• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Previews are dropping

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
All the previews look excellent and exactly what ARKANE fans expected: ARKANE is a studio that knows how to make games. Entirely possible that the open world overstays its welcome, but that they are bringing the ARKANE approach to enemy AI and immersive gameplay is all I needed to hear.

. . .it's odd. Feels like this is exactly the kind of game folks should be rooting for - a studio taking a crack at a genre that has definitely become stale, and injecting their DNA in to see what comes out - but it'll likely get a shrug from the gaming public at large because "reasons."

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Got my code and activated in steam. I hope I can juggle my progress but I'm not holding out much hope. Will just play on PC and hopefully steam deck.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
And I supported these guys.

I know Harvey Smith and some of those guys working there are communist-like, but I hoped they would be intelligent enough to understand that they don't have the capability to attempt anything like this. It comes off as a carpenter trying to bake an 8 story wedding cake. They can't do it, it's not gonna work, and they do not have the understanding of economics or politics to superimpose anything credible in this discussion through a video game.

I know you probably won't even notice this in the game, but there is a clear difference between a creative trying to contextualize concepts or politics and allowing the user to abstract them (Bioshock-ish), and creatives forcing on you what they think is correct. This is the latter. I was frustrated that Dishonored and Deathloop struggled, but now I am sort of happy about it. I absolutely can not stand rednecks and simpletons trying to force me to listen to personal ideologies that are clearly not based on anything deep or professional or schooling but just hate and anger at shadows in the corner.

Fuck these guys. I hope Microsoft guts the studio now, there is no place for this in the industry. Racists and communists need to get removed from the industry.
I am saving this one for some copypasta.

I know you probably won't even notice this in the game, but there is a clear difference between a creative trying to contextualize concepts or politics and allowing the user to abstract them (Bioshock-ish), and creatives forcing on you what they think is correct. This is the latter. I was frustrated that Dishonored and Deathloop struggled, but now I am sort of happy about it. I absolutely can not stand rednecks and simpletons trying to force me to listen to personal ideologies that are clearly not based on anything deep or professional or schooling but just hate and anger at shadows in the corner.

Fuck these guys. I hope Microsoft guts the studio now, there is no place for this in the industry. Racists and communists need to get removed from the industry.
thanks for pointing this out! i'm sure that an idiot like myself would've otherwise missed it...

VN1X

Banned
As I start to explore, that feeling is compounded by the strange lifelessness of the town. Before my session, Harvey is keen to emphasise that I don't have to follow the main plot—I can just wander and see what I discover. But when I give that a try, what I find is… not a lot. There are little groups of enemies standing around in various spots, ready to come after me if I stray too close, but there's precious little to really interact with. Almost all the buildings I poke around inside are simply bare. No items to pick up, nothing to see, no signs of life other than bloodsuckers and cultists. It's a far cry from the intricate dioramas of Dishonored.
- PC Gamer Article

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Getting conflicting statements from various articles and previews.
PC Gamer being very contrarian as of late. They gave Returnal a 7. A Seven.

Also one of the strengths of Arkane is environmental story telling and from the sounds of if they completely missed that part of RedFall.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I enjoy shit like Far Cry, Borderlands, and Arkane games in general, so I’m checking this out.

As long as they nail the gunplay (which it’s Arkane, so no worries there), it’ll be fun.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
will this be on PC gamepass?

Of course.

Convinced this is gonna slap in the end. These previews arw great.

Arkanes take on a vampire hunting far cry game with co op.

Cant wait!

Yep, aside from that one PC Gamer preview, the rest are mostly positive and reinforce the pseudo far-cry nature of the game, which I'm looking forward to.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
. . . except this is pretty much the opposite of what every other preview has said.
Ah then I stand corrected.

You're saying that it's been one of the weaker parts of RedFall then? It's been Arkane's strongsuit so I'd be surprised if they've failed in that regard.

sainraja

I thought that once too. If your connection is good, it’s fucking magic.

I streamed a pc (streaming PC service) to my phone, then to my Quest 2 and played Half Life Alyx that way. It just worked perfectly.

I don’t have a pc, but wanted to play the game. So I looked up streaming pc services and found one that would let me do it.
Its a neat side thing. You can buy a $5 plastic clip and hook your phone to the Xbox controller. Your saves and everything link up automatically. Zero effort really.
Unfortunately, that doesn't appeal to me. I get the idea behind streaming since we already have it for music and movies, but for gaming, I dunno, it just does not seem right to me. I get the benefits, though.

Last edited:
This game has a setting and art style that I generally like, but the gameplay just looks so boring in all the footage I've seen so far.
I like the style too

The gameplay seems…ok so far, but not mind blowing or anything

Seems to try and be a bit like Destiny but with far less smooth mechanics. So, I dunno.

Kinda feels like this game will be fun to try out on GP for a week but then you just sort of forget about it. Hope I’m wrong at it has a little more staying power but there’s not a strong narrative or world hook here, it’s all about the vampires and gunplay and if that doesn’t deliver strongly I feel most people will lose interest

if you played Dracula 1/2, there is good atmosphere(dark winter) and you feeling alone, but problem this is Quest. Like village/road/castle/forest etc

Never played them, however I did sink my teeth into a little Veil of Darkness. Which, as a 9 year old, I remember finding impenetrable.

9988095-veil-of-darkness-magazine-advertisement-computer-gaming-world-us_ua5fd5.jpg

Roberts

As long as the message isn't heavy handed and preachy then yeah, then I really don't have a problem with it.
Politics in art are very rarely subtle - it is all about whether you have anything to say and make it feel personal. Spike Lee built the whole career on being anything but subtle and still managed to be one of the most important filmmakers of the last 30 years.

But yeah, Redfall, imo, can be as political as they want as long as it genuine in its delivery and not just to please a certain audience.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Politics in art are very rarely subtle - it is all about whether you have anything to say and make it feel personal. Spike Lee built the whole career and being anything but subtle and still managed to be one of the most important filmmakers of the last 30 years.

But yeah, Redfall, imo, can be as political as they want as long as it genuine in its delivery and not just to please a certain audience.

I'm not a very political oriented person, but sometimes I just have to roll my eyes at some of the stuff. Some of the side missions in Spider-man are pretty cringe. Evil corporations polluting the environment and now Spidey has 2 minutes to prevent an ecological disaster. Shit like that. I just yawn and do the mission so I can get the Platinum. The only thing that makes it even memorable is how truly cringe it is, not the message itself. It is definitely an art to put your political beliefs into a story like that and make it feel, as you say, genuine. Very few who try actually pull it off, unfortunately. There were probably some political allegories in Dishonored that I just didn't pick up on so perhaps Redfall will be like that as well. If so, no issue at all for me.

I'm not a very political oriented person, but sometimes I just have to roll my eyes at some of the stuff. Some of the side missions in Spider-man are pretty cringe. Evil corporations polluting the environment and now Spidey has 2 minutes to prevent an ecological disaster. Shit like that. I just yawn and do the mission so I can get the Platinum. The only thing that makes it even memorable is how truly cringe it is, not the message itself. It is definitely an art to put your political beliefs into a story like that and make it feel, as you say, genuine. Very few who try actually pull it off, unfortunately. There were probably some political allegories in Dishonored that I just didn't pick up on so perhaps Redfall will be like that as well. If so, no issue at all for me.

lol, I'm surprised the Toxic Avenger hasn't resurfaced as some kind of eco-terrorist icon in recent years. Especially with the Marvel boom.

Or at least Swamp Thing, rising from the muck to punch climate change in the face. But that one's not too surprising with how inept the DC cinematic push has been.

Topher

Gold Member
I believe it is running on Unreal Engine 5.

Seems it is Unreal Engine 4

Redfall runs on Unreal Engine instead of Arkane's Void Engine, right?

Indeed. We're using Unreal Engine 4. Halfway through the project, Epic came up with Unreal Engine 5, but the game is based on Unreal Engine 4.26. If we had more time, we would have probably gone with UE5, but it was a lot of work just upgrading to 4.26.

The tv show not being renewed is a shame, did enjoy that quite a bit.
Ha didn't even realize there was one. Shows what I know.

As a kid I had a VHS with a few episodes from the 80s cartoon made into a movie. I watched that thing so many times. Some of the lines are still burned into my brain.

(My Un-Men!!)

KXVXII9X

Seems it is Unreal Engine 4

Redfall runs on Unreal Engine instead of Arkane's Void Engine, right?

Indeed. We're using Unreal Engine 4. Halfway through the project, Epic came up with Unreal Engine 5, but the game is based on Unreal Engine 4.26. If we had more time, we would have probably gone with UE5, but it was a lot of work just upgrading to 4.26.

