• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony on PS Plus Price Increase: We Want to Make PlayStation Plus Great

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Well, in a new interview with Barron's, PlayStation exec Eric Lempel offers some degree of insight. To its credit, the publication asks Lempel directly about consumer criticism of the aforementioned price increase, to which he responds: "We want to make PlayStation Plus great. With our reboot last year and introducing the tier system, a lot of consumers have recognized that there’s a lot of value in PlayStation 5."

It's a bit of a nothing answer, but Lempel continues: "Like practically everything else in the world, we have to look at our pricing and we have to adjust to market conditions."

Lempel then goes on try and contextualise the decision: "I’m happy to say, unlike a lot of other subscription services out there, we haven’t touched the PlayStation Plus pricing for 85% of the world in many years. So, this was the first time we did something there." Hmmm.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Be greater. Together.

Lil Yachty Drake GIF by hamlet

Having endured the hassle of signing up for PS+ at launch, going through the trouble of creating an account in a different country, purchasing PSN cards, and initially loving it
Fuck you, Sony.
This shit just gets worse with each new generation that arrives.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I’ll be going back to essential when my premium sub expires. Too many games, too little time. Buying my games a la carte just makes more sense to me financially.
I have such a backlog sitting on the shelf that I have no idea what I'd do with a sub service of games lol. Just stuck with essential and bought the classics as they've come up though haven't gotten to most of those yet (put Army Men Air Attack on there Sony!)

//DEVIL//

I am not paying 100$ CAD to play online on a console. you can fuck off with that. I do not want your PS+ games either. Fuck you don't even own them. PaSsS.

oh and Xbox game pass can fuck off too. I only use that when there are like 2 high profile games I want to play, so i sub for a month or so to finish them and done. instead of paying 100$ per game, ill finish the 2 games for 20$ CAD, that works for me. then buy them down the road dirt cheap on PC.

GHound

Premium wasn't worth the price before the increase, isn't worth the price after the increase and I honestly don't know if they can make it worth it.
Oh and if they think adding movies is anything other than an insult then they can suck my balls. 😆

This just screams "damage control."

Last edited:

K' Dash

In layman's terms: well we thought we could get away with taking the piss, so we did.

you know, for anyone getting a PS5 for the first time this is a decent deal, you get a library with some great games and you don't have to spend much up front... but after a while it becomes useless. I usually buy what I want to play day 1 🤷‍♂️

King Dazzar

you know, for anyone getting a PS5 for the first time this is a decent deal, you get a library with some great games and you don't have to spend much up front... but after a while it becomes useless. I usually buy what I want to play day 1 🤷‍♂️
Sure. But reread what the SVP of marketing said. And then tell me its not repugnant, arrogant nonsense.

Three

"We want to make PlayStation Plus great. With our reboot last year and introducing the tier system, a lot of consumers have recognized that there’s a lot of value in PlayStation 5. Like practically everything else in the world, we have to look at our pricing and we have to adjust to market conditions. I’m happy to say, unlike a lot of other subscription services out there, we haven’t touched the PlayStation Plus pricing for 85% of the world in many years. So, this was the first time we did something there"

This is some grade A marketing talk stepping around the real reasons with some "we're great" nonsense . A translation from marketing trash to frank business reality would probably be:

"We plan to compete for content on our sub since relaunching last year, and need the money to do so. we saw our competitors charging these rates and increasing prices so we adjusted around 'the market'. we too would like greater revenue to remain competitive in the subscription space even if it means our subscriber counts getting lowered. that's why we've started to hide them"

Last edited:

Reallink

"We want to make PlayStation Plus great. With our reboot last year and introducing the tier system, a lot of consumers have recognized that there’s a lot of value in PlayStation 5. Like practically everything else in the world, we have to look at our pricing and we have to adjust to market conditions. I’m happy to say, unlike a lot of other subscription services out there, we haven’t touched the PlayStation Plus pricing for 85% of the world in many years. So, this was the first time we did something there"

This is some grade A marketing talk stepping around the real reasons with some "we're great" nonsense . A translation from marketing trash to frank business reality would probably be:

"We plan to compete for content on our sub since relaunching last year, and need the money to do so. we saw our competitors charging these rates and increasing prices so we adjusted around 'the market'. we too would like greater revenue to remain competitive in the subscription space even if it means our subscriber counts getting lowered. that's why we've started to hide them"

There's absolutely no reason to double speak their way around simply stating "the plan behind higher prices is to secure more or higher quality content", that's an objectively positive message no sane PR mouthpiece would try to spin their way around if there was even an ounce of truth behind it.

The real translation is the multinational megacorp oligopoly has decided price hikes are happening because they're having to pay armies to people high 6 figure salaries to pretend to work from home, highschool kids are making $20/hour at McDonald/Kroger, our bottom line has to perpetually go up and up and up, and we know you retards will pay it. Ergo, $160 PS Plus.

Last edited:

Reallink

Jimmy Fallon What GIF

...me two months ago when they actually raised the prices. I am kind of over it now.

Even with the Core to Ultimate conversion being cut in half, Gamepass is still literally 1/2 - 1/3rd the price of PS+ if you buy the annual Core cards at their perpetual sale prices. While MS's end goal is certainly to have everyone paying $20+/mo as the only option, we're not there yet and you'd be a fool not to abuse stacking as many $30-$40 Core cards as they allow and converting to Ultimate. Especially with the Activision's library on the horizon.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It sure has been great. Since the price increase took effect just after Labour Day, gamers with PS Premium got 100 old movies, including The Blob, 4 Godzilla movies, and Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning.

Last edited:
It sure has been great. Since the price increase took effect just after Labour Day, gamers with PS Premium got 100 old movies, including The Blob, 4 Godzilla movies, and Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning.

Wait, Van Damme and Lundgren were in this POS. Ok, C-grade movie night inbound with my son. Accent vs accent and muscle vs muscle baby.

Three

There's absolutely no reason to double speak their way around simply stating "the plan behind higher prices is to secure more or higher quality content", that's an objectively positive message no sane PR mouthpiece would try to spin their way around if there was even an ounce of truth behind it.
"More" or "higher quality" would be a quantifiable commitment. They just said "make PS+ better". They are not necessarily going to have more games in rotation or better quality than their first party back catalogue that they added over the year. That's why there is double speak. They will have increased expenses trying to compete for third party content though to maintain growth for the sub. If the competition is charging more per month with higher revenue they would have an even harder time. So "make PS+ better" means continue to secure content competitively. Not necessarily more or higher quality. The lower expense first party catalogue added over the first year is likely to be objectively higher quality than the third party (maybe even AA) stuff they're going to be bidding on for the sub.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I’ve cancelled my Premium sub. Still have it til feb or something like that. I like subscriptions so if they do make it great then I’ll resub. But they need to restructure the whole thing imo. It’s just a service for LTTP gamers right now. As it is I’ve already played the big releases once they appear, making the service only useful for indies and sub 70MC games I would’ve never bought, and for that it’s too expensive.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
This is why they’re making a heavy push into GaaS, to make more people pick up subs. If there’s less single player adventures to play, those players will eventually migrate to the multiplayer titles and sub up.

Emet_bp

So where are more newer games? Where are more important and good classic games? Where is Tekken 3, Gran Turismo 1 and 2, MotorStorm 1 and Pacific Rift and many others?

Top Bottom