• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

--PS5 reportedly struggling with Resident Evil 8: can barely run it at 1080p/60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armorian

Banned
It depends what the issue is or where the bottlenecks are. You can't make blanket statements like that unless you know for a fact exactly what they are doing. For all we know this is due to the lower number of shaders on ps5. Who knows.

Also despite sony fans claiming tflops dont matter, how is it you fall back on your "max 30%" difference?

If ~9TF rumors are true (the ones before official numbers from Sony) then XSX is 30% more powerful when PS5 APU is limited by power draw. Number of cores doesn't mean shit if one is having faster clock. Only other advantage XSX has that could affect resolution is 1/5 higher (IIRC) memory BW.

X1X has much higher resolution than Pro in some games thanks to more RAM available (for bigger framebuffer) and higher memory BW, in pure TF it was ~40% faster I belive.

2/3 versions of the game using DirectX 12 while the other version that's reportedly struggling isn't.

DX12 renderer so far was shit in REngine. PS5 native API should be faster.

anything to stop the ps5 momentum/train:messenger_tears_of_joy:
You're late, it happened at GDC.
He probably means,
ps5 is fropping frames below 60 at 1080p. while Series X is holding frames at 60. Both at same resolution.
Ps5 can't run at 1080p/60 is a joke, maybe with RT on... which would make more sense.
i said this month ago ,ps5 will not run many games at 4k native ,everyone called me a fanboy
Native 4k60 xbox, 1800p ps5 for 60fps (with the same details as xbox)

Dusk Golem deserves to eat shit for the FUD he is spreading.
Mat (a much more reliable insider) already said that the difference would be minimal.
What's up with the gay kratos

738725.jpg

What was the inspiration behind it.

Mister Wolf

If ~9TF rumors are true (the ones before official numbers from Sony) then XSX is 30% more powerful when PS5 APU is limited by power draw. Number of cores doesn't mean shit if one is having faster clock. Only other advantage XSX has that could affect resolution is 1/5 higher (IIRC) memory BW.

X1X has much higher resolution than Pro in some games thanks to more RAM available (for bigger framebuffer) and higher memory BW, in pure TF it was ~40% faster I belive.

DX12 renderer so far was shit in REngine. PS5 native API should be faster.

While you're holding up RE2 as some kind of gotcha you must have forgot about the more the recent DMCV and RE3 using DirectX 12.

Batiman

Banned
That would be surprising because I didn’t think it looked to great. Looked current gen to me. I dunno I haven’t seen it since the reveal so I could be wrong.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If your game is struggling to run on a machine with the specs of the PS5, you've really got problems!

Mr Moose

Dusk Golem deserves to eat shit for the FUD he is spreading.
Mat (a much more reliable insider) already said that the difference would be minimal.
If someone has told him that and he's just passing it on then its fine. Should always take things with a grain of salt.
He might have miss-heard, or they might've actually said it, I just find it weird they'd even mention 1080p since it was shown at 4K (with dog shit framerate). 4K is 4x 1080p. You'd need twice the power(?) from 30 to 60fps. We have good CPUs next gen. I don't think it's going to be an issue, 7 ran fine on the current gen machines @ 60fps, this game is far from release I think and isn't much of a looker.

Alphagear

We know it runs like shit, but the 1080p thing is up for debate.
From what? A trailer?

This game is running on the same Engine as RE7, RE2 and RE3 remakes.

All which ran smoothly and at higher resolutions then 1080p on the PS4 pro.

I highly doubt this is the case on the more powerful PS5.

Mr Moose

From what? A trailer?

This game is running on the same Engine as RE7, RE2 and RE3 remakes.

All which ran smoothly and at higher resolutions then 1080p on the PS4 pro.

I highly doubt this is the case on the more powerful PS5.
It was running on PS5 @ 4K, that's all we have to go off at the moment.
Looked like a current gen Resi Evil (well it is but yeah...).

oldergamer

No, you are dumb when making statements like that from currently known specs.

Unless you are experienced dev with both dev kits, that is retarded bullshit.

Like 18-20% GPU difference would make it run perfectly 4k on xsex and not even 1080p on ps5

After first year we will see if either pulls out "secret sauce", by better tools/api/customizations etc.

But at the moment both have so similar specs that if one can run it, both can. (Unless there is huge problem on devkits etc, and most sources state that ps5 is easy to dev to).

So, this "insider" probably is just sad biased xbox fanboy of being jealous of Playstation brand popularity
Your argument fell apart with the 18 - 20% difference quote.

oldergamer

So both are using the same CPU and one has equivalent to a 2070 super and the other a 2080 but for 'some reason' the first can barely manage 1080p/60....... riiiiight!!!

