• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 3 |OT| The Splatening

Tams

Gold Member
Current Event

Splatfest

Who would be the best friend? (Zombie vs. Skeleton vs. Ghost)

27th/28th October - 29th/30th October - JP 9:00 Aus 10:00 GMT (UTC) 0:00 PT 17:00

UKGaffers: 1 a.m. as the clocks won't have gone back yet.

splatoon-3-deep-cut-splatfest.large.jpg

Don't forget to get your conch shells!

You can earn conch shells in the week leading up to the Splatfest. You earn conch shells by levelling up your catalogue.
You can do this by playing any mode (battles or Salmon Run). The winning team is the team that gets most conch shells, and gets 10p for the Splatfest.

You need to choose a team first.

Splatfest Basics
  • There was a 'Sneak Peek' that was based on the number of collected Conch Shells. Team Fun won. It is not clear if this will be done for future Splatfests.
  • Splatfests are Turf War only.
  • There are 'Open' and 'Pro' battles
    • 'Open' allows for teams and you can stay on the same team.
    • 'Pro' is solo only and teams are mixed after each match.
  • The points you earn for your team are called 'Cloat'
    • You gain Cloat even if you lose in Open Battle
    • You only gain Clout if you win in Pro Battle
  • The winning team of 'Open' gets 15 points.
  • The winning team of 'Pro' gets 10 points.
  • At half-time, the currently winning team may get put into Tricolor Turf War matches (4v2v2).
  • There are x10, x100, and x333 matches.
    • You can increase your chances of getting into these matches by winning them.
      • Winning these matches gives you a Festival Shell - the more you have; the greater your chance of getting a bonus match.

First Expansion Pass announced! Inkopolis/Side Order

splucky1840.jpg

Price: 3,000円/£22.49/$24.99

Contents:

Inkopolis

• Option to go to the previous games' hub world, including during events.
  • Releasing this spring.
  • Paid DLC.
  • Part 1 of 2.
Side Order
  • ??? - seems to be something to do with the Octolings...
  • Releasing this summer.
  • Paid DLC
  • Part 2 of 2.
FoesvnzacAE7S2b

Which flavour of ice cream is the best?

FzJvyccWAAEV-Pz

FzJ1Rf3WwAIZo8F

Splatoon x Zelda

Which do you seek?

FtrhKm7WYAcGCR_

FtrhLKOXwAAkJ_c

FtraWHIacAADj8K

Big Run

2nd/3rd January - 5th/6th January. Same times as usual.

FqVHzviagAA7nLT

FqQWf8EaMAAEm-y

Splatfest

Which of these is real?

FrV9H8eXsAA6RRy

01.jpg

What's your favourite chocolate?

10th/11th January - 12th/13th January. Same times as usual.

Splatfest0223_signboard_chcolate_EN.jpg

01.jpg

What's your favourite taste sensation?

6th/7th January - 8th/9th January. Same times as usual.

FkGrxP6XgAAxTbm

FkA5oETaUAUPQyC

Big Run
A special Grizzco Salmon Run. Collect as many eggs as you can in a single match.

1840Splatoon3-Big-Run-2.png

Splatoon x Pokémon

🎉🥳CONGRATULATIONS Team Water!🥳🎉

16x9_NSwitch_PokemonSplatfest_EU.jpg

Region/Time ZoneStart TimeEnd Time
GMT (UK - DST over)1 a.m. 12th1 a.m. 14th
JST - Japan9 a.m. 12th9 a.m. 14th
America/PT4 p.m. 11th4 p.m. 13th
America/ET7 p.m. 11th7 p.m. 13th
Asia Pacific (Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea)8 a.m. 12th (assumed)8 a.m. 14th (assumed)
Australia/New Zealand - AEST?- also need to account for DST?10 a.m. 12th (assumed)10 a.m. 14th (assumed)

Teams: Grass (Shiver), Fire (Frye), Water (Big Man).

01.jpg

Translation: "Which type of starter would you choose?"

Note:
There was a 'Splatfest Sneak Peak' last Splatfest. As you can earn conch shells now, it seems it's happening this time too.

Deep Cut Concert and New Horizons DJ K.K. Paradise Mix!!
in Japanese only

9th October 6:30 p.m. JST (9:30 a.m. GMT/2 a.m. PT)

First Splatfest 11/12 (Fri.) – 11/14 (Mon.) - Results

Winner: Team Gear (Shiver)

🎉🥳CONGRATULATIONS Team Gear!🥳🎉

FdjCf3WXkAITXlt

First Splatfest 9/23 (Fri.) – 9/25 (Sun.)

Deserted Island

1840x1035_Splatfest_1_EN-v2.png

Region/Time ZoneStart TimeEnd Time
The Americas/PT05:00pm 23rd05:00pm 25th
GMT00:00am 24th00:00am 26th
Hong Kong/Taiwan08:00am 24th08:00am 26th
Japan/JST09:00am 24th09:00am 26th
Australia/AEST10:00am 24th10:00am 26th

Shamelessly stolen from r/splatoon.

Good luck!

Go Team Solo!

Last edited:
You misspelled Clout, mate. But otherwise great thread.

I chose Gear as Shiver is best girl and Gear is the objectively correct choice.

Also as a quick warning for folks - Switch your region to Japan. It gets rid of the asinine, retarded as fuck “art” banners from the US.

Lasha

I'm on team fun. I've not seen a single tricolor match since halftime. I think Gear is way overpopulated.

Lasha

I'm finished. I've done my part for team fun. Does pro clout count for more? I've got around 80k in pro and 60k in regular.

Tams

Gold Member
I've had one tricolor battle. You have to play in open though, which I can't stand. To make it worse, it was on Hammerhead Bridge, and Team Fun had a good sniper. We didn't stand a chance.

Did just squeak past a team in open though as a bunch of randoms. Felt pretty good.

You misspelled Clout, mate. But otherwise great thread.

Thanks. I always make typos and my hands are tired from too much Splatoon.

Tams

Gold Member
I'm finished. I've done my part for team fun. Does pro clout count for more? I've got around 80k in pro and 60k in regular.
As mentioned in the OP, Open and Pro are different leagues/categories. Winning open gets your team 15 points, and winning Pro gets 10 points. The Clout pools are separate.

It's looking like you might clean sweep this. Well, Grub don't stand a chance at least. Dammit, should have gone with my head, not my heart.

Lasha

I've had one tricolor battle. You have to play in open though, which I can't stand. To make it worse, it was on Hammerhead Bridge, and Team Fun had a good sniper. We didn't stand a chance.

Did just squeak past a team in open though as a bunch of randoms. Felt pretty good.

Thanks. I always make typos and my hands are tired from too much Splatoon.
I did not have a single tricolor battle. 90% was team gear matches.

Lasha

As mentioned in the OP, Open and Pro are different leagues/categories. Winning open gets your team 15 points, and winning Pro gets 10 points. The Clout pools are separate.

It's looking like you might clean sweep this. Well, Grub don't stand a chance at least. Dammit, should have gone with my head, not my heart.

The secret is to always bet on fun. You win regardless of the result! My highest win streak was like 12 in open and 8 in regular. The games became much tighter after hitting "ruler" because I guess thats where the bulk of the hardcore Gear kids are.

Tams

Gold Member
The secret is to always bet on fun. You win regardless of the result! My highest win streak was like 12 in open and 8 in regular. The games became much tighter after hitting "ruler" because I guess thats where the bulk of the hardcore Gear kids are.

I chose Big Man for the Test Fire, and we got pipped at the end by Shiver. Frye is just not that popular. Well, that seems to be the trend at least. I hope it ends up being what each theme is about, but I suspect that people are mostly going to choose teams based on the mascots/leaders.

Lasha

I chose Big Man for the Test Fire, and we got pipped at the end by Shiver. Frye is just not that popular. Well, that seems to be the trend at least. I hope it ends up being what each theme is about, but I suspect that people are mostly going to choose teams based on the mascots/leaders.
Ah yeah. People always choose based on thirst. I generally pick by the theme but it doesn't hurt that Big Man is a tasty snack.

The_hunter

team gear had 60% of players, team gear wins by 5 points. We almost won team fun, even if we were outnumbered 3 to 1

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Swim speed up as a main ability really is a necessity for anything but the long-ranged weapons (and even then it's useful). The speed boost is insane.

Finally beat Cohozuna. If you have a high damage weapon like .92 gal or blobber then just fire on him directly the entire time. The rest of the team kill other enemies for eggs. And everyone has to be good and not get wrecked.

John Bilbo

10 communication errors in a row. Literally can't play.
The other day I didn't realize at first, but I had zero communication errors the whole play session.

Then the next day I had at least five or six and two of them in a row.

I hope there is something they can do to fix the issues. I think in Splatoon 2 the issues were not as obnoxious.

Tams

Gold Member
Bumping as a reminder that the next Splatfest is next weekend.

Classic Pokémon starter types is the theme.

Bear in mind that last Splatfest there was a 'Splatfest Sneak Peak' that gave points to the team that collected the most conch shells from raising your catalog level. You need to choose a team first.

"The period between announcement and the first match is the Splatfest Sneak Peek. During this time, cast your vote, and then raise your catalog level by battling and working shifts. You'll receive conch shells this way.

The number of conch shells collected by your Splatfest team during the Sneak Peek will actually impact the final results. Even if you can't attend the actual event, you can help out your team by gathering conch shells during the Sneak Peek."

John Bilbo

Tricolor battle as it works now is the most fun I've had in this game for a while! It's a good combination of turf war and more competitive ranked-like game mode.

I wish this game mode will be more accessible in the future as I'd like to play it more frequently.

Tams

Gold Member
Tricolor battle as it works now is the most fun I've had in this game for a while! It's a good combination of turf war and more competitive ranked-like game mode.

I wish this game mode will be more accessible in the future as I'd like to play it more frequently.
3 - 3 - 6 (on bigger maps) would be nicer though.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I wish there was a demo for this as I’ve always wanted to try Splatoon. I hear that the game isn’t worth buying just for the single player mode, but then it also never goes on sale. :(

Tams

Gold Member
I wish there was a demo for this as I’ve always wanted to try Splatoon. I hear that the game isn’t worth buying just for the single player mode, but then it also never goes on sale. :(

Depends what you consider worth it.

The single player is fleshed out and interesting. But it is also really just a series of levels with somewhat increasing diversity, with a story to it. It's quite short.

You could always pick up 2 cheap, likely used. That also has the luxury of the Octopass Expansion, so there's more single player content even if it is mostly just more levels and simple story. It's pretty much the same game.

TuFaN

They were on sale just recently, or am I mistaken?

The_hunter

I've picked up the game again, after a bit of an initial learning curve, the game has finally started to click and I'm really enjoying the multiplayer. Positioning and game sense are really different from your typical shooter.

I've hit level 30, I've grown fond of the regular slosher and the splattershot. Some advice for other new players, I've found 'ranked series' mode to be the most balanced matchmaking mode, it's the solo ranked que of this game.

I also really enjoy the game as it's the only multiplayer game without FOMO battlepass mechanics, so I can jump in once in a while and enjoy it at my own pace.

Tams

Gold Member
I've picked up the game again, after a bit of an initial learning curve, the game has finally started to click and I'm really enjoying the multiplayer. Positioning and game sense are really different from your typical shooter.

I've hit level 30, I've grown fond of the regular slosher and the splattershot. Some advice for other new players, I've found 'ranked series' mode to be the most balanced matchmaking mode, it's the solo ranked que of this game.

I also really enjoy the game as it's the only multiplayer game without FOMO battlepass mechanics, so I can jump in once in a while and enjoy it at my own pace.

Welcome back.

Yeah, I really like the lack of FOMO. There's a little bit with the Splatfests, but they aren't frequent and don't offer much in terms of rewards.

I just came back from a break since the last Splatfest as I wore myself out in that. Had a fun two games - being able to dip in for 10 mins like that is great.

Gloomnivore

The catalogue pretty is a battle pass that you need to complete every season if you want everything in it. That said, I haven’t played much this season and I’m not going to force myself to do so just for an emote or something. It really is the bane of modern gaming.

Top Bottom