• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 3 |OT| The Splatening

Tams

5GxqSmI.png

NeoGAF pool? I might check it out

'NeoGAF' pool should be up and running. Not that there's anything to do but type it in.

Nydius

I went with team Bigfoot because I live in SE Oklahoma where Bigfoot lore is everywhere. Figured since I didn't really care either way, I'd rep my region and their insistence that there's Sasquatch in the Ouachita National Forest.

Last edited:

Nydius

New (and totally unpredictable /s) Zelda x Splatoon crossover Splatfest announced.

Tricolor battle will be on a Triforce shaped version of Scorch Gorge.

I'm all in on Team Wisdom which means I'll end up in third place just like I did with Team Bigfoot. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ed: Like the Mario crossover from Splatoon 2, there will be official t-shirts for all three teams (Wisdom shown) available to buy, if you're into spending that much on a themed t-shirt. And like the Pokemon x Splatoon crossover, the MyNintendo rewards will offer themed keyrings for Platinum Points.

XCrpc6l.jpg

Just finished the Fresh Season catalog so I may only play for this Splatfest.
Too many other games coming out over the next two months.
But at least now my Inkling looks as goofy and awkward as I did at 15!

Last edited:

Nydius

Getting a Link shirt.
Same. I decided to go with Team Courage since I'm more inclined to seek courage than wisdom.

I got a tad bored tonight and isolated the splat patterns from the shirts, turning them into transparent PNGs, if anyone wants them as avatars.

Late Edit, 28 April: I just got my shirt in the mail and I'm ... Well, I don't want to say unhappy but I probably won't wear it much. The screen printing is of mediocre quality and I don't think it would withstand repeat wearing and washing without falling apart quickly. I'll probably wear it once and wash it once and then hang it up as a display piece.

Qxl627w.png

Ifzw8xP.png

5pHJmhG.png

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Same. I decided to go with Team Courage since I'm more inclined to seek courage than wisdom.

I got a tad bored tonight and isolated the splat patterns from the shirts, turning them into transparent PNGs, if anyone wants them as avatars.

Qxl627w.png

Ifzw8xP.png

5pHJmhG.png
Hell yeah! I'll bust this out next weekend

Nydius

I’m pretty sure Team Courage is the least popular team.

We were dead last in the conch shells preview and in three hours of playing I never got a courage vs courage match. I’ve played Wisdom mostly, looking at my Splatnet3 match history, it’s been a near 3:1 ratio between Wisdom and Power matches.

Also pretty sure we’re the least popular because matchmaking either goes REALLY fast (I’m talking getting matches in 20 seconds or less), or it goes a while and crashes with this error (screenshot below). I have never seen that message before tonight and have seen it 5 times tonight alone.

So I guess congrats Team Power? Based on the way things went last time with the new scoring, that’s who I expect will win.

sgpo1ao.jpg

Last edited:

Tams

I’m pretty sure Team Courage is the least popular team.

We were dead last in the conch shells preview and in three hours of playing I never got a courage vs courage match. I’ve played Wisdom mostly, looking at my Splatnet3 match history, it’s been a near 3:1 ratio between Wisdom and Power matches.

Also pretty sure we’re the least popular because matchmaking either goes REALLY fast (I’m talking getting matches in 20 seconds or less), or it goes a while and crashes with this error (screenshot below). I have never seen that message before tonight and have seen it 5 times tonight alone.

So I guess congrats Team Power? Based on the way things went last time with the new scoring, that’s who I expect will win.

sgpo1ao.jpg

Nintendo's poor matchmaking aside, I think the whole three teams for the Splatfests just doesn't work very well.

I would like it, four teams even, outside of Splatfests.

Nydius

Nintendo's poor matchmaking aside, I think the whole three teams for the Splatfests just doesn't work very well.

I would like it, four teams even, outside of Splatfests.
Agreed. I don’t think this three team idea works very well, nor do I think Tricolor matches are very enjoyable because we go from a very basic mode (Turf War) to an objective mode, and the 4 players split from the two other teams can screw each other over easily.

I posted about this on the Splatoon subreddit way back when the game launched: If the original Xbox on the then new Xbox Live service could handle Halo 2 multI-team (4 groups of 3), I genuinely don’t understand why Splatoon 3, even on the lackluster NSO, couldn’t have a 3 teams of 2 (or 4) Turf War mode that lasts only 24 hours once every other month. They’d just need to make the effort to create bespoke maps for the mode. They had no problem doing that with Shifty Stations in Splat2. 🤷‍♂️

Tams

Agreed. I don’t think this three team idea works very well, nor do I think Tricolor matches are very enjoyable because we go from a very basic mode (Turf War) to an objective mode, and the 4 players split from the two other teams can screw each other over easily.

I posted about this on the Splatoon subreddit way back when the game launched: If the original Xbox on the then new Xbox Live service could handle Halo 2 multI-team (4 groups of 3), I genuinely don’t understand why Splatoon 3, even on the lackluster NSO, couldn’t have a 3 teams of 2 (or 4) Turf War mode that lasts only 24 hours once every other month. They’d just need to make the effort to create bespoke maps for the mode. They had no problem doing that with Shifty Stations in Splat2. 🤷‍♂️

Another issue is often almost only competing against one of the other teams. It's happened every Splatfest now and it's gotten old. So it's not even just Tri-colour, but rather the number of teams in general.

The issue is three or more teams exponentially complicates it. With two, you're either one team or the other. There are just less variables to go wrong.

They've leant heavily on the three lead characters though, and gotten some people very (far too) emotionally invested in them. So I don't see them going back to two teams. They could add a new character though, which might help balance things out a bit... (maybe 2 teams v 2 teams).

Last edited:

Nydius

Little bit of salt:

This triforce tricolor map SUCKS.

No vertical walls, massive uninkable surfaces on the three sides of the center pyramid, all three spawns are easily reached by a competent eLiter user from the top of the pyramid, bumpers that promote corner spawn camping with ninja squid, wide open areas that make abilities like squid beacon or angle shooter worthless, and less inkable turf than Mahi-Mahi Resort.

It’s just a meat grinder at the top of the pyramid unless you are getting spawned camped by corner camping rollers or blasters. This has been the least fun tricolor map I’ve played.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

Little bit of salt:

This triforce tricolor map SUCKS.

No vertical walls, massive uninkable surfaces on the three sides of the center pyramid, all three spawns are easily reached by a competent eLiter user from the top of the pyramid, bumpers that promote corner spawn camping with ninja squid, wide open areas that make abilities like squid beacon or angle shooter worthless, and less inkable turf than Mahi-Mahi Resort.

It’s just a meat grinder at the top of the pyramid unless you are getting spawned camped by corner camping rollers or blasters. This has been the least fun tricolor map I’ve played.
Yeah it's not good. Ok cool it looks like a triforce but as a map it sucks.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Not going to max my rank this time but still is fun as always. Best shooter series for me by a mile.

I do agree some of the part 3 level design is just not as good. My main gripe with part 3. I think I rank the maps in order of release. 1, 2, 3. Tricolor battles don't do anything for me either.

Nydius

I do agree some of the part 3 level design is just not as good. My main gripe with part 3.
Same, and it's my biggest contributing factor to burnout. Maps in 1 and 2 had lots of verticality, flanking routes, ways to get away from battles if you needed to. Maps like Kelp Dome and Camp Triggerfish were lovely. In 3, they've shrunk all the maps in size and basically turned them all into two or three "lane" maps that funnel everyone to mid where it becomes a zerg rush. And if you lose mid, well, enjoy being pinned back at your base. I don't mind that, if I'm playing splatzones or tower control where it's intended but every map and mode plays this way. And then they drop remakes like Flounder Heights and purposely block off old vertical pathways...?

People complain about the various kits but I don't have much problem with any of them, even the meta ones.
It's the maps that make these kits overly strong (or weak, depending).

I really don't know what's happened to their map design team but these can't be the same people that gave us the maps in 1/2 or Shifty Stations.

This is probably the last Splatfest where I'll bother reaching Ruler level. I'll play the future ones. Barring some stellar new maps being added that make me want to play them, I really only have the patience to grind up to Champion anymore.

Last edited:

Nydius

Gee, Shiver’s team was the most popular by a significant margin and basically won from the very beginning? I’m so shocked. /s

At this point I feel like it’s pointless to care about the theme, just vote for Shiver. Chances are you’ll win.

If they gave us alternate ways to earn sea snails, I don’t even know if I’d bother with splatfests anymore. They feel like an utter waste of time.
7BEklnM.jpg

Remember a couple patches ago when they put this in the notes?

k2TFFw6.png

Since those patch notes there’s been two Splatfests and the team up at halftime won (Nessie and Power).

Last edited:

Tams

Same, and it's my biggest contributing factor to burnout. Maps in 1 and 2 had lots of verticality, flanking routes, ways to get away from battles if you needed to. Maps like Kelp Dome and Camp Triggerfish were lovely. In 3, they've shrunk all the maps in size and basically turned them all into two or three "lane" maps that funnel everyone to mid where it becomes a zerg rush. And if you lose mid, well, enjoy being pinned back at your base. I don't mind that, if I'm playing splatzones or tower control where it's intended but every map and mode plays this way. And then they drop remakes like Flounder Heights and purposely block off old vertical pathways...?

People complain about the various kits but I don't have much problem with any of them, even the meta ones.
It's the maps that make these kits overly strong (or weak, depending).

I really don't know what's happened to their map design team but these can't be the same people that gave us the maps in 1/2 or Shifty Stations.

This is probably the last Splatfest where I'll bother reaching Ruler level. I'll play the future ones. Barring some stellar new maps being added that make me want to play them, I really only have the patience to grind up to Champion anymore.

