• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Previews are dropping

Brave. Unapologetic. Daring.

The played-out strawman of "devs are too scared to include social commentary" is silly. Games have been doing that for ages now. Just because a studio doesn't bash their player base over the head with it in marketing doesn't mean it isn't there for you, as the player, to discover and process it as you see fit. JRPGs have been bashing corporations, pollution and what not for decades just as one example.

Nydius

Someone needs to remind them who they work for.

Taking clownery to new levels.
Indeed. Don't lecture me about the ultra rich and mega corps sucking the life out of the Earth when it's the ultra rich and those trillion dollar mega corps that are providing him the resources and means to create and publish his work.

Hypocrisy. If it bothers Smith that much, perhaps he should put his money where his ideology is and quit working for a company that is in the top three richest in the world and still has ties to a guy who is gobbling up farmland across the globe at an alarming rate.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah watched some previews and it doesn't look any less mid than previous showings...

Still day one because i love arkane and the genre but i don't know with this one...i REALLY want to love it but alas...

I would have loved dishonored 3 instead.

Last edited:

GymWolf

If this is successful maybe they'll get to revisit Prey again, fingers crossed.
I prefer if they revisit dark messiah over prey if dish 3 is off the table.

I REALLY disliked the enemies and combat in that one (except the cute mimics)

If this is successful, we can forget classic immersive sims from them dude...M is gonna push for a sequel or something similar.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

thats one of the most idiotic thing you can say , ur an idiot

In the US, it's mountains of cars, available electricity, and factory output. Minus the cars, it's the same conditions in Japan, Europe, much of China, South America, and even the Middle East.

The sheer availability of 20th century progress is why we have man-made climate change. It isn't fake venture capitalists LOL.

It's us.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Still not convinced, hopefully it turns out great in the end though.

Last edited:

sainraja

I am looking forward to this game, and I am kind of hoping they drop it early in April for Game Pass or something. I am not looking forward to Xbox fanboy crowing about it though and boy do they crow the loudest. 😬

Ok, I am joking...just a little bit. :D

TonyK

What? Those graphics are U5?
YIz8vz1.jpg

Where is Lumen?

Last edited:

Dutchy

Defending =/= Not caring

I'm mostly talking about Senjutsu. He wrote a whole book on why it's not a big deal.

Also these video's are looking rough and confirm everything I expected. The first time I saw one of the characters sprinting, i thought the animation didn't load in or whatever. Just a diagonal gun going forward in Z space rofl. Man, I'm always hoping for these games to turn around the ship for me but it's somehow even worse than I had anticipated. Just a super rough looking game overall.

Last edited:

reksveks

Brave. Unapologetic. Daring.

The played-out strawman of "devs are too scared to include social commentary" is silly. Games have been doing that for ages now. Just because a studio doesn't bash their player base over the head with it in marketing doesn't mean it isn't there for you, as the player, to discover and process it as you see fit. JRPGs have been bashing corporations, pollution and what not for decades just as one example.
Most if not all media is political in one way or another is my position. I just laugh at companies that deny that.

GymWolf

I thought people liked Arkane, based on the replies everyone hates that studio and their games, personally I am very excited for Redfall
Tbf people liked arkane for their immersive sims, not for their open world shlooters.

They have everything to prove in this genre.

Riky

$MSFT
The IGN preview gives some interesting details about how the Arkane DNA starts to come through as you play, with the alternative timelines and storytelling, looks like exploration will reward you with a huge amount of detail that can affect gameplay in a meaningful way.

R6Rider

Gold Member
As I start to explore, that feeling is compounded by the strange lifelessness of the town. Before my session, Harvey is keen to emphasise that I don't have to follow the main plot—I can just wander and see what I discover. But when I give that a try, what I find is… not a lot. There are little groups of enemies standing around in various spots, ready to come after me if I stray too close, but there's precious little to really interact with. Almost all the buildings I poke around inside are simply bare. No items to pick up, nothing to see, no signs of life other than bloodsuckers and cultists. It's a far cry from the intricate dioramas of Dishonored.
- PC Gamer Article

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Getting conflicting statements from various articles and previews.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
As I start to explore, that feeling is compounded by the strange lifelessness of the town. Before my session, Harvey is keen to emphasise that I don't have to follow the main plot—I can just wander and see what I discover. But when I give that a try, what I find is… not a lot. There are little groups of enemies standing around in various spots, ready to come after me if I stray too close, but there's precious little to really interact with. Almost all the buildings I poke around inside are simply bare. No items to pick up, nothing to see, no signs of life other than bloodsuckers and cultists. It's a far cry from the intricate dioramas of Dishonored.
- PC Gamer Article

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Getting conflicting statements from various articles and previews.
That’s a good thing, imo.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Enjoyed all of their games up until Deathloop, which I I didn't finish and thought was at best meh. Played it on ps5 when it came out, tried again on gamepass, but it just didn't do it for me. This one I'm not even inclined to try. Sad, really.

Last edited:

SOME-MIST

prey was one of the coolest games I've played in a long time. I'm on board mainly because I want to see more games like that

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

As I end my time with the game, I'm left wondering how much my adventure was hobbled by my lack of co-op buddies. With enemy numbers and difficulty scaled up, would fights feel more dangerous and exciting? Would synergy between our abilities open up more strategic options? Would multiplayer chaos fill the strange emptiness at the heart of this world?

hmm, as much as I am a single player purist, this preview makes it sound like it'll be more enjoyable with a group.

I don't have a SX, but would like to get one...I don't like FPSs, but would like to try this one...I am a sucker for vampires-centered movies/books/games, but I don't like the aesthetics here...
Awaiting players' impressions and reviews for this title.

Bragr

Banned

And I supported these guys.

I know Harvey Smith and some of those guys working there are communist-like, but I hoped they would be intelligent enough to understand that they don't have the capability to attempt anything like this. It comes off as a carpenter trying to bake an 8 story wedding cake. They can't do it, it's not gonna work, and they do not have the understanding of economics or politics to superimpose anything credible in this discussion through a video game.

I know you probably won't even notice this in the game, but there is a clear difference between a creative trying to contextualize concepts or politics and allowing the user to abstract them (Bioshock-ish), and creatives forcing on you what they think is correct. This is the latter. I was frustrated that Dishonored and Deathloop struggled, but now I am sort of happy about it. I absolutely can not stand rednecks and simpletons trying to force me to listen to personal ideologies that are clearly not based on anything deep or professional or schooling but just hate and anger at shadows in the corner.

Fuck these guys. I hope Microsoft guts the studio now, there is no place for this in the industry. Racists and communists need to get removed from the industry.

Giant bomb previews are concerning. Looks like this ones going to be a dud.
You also have to be conscious of the lens that all of these previews come from. Microsoft flew out a bunch of game journalists in studio, to not only play the game, but also interview and talk with the game's director and producers after. I think most game journalists usually temper criticism when writing previews anyways, but especially when a company rolls out the red carpet like Microsoft did here.

I'm sure the game will be solid. It's a AAA Bethesda game! But these previews have me less hyped than before

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I am a wise old man then... :D

I don't think I can ever fully get behind streaming.
I thought that once too. If your connection is good, it’s fucking magic.

I streamed a pc (streaming PC service) to my phone, then to my Quest 2 and played Half Life Alyx that way. It just worked perfectly.

I don’t have a pc, but wanted to play the game. So I looked up streaming pc services and found one that would let me do it.

Last edited:

Three

I know you probably won't even notice this in the game, but there is a clear difference between a creative trying to contextualize concepts or politics and allowing the user to abstract them (Bioshock-ish), and creatives forcing on you what they think is correct. This is the latter. I was frustrated that Dishonored and Deathloop struggled, but now I am sort of happy about it. I absolutely can not stand rednecks and simpletons trying to force me to listen to personal ideologies that are clearly not based on anything deep or professional or schooling but just hate and anger at shadows in the corner.

Fuck these guys. I hope Microsoft guts the studio now, there is no place for this in the industry. Racists and communists need to get removed from the industry.
I think you need to calm your tits. That seems to be you trying to cancel people and forcing what you think is correct more than anyone else is doing right now.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I thought that once too. If your connection is good, it’s fucking magic.

I streamed a pc (streaming PC service) to my phone, then to my Quest 2 and played Half Life Alyx that way. It just worked perfectly.

I don’t have a pc, but wanted to play the game. So I looked up streaming pc services and found one that would let me do it.
thats a big "if" though, no guarantee it works good 100% all the time for every person.

I wouldn't mind this if I also knew that arkane had a sequel to prey or some other single player game in the works too. This just isn't my thing and what i expect from arkane as a huge fan of their games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom