• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

Am I weird for liking the warmer flashlight color in the original more? Makes the scenes look a bit less drab IMO, I remember playing the GC ver back at launch and thinking that part looked stellar, and how it made Leon and Ashley pop out from the rest of the screen
Take a look at the comment section of that post for some really good discussion on that. :)

I believe Albert will try something sliiiightly warmer that would still be true to the types of bulbs Leon would likely have used (also note that sometimes in the original, the flashlight is white and sometimes it's more yellow).

A quick update!
WIP Save/load screen :)
www.re4hd.com

TWB.jpg

Have a nice weekend!

Is it possible to add SSAO to the game? How does rebuilding the whole game in a new engine such as Unreal Engine 4 over modding the original engine to hold the new textures? Just curious?

Nerrel

A quick update!
WIP Save/load screen :)
www.re4hd.com

TWB.jpg

Have a nice weekend!

Looks really nice. I'm also excited to see how the model porting turns out; it's probably pretty fun to get to shift to the smaller details now after doing the big environmental textures for so long.

Is it possible to add SSAO to the game? How does rebuilding the whole game in a new engine such as Unreal Engine 4 over modding the original engine to hold the new textures? Just curious?

It's possible to add ambient occlusion, I bookmarked this post about it because I'm interested in it as well. That was two years ago; I'm not sure if anything better has come up. Reshade can inject AO into modern games as well (through MXAO), but I don't have RE4 installed to try it with.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
jesus h christ

please stop working on this because, quite frankly, we are not worthy of such greatness.

Semajer

Hello! Here goes a new update!
http://www.re4hd.com/?p=5054

Mercenaries and Weapons (part 1)

https://youtu.be/g9qgUktMp4I

WMI-E.jpg

Looking good.

I'm guessing that the Mercenaries maps are separate from the story versions. Did you have to start from scratch, or were you able to carry over work you've already done? On that subject, does stage 4 share many assets with the main game?

Also, that other RE4 topic reminded me about the classic camera angles during the Ashley section in the Japanese versions. Would you be able to add a toggle to switch between the international and Japanese camera, or is that not possible? Is the classic camera data even in the international releases of RE4?

Nerrel

Damn those new models look good, even without redoing the textures. I know you're going to redo them all anyway, but the stocks for the TMP and red9 are the only textures that really need to be replaced. You could get away with leaving the rest as they are. The specular effect looks great too. I'd tone it down a little on the red9 and killer7, though. I always thought of the red9 as an old gun with a dull/matte finish that probably shouldn't shine as much. The killer7 also seems a little too shiny, it almost looks as if it's wet in bright light. It looks perfect on the more modern guns though.

Holy shit. We're officially starting to branch out beyond environment textures. I can't believe it.

It's been hard to be hopeful for the future lately, but you guys always give me something to look forward to.

gfxtwin

Textures aren't made like this anymore, generally BUT they are absolutely insanely dedicated that's for sure. That goes a long way.

Might get an easy hire at a studio that specializes in HD remasters though, like Bluepoint. This project is more impressive to me than a lot of official HD remasters.

Neith

Banned
To know this is in the home stretch is amazing. I will be donating again when complete. Never finished my playthrough on Wii. So this is going to be so sweet.

I'm thinking 6 months or so and this will be fully finished.

Might get an easy hire at a studio that specializes in HD remasters though, like Bluepoint. This project is more impressive to me than a lot of official HD remasters.

True but this has taken a lot of time as well. Still, this is definitely more impressive work than a lot of games today for texture quality even if it is done differently now.

McCHitman

Banned
As much as I love stuff like this, I hate how it gets taken down.

We all know this is going to happen right?

I get that people want to show off what they are doing, but revealing these things months before they are finished, just allows those ceise and desist letters to just be ready to sent out.

I just want someone to make something awesome like this, stealthily, and then release it the same day as they announce it. The big corporation wouldnt be ready, more people could get it before it gets taken down, and all that work wouldn't be wasted.

Sini

I get that people want to show off what they are doing, but revealing these things months before they are finished, just allows those ceise and desist letters to just be ready to sent out.

I just want someone to make something awesome like this, stealthily, and then release it the same day as they announce it. The big corporation wouldnt be ready, more people could get it before it gets taken down, and all that work wouldn't be wasted.

wtf

Capcom are extremely unlikely to do anything like this. Resident Evil modding has been a thing for years, and they've ignored it. Also, I don't think they have any grounds to do anything here.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

This is just a mod not a remake, though.

fireflame

I am asking this question for a friend that has trouble playing Re4; for some reason she gets nausea while playing the game on Steam, something that did not happen on old versions of the game she owned. C&an you confirm it is related to FOV and if so is there an easy way to edit FOV now?

It's a pity QLOC didn't include an FOV slider in RE4 HD like they did with their RE6 and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen ports. It's also a pity Capcom never fixed the knife issue with the RE5 PS4/XBO's higher FOV setting. Capcom are both blessed and frustrating when it comes to post-release support and QoL improvements.

Chao

Could we please have capcom pay these guys an indeterminate amount of money so we can have this as the official RE4 remaster?

This is a texture/visual mod. Not some sort of remake. Do some research before going all chicken little over it. And this has been around since 2014, so I don't quite get how they're "revealing these things months before they are finished". Some reading comprehension would be useful to you.

McCHitman

Banned
This is a texture/visual mod. Not some sort of remake. Do some research before going all chicken little over it. And this has been around since 2014, so I don't quite get how they're "revealing these things months before they are finished". Some reading comprehension would be useful to you.[/QUOTE]

Thumbs up dude!

ekgrey

Hey Cris and Albert, looking great, as always. Wanted to point out in case you weren't aware though, that the donation link is either absent entirely or a bit too hidden on the mobile version of the site. I had to switch to desktop to find it.

And I'm sure you've considered it, so I'm wondering what the reason for going with one-off PayPal donations over a Patreon might be. Is it because that's maybe a little more complicated as far as not being seen as "monetizing" your work? (Just spitballing here, I don't personally see how it's any different since you're still not selling anything, but I'm certainly not a lawyer.)

I ask because I just can't make a donation that feels big enough to be remotely useful right now, but I could kick in a few bucks a month without missing it that would hopefully add up to something worthwhile. I suppose I can just use the PP link every month but the automated system of Patreon means I don't have to worry about forgetting and can save a little time, too. And I suspect I'm not alone.

Auraela

Banned

Its impressive but those devs will look at dev time. This is why remaster arent like this

UrbanRats

I've got the feeling this is going to happen.
They are doing it for free, why would Capcom bother to pay them? Certainly not out of good will.

And what are the chances of them trying to sell RE4HD AGAIN, with a marginal (amazing, dont get me wrong, but still not a full on remake) improvement in graphics? Especially if only for the PC version.

What are the odds of remastering the textures for REMake? The dimwits at Capcom thought it was not worth it for the best game in the franchise but for RE Zero, which is the worst of the old school ones.

Not asking to Chris and Albert specifically but... is that even possible considering these are pre rendered backgrounds?

HeySeuss

Will this ever see the light of day? It looks amazing and this is one of my favorite games of all time, but I'm afraid I'll never get to enjoy this version.

scitek

Its impressive but those devs will look at dev time. This is why remaster arent like this

These are two guys doing it on their own free time, though, and even in between jobs. It's really not fair to compare their effort to a developer with a full-time staff dedicated to it.

What are the odds of remastering the textures for REMake? The dimwits at Capcom thought it was not worth it for the best game in the franchise but for RE Zero, which is the worst of the old school ones.

Not asking to Chris and Albert specifically but... is that even possible considering these are pre rendered backgrounds?

Someone would have to recreate the backgrounds in a higher resolution from scratch. I don't see that happening.

Mivey

Will this ever see the light of day? It looks amazing and this is one of my favorite games of all time, but I'm afraid I'll never get to enjoy this version.
It's on the finishing line as far as the work on the levels is concerned. They are giving the first area, the village a finishing touch. It's up to them if they want to do that for the castle and island area as well. Either way, I don't imagine they will quit now.

Nerrel

They are doing it for free, why would Capcom bother to pay them? Certainly not out of good will.

And what are the chances of them trying to sell RE4HD AGAIN, with a marginal (amazing, dont get me wrong, but still not a full on remake) improvement in graphics? Especially if only for the PC version.

...Have you been following this thread? They're redoing not just the textures but models, effects, and a lot of glitch correction all over the place. How could you possibly consider this a marginal improvement? It's a thousand times more work than Capcom has ever done for any re-release of this game, which also renders your other point moot. If Capcom was willing to re-release it all those times with little to no improvements, certainly they'd be willing to release it with a thorough and high quality overhaul like this.

But I don't think this would be a full on re-release, they could probably just release the pack as an update for the current PS4/One versions.

That's not a possibility at all. You would either have to remake all of the models, textures and lighting/effects for the environments from scratch while matching the details up exactly with the collision data and then create a new render from it, or you would have to completely redraw every scene from scratch by hand. Coming up with thousands of photo realistic backgrounds would be an obscene amount of work. I think REmake is stuck as it is forever.

What makes you think that? They've been working at a great pace for three years straight and have released demos of 2/3 of the entire game already so that we can see the progress firsthand. It's not like this project is in limbo, with no communication from the creators for months. We always know where they're at, and right now they're in the final stretch.

It's on the finishing line as far as the work on the levels is concerned. They are giving the first area, the village a finishing touch. It's up to them if they want to do that for the castle and island area as well. Either way, I don't imagine they will quit now.

If I remember correctly I think they said the village is now totally done? The castle and especially the island won't really need the same kind of overhaul, since they had already been redoing models and effects by that point. The village needed so many passes because they didn't have the tools to fix a lot of things in the beginning.

Top Bottom