[/URL]
That would make a lot more sense as it doesn't look on par to a game built on the UE5 from the ground up.

Astray

Gold Member
I like the style too

The gameplay seems…ok so far, but not mind blowing or anything

Seems to try and be a bit like Destiny but with far less smooth mechanics. So, I dunno.

Kinda feels like this game will be fun to try out on GP for a week but then you just sort of forget about it. Hope I’m wrong at it has a little more staying power but there’s not a strong narrative or world hook here, it’s all about the vampires and gunplay and if that doesn’t deliver strongly I feel most people will lose interest
I just feel like the game would have been far better off if they dropped the coop, made it offline single player, and combined all the different abilities into one skill tree.

There are interesting ideas there, and the setting is genuinely unique, but I don't see this game having staying power.

I just feel like the game would have been far better off if they dropped the coop, made it offline single player, and combined all the different abilities into one skill tree.

There are interesting ideas there, and the setting is genuinely unique, but I don't see this game having staying power.

Agreed, I don’t like skills being gated behind multiple characters

sainraja

Since they are working on removing the online requirement, the co-op features should just be a bonus. So if you want to engage with others, you can, but you can pretty much play it as a single-player offline game. I was thinking the online requirement was due to it being a GaaS type of game where you have to connect to their servers, so Destiny-like in that sense. It might still have some of that, but they don't need to force us to be online now, given that it is being removed.

Also, I see many people not being into the vampire like setting but you never know... that might end up being what attracts you to this game lol.

Last edited:
Man redfall looking good. Microsoft is poised to have a big year with hi fi, redfall, Forza, starfeild. With the activision blizzard deal looking likely now Diablo and whatever new Call of duty this year regardless of marketing contracts will be 1st party. Gamepass is going to start looking beastly.

Cryio

It's an Arkhane game. Based on their track record, this will be brilliant as well. I also loved Deathloop. It will be a buy for me.

I'm gonna get the game in 1-2 years after launch, because I don't trust Launch Day releases for any game tho.

CamHostage

That would make a lot more sense as it doesn't look on par to a game built on the UE5 from the ground up.

Like... Fortnite?

There aren't yet games made from the ground up in UE5; there are tech demos and a few trailers for future projects (most made on UE4 then converted), but the first commercial UE5 games actually coming out are Bloober's Layers of Fear and then Tekken 8 (and maybe Silent Hill 2 in between, another Bloober title. )

UE5 doesn't make games pretty or ugly. It can assist in say producing some relational lumination and high-density assets if that's what you're project's graphic style asks for, but this game went it's own way no matter the version number on the dev suite.

Redfall looks like Redfall.

Last edited:

ududy

Neo Member
I find most political critique in everything, including games, to be a superficial caricature of reality that just seems like a cheap way to try to present your narrative as deeper than it is and yourself as a creator of more than "mere" entertainment. You want to tell a good tale that has some sort of significance to real human challenges? First make sure to create human characters, not political stereotypes. I like Dishonored but won't trust Arkane with character writing, unfortunately, as their characters are designed in the same spirit as their art - exaggerated style over subtlety and nuance.

KXVXII9X

Like... Fortnite?

There aren't yet games made from the ground up in UE5; there are tech demos and a few trailers for future projects (most made on UE4 then converted), but the first commercial UE5 games actually coming out are Bloober's Layers of Fear and then Tekken 8 (and maybe Silent Hill 2 in between, another Bloober title. )

UE5 doesn't make games pretty or ugly. It can assist in say producing some relational lumination and high-density assets if that's what you're project's graphic style asks for, but this game went it's own way no matter the version number on the dev suite.

Redfall looks like Redfall.
I get that and yes, kind of like Fortnite. Fortnite basically is the UE5 tech demo, so it has all the talent working on it with the newest tech. So I'm in agreement it takes lots more than an engine to make something look nice. Talent is still key. Lumen and Nanite do make a notable difference to me for sure. I can just clearly see Fortnite using more of the newest UE5 tech and Redfall using the older versions of it. Nanite in general is the key difference I see. I wasn't as impressed with some of the Fortnite UE5 creative demos though and still think art direction, budget, and talent is the key to making something look like it does.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm going into media avoid mode on this.

Definitely going to play it, think it'll be to better going in knowing as little as possible.

Top Bottom