• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation's Focus on Too Big to Fail Games Is Concerning

Alright

Banned
Which is exactly my point. The "services" trend started just a few years ago and it's gained a lot of momentum. So much that it's changing the entire way software and hardware companies work.

Mark my words on this one (and you can quote me for posterity) : sooner or later, Nintendo WILL follow suit and will offer a software subscription service. I know not of the specifics of how it will do it, but it will be subscription based.
I'm in agreement with you, services are moving towards subscription based and streaming, we all see it coming. That doesn't mean it will be the primary or main source of income.

None of that has to do with the thread at hand and the repeating cycle of negative headlines towards Sony while they stay radio silent.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The only thing they are doing wrong is not expanding through acquisition of IP and talent.
They need Bluepoint go. They let Ready At Dawn Go. They let KojiPro go. Quantic Dream. Supermassive. All third party studios who were effectively first party studios making Sony IPs for them for over a decade.

not to mention all the studio closures like Japan Studios, Evolution Studios, Zipper, Guerrilla Cambridge, Incognito, and Sony Liverpool.

They went from 20 studios to like 5 studios. Only 4 of which are deemed worthy to work on what they want since Sony Bend's Days Gone 2 pitch wasnt picked up. 4 Studios means 4 games every 4 years. This means over the next 4 years, we will only see 4 real AAA games from Sony. 1 AAA game a year.

ND recently gave an interview saying how they are still a 1 team studio because multiple development is so hard with just 300 people. How the fuck does ND only have 300 people in 2021? WTF is Sony doing with all those billions?

ZywyPL

Banned
Its kind of the same with Nintendo. Anyone who likes Mario or Zelda or even Pokemon knows that a game with than name is going to be great for them. So it's understandable that Sony wants the same for The Last of Us and Ghost of Tsushima and so on.

I fully agree with what you said except the quoted part - Nintendo's games are gameplay-based, so you can reuse the characters over and over to introduce multiple gameplay mechanics or even different genres, whereas Sony's games are story-driven, meaning you can drag an IP only for so long. Take GoW for example, they had to basically reboot the franchise because there was only so much they could tell in the Greek mythology, and there are only so many mythologies/religions that can keep the franchise/character alive. Sony simply cannot afford to using the same franchises/characters forever like Nintendo, and that's what they've actually been doing, because if you look back at PS history each gen introduced new IP, while the older eventually faded away and disappeared, the only one that still holds still is Gran Turismo, exactly because it's a gameplay-based title.

Three

Yeah but they're not gonna make zero sales ever.... I mean, they could lose ten or twenty million. Maybe even 30 if it was really bad.

Risks have to be taken in art. There will be zero progress in game design and systems without that element of risk.

It's an investment in the future and the devs that work on these risky projects are gaining experience and have a job they are grateful for..... instead of firing a load of talent (Like in Japan) or forcing people to resign and possibly hold contempt for the company (Days Gone directors and VASG).
Making the game is positive overall for the industry and company even if it loses some money in the short term.
I don't think the Days gone Director had any contempt. He said in the Jaffe interview that he is happy with Sony and likes Jim and Herman. Not sure if he was holding back but I would take his word for it instead of second guessing him.

Bryank75

Banned
I don't think the Days gone Director had any contempt. He said in the Jaffe interview that he is happy with Sony and likes Jim and Herman. Not sure if he was holding back but I would take his word for it instead of second guessing him.
I know, I was watching. I just mean hypothetically there could be an ex-employee that harbors ill-will for losing a job.

Fbh

The thing about focusing only on big AAA blockbusters is that when you aren't releasing them you will start seeing the "Sony is doomed" sentiment pop up.
I think if Horizon or God of War were coming in, say, June or July instead of "End of the year....maybe?", the overall discourse would be different.

What’s with all the Sony negativity lately?

Probably MS having a string of mostly positive news (Bethesda acquisition going through, Outriders and MLB day 1 on gamepass, etc) vs Sony having a string of bad ones (Japan Studio closing, Days Gone franchise put on hold, Ps3/Vita stores closing, etc).

Dr Kaneda

By June we'll be around 7/8 months into the new gen, in a pandemic and Sony will have exclusively released:

Demon's Soul
Astro's Playroom
Spider-Man Miles Morales
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Returnal
Ratchet and Clank A Rift Apart

Other than Spider-Man, which is only big due to it's general brand name (as a game its a million miles from the likes of TLoU, UC etc..), I'm not seeing where these "Big AAA, samey, cinematic, etc..." games are?

