• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation's Focus on Too Big to Fail Games Is Concerning

Bramble

The real issue is we have consoles out here with nothing next gen about them, no next gen games, no next gen controller just a rent service and a narcissistic following.
We got people in here talking about how console sales is not the determining factor for a successful console😂😂😂

Even better: XBox haÈ™ auto-HDR and FPS boost with better BC features and more BC games.

Sony releases Demon's Souls, a full fledged remake built from the ground up with 3D audio, haptic feedback, omnidirectional rolling, new weapons and armor and other improvements, a 92 Metacritic and the best graphics I have ever seen: nah, just a dumb PS3 game. We don't care about those.

SMH

Bramble

This is what I find shocking. How is no one talking about this??? Like how?

Because one platform is obviously a lot more relevant than the other. You don't hear the bottom team in a sports competition complain they didn't finished first place. That's just their place and they're just happy to survive. Can't be disappointed if you have no expectations and keep a low bar.

Edit: Gotta love this tweet also.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Maybe by 2028, some people will realize that selling consoles isn't the key goal of the console industry anymore.

malcom tucker GIF
Sarcastic Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

SSfox

Sony's recent move of focusing on AAA high production games has nothing to do with those game not existing. Sony's decision only shows that what they value as worthy of "exclusivity" are those high production AAA games. It doesn't mean that AA games will not exist anymore in their platform.

There are a lot of 3rd party studios out with quirky and creative ideas. And in recent years, the only AA games that really made waves in gaming are those made by 3rd party developers.

The creative people who left Japan Studio has now built their own studio. Whatever they decide to make will now release on all platforms including Playstation. You still get to play them, but this time your PC master race brothers will get to play them as well. Is that why you are upset?

Are you worried that PS5 will lose its value now that AA games are not anymore exclusive? Sony don't think so.
Nope, tho for me it's dumb that Sony put their games on PC, if a game like Nioh or Nier goes to PC i don't care because it's not Sony studio game, but games like Horizon or Dayz Gone one PC now that super retard dumb move.

Japan Studio made some of the best PS games and most iconic, the fact that it didn't sell 10 millions each doesn't matter for me, if we should start playing games based on sales we should all go play Pokemon and Call Of Duty. I'd much rather play a game like Death Strand Standing or Gravity Rush than some Pokemon orother 10 millions copies sales game, i can't care less about those sales, and it's one of the thing that made playstation the best place to play since ever, but with Jimbo and Hermen this aspect is slowly fading away.

If Sony will start to give importance to only to the 7 millions copies sales AAA games then in my opinion there isn't much reason to stay on playstation rather that go to another plateform as opposite as it used to be.

They think the "battlefield" is played in the AAA games. That's why Sony is doubling down on those high production games. And I agree with Sony.

Focusing on only those type games, i mean those are cool to have, but realize that if just one games of those don't sell super well and don't meet the 6-7+ millions copies like Sony want, well it will be a danger for the studio closure. While making less expensive AA games you may end up building a lot of great new IPs in your catalogue, and those games don't need super big sales and will be more than fine with just 500,000 or a million copies sold, since it don't have super high expansive budget.

Also btw, if Sony played it as safe in PS4 era there wouldn't be God Of War, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, or Dayz gone.

OCD Guy

Game pass is the perfect smoke screen for the lack of exclusive games.

The Xbox series launched without a new exclusive game. I can’t remember a console ever launching without one.

Can you imagine if Sony launched a console without new exclusive games?

Sony have returnal and ratchet launching soon plus exclusive indies.

This year alone Sony have a few exclusive games releasing, what does Microsoft have announced?

I actually find it funny that Sony are being criticised for releasing AAA games when the same outlets were using Sony’s AAA games as a reason to buy a PlayStation.

What games were in the best game of the year lists? Was it games like Last of Us or the last guardian?

Honestly I think people should be more concerned with Microsoft spending billions with no guarantee of good games. What happened to the medium? Has anyone spoke about that game recently?

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

Most of those games are on PC as well so exclusive is loosely used again. Also it all lots of you ever talk about.

When MS is dropping entire libraries of games from a major studio, adding major 3rd party games and stealing Sony own game to put on gamepass the average gamer could give 2 shits about another sackboy game.

Japan Studio made some of the best PS games and most iconic, the fact that it didn't sell 10 millions each doesn't matter for me, if we should start playing games based on sales we should all go play Pokemon and Call Of Duty. I'd much rather play a game like Death Strand Standing or Gravity Rush than some Pokemon orother 10 millions copies sales game, i can't care less about those sales, and it's one of the thing that made playstation the best place to play since ever, but with Jimbo and Hermen this aspect is slowly fading away.

You'd still get those games. Just not made internally anymore. Does it matter?

Except before S-M came out there were already ~80MLN PS4 on the market... As a matter of fact, before there was any meaningful exclusive the PS4 already sold in ~40MLN units, being one of the fastest selling consoles ever. So please tell us again how exclusives sell hardware. Unless you count the 399$ price tag as an exclusive...
I told you. Take a look at what Spider-Man did when it came out, and that's not the only game just the easy example for your lazy ass.

Good thing it has xCloud inlcuded then, this could be the last gen with real hardware anyways. Time will tell.
Hardware irrelevant in 6 to 7 years? What gives you that idea? You see any surge in cloud-gaming streaming services that I don't know about? That is not even a trend, for it to become "the norm" it would first need to show people are buying less hardware than ever and are playing mainly in those platforms. Dude, we're still watching physical media prevail over digital and that's all hardware-based, we're ages away, if ever of seeing cloud-gaming displace hardware.

turtlepowa

Banned
Hardware irrelevant in 6 to 7 years? What gives you that idea? You see any surge in cloud-gaming streaming services that I don't know about? That is not even a trend, for it to become "the norm" it would first need to show people are buying less hardware than ever and are playing mainly in those platforms. Dude, we're still watching physical media prevail over digital and that's all hardware-based, we're ages away, if ever of seeing cloud-gaming displace hardware.
It's just a gut feeling that at least Microsoft could be going for it after this gen, but surely will depend on how many people use xCloud in a few years. In my opinion it will be the future anyways, the question is just when it will happen and i think Microsoft could be the first.

SSfox

This is the kind of way of thinking of Microsoft right there: "why should we bother make games outside of Gears/Halo/Forza since we have the 3 rd party games?", of course nowaydas they're moving their asses a bit more but that's always been their core way of thinking, as opposite of Sony, and that's why i never give 1$ to MS since 2011.

You are basically encouraging Sony to become another Mircosoft, which honestly make want vomit, but tho i can't vomit since it's Ramadhan.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It's not weird, it's like sports. You always profit from your opponent's mistakes. That's how Sony lost 80 million PS2 customers and Microsoft almost quadrupled it's Xbox customers. 2013 Microsoft made every mistake possible and already had lost the gen no later than 2014. XSX is also sold out and what are the next gen games Sony has? That PS3 game or that PS4 game expansion? Let's be honest both had much more games in 2013. This gen is a joke right now. Do you really think Horizon and GOW are coming this year? I press X for doubt. Not even sure if Microsoft delivers Halo in 2021.
Objectively, PS5 has the better launch window it's not really up for debate no matter how much people try to downplay what PS5 has released and what's coming soon

This is the kind of way of thinking of Microsoft right there: "why should we bother make games outside of Gears/Halo/Forza since we have the 3 rd party games?",

Didn't Jim Ryan told you that they're doubling down on AAA games? What in closing Japan Studio tells you that they will just regurgitate 3 IPs like MS does? What AAA game studio did Sony close as of late? Even Bend Studio is now working on a New IP and not a sequel. How is that a regurgitation of the same game again?

Your arguments are all over the place and I don't think you're reading my posts you were responding to.

Last edited:

Spacefish

why keep naughty dog around when they could just pay for tomb raider to be exclusive? why keep sucker punch around? they can just pay for assassins creed exclusivity, why keep any in house talent when there are always alternatives they can poach? Obviously because you like the output of that particular studio. There was 27 years of history and institutional knowledge at that studio, There is no indie like japan studio and there will never be. Beyond this there is a big difference between a studio who is capable of anything from tiny to massive games choosing the size and budget according to their game rather than a small indie who has the scale of their game capped by experience and necessity. It is telling that Naughty dog was unable (or unwilling due to corporate culture) to come up with an interim project to feed their team while the creative leads figure out their next game, this somehow made a remake of an 8 year old game (that already has a remaster) a good idea. This is what happens when all you have practice with is mega hits that take 6+ years to develop. Creativity is a muscle you flex with smaller projects, only japan studio had enough experience to shift to any genre or size and conjure up something interesting.

If your corporate culture is so blind it doesn't value talent at that level then they can fuck off, creative bankruptcy is inevitable in that environment.

Last edited:
why keep naughty dog around when they could just pay for tomb raider to be exclusive? why keep sucker punch around?

Because they make AAA games. That's where exclusivity matters. :messenger_winking:

There is no indie like japan studio and there will never be.

The creatives from Japan Studio has built their own studio now. So, if they make a multi-platform game that will also release on PS5, what difference does it make? Are you mad it's not exclusive?

only japan studio had enough experience to shift to any genre or size and conjure up something interesting.

You haven't been paying attention to multitudes of AA creative games from 3rd parties then.

It's not weird, it's like sports. You always profit from your opponent's mistakes. That's how Sony lost 80 million PS2 customers and Microsoft almost quadrupled it's Xbox customers. 2013 Microsoft made every mistake possible and already had lost the gen no later than 2014. XSX is also sold out and what are the next gen games Sony has? That PS3 game or that PS4 game expansion? Let's be honest both had much more games in 2013. This gen is a joke right now. Do you really think Horizon and GOW are coming this year? I press X for doubt. Not even sure if Microsoft delivers Halo in 2021.
On one post you say exclusives don't matter and on another ia the opposite. Make up your mind. I guess PC Gaming is totally irrelevant since it's perennially BC...

Look at this:

PS5 atm has 40 games rated over 70 and yes in that list there's tons of 3rd parties and almost all of them are also on last gen consoles and PC. Since PS5 is full BC with PS4, it has an advantage PS4 didn't have and thus has inherited thousands of games from the previous gen and many are PlayStation exclusive and also play a lot better on PS5.

The new gen is young, it launched on tough times and we can barely catch a console at a retailer with extreme difficulty. I'd say the PS5 library in particular is immensely robust, no matter if the best games you can play on it are old PS4 games, they are still great games that I bet you and plenty other people can't possibly have gone through them all.

And they're better on the PS5. Significantly better. And this will go on, BC games like Horizon 2, we'll be all the better playing it on a PS5, just like a PC gamer is all the better playing games on a current top tier PC than a top tier PC from 2013 (PC has no games omg!, those PCs with 970s are playing the same stuff my 3080 is playing! Cancel the new GPUs inmediately!).

So again, make up your mind about the relevance and importance of "exclusive" games to you.

As a bonus: a look at the PS4 launch window:

2013: 20 games above 70 metascore. FLOWER at the top , that's a system seller no doubt. Plenty more indies in that top 20 too.

2014 thru April: the best gamea were FEZ, Rayman Legends, Towerfall Ascension, Tomb Raider Definitive Edition, Child of Light, Steamworld Dig. Star Wars Pinball, and INFAMOUS Second Son (these are all the games 80 or above). Then Trials Fusion, Don't Starve, Outlast, Strider, MGSV prologue aka Ground Zeroes, those round up the rest of games 70 or better through April 2014.

Geez, I wonder what moved people to buy a PS4 back then lol. I know I was still comfortable playing Dark Souls 2 and many other great games on my PS3. I see a LOT more reason to buy a PS5 at launch or right now compared to the PS4 launch.

Last edited:

SSfox

Didn't Jim Ryan told you that they're doubling down on AAA games? What in closing Japan Studio tells you that they will just regurgitate 3 IPs like MS does? What AAA game studio did Sony close as of late? Even Bend Studio is now working on a New IP and not a sequel. How is that a regurgitation of the same game again?

Your arguments are all over the place and I don't think you're reading my posts you were responding to.
I promise i read your post from start to end.

why keep naughty dog around when they could just pay for tomb raider to be exclusive? why keep sucker punch around? they can just pay for assassins creed exclusivity, why keep any in house talent when there are always alternatives they can poach? Obviously because you like the output of that particular studio. There was 27 years of history and institutional knowledge at that studio, There is no indie like japan studio and there will never be. Beyond this there is a big difference between a studio who is capable of anything from tiny to massive games choosing the size and budget according to their game rather than a small indie who has the scale of their game capped by experience and necessity. It is telling that Naughty dog was unable (or unwilling due to corporate culture) to come up with an interim project to feed their team while the creative leads figure out their next game, this somehow made a remake of an 8 year old game (that already has a remaster) a good idea. This is what happens when all you have practice with is mega hits that take 6+ years to develop. Creativity is a muscle you flex with smaller projects, only japan studio had enough experience to shift to any genre or size and conjure up something interesting.

