• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Does Resident Evil Village Run on iPhone 15?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In the last year or so, it seems Apple has come to realize the devices it is putting in everyone's pockets are actually quite powerful and can do a whole lot more than just browse the internet and send text messages. Playing video games on a phone is familiar practice, but with the release of iPhone 15, Apple is making a push to compete with the likes of PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. This is why games like Death Stranding and Resident Evil Village are making their way to the newest iOS device, the latter of which releases October 30.

In honor of that looming release, join Game Informer's Kyle Hilliard and Marcus Stewart for a look at the game on this new platform. It's difficult to show exactly what Resident Evil Village looks on iPhone 15. The screen looks sharper and the framerate is higher than I am able to capture, but we do our best to offer at least a small taste. To ruin the thesis of the video a bit, the conclusion is that Resident Evil Village on iPhone 15 looks good and plays well! As long as you are playing with a controller. The touch-controls render the game nearly unplayable. The U.I. is supremely distracting and Resident Evil Village was not built with the touch controls in mind, and it shows. But if you have a Backbone controller or a Bluetooth controller (like a PS4 or PS5 controller) than you will be in good shape to fight werewolves and Lady Dimitrescu on a handheld platform.

M.W.

XTaQBtb.gif

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The game work very well when I tried it on the ipad. Pretty on par with console version.
I mean at that point just play it on console that has better performance?

Not everyone who has a iphone 15 pro, has a console. Console has no portability too

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
The switch 2 will kick the living crap out of this. Its almost sad at this point. feels like capcom ripped apple off. here is a shitty port of 20 fps with switch graphics on your newest phone you ever made... oh yeah and it will overheat too.

If you think those visuals are ‘switch graphics’, either you’ve never seen a game running on the Switch before or you need to take advantage of a SpecSavers Black Friday deal.

That iPhone is much more powerful than a Switch.

//DEVIL//

If you think those visuals are ‘switch graphics’, either you’ve never seen a game running on the Switch before or you need to take advantage of a SpecSavers Black Friday deal.

That iPhone is much more powerful than a Switch.
it would help if you know how to read :)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not everyone who has a iphone 15 pro, has a console. Console has no portability too
If you have enough money to spend that much on IPhone 15 pro then you have enough money for console and if they didn’t then they are not much in to gaming in the first place.

Also this is just me but playing survival horror game like Resident Evil I would imagine someone wants to play on big screen to properly immerse themselves to atmosphere, not playing on fucking bus ride…I don’t know how playing like that is considered enjoyable.

Last edited:

ArtHands

If you have enough money to spend that much on IPhone 15 pro then you have enough money for console and if they didn’t then they are not much in to gaming in the first place.

Also this is just me but playing survival horror game like Resident Evil I would imagine someone wants to play on big screen to properly immerse themselves to atmosphere, not playing on fucking bus ride…I don’t know how playing like that way is considered enjoyable.

That’s like saying if you can afford to buy a house you can afford to buy a yacht. terribly logic there.

Go throw your argument at Sony who’s releasing a PS Portal. You’re gatekeeping the size of the devices and how people choose to play their game on.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
That’s like saying if you can afford to buy a house you can afford to buy a yacht. terribly logic there.

Go throw your argument at Sony who’s releasing a PS Portal. You’re gatekeeping the size of the devices and how people choose to play their game on.
What? people are free to game anywhere they fucking want, I'm just saying in opinion phone is not the place I personally to play games like Resident Evil.

"gatekeeping" what the fuck is that even mean? Am I actively keeping people from playing their games on phone?

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Also this is just me but playing survival horror game like Resident Evil I would imagine someone wants to play on big screen to properly immerse themselves to atmosphere,

Most people upgrade their phone every 2-3 years regardless of gaming. Now add in AAA console games that get a boost every 2-3 years with a purchase you were already going to do.

Makes the “ why don’t you just buy a console “ argument pretty stupid sounding. 😵‍💫

ZoukGalaxy

Years of works with hundreds of people to create an immersive game to finally play it on... a stamp sized anti-immersive screen and device (it's a metaphor...).

What sad time.
Sad Kitten GIF

Last edited:

mrcroket

Most people upgrade their phone every 2-3 years regardless of gaming. Now add in AAA console games that get a boost every 2-3 years with a purchase you were already going to do.

Makes the “ why don’t you just buy a console “ argument pretty stupid sounding. 😵‍💫
The thing is that people do NOT play that kind of game on a phone, and those who like that kind of game would not play it on a phone even if they could.

Will there be exceptions? Yes, of course, but there is no market or it would have been exploited years ago.

Comandr

Years of works with hundreds of people to create an immersive game to finally play it on... a stamp sized anti-immersive screen and device (it's a metaphor...).

What sad time.
Sad Kitten GIF
What a strange take. The "small" iphone is larger than the switch lite, and almost identical in size to the standard switch. The bigger iphone is quite a bit bigger than both, only being edged out by the switch oled. Millions and millions of people seem to think that's a fine size to game on.

Embearded

An iPhone Pro costs ~1300€ here and we don't really get then for "free" with provider contracts, we need to pay at least half of that, depending on the contract.

Anyway, i cannot think of a person who would be able to pay 2 times the basic income and won't be able to afford unlimited data and gamepass, which i suspect plays much better than this. I watched the clip and noticed frame drops and stuttering.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Apple has an opportunity here to really grow the gaming sector, which is great for the industry. An influx of cash from millions of potential new consumers would also mean new studios, more work for developers and more competition.

However, this is a long time away, maybe as far as a decade for the tech to catch up to most of the install base.

Dedicated hardware? Nah, just cast your phone to your TV, monitor, headset, etc. Eventually phones will do the same to your laptop.

Mobile processors are not quite there, due to thermals, mostly… but they will get there someday, and sooner than some think.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Apple has an opportunity here to really grow the gaming sector, which is great for the industry. An influx of cash from millions of potential new consumers would also mean new studios, more work for developers and more competition.

However, this is a long time away, maybe as far as a decade for the tech to catch up to most of the install base.

Dedicated hardware? Nah, just cast your phone to your TV, monitor, headset, etc. Eventually phones will do the same to your laptop.

Mobile processors are not quite there, due to thermals, mostly… but they will get there someday, and sooner than some think.
I don't think it will. Nintendo rule the portable market, and there's no getting round their first party.

In the home console space you still have the same thing with first party studios not being replaceable, but you also have other things to contend with like the necessity of having your phone accessible and not stuck in some sort of dock or whatever else it takes to have a decent enough experience.

Some things can't be replaced or integrated, and if all this technology is going to be X, Y and Z possible I think it just means that consoles will use that tech in their consoles - especially Nintendo's.

Kings Field

Just got my pro max in today and I won't be gaming on it

While I love the switch I never take it anywhere with me. Besides temple run I have no interest in mobile games

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
The Switch lite exists…
That iPhone is much more powerful than a Switch
Switch does not shackle it's devs by having them aim for a game size that is appropriate for a phone
The biggest limitation of smartphones is still that game sizes. The largest game on iOS is Genshin Impact at 20 GB. Devs can't afford to force smartphone players to download a large game. The smartphone has multiple uses. Hence, Witcher 3 is on Switch and not iPhone.
Also, Switch has much superior tools for game development. Metal still has a long way to go.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I don't think it will. Nintendo rule the portable market, and there's no getting round their first party.

In the home console space you still have the same thing with first party studios not being replaceable, but you also have other things to contend with like the necessity of having your phone accessible and not stuck in some sort of dock or whatever else it takes to have a decent enough experience.

Some things can't be replaced or integrated, and if all this technology is going to be X, Y and Z possible I think it just means that consoles will use that tech in their consoles - especially Nintendo's.
Nintendo is a small company, and I’m not convinced if their long-term survival given that they’re a one dimensional company (the products it offers), so they’re always a couple of mistakes away from disaster.

Secondly, you can use your phone at the same time as you cast to a TV. Almost all constraints are solved with enough time and technical advancements and the next 10 years are going to be incredible in the semi-conductor space, making the impossible, possible.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Nintendo is a small company, and I’m not convinced if their long-term survival given that they’re a one dimensional company (the products it offers), so they’re always a couple of mistakes away from disaster.
Hot Take GIF by Retro Future E-Girl

If there's a company that isn't in danger any time soon, it's Nintendo.
Secondly, you can use your phone at the same time as you cast to a TV. Almost all constraints are solved with enough time and technical advancements and the next 10 years are going to be incredible in the semi-conductor space, making the impossible, possible.
10 years is a long time in tech, but that depends on:
  • Wireless data transmission being of acceptably high quality
  • Storage on these phones being high enough to hold games as well as all the things phones normally hold
  • All of this with a low enough entry cost to appeal to the mass market
  • People to want iPhones enough to switch away from Android
I don't see iPhone being the platform for these and more reasons, and it also assumes that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are going to lose the fight without adapting in some way. To me that sounds more like a dream than something that is actually going to happen.

Switch alone proves that it's about the software, not the hardware. And don't forget the fact that many sales are going to children that don't have phones. What parent is going to buy their 8 year old a £1000 2033 iPhone when they can buy a 2033 Switch for £300?

What's more likely is that consoles get a bit smaller with new features and hopefully better battery life.

T-Cake

I'd like to see the iPhone streamed to an Apple TV so that solves the issue of small screen size...

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

The Portal is for people who… uh… already own a PS5 and can use it on a big TV anytime. And he’s the one using terrible logic?

I don know what you meant here, but this is the funniest thing I’ll see all week :pie_roffles:

Anyway, I expected the answer to the thread title to be “magic”.

The better question is who the heck would play this on Iphone. Seems like a small audiance that wouldn't have a console/pc and willing to pay full price for the game.

Last edited:

ArtHands

The Portal is for people who… uh… already own a PS5 and can use it on a big TV anytime. And he’s the one using terrible logic?

I don know what you meant here, but this is the funniest thing I’ll see all week :pie_roffles:

Anyway, I expected the answer to the thread title to be “magic”.

A phone is for everyone who use a phone. So yes.

ArtHands

What? people are free to game anywhere they fucking want, I'm just saying in opinion phone is not the place I personally to play games like Resident Evil.

"gatekeeping" what the fuck is that even mean? Am I actively keeping people from playing their games on phone?

I mean if you're not interested, then why are you even in here?

Last edited:

Comandr

1eI6268.png

Disclaimer: I am on beta IOS software and for me, the game has crashed several times. I have watched a number of other videos and heard impressions and no one mentions the crashing - therefore I believe this to be an environmental issue related to my beta software, and don't judge the game or capcpom for it.

Update: I have set the resolution to 2340x1080. Metal upscaling to Performance, reduced ambient volumetric lighting to low, and shadows to medium. All other settings are set to high.. My phone has cooled now that it isn't fast charging to 80%. Phone is still slightly warm right by the processor near the camera. Would guess 37-42c. I'm letting it sit to see if it warms up. 15 minutes now in an area with a lot of stuff going on- shadows, geometry, godrays, etc. Haven't noticed any meaningful increase in temperature. Performance is unlocked - I would probably recommend finding your desired fidelity level and locking the frame rate. While it certainly can go well over 60 in my experience - ofc I have no way of measuring the actual framerate, but I can tell you its over 60 - it seems to fluctuate heavily based on what's going on on screen. For a real deep dive into the analytics we would need someone like DF. For my primitive cave man impressions - I'm impressed. The next test I will do is a battery drain test. See how long it takes to kill it from full.

I am impressed that we have full access to all typical PC options. I love the control we have to tailor the experience. That bodes well for the future.

I think this is a monumental first step that can't be understated. For a fanless device to be able to push fidelity like this is incredible.

Last edited:

Shakka43

The company is way over a 100 years old, I think they will survive just fine long term speaking.

Comandr

1eI6268.png

Disclaimer: I am on beta IOS software and for me, the game has crashed several times. I have watched a number of other videos and heard impressions and no one mentions the crashing - therefore I believe this to be an environmental issue related to my beta software, and don't judge the game or capcpom for it.

Update: I have set the resolution to 2340x1080. Metal upscaling to Performance, reduced ambient volumetric lighting to low, and shadows to medium. All other settings are set to high.. My phone has cooled now that it isn't fast charging to 80%. Phone is still slightly warm right by the processor near the camera. Would guess 37-42c. I'm letting it sit to see if it warms up. 15 minutes now in an area with a lot of stuff going on- shadows, geometry, godrays, etc. Haven't noticed any meaningful increase in temperature. Performance is unlocked - I would probably recommend finding your desired fidelity level and locking the frame rate. While it certainly can go well over 60 in my experience - ofc I have no way of measuring the actual framerate, but I can tell you its over 60 - it seems to fluctuate heavily based on what's going on on screen. For a real deep dive into the analytics we would need someone like DF. For my primitive cave man impressions - I'm impressed. The next test I will do is a battery drain test. See how long it takes to kill it from full.

I am impressed that we have full access to all typical PC options. I love the control we have to tailor the experience. That bodes well for the future.

I think this is a monumental first step that can't be understated. For a fanless device to be able to push fidelity like this is incredible.
R82h4md.jpg

2796x1290 resolution. Maximum settings. Quality mode. Held this location for two hours. Battery went from 100% to 61%. Temperature around 44c. Wifi on. 5G cellular on. Brightness and volume at medium.

The A17 Pro is a fucking monster, and in less than two hours, Apple is going to show off chips with even more potential.

Bonus! 2796x1290 is 98% of the pixel density of 1440p. Doesn't that seem excessive for a 6.7in screen? Makes you wonder just how much you could squeeze out if you turned the settings down to something reasonable for a phone.

Maybe I'll charge back up and do another test at "reasonable" settings to compare.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I really don't think there's a real market for this.
People just don't want to play controller based games on a phone.

The "casual" audience hates controllers. And the "core" audience already has a dedicated device that provides a far better experience which doesn't burn the battery/storage of the phone.

And most of all; nobody on mobile actually buys games anymore.
Imagine paying full price for mobile games. Are they even gonna be day and date?
Are developers actually gonna dedicate resources towards another platform when most dev teams can't even get a polished game?
Not at all.

It's gonna be GAAS microtransaction nonsense or bust.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
The company is way over a 100 years old, I think they will survive just fine long term speaking.
We’ll see. They were close to disaster just a few short years ago, which is what happens when you’re not diversified (which they are attempting to fix). Prior success does not equate to future success for a company, or anyone, for that matter.

Top Bottom