• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Midnight Suns | Review Thread

mxbison

How much RNG is there? I dropped Xcom the second I was standing next to an enemy and shooting them with a rifle - and missing. Multiple times.

I'm usually a really patient man but excessive luck in games - board or video - drives me crazy.

Not much.

When you try to push enemies off a ledge you have a % chance but I hardly ever do that. Then there is obviously the RNG of which cards you draw but that is what makes these games fun.

Last edited:

Coconutt

Beat the game and I know they will be releasing new characters as part of the season pass, hopefully they add new story content too cause I don't know if I want to replay the campaign again.

Holy hell, the performance in the last mission was beyond terrible. Gradually slowing down to 15-20 FPS. The only solution is to set everything to low and use DLSS, though there are still moments it drops to 40.

My game keeps crashing on Series X after completing a mission. It’s one of the side missions where you destroy Hydra devices. I’ve tried goofing off and extending the mission by a couple more turns but no matter what I do, once I destroy the last device, it crashes instead of loading the mission summary. Anyone know of a fix besides loading a save from before the mission started?

Only technical issue I have had so far.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/368260/view/3678912086688393523
The Merc with a Mouth is now the Merc with a Date. Join Deadpool as he teams up with the Midnight Suns to tear evil a new one on January 26th!

Expand your adventure with Deadpool in The Good, The Bad, and The Undead, the first DLC for Marvel’s Midnight Suns. Deadpool joins the team as an in-your face damage dealer wielding 10 unique Hero abilities. Plus, enjoy new story missions, a tasty new Abbey Upgrade, and some stylish cosmetics for everyone’s favorite Merc!

Picked this up about 2 weeks ago and I just wanted to say that it is criminal that Midnight Suns wasn't talked about more during GOTY deliberations. I'm going to assume it's because it came out so late in the year and most folks hadn't play it yet, because it is an amazing game so far and easily a contender for GOTY 2022.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Just played through the Deadpool dlc and it's really, really good.
Very high quality, a lot of fun, interesting new enemies/boss and DP himself is pretty good once you start modding his cards to draw more of his cards.
As expected it looks like the DLC's are going to lead up to tie in with the after credits scene of the main game, but cool they are doing their own thing as well.

Firaxis could have a hit franchise on their hands here; imagine midnight suns 3 with like 30 characters, more sandbox freedom, and possible co-op arenas. :messenger_dizzy:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Finished the game. Its a piece of turd. Avoid it at all costs. Combat is great but it cannot carry the absolute dog shit waste your time cringe inducing nonstop dialogue, nor the abysmal tech issues especially in that final mission, nor the story that had the worst ending of all time. 6/10. Play something else, there are far better card games out there that don't waste your time.

Jennings

Hopefully it turns around. Marvel has had a bad run of it between this and GoTG, both being great games but not getting the initial draw.

The only reason I didn't pick it up, especially after all the amazing word of mouth that only continues to grow to this day, is the $70 price tag on my platform. After seeing all the love I went straight to product page and was ready to buy until I saw the price. Now the game is relegated to patient gamer status and I'll just get around to it whenever I get around to it, after a deep sale some time down the road. They just murdered my hype, all urgency, my impulse purchase, and a +1 on their sales numbers.

I have no idea how representative I am of the average gamer, but the game seems like it deserves better and it's unfortunate that it hit the street positioned so poorly and at such a prohibitive price.

Last edited:
The only reason I didn't pick it up, especially after all the amazing worth of mouth that only continues to grow to this day, is the $70 price tag on my platform. After seeing all the love I went straight to product page and was ready to buy until I saw the price. Now the game is relegated to patient gamer status and I'll just get around to it whenever I get around to it, after a deep sale some time down the road. They just murdered my hype, all urgency, my impulse purchase, and a +1 on their sales numbers.

I have no idea how representative I am of the average gamer, but the game seems like it deserves better and it's unfortunate that it hit the street positioned so poorly and at such a prohibitive price.

You aren’t the only one, the marketing can’t really do it justice.

The game was a mindblower to me how good it was vs how it was marketed. I expected a card game with a kids gloves Marvel story with some strategy added on top, but it topped my expectations in every way (well the graphics could be better). I wouldn’t have bothered with the game at all except for the word of mouth and it ended up my personal GOTY.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I like the game, got it for 20% off on Xbox. I like it, but it has a lot of issues. If you like tactical turn based combat more than G-rated dating sims, then this game is probably not for you.

The biggest issue that really harms my enjoyment is the rather repetitive combat and boring arenas.

It's almost unforgivable that a super hero game is relegated to a single elevation. Why is there no verticality to this game? The arenas are generally boring and don't vary much.

The poor arenas aside, the combat itself is very basic, and other then a few team combos, it's not very interesting. Then you have the enemies themselves, with low variety and reused to death.

All said and done, I still like the game, but it's carried more by my enjoyment of the characters than the game.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
He’s caused a mountain of hurt, but this brutal antihero is ready for Redemption. With fangs bared and tongue writhing in ravenous anticipation, it’s time to unleash the power of the Symbiote when Venom joins the Midnight Suns on February 23!

Expand your adventure with Venom in Redemption, the second DLC for Marvel’s Midnight Suns. Venom joins the roster to chew through evildoers and feed his insatiable hunger, bringing with him 10 unique Hero abilities. Plus, enjoy new story missions, a brand new Abbey Upgrade, and some fresh cosmetics for this brutal antihero!

Honestly did not expect them to drop the next DLC so quick, and it looks pretty great so far, moving the story forward from the deadpool DLC.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Played through the Venom dlc and while not as good as the Deadpool dlc, it was still excellent and overall just as high quality; Venom is a lot of fun and looks great too.
I also like how they intertwine stuff and keep moving the narrative forward.
With the main game they introduce Mephisto somewhere down the line, but then he just kinda disappears from the story, then SIN is mentioned with the red skull relic mission.
You then beat the game and see the stinger with dr Doom being set up for the next big bad.
Then Deadpool DLC ties him in with dr Doom, and SIN is brought in as the villain, with end of it introducing Dracula.
Then now the Venom DLC Mephisto takes center stage, and Dracula is the main villain. No extra set up in the end of it but it is pretty cool they are keeping everything consistent, instead of just completely random encounters.

I'm guessing they are going to keep dr Doom for maybe a sequel or expansion or "season 2" dlc, and just use the remaining two packs for dealing with Mephisto and Dracula. Would be cool to see some more villains though.

Venom achievements aren’t popping. Wonder if I need to start a new game like I did for Deadpool?
I had some missing achievements from playing the base game that got patched and I got a dump of them in one go after patching a week or so later. So they can fix a lot of that stuff.

I haven’t played the DLC yet though; If it doesn’t address the before and after credits ‘thing’, I’ll just wait for the whole thing to come out before I play it again.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
It really needs a sequel set in Xavier's school. It just seems like a perfect fit. Go all in on the Persona side of things with mutant classes, danger room stuff, clandestine missions by the young mutants getting themselves in trouble. Put a New Mutants focus on it. Cannonball would be great in a game like this.

I finished this over the weekend.
The battles and card collecting parts and great if too repetitive by the last third.
Everything else is bad from the graphics to the pacing and most of the story.
The worst part has to be the dialogue though. It has constant inane chatter to bore you with and what felt like a books worth of reading.
I had to start skipping all the chat half way through and especially for Caretaker and Agatha.
I really couldn't bring myself to care at all about them but the other characters have charm.

graywolf323

Gold Member
It really needs a sequel set in Xavier's school. It just seems like a perfect fit. Go all in on the Persona side of things with mutant classes, danger room stuff, clandestine missions by the young mutants getting themselves in trouble. Put a New Mutants focus on it. Cannonball would be great in a game like this.
oooh and Magik could continue over as well, that actually sounds really awesome

We knew it was coming, but I don’t think a date for it was announced beforehand and it’s basically being released the day it’s announced; hence shadow drop.

Maybe I’m wrong and the date was announced?
It wasn't announced but given the fact that the past two DLCs have arrived around the same time for the past two months, I was expecting it either this week or the next. As such, I expect Storm to arrive either April 18th or 25th

Power Pro

I went to Gamestop, and I was able to get a copy of this for Series X for around $6. I didn't know there would be such glowing praise for this game in some of the older posts because I thought it was mostly hated. I mainly picked it up because they just had a bunch of games on sale, and I really liked XCOM 1, but still haven't played 2. This seemed like a good price to give it a try at.

I notice that season pass is kinda pricey though. Have they added any good stuff with it overtime? I added to my wish list for now, and probably will wait for a sale.

Last edited:

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
This game is so fucking good and I really hope it gets a sequel.

All the friendship stuff sucked hard, but the actual gameplay and character/deck building was 10/10. So good.

MonkD

Played it recently and I'm surprised it didn't get more praise. Gameplay is a lot of fun and the writing is great. Definitely deserves a sequel, hope it sold well enough even though it seemingly flew under the radar.

amigastar

Yeah, it's definitely underrated, i'm still wondering why Jake Solomon had to leave Firaxis, it was a very good game even though it didn't sell well.

SScorpio

I went to Gamestop, and I was able to get a copy of this for Series X for around $6. I didn't know there would be such glowing praise for this game in some of the older posts because I thought it was mostly hated. I mainly picked it up because they just had a bunch of games on sale, and I really liked XCOM 1, but still haven't played 2. This seemed like a good price to give it a try at.

I notice that season pass is kinda pricey though. Have they added any good stuff with it overtime? I added to my wish list for now, and probably will wait for a sale.
The expansions add four new characters, along with new things to research that give you more abilities. All four tie together and you need them all to play the final missions in the new story.

Overall there are 16 new story missions while the base game itself contains I believe in the mid-20s. If you enjoy the game, it's worth getting when it's on sale. I recommend people grab the version with the pass bundled, but you bought used so it the price difference could end up being a wash.

Sentenza

How much RNG is there? I dropped Xcom the second I was standing next to an enemy and shooting them with a rifle - and missing. Multiple times.

I'm usually a really patient man but excessive luck in games - board or video - drives me crazy.
I know this is an old post, but... No one who understands how XCOM actually works relies on RNG/lucky rolls to win missions.

JayK47

Is there a time limit like Xcom? Or can I do story missions at my leisure? It looks like some of the regular missions will disappear if you do not get to them right away.

Is there a time limit like Xcom? Or can I do story missions at my leisure? It looks like some of the regular missions will disappear if you do not get to them right away.
No time limit. You can do random missions to your heart's content, then do the campaign missions when you feel ready.

Sentenza

It’s a much less stressful game than XCOM and XCOM 2.
That post I answered to was strictly about the XCOM series.

That said, I played and finished Midnight Suns. I wouldn't really say it's particularly easier or "less stressful" or even better in general.
It's just a bit different in focus.

Not as good as WOTC though, all things considered.

Sentenza

Since the topic came back to life recently, I may as well post my opinion on the game...
________

I bought the game one month after release (when it was already on sale for a 33% discount, as if that wasn't a bad sign) and after my first playthrough I can summarize my impression this way:

- Combat is great. Fun, simple but with decent depth, visually pleasing.
- Heroes offer a massive variety in playstyle, to a degree not even the XCOM classes could approach.

BUT

- maps/missions are too few in variety and the same goes for the enemy types, which lead to a strong sense of repetition fairly quickly, even by XCOM standards. War of the Chosen was far more diversified.
- The Abbey exploration is mildly enjoyable

- "Social liking" with heroes is a fucking chore and dialogues are seldom interesting or amusing to witness.

- writing is bland as hell and occasionally even a bit cringey. In all fairness the same was true for the XCOM franchise, but at least everything related to narrative there had the courtesy to sideline itself most of the time, while here it pretends to take front and center.

- as already pointed, the resources system had the bad aftertaste of something aimed to the mobile/free to play market and not organic to the game.

- the level up/progression system feels almost completely vestigial. Everyone keeps bumping up their stats bit by bit and so do enemies, which in the end it makes it stat bloat for the sake of it that doesn't really add much to the game. This and the "gatcha"-inspired system to open containers to unlock new cards leave the bad impression to be a Skinner's box for the sake of it.

- I'm still not convinced making it a card game rather than a cooldown based system like its [pseudo]predecessors was so fundamental to its core mechanics nor crucial to avoid having "RNG elements in combat" , but... Oh well, you don't even pay any attention to it after a while.

Some parts of the game feel like a jewel, but at time they also feel like the proverbial diamond in the rough as they are drowned in unnecessary subsystems and pacing issues.
Is it fun? Abso-fucking-lutely. Well, most of the times, especially in combat. Is it an improvement over the studio's previous output? No, it definitely isn't.
The action adventure/dating sim angle is not as lean and enjoyable as the base building/management in War of the Chosen and what's worse, I can see becoming even more grating on repetition after a first playthrough.

That said, it DOES have part of its design that feel like they would add a lot to their future titles. The knockback system is a blast to play around with, for instance, and IF XCOM 3 is something that exist and Firaxis is actively developing at the moment, I hope it will find its way in it.
Same goes for the occasional chance to make use of environmental props to attack the enemy.

Inspector Q

Since the topic came back to life recently, I may as well post my opinion on the game...
________

I bought the game one month after release (when it was already on sale for a 33% discount, as if that wasn't a bad sign) and after my first playthrough I can summarize my impression this way:

- Combat is great. Fun, simple but with decent depth, visually pleasing.
- Heroes offer a massive variety in playstyle, to a degree not even the XCOM classes could approach.

BUT

- maps/missions are too few in variety and the same goes for the enemy types, which lead to a strong sense of repetition fairly quickly, even by XCOM standards. War of the Chosen was far more diversified.
- The Abbey exploration is mildly enjoyable

- "Social liking" with heroes is a fucking chore and dialogues are seldom interesting or amusing to witness.

