• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Sun & Moon | Info and speculation thread

Cut's presumably no longer an HM so I could see a buff---maybe a Normal-type variant of Aerial Ace now?

honestly, I could just see them dropping Cut and Strength entirely. Not outright removing them from the game code, but at the very least not bothering making them a TM. Surf, Waterfall, and Fly still have use in battle, and Flash and Rock Smash are constantly moving through the revolving door of TM/HM status, so they'll certainly return.

gardfish

Nah seeing all mons is required for National Dex so there should be a trainer who has that in DP, I know because I experienced the problem (forgot to encounter Tentacruel) lol

Funnily enough, Tangrowth isn't even in D/P's regional dex, along with most of the other late-dex new evolutions.

CassSept

Nah seeing all mons is required for National Dex so there should be a trainer who has that in DP, I know because I experienced the problem (forgot to encounter Tentacruel) lol

Most of these evolutions (from Magnezone on) were not available in the Sinnoh Dex though.

E: beaten, yeah

You get Pikachu from Kukui later on, but it doesn't look like he completed the demo in the video.

Not sure what area the demo is in, the higher levels may be just for the demo, but a Jangmo-o is seen near the end.

wait seriously? what the fuck I didn't notice that

You think that's bad? Diamond and Pearl only had 2 fire type Pokemon families native to Sinnoh and that's including the Chimchar family. Your only option for a fire type otherwise is just Ponyta/Rapidash. The fire type Elite 4 trainer in those games had a team of 5 Pokémon with 3 of them being non-fire types.

You get Pikachu from Kukui later on, but it doesn't look like he completed the demo in the video.

Not sure what area the demo is in, the higher levels may be just for the demo, but a Jangmo-o is seen near the end.
Pikachu's not really an improvement :/

I sometimes wonder what it must be like to be someone who actually likes the main mascot pokemon such as Pikachu, Charizard and, now, Greninja. I imagine it's great because you get to see and play the pokemon in EVERYTHING. Smash? sure! mystery dungeon? it's gonna be one of the playables! etc.
Unfortunately I'm completely meh on them. Initially it didn't matter but after having them constantly waved in your face all the time my apathy of them has soured to a mild dislike :p

Ah well... I'll trudge through it just so I can see pokemon I'd like to play with from the other side of the battlefield at least and hopefully Ash-Greninja will be half-decent trade fodder (please tell me we can trade it @,@ )

On the upside of those videos: German name for rockruff is apparently 'wuffels'. That's adorable :D

You think that's bad? Diamond and Pearl only had 2 fire type Pokemon families native to Sinnoh and that's including the Chimchar family. Your only option for a fire type otherwise is just Ponyta/Rapidash. The fire type Elite 4 trainer in those games had a team of 5 Pokémon with 3 of them being non-fire types.

I'll never forget this. The D/P National Dex was incredibly terrible. How does that happen? How does Game Freak say "it's okay for there to be no fire Pokémon"? It's so crazy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I know about the fire type problem but man I didn't realize Tangrowth wasn't even considered in the dex lol

The Platinum expansion isn't that much better. It has some weird additions, some makes sense like the earlier forms of new Gen 4 Pokemon like Eevee and its evolutions, Magby, Magmortar, etc. Like why Tropius? Houndour and Houndoom? Scyther and Scizor? Absol? These stand out as weird additions to the Pokedex when it's mixed in with all the Gen 4 evolutions. Houndour and Houndoom I get I guess because of the lack of fire types, and Tropius as earlier mentioned was only available in Gen 3 prior. Scyther and Absol are just strange. Absol especially, cause it's right before Giratina in the New Sinnoh dex. I suppose lore wise, you make it as if Absol is a warning sign for Giratina.

Anyone know what the letter says?

It had water shuriken and night slash and it was decimating all the pokes he fought in a single turn. The fights in the first 15 minutes shown were all single battles against 1 pokemon so the morph never triggered.
Thanks! So they gave him night clash instead of cut? Interesting.

GoldStarz

Yes and no. We know that the first HM you get is Bulk Up so it seems that TMs have been renamed to HMs and what used to be HMs have become the abilities of the various ride Pokemon.

Nah, they're still TMs, the demo-er was just confused, all other reports say that it's still TMs.

Thanks! Nice to see rockruff and jangmo can be caught early.

I'm not too sure that the demo's representative of the progression of the final game. If you compare that route to the route north of the city on the map artwork, they don't match in the slightest, and the screen fades in and out rather than smoothly transitioning. That route could be anywhere.

