• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 3 Direct Announced for 10/08

Tg89

Sure, but it doesn't seem like they're managing the IP right.

If it was a game as a service, they could make those changes in the base game as well.

Some of them are.

Remember that in Splatoon the single player campaign is an extra. In a lot of shooters new campaign=new game, but I wouldn't agree in this case. That's not where the meat is.

People really overestimate the viability of games as a service. Not every game can just be a GaaS and succeed to the level of being able to make overhauling changes like Fortnite.

The reality is that Splatoon 2 came out 5 years ago, was supported well into its lifecycle and received a pretty meaty expansion at that. In a world of shooter franchises with annual/bi annual entries that are far more cut/paste than this is, I don't really get the criticism. Even if it was GaaS, you're basically paying $140 for the content of 2+3. Not sure you come out cheaper than that over a 5 year span if they were to go the GaaS model.

Not sure on the SP take. Splatoon 2 single player was incredibly well done and in fact quite a bit different than the multiplayer loop. If anything I'd say Splatoon is one of the least tacked on examples of a campaign (in terms of shooters where multiplayer is the main hook).

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Splatoon 2 single player was incredibly well done and in fact quite a bit different than the multiplayer loop. If anything I'd say Splatoon is one of the least tacked on examples of a campaign (in terms of shooters where multiplayer is the main hook).
Seriously. It has intricate platforming and multiple boss fights. Most shooters have zero bosses except for Halo Infinite.

People who want to criticize the game for being too similar to the previous ones, I think that's a fair criticism for sure. But for games like Street Fighter, or Splatoon - where there's people that play it almost every day for years, the fan base is going to be extremely excited for it.

Splatoon is a weird edge case for Nintendo. Splatoon was basically the only Wii U game that didn't get just a straight port like Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong, etc. Instead they made Splatoon 2 very quickly near the system launch, and input a ton of the same assets, stages, and content and then built it out. In that sense, Splatoon 3 is kind of the first direct sequel and it is still very similar. But you guys may have noticed that it says that this is the conclusion of the saga. Whatever comes next I expect will be a more substantial jump.

People who don't find it worth it, its a fine viewpoint to have. I'm all in though and will likely play this every day for 2-3 years. The Octopath Expansion was 100% worth it as well.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Looked great, kinda wish we would have gotten to see a bit more of the campaign though. Hope it’s as good as the previous ones. But I guess I should be happy there wasn’t any spoilers.

Kinda curious that they mentioned this would be “the epic finale of the Splatoon saga” though. Not sure how to interpret that.

I like all the multiplayer changes. Three Splatfest teams will be interesting.

This is a day one purchase for sure. Can’t wait to get back to playing some Splatfests.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

Quite a bit of new content right there. Looks promising, except for the framerate drops in Salmon Run.

The card game could be a pretty sweet time sink between matches / while waiting for friends if it is supported with consistent updates as well.

Kabelly

Sure, but it doesn't seem like they're managing the IP right.

If it was a game as a service, they could make those changes in the base game as well.

Some of them are.

Remember that in Splatoon the single player campaign is an extra. In a lot of shooters new campaign=new game, but I wouldn't agree in this case. That's not where the meat is.
Are you implying people play COD or Battlefield for the story?

So far your arguments have amounted to all the new things Splatoon 3 has, LIKE a brand new story mode, don't count.

There are fundamental gameplay changes.
And you mention games as a service. You probably spend more money on those free to play games than this one time $60 purchase.
We can dance in circles but I'll be fine paying for this expansion :kanyeshrug:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Quite a bit of new content right there. Looks promising, except for the framerate drops in Salmon Run.

The card game could be a pretty sweet time sink between matches / while waiting for friends if it is supported with consistent updates as well.
It probably wont. Part 2 had a dance mini-game thing that was fun for a bit. This looks much better, but will likely just be a small side activity. I'm mostly looking forward to the art on all the cards.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So is salmon run still limited to specific times then? If so that sucks... I know the new mega event invasion thing sounds limited but half the time when it's running I'm not available to play.

jaysius

Banned
So is salmon run still limited to specific times then? If so that sucks... I know the new mega event invasion thing sounds limited but half the time when it's running I'm not available to play.
Yup, they treat the entire playerbase like a bunch of fucking kids, the map rotation is the slowest in any game with it rotation every day or half a day or some stupid shit. Don't like the map played right now? The only solution is not to play, there isn't even a map voting system.

Don't worry there is a mob ready to defend this shitty gating of content.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Jesus this thing looks FUGLY. The Switch is really holding back it's possible fidelity.

The new weapons look interesting. It's a shame Nintendo doesn't believe in real sales on their products.

It's a shame that the same boring painful grind of obtaining random modifiers for your time and performance is the meta they've chosen yet again.

This will probably have just as many glitchers and shitty idlers that ruin the game.

This should have been a perk for Nintendo Online Expansion.

It's really just an expansion on Splatoon 2.
Man eat some breakfast

Are you implying people play COD or Battlefield for the story?
I do.

Not interested in the multiplayer for those games. I wouldn't say I'm the majority, but there are certainly more people like that than people buying Splatoon to play offline.
There are fundamental gameplay changes.
And you mention games as a service. You probably spend more money on those free to play games than this one time $60 purchase.
We can dance in circles but I'll be fine paying for this expansion :kanyeshrug:
You're the target public for it then.

The way I see it it's a sequel that could be an expansion possibly released at the tail-end of the system lifespan behind a online paywall and that will probably decrease it's sales and interest.

I loved Splatoon 1, but being released at the tail-end of the Wii U lifespan didn't help to it's longevity but at least online was free back then or adoption would be way lower than it was.

I can respect the points you did, and can even concede I might be wrong in some of them, but I just don't agree with the big picture.

Tams

Jesus this thing looks FUGLY. The Switch is really holding back it's possible fidelity.

The new weapons look interesting. It's a shame Nintendo doesn't believe in real sales on their products.

It's a shame that the same boring painful grind of obtaining random modifiers for your time and performance is the meta they've chosen yet again.

This will probably have just as many glitchers and shitty idlers that ruin the game.

This should have been a perk for Nintendo Online Expansion.

It's really just an expansion on Splatoon 2.
You're right. They should go balls in. PTW, $100,000 possible in microtransactions. Drops of exclusive clothes, with limited amounts; tradeable as NFTS. Super rare weapon attachments that give you 200% attack with undisclosed odds in booster packs. TAKE NO HOSTAGES NINTENDOG!

blacktout

You're right. They should go balls in. PTW, $100,000 possible in microtransactions. Drops of exclusive clothes, with limited amounts; tradeable as NFTS. Super rare weapon attachments that give you 200% attack with undisclosed odds in booster packs. TAKE NO HOSTAGES NINTENDOG!

Yeah, it's fucking bewildering that you have people on here arguing that Splatoon should go the GaaS route, when that just guarantees all the predatory bullshit people (rightly) bitch about in threads for essentially every other multiplayer-focused game in existence. Listen, I'd love to see a major evolution of the Splatoon formula too, but if that's off the table, I'd much rather an iterative sequel that I can just buy straight up with some optional DLC (that hopefully will be included with the Switch Online Expansion Pack) than have items and progression gated behind three different currency systems that are designed to exploit whales and make playing the game without spending on microtranscations as onerous as possible.

Last edited:

Tams

Yeah, it's fucking bewildering that you have people on here arguing that Splatoon should go the GaaS route, when that just guarantees all the predatory bullshit people (rightly) bitch about in threads for essentially every other multiplayer-focused game in existence. Listen, I'd love to see a major evolution of the Splatoon formula too, but if that's off the table, I'd much rather an iterative sequel that I can just buy straight up with some optional DLC (that hopefully will be included with the Switch Online Expansion Pack) than have items and progression gated behind three different currency systems that are designed to exploit whales and make playing the game without spending on microtranscations as onerous as possible.
I don't know why they even care about it. There are plenty of games out there that have what they want. I suppose they like the theme and core game mechanics? Well, I mean, tough fucking luck. Some of us would have liked that for years, putting up with themes we liked in otherwise bad (in our opinion) games, and eventually got Splatoon.

I do think they are considering something else in five or so years as they did say this is the final part. That will be on the next Nintendo console though if there is more, so who knows what's in store there? I assume that the developers know what Nintendo's hardware division are working on.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
With the shitty amount of grinding they make you do just to get a RANDOM usually shitty modifier on your clothing, they're almost already there, minus the FREE part.

Timers on even the MAPS allowing the paying customer to ONLY PLAY the 2 maps they've chosen for a timed period, usually 6 hours or more? That's another F2P mechanic right there.

Also the shitty plastic cheat codes of Amiboos which can give you "FREE SECRET ITEMS" it's almost already there.

You're acting sarcastic, but you're only clowning yourself.

Last edited:

Tams

With the shitty amount of grinding they make you do just to get a RANDOM usually shitty modifier on your clothing, they're almost already there, minus the FREE part.

Also the shitty plastic cheat codes of Amiboos which can give you "FREE SECRET ITEMS" it's almost already there.

You're acting sarcastic, but you're only clowning yourself.

I'm just sat here wondering why you even bother playing the game. You seem to not like it. Why make yourself miserable?

And I don't think you really get the clothing and modifier thing. None of it was really meant to give you much advantage in the first place, especially the sub abilities - hence the grind.

I just enjoy playing the game and don't bother with grinding. Well, I play a lot (when I do play) and just get the subs as I go, so it's not a grind to me.

Anyway, I don't like the difficulty of Dark Souls and the other games. I haven't gone into the Elden Ring thread and taken a dump on that game and said it should be easier though. Nor Halo, and gone and called it a shitty bouncy shooter.

Last edited:

blacktout

I don't know why they even care about it. There are plenty of games out there that have what they want. I suppose they like the theme and core game mechanics? Well, I mean, tough fucking luck. Some of us would have liked that for years, putting up with themes we liked in otherwise bad (in our opinion) games, and eventually got Splatoon.

I do think they are considering something else in five or so years as they did say this the final part. That will be on the next Nintendo console though if there is more, so who knows what's in store there? I assume that the developers know what Nintendo's hardware division are working on.

I'm ambivalent. On the one hand, Splatoon 2 was one of my favorite multiplayer games ever, so an iterative sequel that's just a refinement of the previous game with new maps, weapons, and customization options plus a new campaign is cool with me. As others have said, this is the formula that most shooter franchises follow and since the underlying gameplay is so good, it's not necessary to do anything else. I'm sold regardless.

On the other, the singleplayer campaign in Splatoon 2 was only OK, and I was hoping that this game would have a somewhat different approach, but it looks like they're sticking pretty closely to what they've done in the past (except for the Salmonid companion, who is adorable). It's not going to prevent me from getting the game, since the multiplayer is the core of the experience, but it's a mild disappointment.

Also: Big Man >> Pearl >>> Marina > Shiver >> Frye

jaysius

Banned
I'm just sat here wondering why you even bother playing the game. You seem to not like it. Why make yourself miserable?

And I don't think you really get the clothing and modifier thing. None of it was really meant to give you much advantage in the first place, especially the sub abilities - hence the grind.

I just enjoy playing the game and don't bother with grinding. Well, I play a lot (when I do play) and just get the subs as I go, so it's not a grind to me.

Anyway, I don't like the difficulty of Dark Souls and the other games. I haven't gone into the Elden Ring thread and taken a dump on that game and said it should be easier though. Nor Halo, and gone and called it a shitty bouncy shooter.
The actual gameplay is fun, I wanted something worth $80(CND), something that was newer and maybe added something fun to the formula, this isn't it, it's barely close. If you don't boost your clothes then you'll be completely fucked, don't act like the major meta of the game has no grounds on it.

Matches will be ruined by 0p idlers that just idle to get the incremental boost to the gear grind, and receive no punishment for it. People glitch all over the place in the game and Nintendo's system for checking it is just as well not there.

Also the glaring issue that it's all P2P so there's HOST ADVANTAGE and nobody is using that sorry old shit for a game that they're making users PAY for and for a SERVICE they have to pay for.

Reactions: RNG

blacktout

Excuse me, but I think you'll find the correct order is:

Big Man > Pearl > Marie > Callie > Shiver > Marina >>>>>>>>>>>>> Frye

Poor Frye.

I didn't play the first game, but if I had to rank Callie and Marie, I think they would be after Shiver and before Frye.

Poor Frye indeed. Hopefully she'll grow on me. I was ambivalent about Pearl at first and she became my favorite (pre-Big Man), so who knows.

Astral Dog

I do.

Not interested in the multiplayer for those games. I wouldn't say I'm the majority, but there are certainly more people like that than people buying Splatoon to play offline.

You're the target public for it then.

The way I see it it's a sequel that could be an expansion possibly released at the tail-end of the system lifespan behind a online paywall and that will probably decrease it's sales and interest.

I loved Splatoon 1, but being released at the tail-end of the Wii U lifespan didn't help to it's longevity but at least online was free back then or adoption would be way lower than it was.

I can respect the points you did, and can even concede I might be wrong in some of them, but I just don't agree with the big picture.
Im not super into multiplayer games, but timing shouldn't be an issue for Splatoon 3, there is still plenty of life in the Switch to support another game.

Like, you see how those Call of Dutys keep coming out? Splatoon 2 was launched on Switch's first year in the market, and had plenty of content added over years, if Nintendo thought they could develop enough content to justify another sequel in the same system, it makes sense business wise, and fans can look forward to a new game

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Also: Big Man >> Pearl >>> Marina > Shiver >> Frye
Excuse me, but I think you'll find the correct order is:

Big Man > Pearl > Marie > Callie > Shiver > Marina >>>>>>>>>>>>> Frye

Poor Frye.
Biggest of men > Marina > Marie > Shiver > Callie >>> Pearl >>>>>>> Frye

There seem to be someone at the design team that really enjoys putting very large foreheads on these characters. Pearl was bad, but Frye is just next level.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

There seem to be someone at the design team that really enjoys putting very large foreheads on these characters. Pearl was bad, but Frye is just next level.
Nintendo has a long tradition having top tier artists try and make extremely ugly NPCs, but stylized and well designed enough that it somehow works. See 50% of all Zelda NPCs. It's pretty hilarious and only they pull it off.

Robb

Gold Member
See 50% of all Zelda NPCs.
Definitely, wouldn’t be surprised if the same artist did this dude in BotW;
E4F4ccYVkAkeON-.jpg

I just feel the band NPC:s are pretty major characters in these games. You wouldn’t see a design like the above for Ganondorf for example.

Tams

At least we can agree on Big Man and Marie.

Marina that high though. Nuh uh.

Sojiro

Wasn't able to watch all of the direct until now, but man I am liking what I see. So glad they added gear load outs, that is a huge convenience. Also it looked like the map announcements might be played in a side window so you don't have to watch the same intro everytime you launch the game, which is very welcome. Very happy to see no fucking Moray Towers, and hope it doesn't come out in the later map additions (I really don't know why people love that map, it's ass IMO).

Couples things I didn't care for though, is the number of the maps on rotation. I have never minded having a map rotation, but I wish it were three maps and not two, like it is during splatfests.

And the other issue I have is the Nintendo phone online shit. First and foremost, reporting players had better be in game this time and not tied only to pulling out a phone to do it. Also, while I don't mind having the phone as a secondary option to checking various stats, I would like all of that to be in game as well (especially voice chat). Hoping they will be, but it seems like Nintendo still might have a lot of that behind the phone app which I am not a fan of.

Other than that, everything else looks great, I was sold on the bows when they were announced, (I guess now labeled stringers) and the splatanas look cool too even though I doubt I will use them, as I am not the biggest fan of the melee weapons in these games. And all the various extras in the hub will be nice additions. The card battle thing looked neat, not sure how much I will play it, but a fun distraction once in a while.

Also have to chime in on the order of the hosts, for me: Marina - Marie - Big Man - Callie - Shiver - Pearl - Frye. Frye looks.....odd as fucking shit, maybe she will grow on me? Not a huge fan of Shiver either, but thankfully big man is a boss so I at least like one of three new ones lol.

Last edited:

Tams

Wasn't able to watch all of the direct until now, but man I am liking what I see. So glad they added gear load outs, that is a huge convenience. Also it looked like the map announcements might be played in a side window so you don't have to watch the same intro everytime you launch the game, which is very welcome. Very happy to see no fucking Moray Towers, and hope it doesn't come out in the later map additions (I really don't know why people love that map, it's ass IMO).

Couples things I didn't care for though, is the number of the maps on rotation. I have never minded having a map rotation, but I wish it were three maps and not two, like it is during splatfests.

And the other issue I have is the Nintendo phone online shit. First and foremost, reporting players had better be in game this time and not tied only to pulling out a phone to do it. Also, while I don't mind having the phone as a secondary option to checking various stats, I would like all of that to be in game as well (especially voice chat). Hoping they will be, but it seems like Nintendo still might have a lot of that behind the phone app which I am not a fan of.

Other than that, everything else looks great, I was sold on the bows when they were announced, (I guess now labeled stringers) and the splatanas look cool too even though I doubt I will use them, as I am not the biggest fan of the melee weapons in these games. And all the various extras in the hub will be nice additions. The card battle thing looked neat, not sure how much I will play it, but a fun distraction once in a while.