- writing is bland as hell and occasionally even a bit cringey. In all fairness the same was true for the XCOM franchise, but at least everything related to narrative there had the courtesy to sideline itself most of the time, while here it pretends to take front and center.

- as already pointed, the resources system had the bad aftertaste of something aimed to the mobile/free to play market and not organic to the game.

- the level up/progression system feels almost completely vestigial. Everyone keeps bumping up their stats bit by bit and so do enemies, which in the end it makes it stat bloat for the sake of it that doesn't really add much to the game. This and the "gatcha"-inspired system to open containers to unlock new cards leave the bad impression to be a Skinner's box for the sake of it.

- I'm still not convinced making it a card game rather than a cooldown based system like its [pseudo]predecessors was so fundamental to its core mechanics nor crucial to avoid having "RNG elements in combat" , but... Oh well, you don't even pay any attention to it after a while.

Some parts of the game feel like a jewel, but at time they also feel like the proverbial diamond in the rough as they are drowned in unnecessary subsystems and pacing issues.
Is it fun? Abso-fucking-lutely. Well, most of the times, especially in combat. Is it an improvement over the studio's previous output? No, it definitely isn't.
The action adventure/dating sim angle is not as lean and enjoyable as the base building/management in War of the Chosen and what's worse, I can see becoming even more grating on repetition after a first playthrough.

That said, it DOES have part of its design that feel like they would add a lot to their future titles. The knockback system is a blast to play around with, for instance, and IF XCOM 3 is something that exist and Firaxis is actively developing at the moment, I hope it will find its way in it.
Same goes for the occasional chance to make use of environmental props to attack the enemy.
Decided to buy the game recently for 10 bucks. I am enjoying it quite a bit, actually. I would say it's mainly for the reason you mentioned where all the characters offer quite a variety in gameplay styles.

It's funny, I love XCOM games, but I kind of disliked how there weren't any "unique" characters as part of your squad. Think Orlandu or Agrias from Final Fantasy Tactics as an example. Characters with unique "classes" and abilities that also may take part in the storyline. Midnight Suns is basically ONLY that, lol.

Why did I wait for a DEEP sale to buy it? I freaking hated the demo....and it was all because of the shithead characters, lol. The game basically starts out with both Stark and Strange acting like asshats and getting completely humiliated by a bunch of teenagers.

Like many others, I have gotten pretty fed up with current day Disney trash. Things like She-Hulk shitting on Hulk, Rey shitting on Luke, etc. So I immediately got huge red flags from this game with characters like Nico and Magik taking a dump on a couple of Avengers. I was pretty much like, "F this trash" and uninstalled the demo.

The other thing was the decision to go with this card based system. I really didn't give it a chance at the time and that shitty dialogue just sealed the deal.

Then a few weeks ago I decided on a whim to check the price. Saw it was 10 bucks and said "what the hell" and picked it up.

So Nico and Magik are still insufferable twats (do they get better?), but most of the other characters have grown on me a bit. Captain Marvel is WAY better here than in the MCU (probably not saying much). There seems to be TONS of dialogue in between every mission. Each character seems to have their thoughts about EVERYTHING that happens in the story. Even the DLC ones, which I ended up buying. A lot of people seem to hate the dialogue stuff, but I don't mind it too much.

I am still not even that far in the story, though. So maybe it will get repetitve by the end. We will see.

Still, kind of a shame that this bombed since I would have liked to see their take on even more heroes. But I guess buying it from CDKeys for 10 bucks didn't help, lol.

JayK47

Well I am loving this game. I like it for similar reasons as I loved Battletech. The combat is so much fun and getting new items each battle has me addicted. I do enjoy the interactions with the other heroes. Upgrading characters, moves, and the abbey is great. I wish I had more time to play it. As an added bonus, the women are sexy.

Last edited:

manfestival

I want to play more of this game but the dialogue really bothers me. Just feels so braindead from everyone. I imagine the story isn't half bad but I have to listen to this nonsense half the time. Especially from Tony Stark. Whoever wrote this is a jerk.

Spearheadz

I have owned it since release but hadn't played any except for the tutorial. Started it yesterday, and I'm really loving it. Some of the dialogue is cringe, but I love all the little easter eggs that they mention. I forget what was said exactly, but someone mentioned a lizard growing up like Fin Fang Foom and had a nice little chuckle. I also really, really like the little intro dynamic thing that pops up when you meet a character. My only qualm is my boy Moon Knight didn't make it in. How can you have Midnight Sons and no Moon Knight. Travesty.

Top Bottom