I'm not too sure that the demo's representative of the progression of the final game. If you compare that route to the route north of the city on the map artwork, they don't match in the slightest, and the screen fades in and out rather than smoothly transitioning. That route could be anywhere.
Oh shoot that's a good point. :(

GoldStarz

Wasn't the ORAS demo similar in that it didn't actually take place anywhere in the game? Or was that the X/Y demo?

Honestly, the logic that went into designing Flint's team is hilarious.

Rapidash, because duh, Fire-type.

Infernape, because we need more Fire-types and we're literally out of options (to drive home the desperation: Flint is the only Elite Four member in the entire series to use one of the starters, not counting Champions of course)

Drifblim, because hot air balloons use fire to operate I guess? Yeah sure let's go with that.

Steelix, because it's like a flint, I guess? Or maybe it's a reference to how Steelix can supposedly withstand intense heat? I dunno just roll with it.

Lopunny, because it's HOT. GET IT? AHAHAHAHAHAHA
ENDME

Some people theorise this might be a sign that cut is gone along with all the other HMs so they used night slash to replace it :3

I would not be surprised if they started cleaning the movedex a bit. There is a lot of useless and redundant stuff. It might make compatibility with old stuff harder, though.

Sou Da

Infernape, because we need more Fire-types and we're literally out of options (to drive home the desperation: Flint is the only Elite Four member in the entire series to use one of the starters, not counting Champions of course)

Drifblim, because hot air balloons use fire to operate I guess? Yeah sure let's go with that.

Steelix, because it's like a flint, I guess? Or maybe it's a reference to how Steelix can supposedly withstand intense heat? I dunno just roll with it.

ENDME
Why did they bother making a fire E4?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Oh really? That I didn't know.

Yeah Night Slash Japanese name is Crossroad Killing and it refer to how some Samurais would test out their new blade on an unsuspecting commoner and kill them.

I would not be surprised if they started cleaning the movedex a bit. There is a lot of useless and redundant stuff. It might make compatibility with old stuff harder, though.

I doubt it, Game Freak like to maintain continuity so no move will ever get cut, they made not be TM or HM in future games but they will always stick around.

Same reason why they haven't bothered making a Dark type gym leader.

CazTGG

On the subject of Cut being potential cut (pun not intended): Not counting glitch moves for obvious reasons, has there ever been a move that's been dropped between generations in series history? I know that certain egg moves or other methods of getting certain moves on certain Pokemon have changed (Chimchar no longer gets Vacuum Wave via tutors, something discovered to my irritation when trying to breed a special-oriented Infernape), but I doubt that Game Freak would all of a sudden drop entire moves, even one of the least worthwhile moves in existence. There are a lot of moves that are either questionably viable or useless, but that should be treated as more of a challenge i.e. how to make moves like Cut not useless (Maybe make it super effective on grass types a la Freeze Dry and up its base power) rather than simply reducing the number of moves one can choose from. We already have a lot of Pokémon which suffer from abysmal movepools so why shrink them down when you can shore them up rather than let the problem persist when Game Freak seems intent on designing their games to be more competitive friendly?

The original Sinnoh Dex was such shit.

To be honest, all of the Sinnoh Elite Four save for Lucien have really crappy teams.

Aaron uses two Pokemon with under 400 base stat total and his ace isn't even Bug-type, Bertha has a Sudowoodo (which isn't even remotely Ground-type) and the rest of her team has a 4x weakness to Grass, and Flint speaks for himself.

Thankfully they all got fixed in Platinum but they serve very well to highlight some of the design issues that plagued DP.

Strimei

ENDME

While it did point out the absurd lack of fire types in that gen, I actually did like an elite 4 member having some variety like that. Meant I couldn't just sweep them with a water type.

GoldStarz

While I can agree Flint's team is a hilarious hot mess, the way people hyper-focus on fire types annoys the heck outta me. Like maybe take this opportunity to build a team without a fire type? You don't need a fire type in your team, I didn't even notice that the game was lacking in Fire types until I heard people whining about it years later.

While I can agree Flint's team is a hilarious hot mess, the way people hyper-focus on fire types annoys the heck outta me. Like maybe take this opportunity to build a team without a fire type? You don't need a fire type in your team, I didn't even notice that the game was lacking in Fire types until I heard people whining about it years later.

It's not just Fire types. It would have been just as ridiculous if it was any other type.

I expect a nice variety to the content (read: Pokémon) in these games and the fact that Gen IV only had one new Fire line is ridiculous and a valid complaint.

Top Bottom