People. People complained about verticality, do they pretty much nuked it.

Now we just get the same style maps, but with worse design. Splatoon 3's Hammerhead Bridge should never have been released.

I love the game, but in the map design it has gotten worse each game. The three teams for Splatfests was a mistake too.

Last edited:

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
One thing I would love they change is just throw all maps in rotation, I'm tired of doing the same map again and again when the randomness only make you play one of the two maps. I don't play all day long to play many maps, I try to start playing near a map change so I can at least get more than 2 maps in rotation.

With Splatoon 3 and three teams they could at least introduce 3 maps in rotation for more variety, like when there was the Shifty Station in Splatoon 2 during Splatfests, but no, they stuck with 2 maps, and made it worse during Splatfest as Shifty Stations are not a thing anymore. The only way to have a "third" map is to play Tri-color battles, but then you play on only one map in this mode.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I cannot win a splat fest. Whoever wants advice on what teams not to choose just follow my lead

Tams

I cannot win a splat fest. Whoever wants advice on what teams not to choose just follow my lead

Shiver's team will likely win, Big Man's second (often chosen by veterans/sweats), and Frye's last. Unless something very popular is chosen for Frye or Big Man, in which case that team will probably win.

Nydius

Shiver's team will likely win, Big Man's second (often chosen by veterans/sweats), and Frye's last.
Pretty much.

Looked up the Splatfest history in Splatnet 3:

Shiver won three (Gear, Nessie, Power), Big Man won two (Water, White Chocolate), Frye won one (Sweet). Out of the six, three were complete sweeps where the other teams had no chance (Water, White Chocolate, and Power).

I still have some, shall we say, thoughts about the chocolate splatfest. They skew a bit conspiracy theory-ish but white chocolate is demonstrably the least popular form of chocolate worldwide, accounting for only 10-12% of chocolate sales, so either a whole lot of people wanted to run around using jizz colored ink or there was some, erm, racial overtones in the voting (white vs brown vs black). Or both. Its the only things I can think of that make the massive popularity discrepancy in that splatfest make sense.

Tams

Pretty much.

Looked up the Splatfest history in Splatnet 3:

Shiver won three (Gear, Nessie, Power), Big Man won two (Water, White Chocolate), Frye won one (Sweet). Out of the six, three were complete sweeps where the other teams had no chance (Water, White Chocolate, and Power).

I still have some, shall we say, thoughts about the chocolate splatfest. They skew a bit conspiracy theory-ish but white chocolate is demonstrably the least popular form of chocolate worldwide, accounting for only 10-12% of chocolate sales, so either a whole lot of people wanted to run around using jizz colored ink or there was some, erm, racial overtones in the voting (white vs brown vs black). Or both. Its the only things I can think of that make the massive popularity discrepancy in that splatfest make sense.

White chocolate was Big Man, right?

As I said, I think Big Man is for some reason the choice of the pros/veterans/sweats.

While milk chocolate is absolutely the favourite, Frye is not, and dark chocolate is pretty popular and Shiver is the most popular character.

Due to the way things can work out, it may just be that the way people chose and who chose just worked out in favour of Big Man.

Anyway. Splatfests are pretty fucked for 3. They tried to spice it up and on the surface it seem a great idea. It's just not that fun to play though.

John Bilbo

Anyway. Splatfests are pretty fucked for 3. They tried to spice it up and on the surface it seem a great idea. It's just not that fun to play though.
Yeah the fests don't feel as special without the shifty stations even though they added the new game mode. Shame really

Tams

Uggh, and Vanilla have it.

It's boring how one-sided these get. Albeit this one seems almost equally split.

I don't think the x100 and x333 matches help. To counter that, well... you either win one of them or you simply just can't.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I was on team vanilla and I feel like I lost 85% of my matches lol. I still had a great time at my first splat-fest though and got the “vanilla ruler” title.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
How often do splatfests happen? This was a lot of fun!
It depends, it can be every month or every couple of months.

From the Nintendo Online app :
- September 24 2022
- November 12 2022 (Pokémon special)
- January 07 2023
- February 11 2023
- April 01 2023
- May 06 2023 (Zelda special)
- July 15 2023

Usually the other months without Splatfest we get Salmon Run Big Run I think.

So next one will either be in August or September.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Finally hit lv 30 and got the big locker. Just one level to go until I hit Fame Ruler.
I've noticed that it's much harder to win matches during splatfests but I guess more people join in and the level of competition just rises.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

Finally hit lv 30 and got the big locker. Just one level to go until I hit Fame Ruler.
I've noticed that it's much harder to win matches during splatfests but I guess more people join in and the level of competition just rises.
During splatfests one cannot play ranked modes so all the top active competitive players play turf war with everyone else.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I was able to hit catalog level 100 today and max it out. I've pretty much done everything I wanted to do now except that I never got the Frye Fan title that I wanted. I guess I'll take a break now until the next splatfest.

Top Bottom