• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

--PS5 reportedly struggling with Resident Evil 8: can barely run it at 1080p/60

Status
Not open for further replies.
only 1080p 60?

giphy.gif

checkerboarded and upscalled to a fat 4k

Could be true as the game isn't coming out soon + the trailer showed a horrible framerate.

That said, there's also a whiff of bullshit in the air. Why doesn't he name the other games that the PS5 is supposedly struggling to run at 1080p/60fps? To be honest, I find it hard to believe developers are even targeting 60fps. But still, if what he said is true, his uncle at Nintendo/developer friend should be able to provide him with a list of games that are supposedly slide-showing on the PS5.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If true cerny has to go. He went all in on ssd bullshit instead of a more powerful gpu.

If history has taught us anything, it's that third party devs never take advantage of secret sauce or custom hardware.

1080p vs 4k would be the biggest fuck up of all time.

I mean, he even says it's just because of the fact that they haven't yet optimized everything and that he expects things to be up and running well by release.

It makes sense too, the Xbox and PC both use Direct X and the Xbox is a more powerful (and more PC like) system whereas the PS5 has a different GPU design philosophy (slim and fast vs wide and "slow" for Xbox) and a different API (OpenGL/Vulkan plus some custom stuff too iirc) meaning that for multiplat games it's probably harder to port over to PS5

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
In theory, they should both be using DirectX 12 Ultimate. The PS5 will be using its own GNM(X) APIs again (I presume).

So this could be down to the developers struggling to get the most out of something they're not as familiar with?

Last edited:

Astral Dog

That garbage doesn't have anything on Dusk Golem, he only said months ago the obvious two console versions are being optimized and one is currently running worse than the other but Capcom is working hard so both work perfectly at launch, EVEN if there is a resolution difference wich we can't know right now as the game is like a year from release.

T-Cake

So this could be down to the developers struggling to get the most out of something their not as familiar with?

No, the Sony developer tools are the best in the business. You pick up little bits from Digital Foundry's videos and they've said time and time again that the PS4's software is better than the Xbox's. I can't see the PS5 tools being worse.

Last edited:
From the other site, Insider Dusk Golem reports:

How can be this happening even. I can’t believe it.
Me either because it’s lies going by the Feb event you’d have to be brain dead to have trouble running that game on ps5 dev times are shorter on ps5 then all of previous PlayStation’s combined 6 weeks dev times

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
No, the Sony developer tools are the best in the business. You pick up little bits from Digital Foundry's videos and they've said time and time again that the PS4's software is better than the Xbox's.

What does them being the "best" have to to do with the experience of the people working with them?

Aladin

With machine learned upscaling, resolution and frame rate wont be a problem on both consoles for a long time.

it's up to capcom to choose between making visual downgrade across all platforms and give xsx performance boost or leave things as they're and make the ps5 playing catch-up game with performance .

Last edited:
Having seen what Sony first party studios have done so far, I genuinely believe this is an issue on Capcom's side. Perhaps more work is needed to really get the PS5 really purring with the RE engine which does seem more power hungry over pushing speed. But I'm sure developers have also said developers are really enjoying PS5 development because of its simplicity. This is likely a development issue.

It’s weird how PlayStation attracts so much of this. Gets people to try and spread lies. I bet in his mind he was just “evening things”.
Wouldn't be the first time I've seen a mod of a site allow that just to give a "camp" something to use as ammo in their forums. They don't tend to be as active otherwise.

That being said, I suppose we shouldn't assign motive.

Guilty_AI

If true cerny has to go. He went all in on ssd bullshit instead of a more powerful gpu.

If history has taught us anything, it's that third party devs never take advantage of secret sauce or custom hardware.

Rather than secret sauce or better hardware, i think the bigger issue are bad programing practices by the developers. Seeing the PC port of some previously console-only games like RDR2 and HZD having terrible performance and stability issues, and considering we can still detect terrible practices in these ports like tying game systems to framerate, makes me think theres some serious Go Horse philosophy at work during the development of these big titles.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Are we discussing a games performance that is still 50% away from the final build? This game is like a year away from now.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Kind of like 720p vs 1080p at the start of this generation?

SilentUser

He is a know insider and got right a lot before, including the reveal of the game. Yet, I'm not worried yet since there is plenty of time do adjust the engine. Capcom does have a lot of talented people for them.

Elog

I hope Dusk Golem is ok - no one should be personally threatened etc for talking about consoles on the internet. However, erroneous information need to be called out. He started with stating that the XSX would be able to push 300-700% more pixels to the screen than the PS5. Of course he will be called out. A worst case scenario is roughly a 20% difference for an engine that does not take any of the advantages of the PS5 into consideration.

He should really have known better.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Hey, I have a source that says REIX is running at 8K 240FPS on the Switch, but only in docked mode. They can also confirm it can’t run on PS5.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
So a game that's supposed to run 1080P 60fps on PS4 is struggling to run 1080p 60fps on PS5.......Sounds like RE-R2 which run 1080p on both XBONE and PS4 and XBONE was up 20fps in the framerate department.....

So what are you telling me OP. Series X runs this at 4K 60fps and PS5 struggles with 1080P......Seems MS's machine eats monsters for breakfast afterall......

Those 2 tfs manage to quadruple the amount of pixels and assure better performance! They must be magic TFs forged by elven smiths in the fires of Mount Doom.
That extra 2TF was made of the finest Asgardian Steel from Muspelheim.......Forged in the defeated blood and sweat of Agni and Rudra by Sindri and Brok themselves. That it could manage 4K 60fps whilst PS5 struggles with 1080P.is a feat only these men could accomplish with said steel and ingredients.....Notwithstanding, Dealer did say that he expects Series X to be about 50+ percent better over PS5....

Having seen what Sony first party studios have done so far, I genuinely believe this is an issue on Capcom's side. Perhaps more work is needed to really get the PS5 really purring with the RE engine which does seem more power hungry over pushing speed. But I'm sure developers have also said developers are really enjoying PS5 development because of its simplicity. This is likely a development issue.
True , their engine is the perfect example for making a topnotch looking games running on low end hardware , it can't be true .

LarknThe4th

I imagine it will be fine for when it comes out plenty of time for refinement

Besides that well isnt it expected that Multi plats will generally perform better on the Series X? It has a performance advantage

Mathematics works like that

Aladin

In Performance mode, DLSS 2.0 can take a 1080p frame and upscale it all the way up to 2160p (4K). Quality mode, meanwhile, may upscale 1440p to 2160p.
Maybe he means, the game is having a 1080p60fps and 1440p60fps mode, then upscaled using ML. Would like more details. If this is the case, unoptimised code running below 60fps @1080p is not an alarming news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom