• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro EMULATORS for Xbox Series X|S / One - Download Links, NO MODDING, NO DEV-MODE

FUBARx89

I meam the emulators get reuploaded every week, so join the discord server, get them fast after the upload, and then launch them once to activate your license.

Got Retro installed, just need to set it up, started it once.

Does it upscale GC stuff on dolphin?

Klosshufvud

RetroArch starting to piss me off with cores randomly dying. First PCSX2, now Duckstation. Maybe I should just do a fresh install again.

EwwLink

Neo Member
RetroArch starting to piss me off with cores randomly dying. First PCSX2, now Duckstation. Maybe I should just do a fresh install again.
I had the same thing happen to me! Took me a good week getting everything all set up how I wanted on RetroArch, then the app became so laggy that it was impossible to even navigate the menu.
Got a Newer version installed but nothing carried over from the other app. Plus the new version wasn't saving ANY settings that I altered.
This stuff sure is a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

Banned

if this happens try going to "Configuration File" and then select "Reset to Defaults". then close Retroarch and restart it

this sometimes fixes this issue. I personally haven't had that happen in a while tho, so no idea if it's still an issue with settings getting corrupted.

Last edited:

Banned
Got Retro installed, just need to set it up, started it once.

Does it upscale GC stuff on dolphin?

you can run dolphin in 4K if you want yes. better look up a setup guide for Dolphin on youtube.

this guy had really good ones, I haven't checked this one but the older videos I saw from him were always pretty good

Banned
I had the same thing happen to me! Took me a good week getting everything all set up how I wanted on RetroArch, then the app became so laggy that it was impossible to even navigate the menu.
Got a Newer version installed but nothing carried over from the other app. Plus the new version wasn't saving ANY settings that I altered.
This stuff sure is a pain in the ass.

this is why you should do the full USB setup. that makes carrying over settings and your setup way easier.
if you do that you simply have to set your system folders up correctly and do a single reboot of Retroarch, and it should instantly load back into what you set it up in the old install.

for a USB setup guide for Retroarch look up Gamr13's video here

he's also working on a script (not sure it it's released yet) that automatically sets up your USB like this with all the folders and rights managements etc.

Last edited:

Banned
I made a quick XBSX2 setup guide for external USB drives.
with this setup, all you have to do should you ever reinstall XBSX2 due to issues or because a new version is out, the only step you have to repeat will be changing the folders again and restarting the app once after that to confirm everything.

so here's the video on how to use a USB drive (doesn't really matter what kind, a shitty thumb drive like I use to make this tutorial, or a full blown SSD)

(I suck at video editing, so don't expect high production value, I quickly put this together just now lol)

I will add this tutorial to the first post as well

Klosshufvud

if this happens try going to "Configuration File" and then select "Reset to Defaults". then close Retroarch and restart it

this sometimes fixes this issue. I personally haven't had that happen in a while tho, so no idea if it's still an issue with settings getting corrupted.
Sadly no dice. I'll report back after just doing a fresh install from scratch.

Banned
Sadly no dice. I'll report back after just doing a fresh install from scratch.

do the USB setup I talked about in post #857
that way all your stuff stays with you on your USB and all you gotta do down the line after a reinstall is to change the folders back to youe USB and reboot Retroarch once to confirm it all

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Quick n dirty XBSX2 video with Outbreak File 2 running at full speed in 4K (with FXAA enabled, but will disable for future as it probably isn't needed with native 4K)

Gonna try the wide screen patch later today and see if that carries over as well.

that way all your stuff stays with you on your USB and all you gotta do down the line after a reinstall is to change the folders back to youe USB and reboot Retroarch once to confirm it all

Yeah, eliminates the need to do any FTP stuff and saves space on the precious internal SSD. Any USB 3.0 drive will be more than sufficient for loading PS2/GC stuff fast.

Last edited:

Banned
Yeah, eliminates the need to do any FTP stuff and saves space on the precious internal SSD. Any USB 3.0 drive will be more than sufficient for loading PS2/GC stuff fast.

yeah. I'm using the 500gb stock PS4 Pro HDD in a USB enclosure, which in the grad scheme of things is pretty damn slow, and it all works just fine. so a USB3 drive will definitely be more than enough.

adamsapple

01011001 01011001

Wide screen patches work on XBSX2. Fucking AWESOME.

Testing a couple of games right now, will update another post with some videos.

Persona 3 FES got the 4K remaster it needed on Xbox lol

adamsapple

XBSX2 is a tremendous improvement over the previous PCSX2 code in Retroarch.

edit: I'm not sure why Streamable isn't giving out audio, but ah well.

Persona 3 FES running at native 4K with the wide screen patch.

Metal Gear Solid 2 1440p~ with the wide screen patch. Native 4K really drops a lot in the cut-scenes.

Resident Evil Dead Aim 4K. I could not get the wide screen patch to work, but this runs really good even in 4K.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Thank you for this. Updated, did the USB thing and cores are working as intended again. I really enjoy what you can do with PSX emulation, increasing resolution and removing the wobble textures make the games shine in a new way.

Tenchu has never looked this sharp to me as now. Makes worth playing again just to spot details I couldn't before. Audio desync is due to recording.

adamsapple

Alright. I've been testing a bunch of PS2 games and am very impressed at how good this emulator is. My aging laptop can't touch anything higher than 2X (3X if I'm nice) internal resolutions so I think I'm gonna switch to Xbox as my main PCSX2 emulation machine now.

Wide screen hacks and cheats also work just like they would on PC, you need to set directories and copy the appropriate patches as you would.

Not all games work at full speeds all the time in 4K (6x resolution scale). MGS2's cut-scenes and God of War dropped some frames, but dropping to 4x or 5x resolution scaling removes any drops.

Please excuse the audio sync issue in the videos below, it only happens in these videos, the actual emulation is 100% accurate.

Persona 3 FES
6x resolution w/ Wide Screen fix

-

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
4x resolution w/ Wide screen fix

-

Resident Evil: Dead Aim
6x resolution (wide screen patch didn't work)

-

Bully
5x resolution w/ Wide screen fix

-

God of War
5x resolution w/ Wide screen fix

-

Devil May Cry
6x resolution w/ Wide screen fix

-

Dragon Quest 8
6x resolution w/ Wide screen fix

-

Resident Evil Outbreak File 2
6x resolution w/ Wide screen fix. Liberal usage of Turbo hotkey to show how to make the 20 second load times become 4~ second.

XBSX2_2022-10-30_08-07-47.png

xbsx22022-10-3011-12-d2icd.png

xbsx22022-10-3011-31-lcibr.png

xbsx22022-10-3011-48-0vinh.png

GenericUser

Can you use the xbsx2 ps2 emulator without dev mode? If yes, how do you do it.

edit: found it, works without dev mode.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Can you use the xbsx2 ps2 emulator without dev mode? If yes, how do you do it.

edit: found it, works without dev mode.

yes sir, glad you found it but it is absolutely 100% possible to run everything on a retail xbox. I would also recommend setting up a USB for your files instead of FTP for the precious internal storage.

Killer8

Just a heads up not to upload screenshots/videos of emulators to Xbox Live. One report of someone being temporarily suspended for this:

fDOqK27.png

It sounds like people sharing copyrighted shit from Kodi is what is prompting this. Stay safe.

adamsapple

That's weird, but I understand why they probably don't want Xbox Live to host screenshots and videos from other systems being emulated.

Just upload 'em to one drive instead.

GenericUser

yes sir, glad you found it but it is absolutely 100% possible to run everything on a retail xbox. I would also recommend setting up a USB for your files instead of FTP for the precious internal storage.
I actually used the ftp method after I tried the USB method (which also worked). It does not allow you to store more then 30GBs on the xbox anyway and the PS2 games are fairly small in comparison. The biggest one I have is God Of War 2 and that weights about 8.5 GB.
The emulator itself is still not perfect. Popular games like Jak and Daxter or Jak 2 will run, but with graphical glitches that severly hamper the experience.. The "official" workaround is to change the internal renderer of the emulator to OpenGL, but that is not possible on xbox. Xbox only supports DirectX11 and 12.

Other games like GoW2 and Silent Hill 3 work perfectly though. All in all, a very solid choice for people that don't have access to a PC that is powerful enough to emulate the PS2. I waited ages to replay Silent Hill 3 and 4, because there is no acceptable port that runs on current consoles. I'm more then happy to be able to re-experience them again.

I Master l

Banned
IMO XBSX2 is pretty much perfect not 100% perfect but it is close, out of 80ish game i tried only one have graphical
glitches "prince of persia sands of time" the ntsc version, pal version work without issues but too bad it run at 25fps

GenericUser

IMO XBSX2 is pretty much perfect not 100% perfect but it is close, out of 80ish game i tried only one have graphical
glitches "prince of persia sands of time" the ntsc version, pal version work without issues but too bad it run at 25fps
Have you tried Jak and Daxter and Jak2? Did they work for you? Maybe there is something I'm missing. I would love to play them properly.

adamsapple

I haven't tried Jak either, but the games I have tried, I'm also suitably impressed with XBSX2. It definitely runs a hell of a lot better than my 1060 Laptop would run PCSX2 lol.

adamsapple

Where was this announced?

The emulation discord

Around a month or so ago they made a public poll asking for what people would like to see get a UWP port. Dolphin won by a huge margin and they delivered.

It's still WIP but damn that was quick.

Reactions: TLZ

Banned
The emulation discord

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Around a month or so ago they made a public poll asking for what people would like to see get a UWP port. Dolphin won by a huge margin and they delivered.

downloading right now, I'll test some titles I still have on my Wii U's USB...
I think the first one will be Last Story, I wanted to do another playthrough anyways, let's see how it fares (it did have issues in Retroarch when I used it as a test way back when the SX emulation stuff got traction)

edit: they could have clarified what the folder name for the emulator is in the discord list lol... I had to search through like 20 app folders until I found it

it's "4728XBMHUB.R2A8IG93JONKSXVA_w7f1jqywwjcjm" btw

edit2: it runs... but with the current state of the Emulator it's pretty much unplayable, you need to adjust settings and currently that's not possible of course with the early build of it.

the Emulator itself seems to be decent already, BUT I so far the standalone version is definitely worse than the Retroarch build.

on my 2 or so months old version of Retorarch Lite all the games I've tested, GC or Wii, run either the same or better in Retroarch Lite.

for The Last Story you have missing 2D elements kn the standalone that aren't missing in Retroarch (without any adjustments)

the rest of the games basically are the same from what I can tell.

The Last Story needs many manual adjustments I think to work properly, so I can't check if it's fixable in the standalone version yet of course due to the missing settings options.

FZero GX, which is notorious for shader stutters, also ran basically the same in both.

Mario Bros Wii same, almost identical shader stutters in the same spots.

edit3: after changing out my dolphin folder (which was apparently outdated on my USB) The Last Story now actually now runs properly and with less visual bugs than using the same (newest) Dolphin folder in Retorarch.

the Retroarch version still has an issue with the game that was resolved on PC years ago, which is that the clothing parts of your characters that can be recoloured being completely invisible...

I remember trying to fix that issue back in the day on Xbox but it never worked out.

so this standalone Dolphin version is clearly way more comparable with the PC build because it has this issue completely resolved, which is great news.

if the next version adds settings like controller binds and async uber shaders it will already be very playable I think.

GameCube is already pretty playable as is because you don't need to configure your controller that much with that system.

Last edited:

Soltype

The emulation discord

Wow that's awesome, I'll try it out when I get home, if it's still up....

Killer8

What analog sensitivity setting should I be going for in the PCSX2 standalone? The default of 1.40 it mentions for Xbox controllers still seems too sensitive and weird, for lack of a better word.

I am also getting microstutters in several games during transitions into and out of FMV sequences. Any setting to fix that?

Hayabusa83

Banned
Hoping one of you guys can help. All of a sudden I cannot launch Gamecube games on retroarch. Used to work flawlessly before. Is microsoft blocking this? Also had issues with PS2 emulator. Sometimes it works flawless, other times it doesn't launch.

Soltype

downloading right now, I'll test some titles I still have on my Wii U's USB...
I think the first one will be Last Story, I wanted to do another playthrough anyways, let's see how it fares (it did have issues in Retroarch when I used it as a test way back when the SX emulation stuff got traction)

edit: they could have clarified what the folder name for the emulator is in the discord list lol... I had to search through like 20 app folders until I found it

it's "4728XBMHUB.R2A8IG93JONKSXVA_w7f1jqywwjcjm" btw

edit2: it runs... but with the current state of the Emulator it's pretty much unplayable, you need to adjust settings and currently that's not possible of course with the early build of it.

the Emulator itself seems to be decent already, BUT I so far the standalone version is definitely worse than the Retroarch build.

on my 2 or so months old version of Retorarch Lite all the games I've tested, GC or Wii, run either the same or better in Retroarch Lite.

for The Last Story you have missing 2D elements kn the standalone that aren't missing in Retroarch (without any adjustments)

the rest of the games basically are the same from what I can tell.

The Last Story needs many manual adjustments I think to work properly, so I can't check if it's fixable in the standalone version yet of course due to the missing settings options.

FZero GX, which is notorious for shader stutters, also ran basically the same in both.

Mario Bros Wii same, almost identical shader stutters in the same spots.

edit3: after changing out my dolphin folder (which was apparently outdated on my USB) The Last Story now actually now runs properly and with less visual bugs than using the same (newest) Dolphin folder in Retorarch.

the Retroarch version still has an issue with the game that was resolved on PC years ago, which is that the clothing parts of your characters that can be recoloured being completely invisible...

I remember trying to fix that issue back in the day on Xbox but it never worked out.

so this standalone Dolphin version is clearly way more comparable with the PC build because it has this issue completely resolved, which is great news.

if the next version adds settings like controller binds and async uber shaders it will already be very playable I think.

GameCube is already pretty playable as is because you don't need to configure your controller that much with that system.
Hoping they add a UI to this, it's a pain in the butt having to edit the ini files.

Banned
Hoping they add a UI to this, it's a pain in the butt having to edit the ini files.

I just downloaded the newest Retroarch from the discord links and the Dolphin core now actually runs better and has the issues I had before fixed.

so currently, using the Dolphin core on the newest Retroarch build is actually a better experience.

edit: maybe the input lag in The Last Story is a few milliseconds worse on Retroarch, but it's really close... I feel it's like maybe 1 or 2 frames behind, so 33ms more latency if my subjective feel for it is correct.
the game is hard to judge because it has inherent input lag for many actions (no idea why). the best way to test is going into and out of cover, which somehow doesn't have the lag many other actions (including navigating the menus) has in the game.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I just downloaded the newest Retroarch from the discord links and the Dolphin core now actually runs better and has the issues I had before fixed.

so currently, using the Dolphin core on the newest Retroarch build is actually a better experience

How does rogue squadron 2 run on it?

Soltype

so currently, using the Dolphin core on the newest Retroarch build is actually a better experience.

edit: maybe the input lag in The Last Story is a few milliseconds worse on Retroarch, but it's really close... I feel it's like maybe 1 or 2 frames behind, so 33ms more latency if my subjective feel for it is correct.
the game is hard to judge because it has inherent input lag for many actions (no idea why). the best way to test is going into and out of cover, which somehow doesn't have the lag many other actions (including navigating the menus) has in the game.
I just tried it, it feels the same to me but I'm not an expert. I'm still getting hard freezes when games are booting sometimes. It also could be the games that I'm trying to play.

Last edited:
Well it looks like Cemu went open source or something. My holy grail right now is replaying Wind Waker hd on my series x. Maybe it'll be possible sometime soon.

Top Bottom