• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus is increasing its pricing globally starting September 6th

Sleepwalker

Edit:
Mods, please fix title if possible :messenger_dizzy:
"PlayStation Plus is increasing its pricing globally starting September 6th."

We also wanted to let you know that starting September 6 we will be increasing the price for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscriptions globally across all benefit plans. This price adjustment will enable us to continue bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits to your PlayStation Plus subscription service.

Here are the new prices for PlayStation Plus 12-month subscription plans.

PlayStation Plus Essential 12-Month Subscription
79.99 USD | 71,99 Euro | 59.99 GBP | 6,800 Yen

PlayStation Plus Extra 12-Month Subscription
134.99 USD | 125,99 Euro | 99.99 GBP | 11,700 Yen

PlayStation Plus Premium 12-Month Subscription
159.99 USD | 151,99 Euro | 119.99 GBP | 13,900 Yen

The new prices for the 12-Month subscription will remain at a discounted rate when compared to purchasing the 1-Month or 3-Month subscriptions over a 12-month period.

For current 12-month subscribers, this price increase will not take effect until your next renewal date that occurs on or after November 6. However, any membership changes you make on or after September 6, such as upgrades, downgrades or buying additional time, will update your plan reflecting the new prices. You can change or cancel your subscription at any time, details here.

We’ll notify current subscribers of these changes via email and will have additional details on our website soon.

$20 increase for essential. $59.99 -> $79.99
$35 increase for extra. $99.99 -> $134.99
$40 increase for premium. $119.99 -> $159.99

Last edited:

Beechos

Dj Khaled GIF

Solidus_T

Well I'll get my extra year now so I don't have to pay the increased price. I suppose we should have seen this coming with the price of everything going up. Just in the past 3 years, inflation has increased the price of everything by nearly 1/3rd. Insane.

I cancled the Extra, Keeping the Plus for another year. Probly going to abandon the Plus eventually when Epic Store makes all the Plus games free eventually. Lots of overlap between Plus, Epic and the old now dead Gold.

johnjohn

So Sony's doing what everyone was claiming MS would do, drastically increasing sub prices. I wonder what caused them to do this, because those are not small increases. Maybe this is the only way for them to justify getting enough quality content to compete with Game Pass.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Sony released a company wide memo stating that this increase was needed to support the Project Q's income streaming service. You can't just play your games anywhere in your home for free. Developers want in on the money train. /s

Increase sucks, and I want to see how they are going to justify it. The games are ok, but the ability to stream from PC / MAC /Mobile would be a major benefit. (From anywhere not just their app)

Last edited:

Tommi84

I will renew it once more and when it ends in 2027 I'm going to say goodbye to the service. Not a problem

Unknown?

So Sony's doing what everyone was claiming MS would do, drastically increasing sub prices. I wonder what caused them to do this, because those are not small increases. Maybe this is the only way for them to justify getting enough quality content to compete with Game Pass.
Maybe infrastructure costs for streaming? Idk, I have Premium but I'm dropping down to essential.

splattered

Damn i just did the premium 1 year when they offered the discount end of year... fk i don't know if i actually want to renew this now i barely even use it :( I already pay Game Pass Ultimate monthly and barely use it (Though i've been getting the bing points discount every month)

Kings Field

Looks like I’m gonna stay Essential tier. I was premium when it came out and really found no use for it so after my year was up I just stayed essential.

ByWatterson

Expensive games beget expensive subs beget lots of money to invest in expensive games.

It's a glorious virtuous cycle of price hikes to benefit me, the dutiful consumer.

Sigh...I guess I better renew early!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I cancelled PS+ Essential in January for the first time in over 6 years. Just no point having two subs, even at the Essential tier. This fully cements that beyond all doubt. Guess I'm probably not ever signing up for that again.

The weird thing I never realized about not having Essential is how much it alienates you from the ecosystem entirely. You don't get any of the sale prices either on the store, so you just end up buying less. I'm sure this applies to Xbox as well since they have Gold deals.

I do wonder if they'll want to keep alienating consumers from their sale prices in the future if the bottom tier costs a lot. Seems kind of counterproductive for everyone involved. Only thing I got for PS5 all year is Humanity.

Last edited:

ckaneo

Expensive games beget expensive subs beget lots of money to invest in expensive games.

It's a glorious virtuous cycle of price hikes to benefit me, the dutiful consumer.

Sigh...I guess I better renew early!
Lol, we have Sonys financial statements. They are breaking records year after year. This price hike is insane.

At least Microsoft puts stuff like Starfeild day one so if they tried this it would be dumb but understandable. This makes no sense.

Yeah that's a crazy hike I'm locked in premium until 2025 I'll just add more we better be getting better classics with that hike geez

Last edited:

skyfinch

This is straight up bullshit! Can't they improve their internet infrastructure to help maintain the pricing? Maybe team up with Yahoo to help keep the cost down?

Top Bottom