• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus is increasing its pricing globally starting September 6th

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Do some of you people expect these services to stay at the same price forever? Do you think providing these services cost nothing, and that the cost never increases?
Yo, stop the fucking meatriding.

Maybe basic services like online play and cloud saves shouldn't cost ANY money? when people already pay monthly for internet? I don't give a shit if Xbox did it first or whatever, it's still a SHIT practice.

xrnzaaas

Not true, i had my XSX for almost 3 years (meaning, didn't use/pay for PSN services/didn't have a PS) , jumped in few months ago again and my PS4 cloud saves were still there.

Cheers
Maybe their policy has changed when they changed the cloud size, dunno. I definitely remember reading about losing saves after several months of not having the sub. Was your account also inactive during that time (meaning no logins from any device including PC/phone browser)?

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Gonna bet that this will be over by tomorrow, things go back to normal while everyone accept the price increase

King Dazzar

the fact that the PS5 console doesn't allow backing up saves on a USB drive for PS5 games
My understanding is that this is now doable. Or at least I believe I've been backing up my save files of PS5 games for quite some time now when doing my USB backups.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Maybe their policy has changed when they changed the cloud size, dunno. I definitely remember reading about losing saves after several months of not having the sub. Was your account also inactive during that time (meaning no logins from any device including PC/phone browser)?

Hey Xmz, I must have logged once or twice into my PSN account from my PC during the 3 year span that I didn't have a PlayStation.

Don't know if that has anything to do with it but yeah, my PS4 cloud saves were - again - intact.

Cheers

unlurkified

I really hope there ends up being a critical mass of backlash that causes them to walk it back like MS had to when they tried to raise XBL Gold to $120 several times. I doubt it though because Sony’s leading by a lot.

ProtoByte

Yo, stop the fucking meatriding.
Knowledge of business costs and communication of those things to the unaware is not meatriding.
Maybe basic services like online play and cloud saves shouldn't cost ANY money?
Based on what? You must think it doesn't cost any money to provide those things.

when people already pay monthly for internet? I don't give a shit if Xbox did it first or whatever, it's still a SHIT practice.
Maybe gas shouldn't cost anything because people already pay for cars.

Lupin25

I doubt the essential tier will see a massive decrease with it required to access online servers.

However, Sony will certainly have to justify this “late-game change” in a future presentation with a vastly better offering for the higher tiers. Especially for PS2/PS1 titles because the premium tier is highway robbery at this point. It can’t just be about inflation or better cloud computing & architecture.

Maybe Sony’s ulterior motive is to destroy the subscription game 🤔, because at the moment… subs have seemingly capped out and that residual gain has plateaued since the end of the pandemic.

It seems for Sony and subscriptions, It’s all about added revenue now and purging consumers for the most they can squeeze out of them.

Elios83

It sucks for the price increase but people will go on like they went on for many other price increases.
I think that Sony has understood that subscriptions have plateaued. With costs rising and little growth opportunities past 50m this is the result.
It will be interesting to see if this will have a positive impact on the quality of games and future features like PS5 streaming in 4k.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Based on what? You must think it doesn't cost any money to provide those things.
based on Steam, which has far more online infrastructure than all 3 consoles combined. and yet online play is free because it doesnt cost valve money for EA to host their servers. cloud saves dont cost money because the cost of hosting some 129kb txt files on a server is negligible.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Oh wow. I didn't realize USB saves aren't possible on PS5?(i only have PS4 Pro currently ). Damn.
PS5 cant do USB saves? Weird. You could do USB saves even on 360 way back.

The system must have an architecture issue. Or my memory faintly remembers something about not allowing it to prevent hackers from uploading mods and such. who knows.

omg it really is happening, isn't it? Sony going all in on Gaas games like Horizon Online, so raising the price of a required subscription was inevitable.
Season 4 Crying GIF by The Simpsons

dotnotbot

Cancelled my essential subscription last night. I don't play multiplayer games at all and the free monthly games have been shit for as long as I can remember.

You could argue they aren't worth the price but I feel like saying they were shit recently is dishonest, some games I added to my library in the last months:
- Alan Wake Remastered
- Sackboy
- Dreams
- Death's Door
- Mafia Definitive Ed
- Star War Jedi Fallen Order
- Mass Effect Legendary Ed (December 22)
- COD Cold War

ps-plus-2023-essential-games-mid-year-review-which-was-your-v0-gmhdaf4bcs7b1.png

54c335c19622a56343cd487790a3886b09815dc4.jpg

dfe9b096763b7cf9c19315bcfb12049e39d13553.png

Last edited:
You could argue they aren't worth the price but I feel like saying they were shit recently is dishonest, some games I added to my library in the last months:
- Alan Wake Remastered
- Sackboy
- Dreams
- Death's Door
- Mafia Definitive Ed
- Star War Jedi Fallen Order
- Mass Effect Legendary Ed (December 22)
- COD Cold War

ps-plus-2023-essential-games-mid-year-review-which-was-your-v0-gmhdaf4bcs7b1.png

54c335c19622a56343cd487790a3886b09815dc4.jpg

dfe9b096763b7cf9c19315bcfb12049e39d13553.png

I think the problem is there’s a lot of overlap with GamePass and the latter is a better value with first party games included. PS plus just feels redundant and now overpriced as well

So if one service is going to get cancelled for me, it’s more likely to be PS Plus

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Cancelled my membership in part because I realized I barely use online shit anyway on my PS5 except for Destiny... which is F2P anyway.

Fuck off, Sony.
Does that include all of the new expansions too (it bring f2p online, not the actual games)? If so, that’s even easier to decide

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cancelled my membership in part because I realized I barely use online shit anyway on my PS5 except for Destiny... which is F2P anyway.

Fuck off, Sony.
The fee boost isn’t targeted to you. It’s aimed at MP gamers who will pay anything and aren’t the types to go PC free online gaming.

Sony has around 10 GAAS games coming and probably some of them will be F2P too. And by the sounds of it they will come to PC too.

So the fee increase is to support the server load and get extra revenue from the MP crowd who will be tempted to stick around for the new GAAS games.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think Sony will get to where their first party ip is included day one but they are doing the intelligent way of making it happen.

Keep increase prices until their users demand they add first party games. Then when they do it, it feels like they made the decision.

Psychology is a crazy thing.

Don't ever tell a consumer your doing something...make them feel like they got there on their own.

Last edited:
- Increased the price of the PS5 console
- Increased the price of games to $70US
- Pro controller for $220US
- VR Headset for the price of a console. Hardly any support of the device with must-have AAA games.
- Limited remote play device for $200US
- Massive spending and push into GAAS. I believe they're spending more on GAAS than traditional gaming.
- Hardly any first party games in 2023
- An incoming new PS5 model which will separate the console from the disc drive which will inevitably push more people towards digital only and further bring on the future of a Sony-only walled garden PS store that will be the only place where we can buy games.

& now we have a big price increase for the subscriptions.

Arrogant Sony is back.
Sounds like that but don’t forget that when everyone gets 15% salary raises because of battling the inflation now, the prices of goods must go up with them.

SSfox

Why? You don't need PS Plus to play on the PS5.

You need PS plus to play any game online. All the fighting games like SF6 and upcoming MK1 and T8, the upcoming Monster Hunter (can you imagine play play MH full offline? Lmao rofl), GTA6 will release with online mode that you can't try as well, you can't play Coop PVP in next Fromsoftware games also on PS5, but it will be free on PC, and so on. Not having online access on all those games and others it's literally like having access to some an not full portion of a game you bought at full price, how can anyone can defend this?

You don't have to pay anything on PC beside the game price, in PS5 you have to buy the game and the 80$ minimum price just to play online

If you already have a good PC there is no reason to buy a PS5 at this point, except the full Solo games like FF16

Last edited:
Top Bottom