• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus Subscribers Reportedly Flocking to Cancel Their Subscriptions

Draugoth

Gold Member
PS Plus prices are rising and users of the service are not happy. With the increase, which will start on September 6th, each tier of PS Plus (Essential, Extra and Deluxe) will go up by over 30% and this has had a negative effect around the world.
Most posts say they will unsubscribe because of the price increase

Many users in the comments section claim to have canceled their PlayStation Plus memberships as a result of the price increase. A number of players mention that they weren’t using PS Plus features anyway, stating that they primarily play single-player titles. A few users also discuss going back to playing single-player games instead of multiplayer titles that are locked behind a subscription.

Last edited:

GHG

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Online gaming on consoles should be free.

Not "free", but free.

One of the greatest long running scams in the industry.

The Stig

bought a cheap 3 month card form cdkeys.com the other day.

for ONE reason alone: Gran Turismo 7.

and everyone drive like wankers and knock you off at every opportunity with ZERO way to report the pricks and ZERO repercussion.

multiplayer gaming is trash

Blackage

It's an incredibly shitty deal if you're locked into that ecosystem(IE someone who doesn't own multiple consoles and/or PC) you don't have a choice but to eat shit and pay it if you want to play online.

That said I don't know how much I believe an angry minority posting online in outrage having a wider effect on something like this, the vast majority of people who own Playstations are just gonna eat the price increase, and the minority that actually pays attention and doesn't bite the bullet will be off-set by the price increase regardless.

Put it another way(and my math could be wrong) but they'd have to loose something like 12 million~ of their 47 million current PS Plus subs to actual lose out on the price hike.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Pretty sure Sony has did the maths and think those who actually cancelled will be more than covered by the increased revenue from the remaining subscribers. Sony ain't stupid

So these loud minority will have no effect in the longer run. Especially when Sony starts releasing their online games like Horizon Online. I am not even sure these guys really cancelled

Last edited:

GHG

bought a cheap 3 month card form cdkeys.com the other day.

for ONE reason alone: Gran Turismo 7.

and everyone drive like wankers and knock you off at every opportunity with ZERO way to report the pricks and ZERO repercussion.

multiplayer gaming is trash

Play iracing or ACC via LFM instead.

If you're really into racing and don't have an adequate PC then sell your consoles to get one if necessary. I'm not even joking.

ArtHands

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Online gaming on consoles should be free.

Not "free", but free.

One of the greatest long running scams in the industry.

Sony wouldn't have almost 50 PS+ subscribers in the first place if it is a scam.

I only ever subscribed occasionally anyway but yeah, won't be subbing anytime soon with the way sony have been lately. They're raking in the money, yet they're getting greedy and asking for more. Not only that but they seem to be announcing less games aswell. The transition to live service is already having a negative effect. The quicker they see the negative consequences, the better.

Rayderism

Cancelling simply opts out of auto-renew, it will not end your sub right then and there, it will still continue until its expiry date. You pretty much ALWAYS want to set it to "cancel" anyway to prevent it from auto-renewing when your current sub expires. When you add to the sub it will reset that setting back to auto-renew and you have to "cancel" it again. I believe Sony purposely makes cancelling sound more sinister than it actually is so people will leave auto-renew on.

bender

What time is it?
Can't really read much into people complaining as humans are far more likely to let their voice be heard when they are unhappy as opposed to the alternative. Further, it's natural that a portion of the userbase would cancel as the news broke but will they hold their convictions when Modern Warfare (or whatever the soup du jour is) releases? It's too bad Sony will not be sharing subscription numbers moving forward as it would be interesting to see the impact and I guess as long as they don't lose 30% of their memberships, they'll be coming out ahead. I do hope these insane hikes bite them in the ass but I have my doubts.

Cancelling simply opts out of auto-renew, it will not end your sub right then and there, it will still continue until its expiry date. You pretty much ALWAYS want to set it to "cancel" anyway to prevent it from auto-renewing when your current sub expires. When you add to the sub it will reset that setting back to auto-renew and you have to "cancel" it again. I believe Sony purposely makes cancelling sound more sinister than it actually is so people will leave auto-renew on.

There's literally a message telling you your benefits will end and on what date when you press cancel. Wheres the sinister part exactly?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I have auto-renew off. But have it til 2026.
Same - I bought something stupid like 8 years ahead way back when the black friday codes were $30/year. I didn't even bother upgrading it from essential, even last year on black friday when I could have got premium through 2026 for $99. Just not worth it.

One thing to keep in mind, if you're "just playing single player games" - Sony has cloud storage tied to PS+ and will delete your cloud saves after six months of you not being a subscriber. Just a heads up.

ArtHands

It's a scam. They have that many subs because there's no other option but to pay it if you want to play online on console.

Many folks here insisted previously that its a great deal because of the free games, cheater free and such. There are also people who have purchased multiple years right after the announcement

I highly doubt these players are going to resist well not going online in fighting games or shooter games

Robb

Gold Member
Sony must have seen this coming. With an increase like that you’ll obviously lower demand quite a bit.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Yea just cancelled mine.

It still goes til late April 2024 though. I'll see what happens then.

Dthomp

I voted not sure in the other thread, but am leaning more towards cancelling. Really just have it for Destiny 2 and the one or two big games a year that might show up in PS+ (Not Extra/Premium) so without some massive added value (CrunchyRoll included, guaranteed hits in PS+, and a monster improvement to the amount of and quality of titles in Extra/Premium they are going to take a major hit in subs. I can move to PC or Xbox if I truly want to play the couple games I currently play online and instead focus on my backlog of single player games.

feynoob

Banned
I just wish they allow us native ps3 games on their system.
I dont want to keep paying for the cloud portion.

mopspear

I actually don't know what it even does except for multiplayer. I don't play those games except for on PC I guess.

Fbh

"Many users in the comments section"

i dont think the voices on reddit matters ,imo.

This.
The price increase sucks and I'm one of the people who probably won't renew.

But I think this will be one of those cases where the online discourse and reality just doesn't align.

This will likely be one of those cases where people on reddit and forums are furious and "everyone is cancelling", but then we find out subscriptions dropped 1%.
And Sony doesn't mind a 1% drop in subscribers if they can get an extra 33% from everyone who stays

Last edited:
Top Bottom