• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Post Season |OT| BYOB

MC Safety

No, just the head (Wilpons) stinks.

I mean, I'm not gonna put someone on my ignore list over a silly baseball thread, but you're a piece of work.

Yeah, it must be tough to disagree with someone.

So far, you've accused me of trolling, wanting to look cool, and demanded I stop calling your team the Mess. Oh, and you've threatened to internet shun me because I guess I hurt your feelings. I've been naught but polite to you.

Which of us is the piece of work?

It's not necessary to answer or to keep up this lack of dialogue.

MC Safety

I love watching Mets fans fight. The only disappointing part is one Mets fan wins.

Really, you should add to the discussion or refrain.

I think the trade in question was fair if the Mess dumped Jay Bruce and got Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz. Cano is old and getting older, he's failed a drug test, his contract is burdensome and, as a New York Yankee and Mariner, he was accused of dragging it. The Mess did the Mariners a huge favor, and it's only right they get Diaz for it.

I don't care if the prospects pan out or not. The Mess overpaid to overpay.

One interesting note to the trade is the Mess very well may use Diaz as a trade piece should they fail to contend.

We'll see if the trade pans out for either team.

I think the trade in question was fair if the Mess dumped Jay Bruce and got Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz. Cano is old and getting older, he's failed a drug test, his contract is burdensome and, as a New York Yankee and Mariner, he was accused of dragging it. The Mess did the Mariners a huge favor, and it's only right they get Diaz for it.

One interesting note to the trade is the Mess very well may use Diaz as a trade piece should they fail to contend.

I’m just happy we sign Corbin today

prag16

Banned

I've never heard a Mets fan call the team the Mess, especially not in the past several years. This has been exclusive to Phillies and Nats fans from what I've seen. Nevertheless, here's a piece with a positive take on the trade. I don't 100% agree with it; I'm still more on the fence as I've said from the start (though by contrast you've taken such an extreme position on the trade that it makes it seem like I'm blindly defending it, which I'm not), but it's a decent read: https://www.amazinavenue.com/2018/1...win-diaz-jay-bruce-jarred-kelenic-justin-dunn

I fully expect you to dismiss it out of hand as you did most of my original post while continuing to state your opinion as fact, and get your "Mess" zing in a few more times. But that's your right (though it doesn't make you not a piece of work). "Even if none of the prospects pan out, it was still a bad trade." Okay.

Bruce for Cano + Diaz, are you nuts? They Mariners NEVER would have done that trade, for good reason. Do you deny that the trade makes the Mets better in 2019-2020? If Cano "drags it" to 135wRC+ over 1000+ at bats the next two years not many people will be complaining.

Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese Still waiting for your take on the trade, once you're done laughing at the supposed infighting (I only say supposed since I'm not entirely convinced MC is actually a Mets fan).

Last edited:
I've never heard a Mets fan call the team the Mess, especially not in the past several years. This has been exclusive to Phillies and Nats fans from what I've seen. Nevertheless, here's a piece with a positive take on the trade. I don't 100% agree with it; I'm still more on the fence as I've said from the start (though by contrast you've taken such an extreme position on the trade that it makes it seem like I'm blindly defending it, which I'm not), but it's a decent read: https://www.amazinavenue.com/2018/1...win-diaz-jay-bruce-jarred-kelenic-justin-dunn

I fully expect you to dismiss it out of hand as you did most of my original post while continuing to state your opinion as fact, and get your "Mess" zing in a few more times. But that's your right (though it doesn't make you not a piece of work). "Even if none of the prospects pan out, it was still a bad trade." Okay.

Bruce for Cano + Diaz, are you nuts? They Mariners NEVER would have done that trade, for good reason. Do you deny that the trade makes the Mets better in 2019-2020? If Cano "drags it" to 135wRC+ over 1000+ at bats the next two years not many people will be complaining.

Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese Still waiting for your take on the trade, once you're done laughing at the supposed infighting (I only say supposed since I'm not entirely convinced MC is actually a Mets fan).
I wouldn’t have done the Cano trade. I would have trade Degrom along time ago as well.

prag16

Banned
I wouldn’t have done the Cano trade. I would have trade Degrom along time ago as well.
The time to trade deGrom was at the deadline for a king's ransom. That makes less sense now with the team's improved second half performance (Nimmo/Conforto/McNeil/Wheeler/Lugo all performing like studs). The haul would have to be absolutely shocking to move him now imo, same with Syndergaard (even before the Cano trade, which I agree I also probably wouldn't have done).

The time to trade deGrom was at the deadline for a king's ransom. That makes less sense now with the team's improved second half performance (Nimmo/Conforto/McNeil/Wheeler/Lugo all performing like studs). The haul would have to be absolutely shocking to move him now imo, same with Syndergaard (even before the Cano trade, which I agree I also probably wouldn't have done).
We went from a weak division last season to what looks like 4 of 5 teams being very competitive. I’m excited.

MC Safety

What do you call a team whose owners have been swindled by a con man, whose players are continually plagued by injuries above and beyond any reasonable metric, whose GM can now be cited for conflicts of interest, whose mascot gave fans the finger, and whose notable contribution to MLB in recent memory, beyond a Cy Young, was a giant black dildo?

Exactly.

We disagree on the Robinson Cano trade. The Mariners were lucky they found the Mess' GM who was going to offer prospects for a salary dump. For some reason, this has you in a tizzy. Your inability to recognize and respect a fundamental difference of opinion is striking, but ultimately of no concern to me.

Here's an alternative take for you: There are plenty of second basemen and relievers out there, none of which would have involved burdensome extended contracts and troublesome players. Nor would they cost two top prospects. And while Diaz is a nice addition, he's not the answer to the Mess' problems. Knowing the Mess, he'll probably begin feeling his bone spurs.

prag16

Banned
What do you call a team whose owners have been swindled by a con man, whose players are continually plagued by injuries above and beyond any reasonable metric, whose GM can now be cited for conflicts of interest, whose mascot gave fans the finger, and whose notable contribution to MLB in recent memory, beyond a Cy Young, was a giant black dildo?

Exactly.

We disagree on the Robinson Cano trade. The Mariners were lucky they found the Mess' GM who was going to offer prospects for a salary dump. For some reason, this has you in a tizzy. Your inability to recognize and respect a fundamental difference of opinion is striking, but ultimately of no concern to me.

Here's an alternative take for you: There are plenty of second basemen and relievers out there, none of which would have involved burdensome extended contracts and troublesome players. Nor would they cost two top prospects. And while Diaz is a nice addition, he's not the answer to the Mess' problems. Knowing the Mess, he'll probably begin feeling his bone spurs.
Its the dishonest framing you keep going back to more than an issue over a difference of opinion. What would you say is "the answer to their problems". Diaz is younger cheaper and better than any other reliever they could have gotten, and more moves are coming.

Just in general I never understood the appeal of this absurd level of cynicism as a fan, especially when this is a team that has contended recently and will likely contend again immediately (as opposed to a long suffering Cleveland Browns type situation). I said earlier I absolutely can't stand the Wilpons either. But you do you.

MC Safety

Its the dishonest framing you keep going back to more than an issue over a difference of opinion. What would you say is "the answer to their problems". Diaz is younger cheaper and better than any other reliever they could have gotten, and more moves are coming.

Just in general I never understood the appeal of this absurd level of cynicism as a fan, especially when this is a team that has contended recently and will likely contend again immediately (as opposed to a long suffering Cleveland Browns type situation). I said earlier I absolutely can't stand the Wilpons either. But you do you.

None of what I have said is me being dishonest, or trying to be cool, or trying to troll you. That's you being you in your inability to handle what is, again, a difference of opinion.

The Mariners dumped salary, and it knew no team would take Robinson Cano without an incentive. The team was either going to have to dangle another player, or acquire a bad contract(s), and maybe both. The Mariners got lucky and found the Mess, who were willing to take the deal AND offer some prospects in return.

Also, saying more moves are coming is ridiculous. Yes, the Mess will make other acquisitions. No, another trade or signing doesn't rationalize or justify overpaying to overpay an aging second baseman.

Last edited:
There's a 3 team trade a-brewing involving the Mets, Yanks and Marlins. Could have a huge deal in the next day or two, the players being discussed (Realmuto, Andujar, Thor) could make this yuuuuge

lil puff

There's a 3 team trade a-brewing involving the Mets, Yanks and Marlins. Could have a huge deal in the next day or two, the players being discussed (Realmuto, Andujar, Thor) could make this yuuuuge
If the Mets have not lost their fanbase yet, sending Thor across town should do it. This is a franchise that goes out of their way to look like idiots. Thor is a huge fan favorite, if they're moving him, don't send him to the damn Yankees. Geez.

prag16

Banned
If the Mets have not lost their fanbase yet, sending Thor across town should do it. This is a franchise that goes out of their way to look like idiots. Thor is a huge fan favorite, if they're moving him, don't send him to the damn Yankees. Geez.
Yeah, if they move Thor period I think they could be facing a revolt in the fan base. If they send him to the Bronx, forget it. Full blown mutiny.

That said, it sounds like that three team trade idea never really got off the ground and was more smoke than fire. If anything's going to happen with Realmuto it wounds like we may find out today/tomorrow. We'll see. Personally I'd prefer they just sign Grandal instead of creating more holes by trading for Realmuto.

Trade more than likely fizzled out but apparently Boston and Cleveland could be moving some veterans though. Dodgers looking to ship out Puig as well

MC Safety

Wilson Ramos saved the New York Mess from getting snookered a second time ...

(...for now.)

The Marlins got too greedy. All the team had to be was a little greedy, and the Mess would have eagerly overpaid.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
The Marlins' apparent asking price was insane. Ramos is a good pickup.

Hopefully they don't give injury prone Pollock anything close to what he's asking for. Nobody sane will give him more than 3 years. And maybe 40mm tops. (And I still probably don't want him with those terms.)

EDIT: Damn, if I realized this was going to be my 10,000th post, I probably would have held it back for something better than complaining about the misadventures of the two Wilpon stooges. Oh well.

Last edited:

Szym

Neo Member
It's hard to figure out how much of the Marlins is public posturing and how much it is their "actual" drop-dead price. They made the same noises with Christian Yelich and parted with him for a fairly anemic package.

Top Bottom