• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Plus Subscribers Reportedly Flocking to Cancel Their Subscriptions

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's a pretty big price hike to do all at once so I get it. I'm not personally at a point in my life where it's much of a budget line item, but there are times where I probably would have cancelled it or downgraded.

Just another reminder, as others have already stated here, cancelling your subscriptions after the first 14 days will NOT give your money back. What it does is it will just turn off auto-renewal, which you should always turn off after adding or subbing to Plus in the first place!

Last edited:
Lol, posting a thread about the opinions of Reddit users. I'd rather punch myself in the dick than read the comments of those cunts fucks at reddit.
And half the replies here are bandwagoners too, needing to feel cool cause theyre bucking the system. Get em tiger!

Im sure sony will have seasonal sales on the subscriptions and people will gobble it right back up. I have premium subscription and think its worth it. They need to dump some more classics on there with the trophy and rewind features, but all the other games included is an insane value.

Someone said earlier that rich people dont spend money. Well thats a retarded motto because yes they do, its called investing and being frugal. Buy things that will be worthwhile and not constant consumables, and dont cry because you feel something isnt fair

AmuroChan

Im sure sony will have seasonal sales on the subscriptions and people will gobble it right back up.

That's the key. I don't think I've ever paid full price for PS+. I've always just waited for sales and I'm pretty sure they have those sales at least once a year.

JimRyanGOAT

When are things not being passed on to the consumers?

Its our job to address climate change by recycling and being forced to use paper straws while these large corporations destroy the environment

Its our job to sucker up and pay more "becaze recasion" meanwhile these companies are making more than ever

Last edited:
Funny, I did the same thing during the end of the PS4 generation. Sony announced the list of PLUS games that would be available only for those who bought a PS5...

BUT if you activated the games on the PS5, you could still play them on the PS4.

I thought to myself: I've been subscribing to this since it launched on the PS3, even when it wasn't available in Brazil yet, going through the trouble of buying from the American/Canadian store.

After so many years of being a consumer of their product, they blocked me and there's not even a technical limitation.

This is no longer the company that won me over during the PS3 era. Fuck Sony.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Funny, I did the same thing during the end of the PS4 generation. Sony announced the list of PLUS games that would be available only for those who bought a PS5...

BUT if you activated the games on the PS5, you could still play them on the PS4.

I thought to myself: I've been subscribing to this since it launched on the PS3, even when it wasn't available in Brazil yet, going through the trouble of buying from the American/Canadian store.

After so many years of being a consumer of their product, they blocked me and there's not even a technical limitation.

This is no longer the company that won me over during the PS3 era. Fuck Sony.
The company that won you over during the PS3 era ?

Are talking about the era that :

- they released their console at 600 Eurodollars 1+year after the Xbox 360 ?

- most of the multiplatform games ran worse on it ?

- they took out backwards compatibility from European models ?

- They took out the option of installing Linux after a while because "piracy" ?

- PSN being free but being barebones and light years behind Xbox live ?

- the PSN hack fiasco ?

I mean, you/we can sing Sony all the praises we want but the PS3 era is the wrong one to choose when it comes to "goodwill" friend.

PS1, PS2 and even the PS4 ones were much, much better than the PS3 one

The company that won you over during the PS3 era ?

Are talking about the era that :

- they released their console at 600 Eurodollars 1+year after the Xbox 360 ?

- most of the multiplatform games ran worse on it ?

- They took out the option of installing Linux after a while because "piracy" ?

- PSN being free but being barebones and light years behind Xbox live ?

- the PSN hack fiasco ?

I mean, you/we can sing Sony all the praises we want but the PS3 era is the wrong one to choose when it comes to "goodwill" friend.

PS1, PS2 and even the PS4 ones were much, much better than the PS3 one
You see, for me it was all about the exclusives
Ps3 had much more exclusives that I liked than ps4
Also, I bought my ps3 in 2010, when the price was way lower
I had an PS2 too so BC wasn't a important factor
I never used Linux
PSN being worse than live wasn't a problem because I did not have anything else to compare to
PSN hack was bad but if I think about it does not change the fact that I loved most PS3 exclusives

Finally, tastes and preferences are subjective, if you find these problems unacceptable it's ok, I'm not trying to change your mind

Kindela

Banned
Eh, it's still worth it for me most likely. 125 euros a year means I would need to play at least four 30 eur games per year for it to be worth it. I think most of the games I have played lately have been from ps+, and they were usually in the 30+ euros range.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Eh, it's still worth it for me most likely. 125 euros a year means I would need to play at least four 30 eur games per year for it to be worth it. I think most of the games I have played lately have been from ps+, and they were usually in the 30+ euros range.
The question is - do you need to play so many games? If you are subscribed you have that pressure “I need to play it, otherwise I’m wasting money”. Remember time is much more valuable than money.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

Some, sure.

But let's be honest:
When Sony put online multiplayer behind PS+, everybody was supposedly going to boycot it, yet here we are, paying for PS+.

The same will happen with the price increase, just like with the price increase for games.

Noble cause, but pointless battle.
It's so sad we the consumers just give up for free. Truly insane.

SenkiDala

It's Very shitty that something Basic as cloud saves requires a 80$ subscription lol.
Yeah about that I agree, it should be a built in feature. In fact I resumed because I lost my FFX (PS4) saves, I know it is dumb but I had 6 months for sub back or they'd delete my cloud saves... And I thought "oh if I sub again, let's take the Premium"...

The question is - do you need to play so many games? If you are subscribed you have that pressure “I need to play it, otherwise I’m wasting money”. Remember time is much more valuable than money.
While this is true, especially since I have a backlog of about 20 years, I enjoy the ability to casually stroll through the extra catalogue and try games out on a whim. I cant count how many times Ive found an obscure new favorite just by coincidence. That peace of mind to have nearly endless (hundreds) of options whenever Im in the mood makes it valuable for me. I tend to be finnicky about what Im in the mood for, so I dont hold myself down to limited amount or time required for playing. Thats just me though!

It's so sad we the consumers just give up for free. Truly insane.
Gaming rights shall not be infringed!!

OverHeat

« generous god »
Ny1ynLm.jpg

Canceled fuck u jimbo

Cyberpunkd

I was tempted to go for $60 Essential sub before the price hike but then I figured the only thing I will be using it for would be Diablo 4 multiplayer...which I almost never play FML

I have BG3 incoming this month for Mac, Pillars of Eternity I started + Phantom Liberty end September. I should be good for half a year.

I was tempted to go for $60 Essential sub before the price hike but then I figured the only thing I will be using it for would be Diablo 4 multiplayer...which I almost never play FML

I have BG3 incoming this month for Mac, Pillars of Eternity I started + Phantom Liberty end September. I should be good for half a year.
PoE is really good! (Loading times suck)

I

If it helps I upgraded my PS4 Pro HDD for SSD because I couldn't stomach Witcher 3 loading times.
Yea i eventually put a 2tb ssd in my system storage and it got about 30% quicker. I used a stopwatch to measure the difference. Still not as quick as sata3 or m2 whatever formats

Kindela

Banned

I usually play less than 10 games a year, and am almost never in a hurry to pay full price for a game. But at any time I probably have at least 5 games on my wishlist which are still too expensive for me to pay. And ps plus extra easily gives me 5+ games a year I want to play which would set me back more if I had paid for them all individually.

ReBurn

Gold Member
As much as I hate to say this, Sony doesn't give a fuck about losing a few subscribers. Their stock just went up.

Short term thinking. Sure, raising prices excites the market and stock price goes up. Later, if the revenue drops, the stock price falls. Stock price isn't revenue, it's valuation. Valuation doesn't pay bills. People unsubscribing could lower revenue, which could affect P/S ratio, which could affect valuation, which could lower stock price.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Times like this makes me so glad that I’m not in to online gaming, so I don’t have to bother subscription crap.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It wasn't taken out, the method use was changed.
EU Launch PS3's had BC with a handful of games nobody heard of that didn't work
Obviously later all PS3's had the PS2 BC gutted out of them.

Last edited:
There’s always a small, modest initial subscriber loss any time there’s a price increase. The whole point though is to be able to mitigate the loss in the medium-term by having better content or staying competitive while also being able to maintain a profit. The subscriber growth does slowly bounce back over time. Netflix has been dealing with that give-and-take for 15+ years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom