• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Sony doesn't report a decrease in subscribers for PS+, people are crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Hypothetical:
- New State of Play end of September
- Decent First party showing
- One more thing moment
- Daddy Ryan walks out
- EA Play and Ubisoft+ part of the Premium and Extra Tiers
- Day 1 releases of 1st Party on PS5 and PC

What now? Still too expensive?

Do this and I'm back in. No first party and I'm not paying that much.

T-0800

So saturation of subs reached from their existing console base and said "fuck it" increase the prices to inflate revenue/profits from existing customers. How fun.

EDIT: Also Australian prices have seen pretty drastic increases -
  • PlayStation Plus Essential 12-Month Subscription
    $95.95 AUD (was $79.95 AUD)
  • PlayStation Plus Extra 12-Month Subscription
    $169.95 AUD (was $134.95 AUD)
  • PlayStation Plus Deluxe 12-Month Subscription
    $196.95 AUD (was $154.95 AUD)

Source

That's crazy. I just resubscribed to Deluxe for $108AU. No way I'll be paying $196 in 12 months. Might even skip Essential. See what happens I suppose.

mrmustard

Banned
I think they will even increase. Sony will release lots of GaaS games that require Plus and as usual they will market the shit out of those games.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hypothetical:
- One more thing moment
- Daddy Ryan walks out

This would be incredible. I'd stay subscribed for this. As long as the first party release schedule looks awesome for 2024 onwards.

Last edited:

Moses85

Hypothetical:
- One more thing moment
- Daddy Ryan walks out

Sassy Crystal Ball GIF by Jack0_o

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This increase in price for PS Plus is insane and ridiculous. Arrogant Sony is back in full force and they really want to remove any good will they got from PS4 gen.

But what is even more upsetting is that companies tend to do this crazy price hikes only to report that they increase sales by record numbers!

Netflix announced that they were going to increase prices (for like the third time in a year) AND remove password sharing, and the next thing that happens is that they report they had a substantial increase in new subscribers!

Cars are increasing in price by more than 35% a year, but you see companies saying they break sales records!

Why are people like that? Everyone complains about price hikes, but then go a buy the product anyway!

This time, Sony should completely lose subscribers and their renews should tank! There is no way people will get a $160 premium subscription right?

Sony and Microsoft are truly believing that people will pay whatever they want for their products and services. This generation has been the worst for PlayStation. They might be having great sales, but this gen feels empty and boring. No exclusive PS5 games (everything is cross-gen), 3 years in, there is no game that truly showcases PS5 power, Sony hasn't announced anything this generation. Most of their games are sequels and games they announced mostly before launch. Focus on worthless products (as great as they could be like PS VR, but completely unnecessary).

Anyway, like the title say, people are crazy if they give Sony a record-breaking subscribed users (or renewed) for PS+ after this ripoff if price increase.
For big big corporations like MS and Sony and others goodwill is like planting seeds. You do not gain anything, you invest, and you reap rewards when you collect your crop, and then plant more seeds, rinse and repeat.

I find it interesting this is far more of a random PS5 hate bonanza though with MS with other companies sprinkled in (PS5 got no game - check, PSVR2 is a worrhless product - check, Sony only has cross gen games and has not announced anything - check).

Still, hey, gotta make the most of when Sony does something shitty (which they did) eh ;)?

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Ubisoft+ is already kinda part of the PS+ Extra. Not in the same format as Ubisoft has it but pretty much all Ubisoft+ games has already been added to PS+ Extra.
Day 1 1st party releases on subscriptions is not sustainable, and day 1 on PC is a good way to kill the console business.
Profits are counted on software...not hardware, hardware first 2 or 3 years maybe sell with the lost. Real money is in subscriptions & software sales.

Ozzie666

Day and date releases don't work, it's not really tenable. At least I don't think it is. I rather see them stick to the traditional releases being in stores., However they need to really ramp up the PS2/3, PSP/Vita offerings. Portable games would be great for the few who might buy the portal.

Astray

Gold Member
My 1st year out of Uni, a manager of mine taught me something about this and I thought I might share:

Companies raise prices like this when they see that a product has reached saturation and can no longer grow, which would lead to stagnation, which then leads to slow decline (because people naturally lose interest or die or forget to re-up their credit cards etc).

So what happens is while some people like you or me might start skipping the product, the majority of people just.. don't.

So let's assume that %10 of consumers stop consuming the product, this means that the remaining %90 are now "ok" with consuming at a higher dollar rate, which means that the money the company gets from the %90 at the new price is about the same money they used to get from the full %100 at the old price, maybe a bit more.

Now they can start doing promotions to slowly regain the old %10, either through new consumers or through attracting old ones.

It's brutal math but it's been proven throughout multiple industries.

Three

Hypothetical:
- One more thing moment
- Daddy Ryan walks out

My prediction:
"1/3 of basic" was referring to the price increase amount for essential.

- state of play with possible slim in same month (march possible)
- Ragnarok on PS+ with DLC announcement.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
All the talk of gamepass price hikes incoming (which they will be) then Sony goes and says "you said subscription price increases? Hold my beer"

Last edited:

Kupfer

I topped up a few years of Essential with cheap credit a while ago. That will last until summer 2024, but after that I'm out too.
I hardly use PSPlus at all, the "free" games are a joke, especially as they are only borrowed, and blocking the multiplayer mode behind a paywall that is unnecessarily inflated with pointless "features" and therefore expensive, rather motivates me to stop being a customer in the future.
If there was a basic tier with cloud saves, updates and multiplayer for a fair (!) price, I would be there, but these 3 models, especially at the new prices, are a cheek. Coupled with the current course Sony is taking (focus on GaaS, multiplayer, CrossGen, streaming), they are losing me as a fanboy bit by bit since this generation.
Unfortunately, I believe that this, my, decision will not motivate Sony to rethink. Of course, if the masses would join in, Sony would have to rethink their strategy, but I think the current players are now too young or too comfortable and used to such tactics and don't know "the good old days" anymore, or rather they let it happen to them.

Last edited:

Three

Not a thing.

Also, everyone is raising prices, not just Sony... Microsoft fucked up raising theirs, but they'll get it right soon.
MS already raised theirs and theirs is already more expensive. I think come next year it will go up another $2 per month/ $24 per year. Sony will probably do the same too. It's how these subs get you.

Portugeezer

They will drop, but don't expect a huge drop.

It's before FIFA (EA FC) and COD season. Those are two of PlayStation's best selling and most social games.

Last edited:
Sony did the math and figured this will lose Microsoft more subscribers than it loses them.

Who the fuck can afford both premium gamepass and PS+ now?

Personally I cancelled gamepass months ago due to lack of first party stuff, this is the nail in the coffin for PS+. Going to save up for a good PC instead.

PanzerCute

I also just received an email telling me my GPU price is now 2€ more per month.

Now just waiting for Nintendo to screw me too!

Kupfer

If you want to set an example, you can cancel your subscription right now.
The period already paid for remains activated, but this way Sony sees directly that people are cancelling based on their decision.

It's easy,

• go to the app
  • click on PS Store (bottom centre)
  • then on the three horizontal lines at the top right
  • then subscription management

Here you can cancel the existing subscription with 2 clicks (and reactivate it if you change your mind).

Starship Troopers GIF

Last edited:

fersnake

oh man ppl with auto subscribe are not gonna care. and the sad about it sony are gonna call that a win and not gonna give a F.

SenkiDala

Hypothetical:
- One more thing moment
- Daddy Ryan walks out

The only thing that can justify this price raise would be if ALL their first party games come to PS+ Extra.

And they won't do it. If they wanted to, they would have talk about it BEFORE communicating about the price rise. And not with Saints Row / Generation Zero / a free MMO as this month lineup.

Just I think that last year when they release EXTRA/PREMIUM, with high prices, they watched how it turned out, and it seems like it turned out pretty well, so they're just capitalizing on it, like crazies, like they thought "599 a PS3 with no games ? no problem people will get a 2nd job to afford it".

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
My 1st year out of Uni, a manager of mine taught me something about this and I thought I might share:

Companies raise prices like this when they see that a product has reached saturation and can no longer grow, which would lead to stagnation, which then leads to slow decline (because people naturally lose interest or die or forget to re-up their credit cards etc).

So what happens is while some people like you or me might start skipping the product, the majority of people just.. don't.

So let's assume that %10 of consumers stop consuming the product, this means that the remaining %90 are now "ok" with consuming at a higher dollar rate, which means that the money the company gets from the %90 at the new price is about the same money they used to get from the full %100 at the old price, maybe a bit more.

Now they can start doing promotions to slowly regain the old %10, either through new consumers or through attracting old ones.

It's brutal math but it's been proven throughout multiple industries.

Yah, that make sense. The loud minority who cancelled will no doubt return after a month or two anyway

peish

Hypothetical:
- One more thing moment
- Daddy Ryan walks out

i may bite if so, but i expect only 1 and 2 and arrogant daddy ryan with his poker nose and nothing more.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
They should release a super basic package where u dnt get any free games monthly but u can cloud save and play online games maybe for like 30 a year.
Why would Sony want to do that?

You got your "cheap" hardware, did you think you are going to get away scot-free?

Last edited:
Everyone complains about price hikes, but then go a buy the product anyway!
As a customer, I am naturally not thrilled to pay more for probably the same service as of now. PS5 streams are supposed to be coming, which will be nice, but not a really hugely important addition for me. Even though I porbably use streaming more than the average.
With the lens of how a company works, it makes the same sense as Nvidia doing high prices though, because they can and therefor kinda must.

But seeing no or too little value in that service, Extra Premium or Essential is just your f-ing problem. Stop subscribing if that is truthfully the case and accept that some people might not agree with your stance, at all. There is insane value in all sub services. There is insane value in EGS freebies. There is insane value in humble bundles and sales on steam. Games are as cheap as ever, when you have a little patience. 70 dollar games are imho expensive, meanwhile almost any triple digit number is arguably justified for a collection of ~350 or ~700 games and still a lot cheaper. Unless you think everything actually loses (all/most of) its value with time, within a few months.

The only surprise for me is that Sony is confident enough to increase the price right at the moment MS may start to gain some traction with their first system seller like game, even though the further schedule looks still empty considering all the acquisitions and how little they pumped out. I would have waited at least some Starfield numbers, so a month maybe, Sony hardly wants to increase right at xmas. But maybe they already know some preorder numbers and that it won't set the world on fire just now, so know that they get away with it. Having another full AAA game budget to counter future MS each year.

Would I prefer free, sure, but would I get the same value paying whatever sale price for each individual game, hell no. Even a couple of 9,99 sales easily surpass the current sub price.

Hudo

Nah, Sony will try to butter up people in the next rumored State of Play where Jim "no one plays old games anymore" Ryan will announce PS2 games for PS+ or something. Maybe top that off with some Spider-Man 2 footage or an PS+-exclusive demo and people will cheer.

Have you met Sony fans???
Dance Flowers GIF by A24
Fans are fans and gonna fan. Doesn’t matter which product it is.

On topic: those price increases are double the inflation here so it’s a bad money grab I’d say. On the other hand, if you look over the past 2 to 3 years here in Sweden, food prices more than doubled mostly, so a 30% price increase is pretty moderate if you look at it like that.

Also shouldn’t forget that most people get 15% salary raises each year now to battle empty pockets because of the inflation so without realizing it people are still getting richer in total percentage after all is said and done.

E.G. in the last 2 years earn about 10K kronor more a month after taxes, while is spend around 6k to 7k more because of inflation, so after all is said and done, everything looks more expensive but it actually is cheaper compared. I know this doesn’t count for everyone, I’m just 1 example.

Last edited:
...seeing no or too little value in that service, Extra Premium or Essential is just your f-ing problem. Stop subscribing if that is truthfully the case and accept that some people might not agree with your stance, at all. There is insane value in all sub services. There is insane value in EGS freebies. There is insane value in humble bundles and sales on steam. Games are as cheap as ever, when you have a little patience.
Exactly this. And people complaining so loudly makes even less sense when it's for a luxury spend and not an essential. If you don't like it, just unsubscribe but they really should understand that for plenty of us the value is more than there, and for plenty of us the extra money is not the end of the world.

Killjoy-NL

This increase in price for PS Plus is insane and ridiculous. Arrogant Sony is back in full force and they really want to remove any good will they got from PS4 gen.

But what is even more upsetting is that companies tend to do this crazy price hikes only to report that they increase sales by record numbers!

Netflix announced that they were going to increase prices (for like the third time in a year) AND remove password sharing, and the next thing that happens is that they report they had a substantial increase in new subscribers!

Cars are increasing in price by more than 35% a year, but you see companies saying they break sales records!

Why are people like that? Everyone complains about price hikes, but then go a buy the product anyway!

This time, Sony should completely lose subscribers and their renews should tank! There is no way people will get a $160 premium subscription right?

Sony and Microsoft are truly believing that people will pay whatever they want for their products and services. This generation has been the worst for PlayStation. They might be having great sales, but this gen feels empty and boring. No exclusive PS5 games (everything is cross-gen), 3 years in, there is no game that truly showcases PS5 power, Sony hasn't announced anything this generation. Most of their games are sequels and games they announced mostly before launch. Focus on worthless products (as great as they could be like PS VR, but completely unnecessary).

Anyway, like the title say, people are crazy if they give Sony a record-breaking subscribed users (or renewed) for PS+ after this ripoff if price increase.
There's inflation.

We also have to take into consideration that overall prices have been going up, as does our pay from work.

KaiserBecks

PS5 isn't my main console, I only have it for SP games and since there isn't a single interesting MP PS5 exclusive game I don't see the point in getting a Plus subscription.
Don't really care about how much they are charging. Let them fuck over their fanbase, they're used to it anyway.

Three

PS5 isn't my main console, I only have it for SP games and since there isn't a single interesting MP PS5 exclusive game I don't see the point in getting a Plus subscription.
Don't really care about how much they are charging. Let them fuck over their fanbase, they're used to it anyway.
Says the guy paying more for a gamepass subscription.

StueyDuck

wait for January, then we'll see

This was the major criticism both MS and Sony received from the beginning about these services, the joke/meme was always that they aren't sustainable and people always made fun of the dissenters but the fact is that to keep these services operating they way they do without a loss then they'll have to up the price... so while it's shit and we all hate it, it is also what we all asked and begged for. "Mah Gaem Pass" well this is the subscription future, get use to it, prices are going to rise and the services are going to become more limited in order to make you pay even more money for older options, this was always an inevitability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom