• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 3 Direct Announced for 10/08

Sojiro

The bow is ASS. Poor that. I think it needs to be able to hold a charge in squid form like chargers to make it more viable.

I've had no lag issues or disconnects yet, personally, but it sucks for people that are experiencing that.
I had the same impression with the bow when I first got my hands on it. But the more I use it, and get the nuances of it down, the more I am liking it. I do think allowing at least the first charge to persist for a few seconds (like the chargers get) while swimming would be very welcome. I will say pulling off a drop shot on someone behind cover is extremely gratifying.

So far I am really digging it, two of the new maps I have played are good, although I prefer eeltail to gorge. The new specials are great, and so happy to see sting ray and ink armor gone lol. Glad to see you can view your stats in game and not have to whip out the fucking phone to do it, music has been really great, even more than splat 1 (I prefer 1 over 2 in music). Both the bow and splatkana are fun to use and are nice additions. Another nice thing is all the customization there is, surprised the demo actually has some of it.

So far the biggest thing I am not a fan of is not being able to change weapons once you queue. That is a problem, especially if you want to coordinate an ideal team load out of weapons to use (like not having 4 backline weapons).

I really need to get adjusted to the new moves, but haven't been utilizing them much.
This was one of the games I was really looking forward to and I knew I would be down for more Splatoon. I think all the new additions justify the game, and don't get that Nintendo has to completely reinvent the wheel in order put out a sequel. Can't wait to dump hundreds of hours into a new Splatoon. Oh also, team scissors, snip snip baby!

Last edited:

Tams

Only took a out 5 minutes to get in here in Japan.

Loving it so far. There are plenty of new features that make it more fun. Though maybe it's because the propotion of sweats is lower.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Im into it. Just need the perfect weapon / sub combo which is not in here for the demo.

Graphics look better but the stage is so dark its a bit hard to tell which team people are on.

Sojiro

Only took a out 5 minutes to get in here in Japan.

Loving it so far. There are plenty of new features that make it more fun. Though maybe it's because the propotion of sweats is lower.
Yeah Turf will be safe from the high ranked players for a while as they all dive back in ranked right as it launches. I will live in ranked and never look back at turf wars (unless I am with family lol). Can't wait for some salmon runs though, that is damn fun too.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah Turf will be safe from the high ranked ayers for a while as they a dive back in ranked right as it launches. I will live in ranked and never look back at turf wars (unless I am with family lol). Can't wait for some salmon runs though, that is damn fun too.
Salmon Run is my top mode.

Sojiro

At first I started off hating the tri way turf, but I feel like I finally have the hang of it, and it's actually a lot of fun. It's nice there is an objective on it to centralize people into more confrontations, a good mix to the standard turf wars, although I get like 5 of them in a row at times lol.

Tams

Yeah Turf will be safe from the high ranked players for a while as they all dive back in ranked right as it launches. I will live in ranked and never look back at turf wars (unless I am with family lol). Can't wait for some salmon runs though, that is damn fun too.

The sweats here in Japan seem to have woken up and memorised the stages. No ranked to siphon some of them off either.

Kabelly

I had the same impression with the bow when I first got my hands on it. But the more I use it, and get the nuances of it down, the more I am liking it. I do think allowing at least the first charge to persist for a few seconds (like the chargers get) while swimming would be very welcome. I will say pulling off a drop shot on someone behind cover is extremely gratifying.

So far I am really digging it, two of the new maps I have played are good, although I prefer eeltail to gorge. The new specials are great, and so happy to see sting ray and ink armor gone lol. Glad to see you can view your stats in game and not have to whip out the fucking phone to do it, music has been really great, even more than splat 1 (I prefer 1 over 2 in music). Both the bow and splatkana are fun to use and are nice additions. Another nice thing is all the customization there is, surprised the demo actually has some of it.

So far the biggest thing I am not a fan of is not being able to change weapons once you queue. That is a problem, especially if you want to coordinate an ideal team load out of weapons to use (like not having 4 backline weapons).

I really need to get adjusted to the new moves, but haven't been utilizing them much.
This was one of the games I was really looking forward to and I knew I would be down for more Splatoon. I think all the new additions justify the game, and don't get that Nintendo has to completely reinvent the wheel in order put out a sequel. Can't wait to dump hundreds of hours into a new Splatoon. Oh also, team scissors, snip snip baby!
I think I was a victim of learning curve woes, but I changed my tune. I think these new weapons aren't good for turf war necessarily but they'll be pretty fun in ranked modes.

I got the hang of it a bit more and I didn't realize how much range the bow really has. Plus the little bombs that get shot out can get annoying for the enemies.

The specials are a lot of fun and they don't feel overbearingly broken. The crab is strong but you can still kill it. The vacuum is strong but you can also just go behind them and kill them too.

Personally speaking turf was is the most boring mode anyways so I'm excited to get back into the ranked modes and grind my time there. Plus salmon run. The music is great. The little UI details and touches are nice. Getting a wipeout is fun. The animations have a little more oomph to them. Ink Jet's explosion looks more intense.

Luna blaster with the zip caster is fun but I find that special lasts a little too short because of the time it takes to actual get to your destination.

All in all I'm ready to sweat it out in Splat3. I retired playing Splat2 almost a year ago because I just got bored after 1500 hours. Main Power Up was the biggest killer for me too. The game was fine before that was added.

CS Lurker

From my experience it felt exactly like Splatoon 2. Specially the tick rate.

Then I used Wireshark to analyze and it seems the tick rate is exactly the same as in Splatoon 2. Not that I'm surprised.

What really surprised me though was seeing other 7 IP's. Some were peer's IP, some were Google datacenters (server relay).

I thought NPLN was all about all players communicating only with one server relay and nothing more. Then the relays would communicate between them when necessary (like, if you had a lobby only with players in the US, you would have all of them communicating with just one relay. But if you had a lobby with US players and EU players (although Nintendo was really strict about the latency between players - something that is new from them and it's coming with the NPLN) then the US and the EU relays would make a bridge and exchange the packets. But that's not what is happening).

It seems like the use of the relay is strictly to help players with NAT issues (specially those in a CGNAT). They could have used the relay severs to lower the stress that p2p causes on the connections while also lowering the bandwidth used, which would enable them to increase the tick rate to 60Hz without having an unstable experience.

Well, that's why I always expect nothing. But people talked so much about this NPLN and relay servers that I really thought it would be something else, but...

Top Bottom