• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony on PS Plus Price Increase: We Want to Make PlayStation Plus Great

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Make Ps Plus great again? Really? It sucks now compared to gamepass. If they did day one games I'd pay more than gamepass and like it. But they don't it is old shit I already bought at full price. It has value for people who skip a gen and dont have gaming PCs.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The problem with subscriptions is that once the price gets too high it doesn’t make sense anymore. Sony is approaching that very quickly

StereoVsn

My premium (PS Now conversion) is running out soon and I am converting down to the base. The only reason I would even have that is for cloud saves and very occasional kids MP stuff.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I don't think of games same as movies. Especially when they are online based like destiny and call of duty. I don't like the idea of subbing for a year. And I own more than 1000 games on PC between steam epic and gog.

I like the idea of just installing whatever game I wanna play without having the worry of subbing to play.

When it comes to consoles ? I don't even buy online gsmes. All physical.

Yesterday I wanted to play Yakuza zero. Guesd what ? Just downloaded and started playing. Bought that game for 3$.

Maybe this will change hen gsmepass release a big game every month or at least 2 months with their huge studio library now and include gsmes like call of duty then yeah maybe.

But a game or 2 per year that considered big ? I'll just sub for that month and be done with it.

Sony will never get my money. I don't support pay to play online system ( didn't with the Xbox either ) .

Same gsme is free to play on PC . Why you charging me on consoles even though I have to to through the hassle of making an account on your psn or Xbox server just to login ? Its not like I am using Sony server to play cod. Just a ripp off practice and people are like goats.

You must replay a lot of games, for like 80% of what I play I never play it again. Fir the other 20%, I will buy them right away or wait until way later and get them cheap.

As to pc vs console online paying, most console gamers are not like you, they have just one or 2 consoles and no pc so they must pay to be online, and sony and ms know this and have no reason to change.

tusharngf

They are not charging the same amount though, and they are offering more benefits.
  • PS+ Premium: $160 per year.
  • Game Pass Ultimate: $204 per year.
GPU is 27.5% more expensive than PS Plus.
  • PS+ also offers more games every month,
  • Including retro games that GPU doesn't,
  • Cloud streaming your own library that GPU doesn't,
  • Bravia Core movies that GPU doesn't.
The only disadvantage of PS+ vs. GPU is that PS+ does not offer first-party day-one games. But considering the quantity and quality of Xbox games, I personally do not think it is that big of a disadvantage, but others will have a different opinion on it, of course.

But, comparatively, PS+ does offer more at a lesser price.
You get AAA titles on day1 compared to old games on ps plus

FeralEcho

Seriously, it can't be real. It's a definitely made-up interview...

😂😂
All these execs and higher ups during the entirety of this generation so far have been on some next level shit with the things they say in interviews

Chris Tucker Smoking GIF

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This is true, especially without first party day and date games.
Agreed. If they did the same as ms it wouldn’t even be a discussion about its value.

I’ve been with ps+ since day 1 and gotten decent value from it. I canceled my sub at the last increase as I just said enough was enough. I’m already paying for game pass unlimited right now too and my uncle gave me his old computer so it made sense to make the shift. I don’t consider myself a “whale” by any means as I only spend $500 ish a year on games so I’m probably small potatoes but the current choices they have made pushed not just off plus but out of their entire ecosystem. I won’t be buying psvr2 anymore and I’ll probably stay on pc with game pass.

aclar00

Honeslty, just give me an even cheaper base tier with online play only for like $30-40 a year. I dont give a rats ass about 95% of the monthly games and even if i did, i dont have much time for them. I just click "add to library" and then they are forgotten about.

Last edited:
Makes sense. I remember some fanboys on Twitter were saying that games feel better if you pay for them full price and more. So by increasing PS+ price, the subscription will feel better.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

He should've said it was due to inflation.

This just makes me wonder why I keep paying for Plus, because all these services suck.
Outside of online multiplayer, I see absolutely zero reason to subscribe to any gaming service.

Might as well just stick to f2p titles in between major singleplayer releases that interest me.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

You must replay a lot of games, for like 80% of what I play I never play it again. Fir the other 20%, I will buy them right away or wait until way later and get them cheap.

As to pc vs console online paying, most console gamers are not like you, they have just one or 2 consoles and no pc so they must pay to be online, and sony and ms know this and have no reason to change.
More like I don't finish the games. I get distracted. So thats why i would like to keep them with cloud saves if possible ( which rule the consoles out because you have to pay to have cloud 4kb of data saved. apparently this is too much for sony and MS to handle ( at least I think MS you can do that without having to pay but not sure anymore))

Some games like Forza Motorsport or GT7 or COD or Destiny ( not so much anymore ) I play all the time. some games I like to play again, FFX for example i finished it 4 times since it was released on PS2, Metal Gear Rising 3 times. Lots of games I have very fond memories of and I keep coming back to them.

Extreme G racing, F zero, stuff like that.

I really do not play the fanboy stuff. If there are games I like, I buy it. I am very much against the pay to play online. regardless if its xbox or PS. its just a rip off. Gamepass has its value. but not the value that makes me want to spend 260$ CAD after tax per year. the amount of games I want to buy / play from their store doesn't equal this value. how many games I wanted this year for example ? 2 ? starfield and Forza ? thats 200$ brand new with tax ( i got starfield for free with my cpu and forza for 70$ tax included on PC/xbox ) . before that was only Forza Horizon 5 ?

Once Xbox output lots of good games. then year it will be worth it. as its stand now ? not to me ( I am sure many dissagree though as they like to try games and stuff. but as a 42 years old with kids, I am limited to the number of games I want to play lol.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Give more reasons why it's worth paying more ahead of time. Right now it's just a, "It's gonna be better, we promise it'll be worth it" kind of thing. Nah, it'd be nice to see some proof though.

SenkiDala

Make Ps Plus great again? Really? It sucks now compared to gamepass. If they did day one games I'd pay more than gamepass and like it. But they don't it is old shit I already bought at full price. It has value for people who skip a gen and dont have gaming PCs.
Worst : when they finally ad a 1st party PS5 game, it'll just be available on the service for a couple of months... Useless.

If they don't improve drastically the service by June 2023, time of the end of my sub, I won't renew at that price.

OuterLimits

I still find it hilarious that right after announcing the huge PS+ increase, the monthly game offered was the turd Saints Row. In fact most games offered in the last couple months have Metacritic scores in the 60s to low 70s. Thanks Sony, you are really making it "great".

I still find it hilarious that right after announcing the huge PS+ increase, the monthly game offered was the turd Saints Row. In fact most games offered in the last couple months have Metacritic scores in the 60s to low 70s. Thanks Sony, you are really making it "great".

It has nothing to do with improving the service, and everything to do with raising the price because that's what it costs now for content and it's eating into their bottom line

what they fail to understand is the effect of cancellations and what that will do to their bottom line. they assume (wrongly) that the audience is sticky

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
- you will put Spiderman 2 on the catalog?
- someday
- like when?
- maybe by the end of next year. That's how great we are

Damigos

Day 1 releases like GamePass does would kill game sales for their exclusives over time. MS has the money to attempt a huge loss leading strategy trying to essentially destroy other’s business model with something unsustainable before raising prices once they have a de facto monopoly, the other companies in the gaming world do not.

They need to justify value some other way. Maybe you get early access to games (which you keep if you buy the game), maybe something else… I am not their business development person so it is not my job to figure it out :D.
Personally it wont affect me either way as i am stacked until 2032. But still, doing a price increase without adding value sucks. We just have to wait and see i guess and then vote with our wallets

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
More like I don't finish the games. I get distracted. So thats why i would like to keep them with cloud saves if possible ( which rule the consoles out because you have to pay to have cloud 4kb of data saved. apparently this is too much for sony and MS to handle ( at least I think MS you can do that without having to pay but not sure anymore))

Some games like Forza Motorsport or GT7 or COD or Destiny ( not so much anymore ) I play all the time. some games I like to play again, FFX for example i finished it 4 times since it was released on PS2, Metal Gear Rising 3 times. Lots of games I have very fond memories of and I keep coming back to them.

Extreme G racing, F zero, stuff like that.

I really do not play the fanboy stuff. If there are games I like, I buy it. I am very much against the pay to play online. regardless if its xbox or PS. its just a rip off. Gamepass has its value. but not the value that makes me want to spend 260$ CAD after tax per year. the amount of games I want to buy / play from their store doesn't equal this value. how many games I wanted this year for example ? 2 ? starfield and Forza ? thats 200$ brand new with tax ( i got starfield for free with my cpu and forza for 70$ tax included on PC/xbox ) . before that was only Forza Horizon 5 ?

Once Xbox output lots of good games. then year it will be worth it. as its stand now ? not to me ( I am sure many dissagree though as they like to try games and stuff. but as a 42 years old with kids, I am limited to the number of games I want to play lol.

I suppose it may depend on how up to date you are too, I find lots of value in Gamepass because yes, I get the AAA ms stuff, but there aways seems to be a game or 2 every month that I want as well. (this month that would be dead space) Those add up for me. I also get to try a ton of other stuff that I would never of tried, and that has some value to me as well.

NT80

I only got PSN for online play but the price has skyrocketed in the space of about 2 years. Back then I could get it for around £30 or less for a year and now it's about double that. No way I'm keeping up with that. I'll play anything online on PC from now on.

Honeslty, just give me an even cheaper base tier with online play only for like $30-40 a year. I dont give a rats ass about 95% of the monthly games and even if i did, i dont have much time for them. I just click "add to library" and then they are forgotten about.

This is what Nintendo does and it's great. The base subscription which gets you online play, the base retro games, and occasional exclusive like F-Zero 99 is negligible cost, like $20 a year.

Personally it wont affect me either way as i am stacked until 2032. But still, doing a price increase without adding value sucks. We just have to wait and see i guess and then vote with our wallets

They've added Sony pictures core and PS5 game streaming. Whether that's value to you or not is up for debate, but it isn't true to say they haven't added value.

The catalogue also contains Ratchet, Horizon: FW and others over the previous year. Thats also added value. In the year they've also added in some notable classics.

As time goes on the value gets greater.

People clamouring for day one AAA Sony games are out of their minds. Spiderman 2 sold 2.5 million copies on day one. Sony won't turn down that revenue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom