• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 is fully stocked for first time and on track for record sales this year, top Sony exec says

aclar00

Eric had come a long way from being the PS3 firmware update guy. Who says you can't move up and become a corporate shill! I kid, lets see what happens.

Three

Seems like they've been fully stocked for a minute. I doubt we would have seen the $50 discount and the free game bundle offer if they were still in short supply.
They are talking about that transition period. That was to clear stock of the old PS5s for the new ones. That sold out and caused temporary shortages in some places until the new one was announced and stocked at retailers.

To me the more interesting news is this:

"One-third of the PS Plus base have already opted for higher priced tiers since they were introduced, more than expected"

I guess their G&NS report might not be as bad as I expected.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
They’ll make that 25M
Jason Sudeikis Good Luck GIF by Apple TV+

Ain’t nothing stopping this train!

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This next fiscal year? If the switch 2 launches though.........
Like it was already said....and?

Please explain to us how the Switch effected PS4 or PS5 sales and how will the Switch 2 effect PS5 sales....

Both PS4 and PS5 had record breaking console sales after the Switch launched.

Ansphn

Yeah...records will be broken this holiday season. Wouldn't be surprised to see a big price drop on the old PS5 model, a Spiderman PS5 sku and the New Slim Sku and New Slim SKU PS5 with Spiderman.

DaGwaphics

They are talking about that transition period. That was to clear stock of the old PS5s for the new ones. That sold out and caused temporary shortages in some places until the new one was announced and stocked at retailers.

To me the more interesting news is this:

"One-third of the PS Plus base have already opted for higher priced tiers since they were introduced, more than expected"

I guess their G&NS report might not be as bad as I expected.

What stock is on shelves now? I thought that the "slim" hit Nov 10th, did they get those out early?

Three

What stock is on shelves now? I thought that the "slim" hit Nov 10th, did they get those out early?
No but the quote is referring to that period

"This holiday season is the first holiday season we will be fully stocked on PlayStation 5 in every geography," - Eric Lempel.

Maybe their other subsidiaries? Someone from SMEJ looks like a strong possibility.

That seems to be a requirement, yeah.

I think they will make whoever the person is live in California.

I think that is why Totoki is stepping in. Obviously, I'm speculating, but he is probably going to see how he can deal with Lempel. You look at Cerny and even he speaks Japanese.

It's a tough spot to be in. Bringing someone in from outside can push a lot of people out who won't like that, but promoting someone who might have communication issues with Sony's senior leadership team, might also have issues.

If you'll recall they had a non-Japanese speaking CEO and first non Japanese CEO of Sony in Howard Stringer and I think most would say it didn't pan out. Since then they've returned to all Japanese CEOs. They moved the SIE HQ from Japan to the US, but their leadership still has always spoken Japanese. There may be a diminished need for that now, but we'll see.

Now if only MS can follow in Sony's footsteps and solve their stock and shortages issues. Im sure their sales will skyrocket as competition is always good :p
Competition is always good best gen was 7th when everyone had a good piece of the pie also fuck Sega

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
We are getting close to the " Let's get this for the kids " part of the PS5 life cycle & Switch 2 will eat up a good part of that market.
I heard similar talk before the Switch dropped. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm not saying it's guaranteed either. That's why a wait-and-see approach is better.

onQ123

I heard similar talk before the Switch dropped. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm not saying it's guaranteed either. That's why a wait-and-see approach is better.
You sure? Because the talk around here was people questioning if Switch would even sell before it was released lol

What if the docked Switch 2 had similar or greater power than the S series and started receiving support from all third parties? What would happen to the business of Sony and Microsoft?

Taycan77

We are getting close to the " Let's get this for the kids " part of the PS5 life cycle & Switch 2 will eat up a good part of that market.
Switch was lightening in a bottle.

If I was Nintendo I'd be more concerned about having a smooth launch and transitioning users over to the new system. Switch was a success because it was portable, cheap and casual friendly. By their very definition these are gamers who aren't all that concerned with the latest tech and may not feel the need to upgrade.

PS5 on the other hand is the de facto console option for the FIFA/COD/Spider-Man crowd in Europe and the US. It's much more straightforward for Sony to build their userbase. The Slim and Pro aren't fraught with the same dangers Nintendo faces with Switch 2.

onQ123

Switch was lightening in a bottle.

If I was Nintendo I'd be more concerned about having a smooth launch and transitioning users over to the new system. Switch was a success because it was portable, cheap and casual friendly. By their very definition these are gamers who aren't all that concerned with the latest tech and may not feel the need to upgrade.

PS5 on the other hand is the de facto console option for the FIFA/COD/Spider-Man crowd in Europe and the US. It's much more straightforward for Sony to build their userbase. The Slim and Pro aren't fraught with the same dangers Nintendo faces with Switch 2.
Switch wasn't cheap lol

iamvin22

Industry Verified
took a picture of one (PS5 fat) at Bridgepointe Target (Foster City/Fashion Island/SF Bay Area) a week ago. Glad to see them finally in stock 3 years later, now that they're obsolete.

Oh shit, you live in the area?!?

I was hoping to see some spidey display at the hq last week.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Competition. Switch kicked the crap out of PS4. It wasn’t even close. The best selling PlayStation exclusive is barely Top 20 on Nintendo’s all-time list.
You really think PS4 sales suffered because of the Switch?

We have factual data where PS4 set sales records...after the Switch launched....same for PS5.

And what in the world does game sales have to do with this discussion?

You really think PS4 sales suffered because of the Switch?

We have factual data where PS4 set sales records...after the Switch launched....same for PS5.

And what in the world does game sales have to do with this discussion?

People are forgetting that the current Switch has first party titles that arr extremely successful. However that's not stopping the PS5 from doing great on the market.

vanillaFace

Neo Member
Oh shit, you live in the area?!?

I was hoping to see some spidey display at the hq last week.
I grew up here, moved to Las Vegas at some point, then to Reno, NV, then to Texas for 2 years... Texas was interesting. Not in the military, just trying to figure it all out, remote coder. Back at my parents in Belmont with my wife and kid lol before we head out to Reno, NV this Saturday where we'll hopefully stay for a while. Seeing the system in stock was like a rare pokemon sighting or something, I almost couldn't believe it.

Stocks arrived here just in time for me to ditch my Series S and buy a PS5 Disc + FC24 bundle for 498 euros.

1 week later, stocks were almost gone again and the same bundle went for 620....Crazy what low stocks do to the price.

I was just in time.

Hmmmm... They are lacking diversity.
That's why it's working. Hire the best people for the positions offered, not looking at skin color or where this person came from. Chairman is Japanese, there's some Americans, a Dutch guy etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom