• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun and Moon Starters Revealed. Releases November 18th 2016.

Who

Banned
I mean this battle in the screen seems like the first rival battle, so it may just be certain battles that have cool background elements. Don't get your hopes too high lol

I also hope that they have similar dynamic backgrounds in all battles but this is GF.

Yeah it would be nice if they improved the battle view in the same that Fire Emblem Fates improved on it.

Bye Framerate.

Edit: Serously though, this game is shaping up to really build on X and Y's stumbles. Super Hype. I really hope this is the game Morimoto was working on.
They look like they're just sprites, I doubt they'll affect the framerate.

They seem to be using the same models for the overworld gameplay and the battle, so every trainer should have a model this time. The issue with XY and the R/S remakes was that they needed different battle models from the ones used in the overworld, so only a few trainers got those.
Nope, battle models are higher poly, you can tell in the trailer. Hopefully they were smart and just made battle models and then optimized those for the overworld so we have a low and high poly version of everyone, otherwise we're in for a repeat of Gen VI on that front.

Isn't the bar like PBR's?
Not even close.
maxresdefault.jpg

Forkball

Really loving the aesthetic direction they are taking this generation. Leagues better than XY or ORAS. The static backgrounds in 6th generation became very stale after a while.

Here's hoping that in addition to changing the music in online battles, we can now select various stadiums to battle in.

The backgrounds in XY were great. You saw the wind blow, grass and trees move, and you could even interact with the background to get items. Plus while the day/night cycle was subtle in the overworld, you got a real sense of it in the battle. This XY revisionist history cannot stand!

I really like that sound track okay. Waterfall Colosseum got pretty damn repetitive, but I don't think that's the song's fault. That being said, it's not my favorite soundtrack.

I know what you mean. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking but I have fond memories of the tracks with the show's announcer voicing the whole match lol

I'm very optimistic! Seems like Game Freak is making some very nice visual improvements all around. I really wanted full 3D models for humans and it's good to see them in this game.

Personally speaking, I'm excited for the direction Sun and Moon is headed in terms of overworld and battle design. I feel each generation has slowly been progressing to this and that it will slowly improve over future generations. Stylistically it kinda reminds me of a PS1/early PS2 RPG. Pokemon's art style has always been pretty bland so I don't mind the style. Although as someone mentioned a game based on Hawaii should look a lot more lively but it's GF so....

I've been betrayed too many times by getting attached to a 1st form starter that ends with a terrible final form. 1st Gen, I went with Bulbasaur because it was my favorite but Venusaur is my most disliked final form of the three starters. 2nd Gen, I went with totodile but all the final forms of the Johto starters weren't great. 3rd Gen, I stuck with Treeko and was happy with that even though Grovyle was way better than Sceptile design wise. 4th Gen, I was gonna go with Piplup but Empoleon is trash so I went with Turtwig. Gen 5 I went with Oshawott even though it's final form was kinda lame. Gen 6, I used Chespin and was pretty dissapointed but as someone said if its final form had been recolored it would've been a lot better. Gen 7, I'm undecided. Rowlett and Litten both look good but they could easily be disasters when they evolve. Popplio, I have no feelings either way about. I'd love for it to be the Oshawott final form we should've gotten lol.

I know what you mean. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking but I have fond memories of the tracks with the show's announcer voicing the whole match lol
Yeah. Like, I don't know why, but I especially love the announcer's reaction when someone uses Trick Room. It just completely caught me off guard the first time I heard it and it just cracks me up every time I hear it for whatever reason. xd PBR was great~ :D

We only see the opponent's health bar but I have a feeling the exp bar on the players side will be located somewhere else instead of under the HP bar. Probably in the bottom screen? Lord knows that screen is under used in these game's battle screens.

Also, I hope GF finally puts the stat buffs up for once. It's ridiculous how we have to memorize that crap still.

StoneFox

Yeah. Like, I don't know why, but I especially love the announcer's reaction when someone uses Trick Room. It just completely caught me off guard the first time I heard it and it just cracks me up every time I hear it for whatever reason. xd PBR was great~ :D
"What's this?! DISTORTION-! THE COLOSSEUM-!"

The PBR announcer was hilarious, although I really like the hypeman in the Stadium games.

"WHOA! Taken down with one hit!"
"GONE! It's a one-hit wonder!"
"WHOA! What's it doing?! Down it goes!"
"WHAAA! It exploded!!"

And he was great with magikarp:
"What's the point of splashing? >:|"

"What's this?! DISTORTION-! THE COLOSSEUM-!"

The PBR announcer was hilarious, although I really like the hypeman in the Stadium games.

"WHOA! Taken down with one hit!"
"GONE! It's a one-hit wonder!"
"WHOA! What's it doing?! Down it goes!"
"WHAAA! It exploded!!"

And he was great with magikarp:
"What's the point of splashing? >:|"
Shame that the Stadium guy had some mispronunciations, otherwise he was perfect. Raychu and poNEETA come to mind.

Never really got to play PBR when it came out due to not having wifi/when I got the converter I still couldn't connect to anyone because Nintendo's online used to be flawless. I wish I had, though, as the battles looked really good at the time (outside of some N64 models being ported). I just got stuck going through the campaign and suffering through Roulette.

ash_ag

Apparently Pokenchi showed a new trailer

lwkAuQl.jpg

New HP bar and bystanders are shown in battle.

Seeing NPCs and the town on the background makes me wonder if transition from overworld to battle has become more seamless, at least for key locations. Could be a limited thing to make good early impressions, but it certainly looks nice.

I'm sorry if this was asked, but did anybody see grass anywhere? I assumed there was none because it was the first route and the trainer was on his/her way to the professor to get a starter Pokemon. I guess there could've been grass on the sides still.

I thought in the city I saw a patch of grass, but it was too blurry to tell.

RagnarokX

I'm sorry if this was asked, but did anybody see grass anywhere? I assumed there was none because it was the first route and the trainer was on his/her way to the professor to get a starter Pokemon. I guess there could've been grass on the sides still.

I thought in the city I saw a patch of grass, but it was too blurry to tell.

There is grass in the city, but it's extra tall. There's tall grass all over:

nh2mIgr.jpg

Also, here's a comparison of this one island to the entire region of Hoenn after adjusting them to the same scale:
EtIta6p.jpg

Actually I probably should have scaled the Alola island down more, but you get the idea.

Puruzi

Banned
Seeing NPCs and the town on the background makes me wonder if transition from overworld to battle has become more seamless, at least for key locations. Could be a limited thing to make good early impressions, but it certainly looks nice.

Like Fates?

nh2mIgr.jpg

Also, here's a comparison of this one island to the entire region of Hoenn after adjusting them to the same scale:
EtIta6p.jpg

Actually I probably should have scaled the Alola island down more, but you get the idea.

Alright, yeah I see it. Thanks

nh2mIgr.jpg

EtIta6p.jpg

Yeah I believe the island we've been shown is essentially the opening area of the game. With the opening town, city and forest. They likely are hiding some other things to do on the island that can't be accessed until later such as a Gym leader or different accessible areas. With that said, I'm expecting the Gen 7 region to be smaller. With the new perspective, I don't see them being able to make a region as large as the others. Having the region split up into smaller islands is likely the only way the engine is able to run as it is. I suspect the only way to go to other islands will be via ferry to mask loading times.

I also think they will likely just do Pokemon Sun and moon 2 or the 3rd version for this gen and then end it. 5th and 6th gen only had 2 mainline Pokémon games (B/W/2 and X/Y/OR/AS) unlike gen 3 and 4 which both had 3 mainline titles( R/S/E/FR/LG and D/P/Pt/HG/SS). So they seem to be alternating now between remakes and third versions. As I said earlier in my post, I doubt their Gen 7 engine could handle any of the older regions on the 3DS so I'm skeptical of a D/P remake. GF always likes starting off a new gen and pokemon engine for a new handheld so I'm expecting Gen 7 to be released on the 3DS.

Delio

Yeah I believe the island we've been shown is essentially the opening area of the game. With the opening town, city and forest. They likely are hiding some other things to do on the island that can't be accessed until later such as a Gym leader or different accessible areas. With that said, I'm expecting the Gen 7 region to be smaller. With the new perspective, I don't see them being able to make a region as large as the others. Having the region split up into smaller islands is likely the only way the engine is able to run as it is. I suspect the only way to go to other islands will be via ferry to mask loading times.

I also think they will likely just do Pokemon Sun and moon 2 or the 3rd version for this gen and then end it. 5th and 6th gen only had 2 mainline Pokémon games (B/W/2 and X/Y/OR/AS) unlike gen 3 and 4 which both had 3 mainline titles( R/S/E/FR/LG and D/P/Pt/HG/SS). So they seem to be alternating now between remakes and third versions. As I said earlier in my post, I doubt their Gen 7 engine could handle any of the older regions on the 3DS so I'm skeptical of a D/P remake. GF always likes starting off a new gen and pokemon engine for a new handheld so I'm expecting Gen 7 to be released on the 3DS.

I dont think it will be that small honestly. I bet the Big island will be much bigger than normal even with these smaller islands.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Really loving the aesthetic direction they are taking this generation. Leagues better than XY or ORAS. The static backgrounds in 6th generation became very stale after a while.

Here's hoping that in addition to changing the music in online battles, we can now select various stadiums to battle in.

See this is why I hate ORAS - ORAS's sins are attributed to XY.

XY's background is very lively and in fact had features like affecting background objects to gain items.

Kyzer

Banned
Seamless battle transitions are a definite possibility I knew it. Now to see if they are reworking HMs to retake control of which Pokemon can ferry you and soar you around

This game is probably gonna run like ass on the normal 3ds

danwu

Banned
Pokemon Moon looks batshit crazy ! The game looks very safe, not messing with the formula much.

I like the starters, the visuals are bit disappointing, not much else other than that.

Pokemon Moon looks batshit crazy ! The game looks very safe, not messing with the formula much.

I like the starters, the visuals are bit disappointing, not much else other than that.

Lol.... your post went in a different direction I thought it would after reading your first sentence.

How far out from release will we know the difference between the two versions? Like exclusive Pokémon and maybe different areas?

Puruzi

Banned
I hope Gamefreak learned how to optimize. There are games that look much better than this on the 3DS that run pretty well. There's no reason for it to have bad framerate. But, I don't care about the framerate in Pokemon as much as I do for other games so it won't be a huge deal for me.

Crayolan

Seamless battle transitions are a definite possibility I knew it. Now to see if they are reworking HMs to retake control of which Pokemon can ferry you and soar you around

This game is probably gonna run like ass on the normal 3ds

Who wants seamless battle transitions though?

I love the screen wipes pokemon does, in fact they should make even more kinds of screen wipes for standard trainer battles. I don't remember how far back it was (gen 4? gen 3? Edit: it's gen 4) but they used to have a bigger selection of screen wipes for standard trainers just to add to variety.

See this is why I hate ORAS - ORAS's sins are attributed to XY.

XY's background is very lively and in fact had features like affecting background objects to gain items.

They're both bad, save for the few flashy backgrounds like Lysandre 3 and Wally.

Also was there really a huge up roar for the frame rate drops at the beginning of Gen VI? I don't remember it being mention except a occasional sly post here and there and those were few.

I'm going to be honest. I didn't notice any frame rate issues. Unless it's something drastic like Dragon Age Origins and it's hard for me to notice but even then the drops in Dragon Age Origins didn't really bother me.

Puruzi

Banned
Also was there really a huge up roar for the frame rate drops at the beginning of Gen VI? I don't remember it being mention except a occasional sly post here and there and those were few.

I'm going to be honest. I didn't notice any frame rate issues. Unless it's something drastic like Dragon Age Origins and it's hard for me to notice but even then the drops in Dragon Age Origins didn't really bother me.

There were a bunch of drops if you used 3D I think. I didn't so it didn't bother me, but whatever

Seil

It's mostly in battle, where things can get absolutely horrible thanks to the high poly models. Horde battles and even double battles, let alone triple, can be really choppy. Especially when you have stuff like Yanma and whatnot out there.

Then there's the fact battles are the only place you can use 3D, and doing so makes things oh so very much worse haha.

Edit: For people with CFW/homebrew access, forcing the n3DS clock speed on the games does alleviate the problem a decent bit, though it's still pretty bad with 3D on. So hopefully S&M will natively take advantage of n3DS on top of any other optimization they may have accomplished.

It can definitely be noticeable even with the 3D off. Some outdoor environments, like where wind is blowing, along with double/triple/horde battles can make the framerate sluggish. It's probably why the only usable area for multiplayer battles is extremely basic.

Why Game Freak didn't just downgrade the models a bit further is confusing. Are the ones used in game even the highest poly models or are they still downscaled?

There were a bunch of drops if you used 3D I think. I didn't so it didn't bother me, but whatever

It's mostly in battle, where things can get absolutely horrible thanks to the high poly models. Horde battles and even double battles, let alone triple, can be really choppy. Especially when you have stuff like Yanma and whatnot out there.

Then there's the fact battles are the only place you can use 3D, and doing so makes things oh so very much worse haha.

Edit: For people with CFW/homebrew access, forcing the n3DS clock speed on the games does alleviate the problem a decent bit, though it's still pretty bad with 3D on. So hopefully S&M will natively take advantage of n3DS on top of any other optimization they may have accomplished.

Ok.. I've never used 3D and never will but I understand the complaints of those who wants to use that feature as much as possible. As for drops without the 3D on, yeah it flew over my head. Between X, Y, and ORAS I have just under 3,000 hours of game time with a shit ton of battling and yeah. I think I'm just horrible at seeing it or I naturally don't care to see it unless it's game breaking.

Macka

I don't really notice it without the 3D on unless it's a Yanma horde battle or something like that. Doesn't particularly bother me anyway.

Kyzer

Banned
In thinking about it more that screen is probably just for that starting town like how in XY in the beginning you fight in that first town and it almost misleads you to believe every location would have a unique detailed scene

NeonZ

The backgrounds in XY were great. You saw the wind blow, grass and trees move, and you could even interact with the background to get items. Plus while the day/night cycle was subtle in the overworld, you got a real sense of it in the battle. This XY revisionist history cannot stand!

The backgrounds in XY suffered from the same strong unwillingness to break the ties with elements of the 2d games that other parts of the game did. They had full 3d areas for the Pokemon to fight, but still had those add those circles around them in order in order to indicate the terrain, like in the last 2d games, even though they weren't necessary anymore.

That area bellow the island surrounded by rocks seems to be indicating that the player will be eventually able to swim there though, with the rocks stopping them from just going to open sea. There's an area that doesn't seem to be closed by rocks in the south of the map, which probably leads to the next island. The tiki item in XY from an unknown region indicates that they were intending all along to go with an Hawaii based game, so I don't think the choice has to do with the new engine.

_machine

Why Game Freak didn't just downgrade the models a bit further is confusing. Are the ones used in game even the highest poly models or are they still downscaled?
Making changes to the actual models (or any assets for that matter) at a point where you actually know for sure is an impossibly big of task to be done (reducing polycounts, re-authoring etc. is probably probably closer to hundreds of thousands of working hours at this scale). They either made a conscious decision to go for better models over framerate, or that their scope was a bit too out of reach and pre-production wasn't enough to determine accurate specs for models.

Zyrox

I wonder if, with the trainers now appearing in battle, the Pokémon are true to scale again like in all the non Gamefreak 3D Pokémon games. Them not being true to scale bothered me greatly in X/Y. I loved to summon huge beasts in PBR and have them fight each other. Hopefully SuMo brings that back. Give me my triple Wailord v. Wailord battle GF.

Top Bottom