• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus Subscribers Reportedly Flocking to Cancel Their Subscriptions

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
pDCsuMa.jpg

WHAT A LINE UP
Sexy Hot Girl GIF by Cappa Video Productions

Senua

If people canceling resulted in Sony lowering the psn sub price, then I would care. Otherwise, I'm just renewing at the lowest teir and keep it moving.

Every other sub has gone up in price, so Sony doing it isn't a surprise to me.
It's not a surprise, still sucks dick though

StereoVsn

IIRC you can back up your save failes, but only all saves at once and not individual ones.

To back up PS5 console data to a USB drive

• Connect a USB drive to your PS5 console.
  • USB drives formatted with FAT or exFAT are supported.
  • Go to the Home screen and select Settings > System.
  • Select System Software > Backup and Restore > Create PS5 backup data.
  • If multiple USB drives are connected, select the USB drive where you want to save your backup data.
  • Select the individual data you want to backup, and then select Next.
  • The file name and size will be displayed. If necessary, enter a description of the backup data.
  • Select Backup.
  • The console restarts and the backup begins.
  • You will see a screen with the message Backup Completed. Your PS5 console will restart. Select OK.
  • The console will restart again and you will return to the Home screen.

But still, wouldn't be too complicated to just offer usb backups à la PS4
Thought that backs up games as well?

Fox Mulder

Yeah I was going to cancel premium. They aren’t even adding anything and bumping down to essential for $80 a year or $9.99 a month just for multiplayer is still shit.

Last edited:

Rayderism

Sony really needs to justify the price increase. As far as I know, the only thing that's going to be added is the ability to stream PS5 games after the new firmware goes public, and that's locked to the Premium tier. Most people don't give a damn about streaming games.

Corporate form-letter BS explanations that basically say, "because we can" is not enough. We need to see something significant added to PS+ that the gamers will accept to validate the increase. It's just unfortunate that "because we can" will likely be the only thing we'll actually get.

Greedflation is real.

Kupfer

Thought that backs up games as well?
I just tried it out. During the process you can deselect "Games and Apps" (592gb for me) and "Screenshots and Clips" (5.36gb), leaving only "Save Data" (15gb).

How and if the restore works well I can't say. Either way a super cumbersome thing to do if you wanted to do it every week.

StereoVsn

Yeaj
I just tried it out. During the process you can deselect "Games and Apps" (592gb for me) and "Screenshots and Clips" (5.36gb), leaving only "Save Data" (15gb).

How and if the restore works well I can't say. Either way a super cumbersome thing to do if you wanted to do it every week.
Yeah, I would want daily saves. It's kind of ridiculous.

AGRacing

I was on Premium from getting a discounted mid-subscription upgrade (paid 20 something?). This price increase triggered a re-evaluation. I don't play online games that aren't online ONLY.. and so I don't need it and just don't want to play it. I'm a big "classic Sony" guy so a Premium tier done properly could have grabbed me. They are nowhere near that.

Honestly... I am just not interested. This holiday my money is going to go to Nintendo stuff to play with my son.. and I'll just play Starfield and Forza for myself. When I am told there's a PS5 Pro coming in the fall I wonder why I even bought this thing, frankly. I did have some fun with Gran Turismo. I guess I'd be happier if I was a big spider man fan.

I miss my PS2, PSP and late PS3 Sony.
Sad Season 2 GIF by Friends

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Sony really needs to justify the price increase. As far as I know, the only thing that's going to be added is the ability to stream PS5 games after the new firmware goes public, and that's locked to the Premium tier. Most people don't give a damn about streaming games.

Corporate form-letter BS explanations that basically say, "because we can" is not enough. We need to see something significant added to PS+ that the gamers will accept to validate the increase. It's just unfortunate that "because we can" will likely be the only thing we'll actually get.

Greedflation is real.

Well they won’t, whats with the record sales and everything. Likely another hike around 7 years later

marvifrom

Even though I am against the price increase, if you do the math it only boils down to $6.67 a month as opposed to the previous $5 a month we are used to with the 12 Month membership. its only a $1.60 more each month, we are only focusing on how much larger the $80 seems yearly as opposed to how minuscule the increase actually is, on Sonys part tho, this is a really poor way to market the increase they should have buttered our biscuits by just saying the 12 month subscription is increasing by a $1.60 a month.

Fox Mulder

Even though I am against the price increase, if you do the math it only boils down to $6.67 a month as opposed to the previous $5 a month we are used to with the 12 Month membership. its only a $1.60 more each month, we are only focusing on how much larger the $80 seems yearly as opposed to how minuscule the increase actually is, on Sonys part tho, this is a really poor way to market the increase they should have buttered our biscuits by just saying the 12 month subscription is increasing by a $1.60 a month.

They haven’t done anything to justify the increase so $40 extra a year for premium grabs headlines. Everything is going up in price and people already have like 10 streaming services these days. Made me reevaluate how little I actually use PS+.

Sony is king of single player games, so people can just say fuck ps+ and still be fine with great games.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Seems like very earlier since the launch for a big price increase. Sure feels like this will lose them more than it gains. People are creatures of habit, get them.more hooked/used to having befire you pull this......

Drizzlehell

Banned
Ah screw it, I've decided to bite the bullet and upgraded to annual plan while it was still at the old price. It will probably be the last time that I'm doing this, though.

I'm still using the basic functions provided by the service on a regular basis, and I will usually pick up a game from the premium catalog whenever I have nothing else to play or am undecided about buying it, so it will probably save me some cash in the long run anyway. But unless the price drops to where it was before, I definitely won't renew it next year. The new price is just way too much.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Ah screw it, I've decided to bite the bullet and upgraded to annual plan while it was still at the old price. It will probably be the last time that I'm doing this, though.

I'm still using the basic functions provided by the service on a regular basis, and I will usually pick up a game from the premium catalog whenever I have nothing else to play or am undecided about buying it, so it will probably save me some cash in the long run anyway. But unless the price drops to where it was before, I definitely won't renew it next year. The new price is just way too much.
My family never know what to get me for Christmas because I always get what I want when I want with my own cash, so we have a deal that basically they just get me a year sub to PS+ so I've always been an annual sub

Now I just cover the difference for premium if I get it or not. And honestly for me personally so far it's paid off, I find the older but bigger AAA titles that I never got around to buying like lost judgement more playable than competing subs that has newer indie or AA games that I kinda just drop off after an hour or two.

But we'll see this Christmas if I do the same thing or not

Last edited:

Kupfer

B....but ...

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to cancel mine, lol. I already downgraded months ago but this made me rethink if there's actually anything that this subscription is in any way useful to me. And the answer is nope. Not for that price, at least. I could've kept the basic plan for some occasional minor convenience of cloud saves or monthly games that I didn't own yet, but this is just ridiculous.

Waking Up Ugh GIF by Bounce

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
I wouldn’t be surprise if the subscribers increase.
Yeah. And even if subscriber base would decrease a little bit, Sony would still be happy, because they will
A: Make same amount of money from less subscribers
B: Make more money because the increase of sub price will compensate loss of few subscribers

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Online gaming on consoles should be free.

Not "free", but free.

One of the greatest long running scams in the industry.

I totally disagree with you. But online gaming only should be extremely cheap. Like there should by a $2.99 a month option if that's all you need.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Don't want to make a new topic for this so just posting in the last similar one.

PS Plus Premium users are taking to gaming forums and social media to vent their frustration over a “weak” September 2023 lineup. The most expensive tier of PS Plus received four classics, three out of which were Star Ocean games.

Long time subscriber here (since PS Plus started) and long time fan of Sony (since PlayStation 1). It took this generation alone (kind of because PS4 did its share too) to make me a PC Player, I don't know what is happening on Sony side or is just me that changed but it looks like Sony is not a Japanese company anymore.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Long time subscriber here (since PS Plus started) and long time fan of Sony (since PlayStation 1). It took this generation alone (kind of because PS4 did its share too) to make me a PC Player, I don't know what is happening on Sony side or is just me that changed but it looks like Sony is not a Japanese company anymore.
They aren’t. It’s really sad. There was no need for them to voluntarily concede their heritage.

I hope Nintendo never follow suit.

I’ve always had a PS since the PS2, sold my PS5 earlier this year and have no regrets at all. I just need to buy a handheld PC in a few years for Elden Ring 2.

StereoVsn

ReBurn

Gold Member
I never play multiplayer and the PS plus and ultimate games suck anyway compared to what microsoft offers with GPU. So I canceled auto renewal and I‘m slowly but surely will become a PC player.
I think I'm going to migrate to mainly PC gaming as well. I'll probably always have a PlayStation for single player first party games, but PC is just more the way to go.