Also have to chime in on the order of the hosts, for me: Marina - Marie - Big Man - Callie - Shiver - Pearl - Frye. Frye looks.....odd as fucking shit, maybe she will grow on me? Not a huge fan of Shiver either, but thankfully big man is a boss so I at least like one of three new ones lol.
Yeah, it really looks like they missed the mark on Frye.

They almost certainly won't but there's still the chance for them to improve her design... some corner of the Internet will already have a shrine to her though.

Astral Dog

Like, we know Splatoon 3 isn't gonna be the prettiest shooter around by a longshoot, but this reaction is so, so big, even back with Splatoon 1 i thought it looked fairly decent for what it was, smooth 60fps gameplay and good controls, the paint/ink effects work well and look fun, and at least the art is something different and unique than what you generally see in other FPS, simple but clean.

i get if you hate the character design or the artsyle, but i can't understand this reaction of JESUS CHRIST UGLIEST GAME I EVER SEEN!
no idea how you guys even managed to play on anything portable/ PS1/PS2/Wii/PS360 over the years without washing your eyes every day with bleach, its like some days i just don't get gamers 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

blacktout

People really overestimate the viability of games as a service. Not every game can just be a GaaS and succeed to the level of being able to make overhauling changes like Fortnite.

The reality is that Splatoon 2 came out 5 years ago, was supported well into its lifecycle and received a pretty meaty expansion at that. In a world of shooter franchises with annual/bi annual entries that are far more cut/paste than this is, I don't really get the criticism. Even if it was GaaS, you're basically paying $140 for the content of 2+3. Not sure you come out cheaper than that over a 5 year span if they were to go the GaaS model.

Not sure on the SP take. Splatoon 2 single player was incredibly well done and in fact quite a bit different than the multiplayer loop. If anything I'd say Splatoon is one of the least tacked on examples of a campaign (in terms of shooters where multiplayer is the main hook).
I never understood why the Spat 2 campaign was sorta disregarded by gamers ..I thought it was really solid and fun.

jaysius

Banned
i get if you hate the character design or the artsyle, but i can't understand this reaction of JESUS CHRIST UGLIEST GAME I EVER SEEN!
no idea how you guys even managed to play on anything portable/ PS1/PS2/Wii/PS360 over the years without washing your eyes every day with bleach, its like some days i just don't get gamers 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wow, this isn't how logic works either. This is incredible though, I guess it's art or something?

This isn't PS2 era, this is PS5 Series S|X era, back in the OLDER era we didn't see games with better fidelity, you see expectations change with the ages, and there are bars that we expect to be met now.

Sojiro

I never understood why the Spat 2 campaign was sorta disregarded by gamers ..I thought it was really solid and fun.
Absolutely agreed here. The campaign is damn good, and has a lot of unique and interesting ways to mix up the gameplay. The Octo expansion goes even harder in on the crazy levels and really has a lot of creative things going on, not to mention it is a legitimate challenge to complete it. The campaigns are seriously underrated.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Absolutely agreed here. The campaign is damn good, and has a lot of unique and interesting ways to mix up the gameplay. The Octo expansion goes even harder in on the crazy levels and really has a lot of creative things going on, not to mention it is a legitimate challenge to complete it. The campaigns are seriously underrated.
99% of it is just people shitting on it because its Nintendo.

Its the best shooter out there on almost every metric. Great campaign with varied gameplay, multiple bosses and in depth platforming. Best art style, and OST. Best controls for a console shooter with far more movement and precision aiming. Solid coop mode. Solid timed events and years of free updates. Tons of cosmetic items, emotes, and customization options all free. Old school paid expansion pack.

Its just haters.

Tams

99% of it is just people shitting on it because its Nintendo.

Its the best shooter out there on almost every metric. Great campaign with varied gameplay, multiple bosses and in depth platforming. Best art style, and OST. Best controls for a console shooter with far more movement and precision aiming. Solid coop mode. Solid timed events and years of free updates. Tons of cosmetic items, emotes, and customization options all free. Old school paid expansion pack.

Its just haters.
I just ignored our resident hater here. No idea why (if) he even plays the game.

Sojiro

I just ignored our resident hater here. No idea why (if) he even plays the game.
Can't imagine who that might be 😝. I have noticed that nothing that comes out on the switch is any good in their eyes. If it were me, I would cut my losses and invest in another platform, but what do I know 🤷.

Top Bottom