• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation's Focus on Too Big to Fail Games Is Concerning

ZywyPL

Banned
The question I have is... how have Microsoft got this 'good guy', 'Phil is our friend' reputation all of a sudden?

Does nobody even remember a couple of months ago when they tried to double the price of Xbox Live Gold to extract more money from people without GP / people who play F2P games online only? Then, due to the huge backlash against the decision (and their current reliance on good PR and word of mouth to grow their GP platform, since they're lacking exclusive AAA games), they were embarrassingly forced to scrap the plan (and likely waste a metric shit tonne of paper in all of those new XBLG in-store subscription cards they printed with the new prices) and finally concede to offering free online play for F2P games, like Sony has been doing for a long time?

TLDR: Microsoft aren't your friend. But Sony are the bad guys because they like making blockbuster GOTY after GOTY banger? Eh... what?

The attitude shifts from one to the other, depending how successful they are. MS ended X360 generation with a massive momentum, resulting with the most anti-consumer practices ever introduced to the public (especially that 24h check-out), it made people turn away from them and now they have to be humble and work hard to gain back the audience. Sony was on the same ride after PS2 where they completely obliterated everyone, with Kutaragi literally saying out loud that people will buy PS3 for 1200$ even if it has no games, and that same kind of arrogance hit them hard, forcing them to bow down to the audience, giving us the best version of Sony there ever was. And now after hugely successful PS4 they're again slowly moving to that "we don't give a fuck" attitude, and throwing an AAA game once a year is simply not enough for many to cover that up.

You quote me twice? Lmao, man i must have hit a nerve.
They cost more than $100m dollars to make these days (Jim Ryan) and the marketing is probably at least the same on top. Also the almost given away for free bundle copies count as sales. Why dou you think bundle copies exist? Selling hardware in the hope to sell services and third party games. And if you don't believe me just start a poll "How does PlayStation make the big money?" or "Why is Sony making exclusives?" I guarantee you the answer in both cases will be "(selling) services and third party games". Or why dou you think Sony is making all those super expensive timed exclusive deals? Right, they're hoping so sell some conseoles so they can then sell them services and third party games so they make some "REAL MONEY".

Sony exclusives (in contrast to Nintendo) drop super fast in price so 7 million sold games are not 7m * 60 bucks. Physical copies aren't 60 bucks neither because of material, storage, transport, retailers and so on. Revenue is not profit.

If exclusives alone would be that worthwhile, Sony would do nothing else. But they are risky, especially new ips.
None of the PS exclusive have 100 million budget....You're too ignorant and prefer let your ass do the talking when I presented you with hard data. Sorry, but no one in this thread can take you seriously because you just can't admit to your ignorance. You're welcome, and bye.

turtlepowa

Banned
None of the PS exclusive have 100 million budget...."
"The thing with those blockbuster games is that they need a box office release. They cost more than $100m dollars to make these days and in order to be able to do that and bring new IP to the market – which is a very risky thing and we did four times in the PS4 generation – you’ve got to have a box office release."
(https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/23/ps5-...on-blockbuster-releases-13638400/?ito=cbshare)

You are welcome. It was entertaining for some time, but now it's getting boring and embarassing, so i'm gonna dump you on the igonre list. Answer whatever you want and have the last word, i'm sure that's important to someone like you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom