you Argentina, you can get it for $1.

I haven't tested it myself yet, though.

This thread has done more harm to the emulators than Xenia....

GIF by Giphy QA

There's dedicated sub-reddits and discord channels for legal emulation on Xbox for years.

Last edited:

Crew511A

Looks like my version of XBSX2 got added to the ban list today. Good job, Microsoft. Preventing me from playing a G1 Transformers game that never came stateside truly makes the world a better place.

adamsapple

This topic's slowed down a lot since MS gutted the retail mode :(

But here is a recent, very easy to follow, guide on how you can set up Dev mode on your consoles to continue to use emulation.

Blueghost

Neo Member
Anyone knows if there’s a performance difference between retail and dev mode? I think I’ve read somewhere that dev mode doesn’t have access to the same resources retail mode has

adamsapple

Anyone knows if there’s a performance difference between retail and dev mode? I think I’ve read somewhere that dev mode doesn’t have access to the same resources retail mode has

I can't find any actual evidence of this other than anecdotal stuff on twitter etc.

The only real caveat is that you cannot play retail games when in dev mode and will need to restart the console to switch between retail and dev.

Last edited:
Top Bottom