It's highly doubtful some vocal people cancelling has any real effect on the bottom line. Taken at the highest level, the $40 price hike on Premium, that's still just barely over half the price of a full MSRP title per year. There is so much available in the Extra/Premium catalog plus the free essential games every month, that most gamers would be hard pressed to run out of titles to play if they never bought a game.

The greater value of Plus isn't really the free games or the catalog IMO, but the extensive discounts on games awarded to members.

As a PS only gamer, I think this price hike really sucks. But I'm also paid up until October 2026. And paying full MSRP for services like Plus, Gamepass, etc is a suckers game honestly. I paid the full price for Plus once--the first time I got it in 2010, and even then I got 15 months instead of 12. Every renewal I've done has been at a significant discount. When the PS4 launched and Sony was letting entire years of Plus go for $30 I bought two subs a week for the entire month it was going on, getting me to 2020. Since then I've renewed at steep discounts--usually $30 to $40 since the initial increase to $60. Upgraded to Premium at the 33% discount. And I won't be stacking any subs that aren't significantly discounted either. Retail is a sucker's game.

All of this said, the simple fact of the matter is that the world economy is in the shitter and I can't get out of the grocery store without spending almost $50 more per week than I was 18 months ago. So while this price hike sucks, it's not at all unexpected and I'll just wait for sales and deals to extend any further, or downgrade if I feel the need.

It's highly doubtful some vocal people cancelling has any real effect on the bottom line. Taken at the highest level, the $40 price hike on Premium, that's still just barely over half the price of a full MSRP title per year. There is so much available in the Extra/Premium catalog plus the free essential games every month, that most gamers would be hard pressed to run out of titles to play if they never bought a game.

The greater value of Plus isn't really the free games or the catalog IMO, but the extensive discounts on games awarded to members.

As a PS only gamer, I think this price hike really sucks. But I'm also paid up until October 2026. And paying full MSRP for services like Plus, Gamepass, etc is a suckers game honestly. I paid the full price for Plus once--the first time I got it in 2010, and even then I got 15 months instead of 12. Every renewal I've done has been at a significant discount. When the PS4 launched and Sony was letting entire years of Plus go for $30 I bought two subs a week for the entire month it was going on, getting me to 2020. Since then I've renewed at steep discounts--usually $30 to $40 since the initial increase to $60. Upgraded to Premium at the 33% discount. And I won't be stacking any subs that aren't significantly discounted either. Retail is a sucker's game.

All of this said, the simple fact of the matter is that the world economy is in the shitter and I can't get out of the grocery store without spending almost $50 more per week than I was 18 months ago. So while this price hike sucks, it's not at all unexpected and I'll just wait for sales and deals to extend any further, or downgrade if I feel the need.
I mean...even if they lose like 5M subscribers, when you increase all the tiers in price by 33% you still win quite a lot more money in the end. Doesn't make this a good move though.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Don't want to make a new topic for this so just posting in the last similar one.

ezgif-1-a8c6cfc5afujiy9.gif

Draugoth Draugoth my man, this is all you :p

Mods told me this post is sufficient.

manyks-humorfortukey.gif

I agree, unless we actually see people organizing for a mass boycot it's just a baseless report by playstationlifestyle

Gamerguy84

I'm premium until 2025 but after I'll drop it one tier. Not because of money but I don't ever play any classics like I thought I would.

AGRacing

I canceled Premium renewal (It ends Oct 6) and have no plans to jump in at any tier. I haven't had a need for multi-player games that aren't multi-player only... and I haven't been playing the free games for the most part. The increase absolutely triggered the re evaluation of my usage of the service.

Important to note that this will be the first time I won't be subscribed to some form of plus since it began on PS3.

Also .. last year I did the gold conversion to game pass and have that through 2025. That's enough subscription content for me for the time being.

nick776

I bought my PS5 last September, and I certainly regret it (also have Switch and Series X). This article really puts things in perspective, it has been TWO years since the last first party game was announced. That is totally unacceptable no matter how you view the matter. Like most, I fear that the reason is due to the entire GaaS movement. Nobody wants GaaS, NOBODY. https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/17/its-...ounced-a-new-single-player-ps5-game-19508551/

Top Bottom