• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation's Focus on Too Big to Fail Games Is Concerning

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
define whats casual and whats hardcore? difficulty? camera perspective? cutscenes? gameplay? i would say sony's games capture both the hardcore and casual. a good mix of the two.
I was going to say this. If it's difficulty then PS usually has a good mix of both

Games like TLOU Part II provide a good challenge and it has different toggles to increase the difficulty

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
but how is gameplay secondary? its like any other 3rd person game? you control a character. you have weapons and you shoot and kill enemies. just because it has cutscenes and a actual story and with realistic animations? i dont understand. can you explain further? uncharted even more so baffling. the ps3 trilogy especially is the definition of gameplay! all your doing is shooting for most of the game. i would understand if you said the games aint to your personal liking and taste but casual? i dont follow.
I've yet to get an answer to this question with anyone that says gameplay is secondary in PS games. Maybe that's the case if you're talking about something like Detroit Become Human...

PS games have some of the best gameplay available

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You mean exclusives like:
  • Sackboy: A big adventure
  • Returnal,
  • Bugsnacks,
  • Destruction All-star,
  • Demon Souls,
  • Astro's Playroom,
  • Oddworld:Soulstorm
  • Godfall
Do they look like Hollywood movie to you?

Note: Those are released only 6 months after launch. Imagine the games coming.
And how many of those games are actually, good, sell great, and gamers were asking for them?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My issue is Japanese game selection in Playstation system is becoming less and less with each generation, I chose Playstation because its exclusive Japanese games but they losing that and I fear PS5 only going to get western games just because they sell more.....basically become another Xbox and I don't need another Xbox.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
You mean exclusives like:
  • Returnal,
  • Bugsnacks,
  • Destruction All-star,
  • Demon Souls,
  • Astro's Playroom,
  • Godfall
Do they look like Hollywood movie to you?

Note: Those are released only 6 months after launch. Imagine the games coming.
I wouldn’t even use Bugsmack, Destruction All Stars or Godfall to wipe the jizz off the end of my flaccid limp penis. Why are these terrible games bought up in so many list wars?

And how many of those games are actually, good, sell great, and gamers were asking for them?

I wouldn’t even use Bugsmack, Destruction All Stars or Godfall to wipe the jizz off the end of my flaccid limp penis. Why are these terrible games bought up in so many list wars?

Which exclusives are good on Xbox Series and sold well??

Last edited:
Which exclusives are good on Xbox and sold well??
I dunno about selling well but so far Xbox only have one exclusive in The Medium?

So its PlayStation:
  • Returnal,
  • Bugsnacks,
  • Destruction All-star,
  • Demon Souls,
  • Astro's Playroom,
  • Godfall

Xbox:
  • The Medium

Dunno if i missed any new Xbox console exclusives. Quite shocking if it really is like that ^^^

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not to mention Sony of old would have purchased Kojima's new studio a heartbeat after he started it and made it an exclusive PlayStation studio. Instead, we are hearing reports that Kojima's pitch for a new game was rejected by Sony and that he is in negotiations to work with outside partners. That would have been unheard of even just 5 years ago.
Are we talking about the same "Sony of old" that let go of Insomniac and allowed them to publish an Xbox exclusive game (Sunset Overdrive) and multiple VR games, instead of releasing VR games on PSVR, for a direct competitor (Stormloand, Edge of Nowhere, The Unspoken) instead of acquiring them?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Do you know something we dont?
The writing's on the wall.

If we look past rumors and doom-and-gloom theories and just at facts: Sony is the only one that was prepared for this launch (better console stock, better dev tools, and better launch games). Their first year is also much better than the competition.

It's ridiculous to assume that they don't have anything prepared beyond that, and the competitor (who wasn't prepared at all) suddenly is better prepared for the future.

Also, Imran Khan also said that you guys will be surprised by how many exclusivity deals Sony has made (and how big those deals are). We haven't seen any big deals until now (except for Final Fantasy XVI). We should get more information on that front soon, I reckon. Plus, that God of War Ragnarok and HFW gameplay will shut everything down anyway.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Exclusive sell HARDWARE. Spider-Man would like a word with you. It seems you think investing in exclusive games isn't worth it. Even MS got tired of fighting that losing war, my friend, why do you think they shelled out 7.5B on Zenimax?
To feed the Game Pass of course and if they had the chance they would also offer Game Pass on PS and Switch.

SSfox

My issue is Japanese game selection in Playstation system is becoming less and less with each generation, I chose Playstation because its exclusive Japanese games but they losing that and I fear PS5 only going to get western games just because they sell more.....basically become another Xbox and I don't need another Xbox.
Yup this, i wouldn't say it's on Xbox level but it's going in that direction since a bit, sony need to start fixing this by buying platinium and Kojima Prod.

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned
Are we now complaining that Sony is making lots of BIG successful games? Where is the concern of MS almost not making anything worthwhile for more than a decade? Funny 🤣
The real issue is we have consoles out here with nothing next gen about them, no next gen games, no next gen controller just a rent service and a narcissistic following.
We got people in here talking about how console sales is not the determining factor for a successful console😂😂😂

SSfox

I dunno about selling well but so far Xbox only have one exclusive in The Medium?

So its PlayStation:
  • Returnal,
  • Bugsnacks,
  • Destruction All-star,
  • Demon Souls,
  • Astro's Playroom,
  • Godfall

Xbox:
  • The Medium

Dunno if i missed any new Xbox console exclusives. Quite shocking if it really is like that ^^^
That's the problem with Sony since mid PS3 / Xbox 360 era, they have no competition.

Last edited:

Danjin44

i wouldn't say it's on Xbox level but it's going in that direction since a bit
If Sony only relies on games that sells a lot then they going have boring game selection and that was my problem with Xbox.

I want AA Japanese games like 13 Sentinels and God Hand still exists even they don’t sell well because it makes gaming interesting and fun. If Sony only relies on cinematic western open world games just because guaranties big sell then PlayStation going have one boring ass generation.

Last edited:
No such thing as a sure fire hit, which is why you need more studios, not less.

Santa Monica’s last game before GoW 2018; GoW Ascension. 80 metacritic.

Guerrilla’s last game before Horizon Zero Dawn; Killzone Shadow Fall. 73 metacritic.

Sucker Punch’s last game before Ghost of Tsushima; Infamous Second Son. 80 metacritic.

Exactly why Sony doubling down on AAA blockbuster games. We've heard again and again. The only problem for now is Sony's silence.

AAA games is what sways perception and brand recognition. It's only wise to invest in those games instead of AA games. Leave the AA games to 3rd parties - fund them, or buy the rights to their output, whichever is cheaper.

In the recent years, the AA games that were performing not only critically but also commercially are those made by third parties. Sony's own first party AA games were not moving the needle. But it's a different story when it comes to their AAA high production games. So it's only wise that they concentrate and focus on those games.

plip.plop

I don't see the problem with Sony's direction in regards to how they run their Studios. If they want them to only make AAA blockbusters then that's their choice. They are not telling the third parties what they can and cannot put on their console.

SSfox

If Sony only relies on games that sells a lot then they going boring game selection and that was my problem with Xbox.

I want AA Japanese games like 13 Sentinels and God Hand still exists even they don’t sell well because it makes gaming interesting and fun. If Sony only relies on cinematic western open world games just because guaranties big sell then PlayStation going have one boring ass generation.
God Hand is super awesome, i finished this game countless times, IGN gave it 3/10 and it was the day where i fully realize that reviews are pure trashcan.

There's still games like GG, Nier, FF on playstation, and likely Dragon Quest. But yes playstation need more japanese games, i would have love to see a 3rd gravity game, or a new Siren. But fucking hermen hulst only cares about big them AAAA open world games, i mean i love Ghost Tsushima and Dayz Gone, but i don't want to see only open world on playstation.

Last edited:

Danjin44

God Hand is super awesome, i finished this game countless times, IGN gave it 3/10 and it was the day where i fully realize that reviews are pure trashcan.

There's still games like GG, Nier, FF on playstation, and likely Dragon Quest. But yes playstation need more japanese games, i would have love to see a 3rd gravity game, or a new Siren. But fucking hermen hulst only cares about big them AAAA open world games, i mean i love Ghost Tsushima and Dayz Gone, but i don't want to see only open world that on playstation.
The best thing about PS2 was it had nice selection of both western games and Japanese games, it was one of Sony’s biggest strength.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
So did we all forgot that it is the exact same kind of articles that there were at the beginning of the ps4 gen?When most "journalists" predicted that MS would crush Sony?Like those "Ms expects to sell a billion Xbox one" with barely any opinion and reflections in most articles stating it almost like a fact because why reflect on a PR statement when you can just instantly post it online to get clicks.
I mean almost everybody before the gen said Xbox one would beat ps4 and this gen is not different, until Sony chose to speak again then most people will shut up with their concern.Until they will stay silent again and people will once again be concerned.

NahaNago

So did we all forgot that it is the exact same kind of articles that there were at the beginning of the ps4 gen?When most "journalists" predicted that MS would crush Sony?Like those "Ms expects to sell a billion Xbox one" with barely any opinion and reflections in most articles stating it almost like a fact because why reflect on a PR statement when you can just instantly post it online to get clicks.
I mean almost everybody before the gen said Xbox one would beat ps4 and this gen is not different, until Sony chose to speak again then most people will shut up with their concern.Until they will stay silent again and people will once again be concerned.
I don't think anyone is saying that MS is going to crush Sony though. I honestly simply expect Microsoft to simply gain a lot more ground this gen.

I will say that I was worried that MS was going to crush Sony last gen but MS pr pretty much destroyed any chance of that. Sony hasn't really messed up the pr that much.

Pull n Pray

Banned
This is not how I remember it. I remember Microsoft fucking up so bad that it was over before it started, and everyone knew it. I loved the Xbox 360, and never even considered buying an Xbox One. That's how bad it was for Microsoft from my point of view.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I don't think anyone is saying that MS is going to crush Sony though. I honestly simply expect Microsoft to simply gain a lot more ground this gen.

I will say that I was worried that MS was going to crush Sony last gen but MS pr pretty much destroyed any chance of that. Sony hasn't really messed up the pr that much.
I mean there are still 4 sony is doomed threads on the first page.
This is not how I remember it. I remember Microsoft fucking up so bad that it was over before it started, and everyone knew it. I loved the Xbox 360, and never even considered buying an Xbox One. That's how bad it was for Microsoft from my point of view.
I mean pre reveal even though there were still some articles like "how xbox one will outsell the ps4 in 201* " and "Don't read too much on the ps4 selling really well".

Sw0pDiller

Actually Microsoft made PS4 so succesful with tvtvtv, always on, copy protection and number 1 reason: 100 bucks more expensive on release. Sony would have sold easily 90-100 million consoles without a single exclusive game. Casuals don't give a shit about exclusive games.
I feel it's kinda wierd to say that MS made PS4 succesfull. i would say that Sony made the PS4 succesfull. MS tried their best to make xox one succesfull trough. they launched gamepass but it did't make a dent in the succes of the PS4. they launched the one x to claim the "power" narrative and with this new launch they will try again and granted they have all the ney-sayers on the fence going against Sony. Meanwhile though. PS5 is selling out and has actual games instead of promises. well they also have promises offcourse and those promises will be paid in full with returnal, ratchet & clanck and Horzion/GOW in the end of ths year. meanwhile the are loading PS4/PS5 players with games trough PSplus, the psplus collection and "play at home"

i feel the xbox-gamepass warriors are reaching... trying to make a narrative about being a concerned gamer.

NahaNago

I mean there are still 4 sony is doomed threads on the first page.

I mean pre reveal even though there were still some articles like "how xbox one will outsell the ps4 in 201* " and "Don't read too much on the ps4 selling really well".
Sony is still selling tons of consoles ,breaking records, and making tons of money from Playstation 5. So a doomed thread means squat. I'm not a fan of Sony's direction for awhile but even I know that they are doing great and will be doing so for a long time. The thing is xbox is making great moves of late to fix it's weaknesses and Sony isn't really doing anything differently. Now things could change. I'm still waiting for the next big conference to truly see the direction that Sony is going in for this gen but at the same time Jim's nickname right now for me is Lyin' Ryan.

turtlepowa

Banned
I feel it's kinda wierd to say that MS made PS4 succesfull. i would say that Sony made the PS4 succesfull. MS tried their best to make xox one succesfull trough. they launched gamepass but it did't make a dent in the succes of the PS4. they launched the one x to claim the "power" narrative and with this new launch they will try again and granted they have all the ney-sayers on the fence going against Sony. Meanwhile though. PS5 is selling out and has actual games instead of promises. well they also have promises offcourse and those promises will be paid in full with returnal, ratchet & clanck and Horzion/GOW in the end of ths year. meanwhile the are loading PS4/PS5 players with games trough PSplus, the psplus collection and "play at home"

i feel the xbox-gamepass warriors are reaching... trying to make a narrative about being a concerned gamer.
It's not weird, it's like sports. You always profit from your opponent's mistakes. That's how Sony lost 80 million PS2 customers and Microsoft almost quadrupled it's Xbox customers. 2013 Microsoft made every mistake possible and already had lost the gen no later than 2014. XSX is also sold out and what are the next gen games Sony has? That PS3 game or that PS4 game expansion? Let's be honest both had much more games in 2013. This gen is a joke right now. Do you really think Horizon and GOW are coming this year? I press X for doubt. Not even sure if Microsoft delivers Halo in 2021.

Last edited:
But yes playstation need more japanese games, i would have love to see a 3rd gravity game, or a new Siren.

Sony's recent move of focusing on AAA high production games has nothing to do with those game not existing. Sony's decision only shows that what they value as worthy of "exclusivity" are those high production AAA games. It doesn't mean that AA games will not exist anymore in their platform.

There are a lot of 3rd party studios out with quirky and creative ideas. And in recent years, the only AA games that really made waves in gaming are those made by 3rd party developers.

The creative people who left Japan Studio has now built their own studio. Whatever they decide to make will now release on all platforms including Playstation. You still get to play them, but this time your PC master race brothers will get to play them as well. Is that why you are upset?

Are you worried that PS5 will lose its value now that AA games are not anymore exclusive? Sony don't think so. They think the "battlefield" is played in the AAA games. That's why Sony is doubling down on those high production games. And I agree with Sony.

ZywyPL

Banned
Exclusive sell HARDWARE. Spider-Man would like a word with you.Spider-Man would like a word with you. It s

Except before S-M came out there were already ~80MLN PS4 on the market... As a matter of fact, before there was any meaningful exclusive the PS4 already sold in ~40MLN units, being one of the fastest selling consoles ever. So please tell us again how exclusives sell hardware. Unless you count the 399$ price tag as an exclusive...

Bo_Hazem

Banned

So its PlayStation:
  • Returnal,
  • Bugsnacks,
  • Destruction All-star,
  • Demon Souls,
  • Astro's Playroom,
  • Godfall

Xbox:
  • The Medium

Wait until they call you Sony fanboy, while you only own Xbox Series S at the moment.

Reality hurts if you are at the receiving end. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
What I meant was, the annoying "oh no not another one " comments, are stupid and it makes Sony fans seem like they can't take any criticism.

Sony is messing up on multiple fronts, so there's nothing wrong with making articles or videos about it.

FranXico

So its PlayStation:
  • Returnal,
  • Bugsnacks,
  • Destruction All-star,
  • Demon Souls,
  • Astro's Playroom,
  • Godfall

Xbox:
  • The Medium

I'm sure there's a few other Xbox timed exclusives (mostly indies), so it's not that barren, but note how most of the PS exclusives you listed happen to also be first-party.

But yeah, Sony are bad because they "are not talking enough".
It turns out Voost Kain was an astroturfing visionary, how sad is that?

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I'm sure there's a few other Xbox timed exclusives (mostly indies), so it's not that barren, but note how most of the PS exclusives you listed happen to also be first-party.

But yeah, Sony are bad because they "are not talking enough".
It turns out Voost Kain was an astroturfing visionary, how sad is that?
Wait what do you mean about voost kain ? I only remember his "stadia is the future of video games"or something like that.

Pull n Pray

Banned

The narrative isn't being created by Xbox fans though. It's created by PlayStation fans who are genuinely concerned with the platform's direction. Sony seems asleep at the wheel right now. Xbox fans just like to shine a light on these concerns.

Everyone knows that Sony will sell a ton of PS5s. But people are right to be worried about PlayStation's future. The future of gaming is cloud based subscription services. Maybe this future is still 20 years away. It might be a while before cloud gaming is a superior experience to playing a game locally. But it will eventually happen. It's a matter of when, not if. And Microsoft has a clear and comprehensive plan for gradually transitioning Xbox to this inevitable future. Sony doesn't. Or if they do have a vision for the future, they haven't yet shared it.

Sony needs a vision that matches Microsoft's vision. In my opinion, the obvious move would be to partner with Amazon. Amazon has the opposite problem as Sony. They have a plan for the future, but no plan for the present. I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon purchased Sony sometime in the next 5 years.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned

So its PlayStation:
  • Returnal,
  • Bugsnacks,
  • Destruction All-star,
  • Demon Souls,
  • Astro's Playroom,
  • Godfall

Xbox:
  • The Medium

This is what I find shocking. How is no one talking about this??? Like how?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is what I find shocking. How is no one talking about this??? Like how?

They've built a great resilience to game starvation from last decade, so they're not bothered. Only concerned about their beloved Sony fans, which is touching.

role playing love GIF by Hyper RPG

Top Bottom