People seem to be literally only freaking out because Sony axed Days Gone 2 and asked Bend to help out on a TLoU1 remake. That's literally it. Days Gone is a generic open world games with generic zombie/post apocalyptic tropes, how can people seriously argue that a sequel to a game like that would be considered "fresh"? It'd be a million miles from fresh. People are ignoring the good news from the article which is that Bend are working on a new IP, surely that's a complete slap in the face to the people saying Sony aren't investing in new IPs.

Ok lets for arguments sake say Sony aren't investing in fresh IPs, what have Xbox released in the past 12 months or have coming up in the remainder of the year that is superior to Sony? Xbox literally has no worthwhile exclusive games period, let alone "fresh" ones. The biggest Xbox game on the horizon is Halo infinite, the 8th game in an FPS series that just got 3 previous games remaster. Wow so fresh, so exciting!

We're 5-6 months into the gen. At this exact point last gen we had no idea that the likes of Death Stranding, Spider-Man, Bloodborne, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams, Until Dawn, The Last Guardian and Concrete Genie, which were all Sony developed totally new IPs, were going to release for PS4. So why are we suddenly impatient and wanting Sony to announce an entire generation worth of games now? If in a year or two new releases/announcements aren't forthcoming then yeah I'd understand the concern 100%. But I just don't get it now, seems people have heard TLoU1 is getting a remake and have jumped to the definite conclusion that PS5 is just going to be a TLoU/Uncharted machine.

drotahorror

By June we'll be around 7/8 months into the new gen, in a pandemic and Sony will have exclusively released:

Demon's Soul
Astro's Playroom
Returnal
Ratchet and Clank A Rift Apart
Add Godfall as the other two were cross-gen. I'm not saying there weren't substantial improvements but they were are cross-gen by definition.

A solid effort that's for sure, provided R&C comes out. What exactly will MS have put out by then that's exclusive to their Series consoles?

Anyway, article is stupid.

OrtizTwelve

Somewhat of a video essay on Sony's recent turd weeks and Bloomberg's article.

Edit: Goddam those youtube comments, not even them are disagreeing much with the piece.

PlayStation's current approach is short sighted and will eventually evolve into shipping much fewer exclusive games overall,, and only focus on the same thing over and over (rehashes and remakes) -- and it completely misses the point what video games are about.

PlayStation used to have such a variety of exclusive titles, a large extensive catalog of properties -- but all they do now is make "movie games" and it's the same third-person adventure style, large cinematic and cutscenes, and expensive marketing akin to a Hollywood film.

Not every game has to be a Hollywood movie... So far everything Sony has done with PS5 has turned me off into buying a console. It looks like they're going back to their arrogant PS3 era ways.

Dr Kaneda

Add Godfall as the other two were cross-gen. I'm not saying there weren't substantial improvements but they were are cross-gen by definition.

A solid effort that's for sure, provided R&C comes out. What exactly will MS have put out by then that's exclusive to their Series consoles?

Anyway, article is stupid.
I didn't mention it because it wasn't a Sony developed or part developed game, unlike the others I listed. They just paid for 6 months timed console exclusivity.

Last edited:
Why are people so concerned?

PS4 was pretty great and has some excellent exclusives. Everything points towards PS5 offering the same but the launch has been very slow. They are predicting a strong year though, right?

As the cost of developing games rises I would say that projects like Fallout 76, Anthem etc are a massive risk. Eventually one of these will flop badly. Cyberpunk 2077 is close but its a smaller developer and publisher so the budget was not as high as, say, a Rockstar game. I think it's better for Sony to be focused on God of War, Horizon etc and give people solid games.

Its kind of the same with Nintendo. Anyone who likes Mario or Zelda or even Pokemon knows that a game with than name is going to be great for them. So it's understandable that Sony wants the same for The Last of Us and Ghost of Tsushima and so on.

Don't forget new IPs are coming too and they'll be AAA production to boot.

Dr Kaneda

PlayStation's current approach is short sighted and will eventually evolve into shipping much fewer exclusive games overall,, and only focus on the same thing over and over (rehashes and remakes) -- and it completely misses the point what video games are about.

PlayStation used to have such a variety of exclusive titles, a large extensive catalog of properties -- but all they do now is make "movie games" and it's the same third-person adventure style, large cinematic and cutscenes, and expensive marketing akin to a Hollywood film.

Not every game has to be a Hollywood movie... So far everything Sony has done with PS5 has turned me off into buying a console. It looks like they're going back to their arrogant PS3 era ways.
What examples of past varied Playstation exclusive games do you want to make a come back?

SlimySnake

This.

Fewer games. Fewer risks. A game like Horizon wouldn't get greenlit at the current Sony.

It's extremely short sighted because games are taking longer and longer to take. Horizon 2 has already taken over 4 years and is pretty much guaranteed to miss this year according to Schrier. So if a sequel which is last gen and not even next gen is taking 5 years to make then how long would a new IP thats next gen only take to make? 6 years? 7 years? When should we expect this new IP from Sony Bend? 2027 at the PS6 launch?

Ratchet comes out this year. Literally their only AAA game this year. Horizon, TLOU factions and GoW come out next year. Whats after that? do we have to wait 5 years after that to get a single sony exclusive from their AAA studios?

This.

Fewer games. Fewer risks. A game like Horizon wouldn't get greenlit at the current Sony.

It's extremely short sighted because games are taking longer and longer to take. Horizon 2 has already taken over 4 years and is pretty much guaranteed to miss this year according to Schrier. So if a sequel which is last gen and not even next gen is taking 5 years to make then how long would a new IP thats next gen only take to make? 6 years? 7 years? When should we expect this new IP from Sony Bend? 2027 at the PS6 launch?

Ratchet comes out this year. Literally their only AAA game this year. Horizon, TLOU factions and GoW come out next year. Whats after that? do we have to wait 5 years after that to get a single sony exclusive from their AAA studios?

Only posts here which are very short sighted are yours

ManaByte

Gold Member
You mean exclusives like:
  • Sackboy: A big adventure
  • Returnal,
  • Bugsnacks,
  • Destruction All-star,
  • Demon Souls,
  • Astro's Playroom,
  • Oddworld:Soulstorm
  • Godfall
Do they look like Hollywood movie to you?

Note: Those are released only 6 months after launch. Imagine the games coming.

I sincerely hope the games coming are much better than Bugsnax, Destruction All Stars, and Godfall.

Dr Kaneda

In a single gen on PS2, in the space of 4 years, Sony released the following character/mascot platformer/action adventures exclusive games

Jak and Daxter
Jak II
Jak 3

Ratchet and Clank
Going Commando
Up your Arsenal
Ratchet: Deadlocked

Sly Cooper
Sly Cooper 2
Sly Cooper 3

In the space of 7 years Sony released the following FPS games (all put 1 were in a single gen as well)

Resistance 1
Resistance 2
Resistance 3

Killzone 2
Killzone 3
Killzone Shadow Fall

MAG

This idea that Sony were churning a new IP/genre of game every year is false. They've ALWAYS gone with trends and rode them until they weren't successful, and as evidenced above they did it in a more aggressive manner then they do now. Imagine if they released TEN 3rd person cinematic shooting games in a single gen? They released just 3 in TLoU2, Uncharted 4 and TLL last gen and people are going crazy.

Across the entire industry input is down on pervious gens, particularly the PS1/PS2 eras, that's an issue for EVERYONE, not just Sony. So yeah I agree I'd like Sony and R* and Microsoft etc.. and everyone to release more games like they used and that would lead to more variety but it's just not going to happen with the costs involved. So that means fewer games and that means focusing on games you know are going to be successful. That's just the reality.

SlimySnake

Only posts here which are very short sighted are yours
Dont shit post. Use your brain and write a coherent response. I didnt write much so it shouldn't be hard to read through it all and formulate a response that isn't garbage like what you wrote above.

Here, I will make it easy for you and list out my arguments in bullet points for you to counter. What am I getting wrong? Where is the fallacy in my arguments?
  • It's extremely short sighted because games are taking longer and longer to take.
  • Horizon 2 has already taken over 4 years and is pretty much guaranteed to miss this year according to Schrier.
  • So if a sequel which is last gen and not even next gen is taking 5 years to make then how long would a new IP thats next gen only take to make? 6 years? 7 years?
  • When should we expect this new IP from Sony Bend? 2027 at the PS6 launch?
  • Ratchet comes out this year. Literally their only AAA game this year. Horizon, TLOU factions and GoW come out next year. Whats after that?
  • do we have to wait 5 years after that to get a single sony exclusive from their AAA studios?
6 arguments. Which part do you disagree with? That games dont take longer and longer to make? Are you taking issue with the fact that Horizon has taken 4+ years to make? Are you saying next gen games will not take longer to develop? Is Sony Bend's next game going to release in 2 years? How?

Take some time to read, think and reply. Dont get triggered. Keep emotions out of it. You can do it. I have hope for you still.

Maybe by 2028, some people will realize that selling consoles isn't the key goal of the console industry anymore.

malcom tucker GIF
A strong voost. Will it come to pass?

Dont shit post. Use your brain and write a coherent response. I didnt write much so it shouldn't be hard to read through it all and formulate a response that isn't garbage like what you wrote above.

Here, I will make it easy for you and list out my arguments in bullet points for you to counter. What am I getting wrong? Where is the fallacy in my arguments?
  • It's extremely short sighted because games are taking longer and longer to take.
  • Horizon 2 has already taken over 4 years and is pretty much guaranteed to miss this year according to Schrier.
  • So if a sequel which is last gen and not even next gen is taking 5 years to make then how long would a new IP thats next gen only take to make? 6 years? 7 years?
  • Ratchet comes out this year. Literally their only AAA game this year. Horizon, TLOU factions and GoW come out next year. Whats after that?
  • do we have to wait 5 years after that to get a single sony exclusive from their AAA studios?
6 arguments. Which part do you disagree with? That games dont take longer and longer to make? Are you taking issue with the fact that Horizon has taken 4+ years to make? Are you saying next gen games will not take longer to develop? Is Sony Bend's next game going to release in 2 years? How?

Take some time to read, think and reply. Dont get triggered. Keep emotions out of it. You can do it. I have hope for you still.

Sorry, your post is shit literally and practically brainwashed by Schreier's article. Sony managed under this shit pandemic to release only console with launch exclusives, and this year is damn lit, while other competitor barely has any.

Last edited:

M16

sony fans love touting number of pieces of plastic sold, but what is concerning is this.
last holiday quarter, xbox:$5billion revenue ps:$8 billion revenue
microsoft produced less SeriesX|S consoles to sell, didnt have launch games, had half the amount of xbox ones vs ps4s
now what happens when microsofts studios start pumping out AAA game after the other every few months, and gamepass continues to explode, with more day one third party launches, and sony releasing a smaller number of games that will take long to come to market?
it will be a bloodbath

now what happens when microsofts studios start pumping out AAA game after the other every few months, and gamepass continues to explode, with more day one third party launches, and sony releasing a smaller number of games that will take long to come to market?

LOL. Yeah, episodic games maybe every month.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
sony fans love touting number of pieces of plastic sold, but what is concerning is this.
last holiday quarter, xbox:$5billion revenue ps:$8 billion revenue
microsoft produced less SeriesX|S consoles to sell, didnt have launch games, had half the amount of xbox ones vs ps4s
it will be a bloodbath
Organize Black Cat GIF by Industrial Workers of the World

Atrus

Gold Member
Top-seated console maker through 4 of 5 generations sells a console that people want to buy, sells Game of the Year blockbusters that people want to play, sells genre titles to attract a wide range of audiences, and yet somehow certain people make it seem like it's a struggling new entreant.

It's not like Sony is the one who had to delay its highly marketed flagship launch title a year or has a paper release schedule of games that historically leave severe gaming droughts in its wake generation after generation.

Dr Kaneda

Spider-Man was developed and released in less than 4 years.
Death Stranding was developed and released in less than 4 years.
Ghost of Tsushima was developed and released in 4-5 years.
Even Days Gone which went through a very messy development took 4 years.

Using Horizon 2 as evidence for a 6-7 year development time is just non-sensical.

You mean exclusives like:
  • Sackboy: A big adventure
  • Returnal,
  • Bugsnacks,
  • Destruction All-star,
  • Demon Souls,
  • Astro's Playroom,
  • Oddworld:Soulstorm
  • Godfall
Do they look like Hollywood movie to you?

Note: Those are released only 6 months after launch. Imagine the games coming.
I don't know if this list was supposed to back up the fact PS5 has good exclusives coming or reinforce the doom and gloom side?

You basically just listed Demons Souls (there's an S in DemonS, for god's sake) which isn't for everybody and a remake to boot, kiddy cartoony platformers, Fortnite on wheels that couldn't get anybody to play it even after making it free, a horrible looter with a 12 month exclusive window, and a AA roguelite that admittingly looks pretty good.

This is not a list I personally would boast about but you do you.

Skifi28

now what happens when microsofts studios start pumping out AAA game after the other every few months
I don't know, what happens? There were times on the PS4 where you had a big exclusive every month back to back, what happened then? We're all still here and fine, it'll be ok.

Last edited:

ToadMan

An opinion from IGNorant. I bet the arguments are copy-paste from video game forum experts.

That’s exactly what it is - a reference to the Bloomberg article and crying using Days Gone not getting a sequel as the risk Sony takes on these games. But IGN itself rated DG as a 6.5/10 🤷‍♂️

(oh and that IGN review was in my opinion 100% accurate
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04/25/days-gone-review )

It’s clear Sony spent a good chunk of cash on DG, it didn’t sell that well and yet Sony is still alive....

Zeroing

Banned
Yap exactly my concerns. :messenger_open_mouth:

The claims of 'Sony first party AAA games = blow you away = ps5 will do just fine = ps5 will sell gangbusters again' . Imo that is just too complacent and also different from what Playstation is known for.

Imo sticking with 'AAA' is just pumping big bucks into smaller selections and hope the studios delivers and gamers are still hooked on the type of game designs by said studios.
“don’t be suspicious, don’t be suspicious... “

SlimySnake

Sorry, your post is shit literally and practically brainwashed by Schreier's article. Sony managed under this shit pandemic to release only console with launch exclusives, and this year is damn lit, while other competitor barely has any.
So you got no rebuttals. No actual augments. You just like to go around telling people they are wrong.

Gamefaq is that way. This forum is for adults who can think for themselves and formulate some actual arguments.

P.s how old are you? Figured I'd ask before i put you on ignore.

Man the PR for Sony has been bad. I dont feel as comfortable buying a PS5 or recommending one to my friends and family. I'm not sure the sequels to third party games I bought on PS4 will be on PS5 and even if they are on PS5 maybe I can get it with better value on Gamepass.

SlimySnake

Spider-Man was developed and released in less than 4 years.
Death Stranding was developed and released in less than 4 years.
Ghost of Tsushima was developed and released in 4-5 years.
Even Days Gone which went through a very messy development took 4 years.

Using Horizon 2 as evidence for a 6-7 year development time is just non-sensical.
Insomniacs is the only Sony studio that can get games out fast.

Sony bend literally took 7.5 years to ship days gone. Their last game was uncharted vita which launched in December 2011.

Kojima is also very good at developing games fast but he's not a ps studio and jimbo said no to his game. That's a huge part of the issue.

Ghost of Tsushima came out 6.5 years after infamous. Again, your math is off.

Gow took five years. It's been three years since gow and we haven't even seen a single screenshot of gow. It's at least a year away.

If you think I'm using only horizon, you aren't paying attention.

dcmk7

Banned
This.

This is just an ignorant post.

Horizon wouldn't be greenlit today based on what exactly?

If this is your opinion then that's fair enough but don't pass it off as a fact (which is what you're doing). Let's face it, you don't know anything about the decision making involved in games being green-lit at Sony. I don't know anything about it.

To say something definitely won't be made today, without any kind of evidence, is just wishful thinking.

So you got no rebuttals. No actual augments. You just like to go around telling people they are wrong.

Only argument to these kind of post like yours is CRAP. I'm not brainwashed by Schreier's article.

EDIT : oh snap, poster above also said that your post is ignorant
You basically just listed Demons Souls (there's an S in DemonS, for god's sake) which isn't for everybody and a remake to boot, kiddy cartoony platformers, Fortnite on wheels that couldn't get anybody to play it even after making it free, a horrible looter with a 12 month exclusive window, and a AA roguelite that admittingly looks pretty good.

Luckily these kiddy "cartoony" platformers are selling well, Demons Souls is selling well and still has no frickin discount. And Fortnite, well, still has millions of players on daily basis

Last edited:
This.

horizon is this year

and I listed a lot of games that aren’t too big to fail

Sony, under Shu, are basically carving out mid tier development through more expensive indie type games

Agent X

it will be a bloodbath

We've been hearing stuff like this for the last 3 or 4 years, and yet there's nothing to show for it as of right now. When (and if) this happens, then you can begin celebrating. Until then, this is all empty talk. Don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

LOL. Yeah, episodic games maybe every month.

That would be an improvement. Better than nothing at all.

In all seriousness, episodic games are a good fit for a subscription service.

Sony is becoming a risk averse company. 90% of their output will be in sequels like God of War, Uncharted, Last of Us, Gran Turismo, SpiderMan, etc. Their plan is to invest in properties that can cross-over to the film space just like Horizon Zero Dawn so that they can squeeze as much money from their intellectual property as possible. However, I think this will stifle a lot of the creative innovation that has made PlayStation such a powerhouse for two decades and it adds nothing for consumers who would like to experience games outside of the 3rd person cinematic realm.

They got their feet wet with the Ratchet & Clank movie back in 2016, but now they are actively pursuing this strategy for most of their popular IP like Uncharted (upcoming movie), Horizon (active development as movie), Last of Us (HBO show), and more. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about God of War or even Tsushima films/shows coming down the line.

Only argument to these kind of post like yours is CRAP. I'm not brainwashed by Schreier's article.

EDIT : oh snap, poster above also said that your post is ignorant

Luckily these kiddy "cartoony" platformers are selling well, Demons Souls is selling well and still has no frickin discount. And Fortnite, well, still has millions of players on daily basis
Astro came with the system, it didn't sell. Sackboy got a 79 on Metacritic and I don't see any sales figures online. I don't see any sales figures for Demons Souls either but would love to see those as well. Maybe you're an insider and can provide those. And Fortnite on wheels doesn't have millions of players hahaha wat.

SlimySnake

This is just an ignorant post.

Horizon wouldn't be greenlit today based on what exactly?

If this is your opinion then that's fair enough but don't pass it off as a fact (which is what you're doing). Let's face it, you don't know anything about the decision making involved in games being green-lit at Sony. I don't know anything about it.

To say something definitely won't be made today, without any kind of evidence, is just wishful thinking.
Based on GG's past comments about how Sony execs had issues with Aloy being the protagonist of a risky AAA game. We do know the decision making behind the scenes of the original Horizon. GG had to fight tooth and nail to keep a red haired girl as their lead. So yes, it's definitely my opinion but its based on a fact and behind the scenes decision making straight from the horse's mouth. If anything, Sony today is a lot more risk averse.

So not exactly ignorant. What else is ignorant in my post? Did Horizon 2 not take 4+ years to make? What's ignorant about that? What is ignorant about literally asking how Sony aims to release first party AAA titles in the next 6 years when the same studios took 5 to 6 to 7 years to put out those games?

I am literally asking questions based on the facts that we do know about how long games take to develop and inviting discussion, and you call that ignorant? If anything, I literally went out of my way to not make any claims about Sony's lineup. I would love to know if you know of any other games GG, SSM and ND have in development besides Horizon, GoW and TLOU Factions and when you think those games will be released based on what we know about their previous releases.

Astro came with the system, it didn't sell. Sackboy got a 79 on Metacritic and I don't see any sales figures online. I don't see any sales figures for Demons Souls either but would love to see those as well. Maybe you're an insider and can provide those. And Fortnite on wheels doesn't have millions of players hahaha wat.

One PS5 sold - one Astro sold. Same as Wii sports before. Then you need to check PS Store download charts in US/Europe region. Sackboy, Demons and Miles especially are regularly in Top 10 since..... Nov. 2020. You don't need a sales figures to get a conclusion that these exclusives are selling well

Last edited:
Based on GG's past comments about how Sony execs had issues with Aloy being the protagonist of a risky AAA game. We do know the decision making behind the scenes of the original Horizon. GG had to fight tooth and nail to keep a red haired girl as their lead. So yes, it's definitely my opinion but its based on a fact and behind the scenes decision making straight from the horse's mouth. If anything, Sony today is a lot more risk averse.

So not exactly ignorant. What else is ignorant in my post? Did Horizon 2 not take 4+ years to make? What's ignorant about that? What is ignorant about literally asking how Sony aims to release first party AAA titles in the next 6 years when the same studios took 5 to 6 to 7 years to put out those games?

I am literally asking questions based on the facts that we do know about how long games take to develop and inviting discussion, and you call that ignorant? If anything, I literally went out of my way to not make any claims about Sony's lineup. I would love to know if you know of any other games GG, SSM and ND have in development besides Horizon, GoW and TLOU Factions and when you think those games will be released based on what we know about their previous releases.
Not to mention Sony of old would have purchased Kojima's new studio a heartbeat after he started it and made it an exclusive PlayStation studio. Instead, we are hearing reports that Kojima's pitch for a new game was rejected by Sony and that he is in negotiations to work with outside partners. That would have been unheard of even just 5 years ago.

wolffy71

Banned
The market overall and the individual companies are doing well with each of the big three having their own distinct approach. Let's not be overly dramatic about any of their downfall. They are all gonna sell well.

Top Bottom