What absolute bullshit.
comparing pc gpus is not gonna get you the right answer here. There are more differences in features between the two consoles then comparing a 2070 to a 2080.

oldergamer

They still call you a fanboy.

PS5 is powerful enough to have tons of 4k60 native games, but like on PC (see DLSS), power is usually better used elsewhere to get a better pic.
Ps5 doesnt have machine learning hardware so not sure what the dlss comparison is about

Entroyp

I kind of trust this guy is saying the truth, specially since his recent leaks were true. But Even if the game is running like shit on the PS5 right now it will be fine by the time it releases.

Bryank75

Banned
comparing pc gpus is not gonna get you the right answer here. There are more differences in features between the two consoles then comparing a 2070 to a 2080.
They are both on the same silicon... the whole idea of the performance gap being anything more than a slight resolution difference is laughable.
If anyone believes this is a reflection on the capability of the machine, they must be stupid.

I mean, this whole thing reeks of some controversy to even the consumer outlook after the embarrassment of the Halo Infinite reveal.....

Raonak

Banned
I find it a little suspect in that we've yet to see any game actually run on Xbox hardware so far.

But it's also possible they haven't started their optimisation run for ps5 architecture, while for Xbox they already have DX12

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
It's slightly less sharp on the pro. That's the difference . It's better than vanilla ps4 but not as sharp as one X, as one may expect from a literal 40% boost in gpu power, 50 percent more ram and a faster CPU.... meanwhile over in the real world where the ps5 is 15 percent down in GPU... I suspect we will need DF to show us where the differences even are .

i have both games on the x and the pro,i finished the game on the x,and i received a code for the pro,and the "looks crap on pro and incredible on x " its pure bullshit from the same people who ignored the 720p vs 1080p difference,game on x looks amazing,game on pro looks amazing and a bit less sharp,thats all

Last edited:
Matt on ree just confirmed that Dusk Golem claims were basically bullshit (well he was more polite as the claim came from another mod), and that the difference between both consoles is the smallest ever between 2 competing consoles. Also he said that PS5 ~10tf is not a theoretical max and is what is available most of the time.

Matt is a dev (or working with devs) that has seen first hand games running on both machines.

Last edited:

trikster40

Sony is known for assisting devs with their platform. If Capcom is struggling, and Sony has a marketing deal in place, rest assured they'll work together to get it running smooth.

TheAssist

Honestly, at some point I'll be really glad when all this trashing on both sides is over. No one will even remember this "leak" in a few weeks anyway.
I guess launch cant come soon enough. I at least want to see how shit any of these new consoles are with my own eyes and not hear it from some "reported" story.

Matt on ree just confirmed that Dusk Golem claims were basically bullshit (well he was more polite as the claim came from another mod), and that the difference between both consoles is the smallest ever between 2 competing consoles. Also he said that PS5 ~10tf is not a theoretical max and is what is available most of the time.

Matt is a dev (or working with devs) that has seen first hand games running on both machines.

Could we have a link please?

I would really appreciate it.

Krisprolls

Banned
I heard
Ps5 doesnt have machine learning hardware so not sure what the dlss comparison is about

The point is they prefer using reconstructed resolution (with DLSS) on PC and not native to have better FPS and better effects. Hence power is better used elsewhere.

And PS5 could use machine learning, but that's not what matters here.

Last edited:
Could we have a link please?

I would really appreciate it.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
This is going to be a theme this gen imo. Like the 360 days. A lot of engines are GPU bound and if you’re targeting 60fps then resolution is going to have to be lowered considerably on a 10tf GPU.

This reads like console war bait to me. Something for Xbox fanboys to use as ammo on PlayStation fanboys. He says it will probably run perfectly fine by the time it releases next year and he would be right. We know game development is a work in progress and maybe you run into more issues on one platform over another but developers inevitably solve those issues so it won't happen again with every new title.

hwraytracer

Neo Member
Just like ps4pro/xb1 generation, 3rd party is generally better on xb side.

Not a big deal as PS folk are use to this and will still play the games.

You should all be used to this by now....

Madjako

Honestly this is uninteresting, devs will fix that (if true). The only interesting thing is on what platform you can play this game in VR.
The answer is ps5 and pc, but ps5 for a lesser price.

T-Cake

Just like ps4pro/xb1 generation, 3rd party is generally better on xb side.

Not a big deal as PS folk are use to this and will still play the games.

You should all be used to this by now....

The combo of PC+PS5 is going to be even better next gen. DX12 Ultimate should mean games using DX12 will perform well on PC and Xbox.

Iced Arcade

I expect the series x version to be a bit better BUT come on... Struggling with 1080p 60fps? If that was legit, the developer is the problem not the hardware.

Thank you both for that. We will see which one is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom