• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

Really don't know much about this, are we talking 4K texture support here?
Is there a specific way to gauge this? Our textures go up to 8192 x 8192, but that's for situations where the texture is mapped onto a huge 3D model (a wall, for example) and we need to go that large in order to present a high quality texture even when the player is right next to the wall or pointing their gun at it. But is there a way to say "yes, these are textures that are great for 4K displays?"

scitek

Really don't know much about this, are we talking 4K texture support here?

TL;DR: It's one of the most comprehensive and faithful texture mods ever. To the point that one of the two people behind it traveled to some of the actual locations in Europe the original textures came from and took his own pictures in order to make higher quality versions.

Is there a specific way to gauge this? Our textures go up to 8192 x 8192, but that's for situations where the texture is mapped onto a huge 3D model (a wall, for example) and we need to go that large in order to present a high quality texture even when the player is right next to the wall or pointing their gun at it. But is there a way to say "yes, these are textures that are great for 4K displays?"

TL;DR: It's one of the most comprehensive and faithful texture mods ever. To the point that one of the two people behind it traveled to some of the actual locations in Europe the original textures came from and took his own pictures in order to make higher quality versions.

Wow, sounds very good to me!!

Checking out the newest update like-
BoQzLqdCYAAtmkJ.jpg

I can relate with this guy. I love water in games lol...seems silly but I always have.

Nerrel

Is there a specific way to gauge this?

I don't think there is, other than just "do the textures still look good when playing at 4k?" I did some research into how to decide resolution for a texture pack and couldn't ever really find concrete rules about it; I think there are too many variables for a simple rule to work. I don't have a 4k display, but I'm sure with the quality of the work you're doing it'll look great.

The display you use when creating the textures can set the resolution in some way. I've been doing a texture pack for Majora's Mask and there are times when I have to scale things down to avoid moire patterns from forming at 1080p. If I were working specifically with 4k in mind and using such a monitor I'd be using the full resolutions and getting more detail out of what I'm doing, but I think if something looks sharp and crisp at 1080p it should scale up to 4k well enough.

I don't think there is, other than just "do the textures still look good when playing at 4k?" I did some research into how to decide resolution for a texture pack and couldn't ever really find concrete rules about it; I think there are too many variables for a simple rule to work. I don't have a 4k display, but I'm sure with the quality of the work you're doing it'll look great.

The display you use when creating the textures can set the resolution in some way. I've been doing a texture pack for Majora's Mask and there are times when I have to scale things down to avoid moire patterns from forming at 1080p. If I were working specifically with 4k in mind and using such a monitor I'd be using the full resolutions and getting more detail out of what I'm doing, but I think if something looks sharp and crisp at 1080p it should scale up to 4k well enough.
Thanks, I appreciate the insight! My totally non-scientific method for determining the resolution I need for a given texture / model is to have Leon get as close possible to it and then aim his handgun at it to get even closer: does it still look sharp? Am I bothered by pixelation? Is greater detail possible? The answers to those questions determine the resolution. :) Anyway, thanks again!

rucury

Banned
You guys are awesome and your work is incredible. I've donated in the past, and you can be sure I will again for the final release!! Thanks so much for your hard work!

epmode

After complaining about stuff like the missing specular highlights in the PC port, I feel a bit silly for not noticing that the water effect was different! You guys are amazing.

In related news, I'd pay for a patch that brings those few reload animations up to 60 FPS.

Joqu

I've been following this for a while now but I don't think I've posted in this thread before so allow me to use this opportunity to thank you. It's some amazing work and I looked forward to playing re4 with you guys' textures once the project is finished.

And yes, that's some nice water.

Wow, so it turns out there are 2 different RE4 HD projects. I was confused at first. I know someone else is doing an HD texture project for the GC/Wii game on Dolphin.

Joqu

The water looks great! Too bad Capcom didn't use the Wii version as the source of their port in the first place. Then again, that might mean that they'd have to work to redo the PS exclusive content? I dunno.

I was hoping for that "got eaten by Del Lago" cinematic.

:p

I mean it's a shame they didn't redo the PS exclusive content for the Wii version in the first place. I wish we had Separate Ways cutscenes in real time.

Nerrel

Hi!
I've updated our website with a post explaining the water effect improvement.

http://www.re4hd.com/?p=4847

https://youtu.be/bq9Qe3xpdMY

I'm pretty happy with the results! Now the water almost looks like GC/Wii water effect. Sometimes It's even slightly better :)

WATER-TW.gif

Some of those improvements are huge. I think you got the best results with the smaller puddles in the caves; those ripple effects not only look better than before, I think they generally look good by modern standards. The larger bodies of water seem harder to work with, but the results are definitely better than before.

Some of those improvements are huge. I think you got the best results with the smaller puddles in the caves; those ripple effects not only look better than before, I think they generally look good by modern standards. The larger bodies of water seem harder to work with, but the results are definitely better than before.

Yep, the smaller the water is the better it will look :) Limitations of the original effect...

And here goes a new Village update. Take a look at our website as usual for extra info!

http://www.re4hd.com/?p=4855

SenkiDala

Just to say thank you to you who are working on that.

I'm a huge fan of RE since the 1st one on PS1, I really loved RE4 at that time and it's one of my favorite game ever. I've played it dozens of time on GC, then on PS2 for the Ada bonus scenario, then on 360 for HD, then on PC for "better HD", and you are bringing it to another level!

Honestly I hate mods, I hate them because to me it breaks the vision of the creators. Even graphical mods. The only time I used that it was for some graphical tweeks on Dark Souls on PC (because anyway the PC versions without tweeks or durante thing looked like shit...).

Your work is really respecting the original work so it's why I really like it, it just improves everything in RE4, so there is nothing to complain about.

I check your website every week since around 2 years I think (or more) and it's so good to see that it's evolving well.

Hurry to play that! (I didn't download any part yet, I'm waiting for the full release! :D)

Holy shit.

I really couldn't imagine it looking much better than your original revision but, god, you guys continue to prove you're in a class of your own. Those additional improvements are just tremendous. Like a current gen game in certain cases outside of the shaders and lighting quality -- although you've even made the current lighting more accurate!

robgrab

This is so far and above any "texture mod" I've ever seen that it's bordering on a complete remaster. I've already donated twice and I will continue to as progress continues. Please keep up the good work guys. Your doing the Lords work.

Jawmuncher

So has capcom said anything about paying you all for this and making it official?
Because damn. The next time Re4 releases, it's gonna be sad if they don't put this amount of effort in themselves.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So has capcom said anything about paying you all for this and making it official?
Because damn. The next time Re4 releases, it's gonna be sad if they don't put this amount of effort in themselves.

Seriously. Capcom needs to endorse this shit ASAP

finley83

Banned
Amazing stuff as always. I was blown away by the original village release so to see it looking even better is quite something! Can't wait until the full release now!

GrayFoxPL

They should pay millions for all this work. I wanna play this on my PS4 darn it.

The water looks great! Too bad Capcom didn't use the Wii version as the source of their port in the first place. Then again, that might mean that they'd have to work to redo the PS exclusive content? I dunno.

:p

But they DID use the Wii version for the source of the port. You can tell because the geometry is the same and it uses in-engine cutscenes. If effects are missing/weird, it's because the team didn't take the time to properly port specific Gamecube code.

Thank you everyone for the comments and support!!

For this one...

Did you guys find a source fixture for this in real life somewhere? This is incredible.

Also those moisturized dirty wood planks!

Hehe no, it's a re-creation :)

But they DID use the Wii version for the source of the port. You can tell because the geometry is the same and it uses in-engine cutscenes. If effects are missing/weird, it's because the team didn't take the time to properly port specific Gamecube code.

They used the already ported PS3/X360 version (which already contain some graphical bugs such as some broken and missing effects) to create UHD. So, the ones who did a bad job were the HD Revival Selection port Team

I check your website every week since around 2 years I think (or more) and it's so good to see that it's evolving well.
Hurry to play that! (I didn't download any part yet, I'm waiting for the full release! :D)

Thank you for the patience! I know it's taking a lot of time but I'm glad you enjoy all the updates in the meantime :)

I looked back over some older videos and i'm happy that you changed how light sources rotate around things correctly, having static lighting on characters is a pet peeve of mine.

Top Bottom