If your corporate culture is so blind it doesn't value talent at that level then they can fuck off, creative bankruptcy is inevitable in that environment.

Thank you, you summarized my thoughts.

Sony are starting not even have a real personality and identity, more like a Microsoft 2.0, porting games on PC, betting mainly on only super huge games, closing talented studio because "muh it don't sell 10 millions copies", ect

Anyways, we will see how it will unfold, but Sony need to keep in my mind that i and many others supported them since the start for reasons, if they're gonna throw their core philosophy and continue to dig into that only AAAA well IPs allowed, and if Microsoft will start becoming smart and do good things, Sony won't own that 1st place for too long i can assure it.

Spacefish

Because they make AAA games. That's where exclusivity matters. :messenger_winking:

The creatives from Japan Studio has built their own studio now. So, if they make a multi-platform game that will also release on PS5, what difference does it make? Are you mad it's not exclusive?

You haven't been paying attention to multitudes of AA creative games from 3rd parties then.
I don't know if you're being sarcastic but the AAA distinction is meaningless beyond corporate spending, production values are a card you play in lieu of anything substantive. Most of Nintendo's first party budgets pale in comparison to the new AAA space yet the draw is just as powerful. Some of the creatives made their own studio, most will just disappear into existing Japanese devs, the majority of that hard earned institutional knowledge is gone. Sorry but there are no AA third party studios with even half the legacy of Japan studio.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Some AA games wouldn't exists it weren't exclusives, there is a good reason why games like Bayonetta and Astral Chain are currently exclusive to Nintendo.

turtlepowa

Banned
On one post you say exclusives don't matter and on another ia the opposite. Make up your mind. I guess PC Gaming is totally irrelevant since it's perennially BC...

Look at this:

PS5 atm has 40 games rated over 70 and yes in that list there's tons of 3rd parties and almost all of them are also on last gen consoles and PC. Since PS5 is full BC with PS4, it has an advantage PS4 didn't have and thus has inherited thousands of games from the previous gen and many are PlayStation exclusive and also play a lot better on PS5.

The new gen is young, it launched on tough times and we can barely catch a console at a retailer with extreme difficulty. I'd say the PS5 library in particular is immensely robust, no matter if the best games you can play on it are old PS4 games, they are still great games that I bet you and plenty other people can't possibly have gone through them all.

And they're better on the PS5. Significantly better. And this will go on, BC games like Horizon 2, we'll be all the better playing it on a PS5, just like a PC gamer is all the better playing games on a current top tier PC than a top tier PC from 2013 (PC has no games omg!, those PCs with 970s are playing the same stuff my 3080 is playing! Cancel the new GPUs inmediately!).

So again, make up your mind about the relevance and importance of "exclusive" games to you.
Of course do exclusives matter to some people, but they are not the killer argument die hard fans want them to be. Not even close. Like others said before, consoles also sell like hot cake without them. 40 millions PS4s were sold without a single blockbuster AAA. Series X is sold out without a single next gen game, PS5 is sold out with a PS3 game.

To be honest i have no idea why you are talking about BC and how games look/run better on PS5 than on PS4.

Of course do exclusives matter to some people, but they are not the killer argument die hard fans want them to be. Not even close. Like others said before, consoles also sell like hot cake without them. 40 millions PS4s were sold without a single blockbuster AAA. Series X is sold out without a single next gen game, PS5 is sold out with a PS3 game.

To be honest i have no idea why you are talking about BC and how games look/run better on PS5 than on PS4.
They sell more with the exclusives. More is better, right? It's significant. Only 20 million more? 30 million? I don't know, it could be measured to some degree. I bet they have and they do, that's why they keep investing on them.

turtlepowa

Banned
They sell more with the exclusives. More is better, right? It's significant. Only 20 million more? 30 million? I don't know, it could be measured to some degree. I bet they have and they do, that's why they keep investing on them.
More? Sure. Significantly? Highly doubt this. Not even Sony can say why exactly person X bought their console. They just hope people buy a console because of one of their exclusives and then make them some real money with 3rd parties ans subscriptions. That's the only reason why they exist, but even Sony can't have exact numbers on that.
So we can agree that exclusives definately sell some consoles, but i think we have completely different ideas about the numbers and the importance.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
More? Sure. Significantly? Highly doubt this. Not even Sony can say why exactly person X bought their console. They just hope people buy a console because of one of their exclusives and then make them some real money with 3rd parties ans subscriptions. That's the only reason why they exist, but even Sony can't have exact numbers on that.
So we can agree that exclusives definately sell some consoles, but i think we have completely different ideas about the numbers and the importance.
Agreed.

People can even look at it from a PC gamer perspective.

Are PC gamers upgrading only when there's a hot new PC only game that comes out that requires the latest CPU and GPU? Don't think so.

PC gamers (like console gamers) have so many games to play that are common, as well as each platform has their own set of exclusives. There's already too any to play. But the key reason for upgrading is better performance and graphics for whatever games are already out and known franchises coming soon. And if there's some awesome PC only games coming out soon that's bonus.

This can also be applied to console gaming. Not everyone cares about first party exclusives. I'm part of the Xbox ecosystem because I like the system, games, BC and the controller layout. I don't even play Halo or Fable. And my experience with Forza and Gears isnt much. For PS, aside from maybe playing GOW3 and Dead Nation, I don't see any exclusives I want to play on PS either. Their baseball game would probably rank third best and by pure luck it's coming to Xbox GP.

Just to prove first party games arent even big sellers as a whole, let's say for example these Sony games sold this on PS4:

LoU2 20 million
Spidey 20 million
GOW 20 million
GT Sport 20 million
Uncharted 20 million
Days Gone 10 million
Ghosts 10 million
Dream 5 million
----------------
Total 125 million copies

Number of PS4 consoles sold right now. About 125 million. Maybe even more. So the average PS gamer has one game across their heavy hitters. One. For every gamer with 2-3, or even all 8, that means tons of people with ZERO of these first party games to balance it out.

And I'm pretty sure my sales estimates are even over-estimated for these 8.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Game pass is the perfect smoke screen for the lack of exclusive games.

The Xbox series launched without a new exclusive game. I can’t remember a console ever launching without one.

Can you imagine if Sony launched a console without new exclusive games?

Sony have returnal and ratchet launching soon plus exclusive indies.

This year alone Sony have a few exclusive games releasing, what does Microsoft have announced?

I actually find it funny that Sony are being criticised for releasing AAA games when the same outlets were using Sony’s AAA games as a reason to buy a PlayStation.

What games were in the best game of the year lists? Was it games like Last of Us or the last guardian?

Honestly I think people should be more concerned with Microsoft spending billions with no guarantee of good games. What happened to the medium? Has anyone spoke about that game recently?
Yeah as someone who buys consoles for exclusive software, the XSX isn't even an option I would consider

Ok then. It's not significant you say. "Some consoles". They hope people buy the exclusives...lmao.

Yep returnal goes directly against the to big to fail mentalilty.
Fire Garbage GIF

Yeh if big sellers was all Sony care about than returnal wouldn't be a thing. Nobody is expecting returnal to do massive numbers. How is it not risky for sony to fund a new ip from a studio doing their first AAA game? Makes no sense. In reality it's the opposite. Sony are the ones who seem to take the most risk with many new unproven ip.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Most of those games are on PC as well so exclusive is loosely used again. Also it all lots of you ever talk about.

When MS is dropping entire libraries of games from a major studio, adding major 3rd party games and stealing Sony own game to put on gamepass the average gamer could give 2 shits about another sackboy game.
Sackboy > The Show for me personally

Spacefish

Sony are the ones who seem to take the most risk with many new unproven ip.
You guys are always talking talking past tense, sure the ps5 is selling well based on momentum from a prior console, sure they greenlit some projects years and years ago, we're talking current Sony. we don't know when or who was responsible for greenlighting Returnal but it probably wasn't the current leadership team. It is also trying so hard to look like a premium AAA sony game that it barely offers any reassurance. I think returnal actually looks pretty shit, aesthetically its boring and feels like a small dev overstretching and trying to be something its not, If it wasn't for housemarque's history I wouldn't make it through a trailer. It's not going to sell well at $70 and Sony are going to run with that data.

Wait until they call you Sony fanboy, while you only own Xbox Series S at the moment.

Reality hurts if you are at the receiving end. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
Honestly I don't give a shit who calls me what.

I've been open and honest about my preferred brand for the longest time now. I love Sony but I can also appreciate Xbox. I'm not a fanboy. If tomorrow Xbox comes out with a killer service or game, I'll celebrate that alongside the green team on this forum. Same goes for Sony.
I didn't take any sort of blood oath to PS or Xbox. But facts are facts. PS5 has more unique experiences out right now than Xbox. It may not all be stellar games but at least its something. Anyone wanting to argue that can suck a fat one. Play on whatever platform you want and be happy.

I've just invested a ton more money into PS so that's where I want to take my next gen adventure when PS5 is readily available.

BTW: My PS4 Pro is getting repaired so I'll soon have that up and running. I miss playing Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone.

Last edited:
You guys are always talking talking past tense, sure the ps5 is selling well based on momentum from a prior console, sure they greenlit some projects years and years ago, we're talking current Sony. we don't know when or who was responsible for greenlighting Returnal but it probably wasn't the current leadership team. It is also trying so hard to look like a premium AAA sony game that it barely offers any reassurance. I think returnal actually looks pretty shit, aesthetically its boring and feels like a small dev overstretching and trying to be something its not, If it wasn't for housemarque's history I wouldn't make it through a trailer. It's not going to sell well at $70 and Sony are going to run with that data.

" we're sick of sony's AAA premium cinematic games"

* sony makes something different*

"returnal looks pretty shit and doesnt look like a premium sony game!"

make your damn mind up already!

Spacefish

" we're sick of sony's AAA premium cinematic games"

* sony makes something different*

"returnal looks pretty shit and doesnt look like a premium sony game!"

make your damn mind up already!
That's not what I said, it looks shit because it's trying and failing to look like a premium Sony game. Why are they trying for something that is only impressive because of production values and writing? they have no idea how to do either.

Last edited:
I'll leave this here...

But no matter, let's better go with your "gut". Sony makes exclusives in the hopes they will sell "some consoles", and "some people" would buy then so they can then sell them services and third party games so they make some "REAL MONEY"... 20 million, 10 million, 7 million copies sold etc. may noy seem a lot to you, even compared to 70 million, and 100 millon consoles sold, but that 10% of the installed based who bought them that's a lot of money and it also moves significant hardware sales. But if 400, 500 million is not real money to you, I don't know what is. Consider yourself served.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
Consider yourself served.
You quote me twice? Lmao, man i must have hit a nerve.
They cost more than $100m dollars to make these days (Jim Ryan) and the marketing is probably at least the same on top. Also the almost given away for free bundle copies count as sales. Why dou you think bundle copies exist? Selling hardware in the hope to sell services and third party games. And if you don't believe me just start a poll "How does PlayStation make the big money?" or "Why is Sony making exclusives?" I guarantee you the answer in both cases will be "(selling) services and third party games". Or why dou you think Sony is making all those super expensive timed exclusive deals? Right, they're hoping so sell some conseoles so they can then sell them services and third party games so they make some "REAL MONEY".

Sony exclusives (in contrast to Nintendo) drop super fast in price so 7 million sold games are not 7m * 60 bucks. Physical copies aren't 60 bucks neither because of material, storage, transport, retailers and so on. Revenue is not profit.

If exclusives alone would be that worthwhile, Sony would do nothing else. But they are risky, especially new ips.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
[...] and that's not the only game just the easy example for your lazy ass.

One convenient one, isn't it? Because realistically, when you take all the exclusives PS4 got throughout its entire lifespan, which is dozens, how many actually broke the 10M barrier? Or even just 5M? You can count on literally just one hard, while all the rest was already forgotten the day they debuted. Sorry, but you can't convince me that people rushed for PS4 so badly in 2013-14 for a game from 2018 no one knew was even coming, including Insomniac themselves...

Yeh if big sellers was all Sony care about than returnal wouldn't be a thing. Nobody is expecting returnal to do massive numbers. How is it not risky for sony to fund a new ip from a studio doing their first AAA game? Makes no sense. In reality it's the opposite. Sony are the ones who seem to take the most risk with many new unproven ip.
Returnal was greenlit years ago, possibly when their strategy was a different one. We'll see what that looks like in June but Returnal really isn't the smoking gun you think it is.

The question I have is... how have Microsoft got this 'good guy', 'Phil is our friend' reputation all of a sudden?

Does nobody even remember a couple of months ago when they tried to double the price of Xbox Live Gold to extract more money from people without GP / people who play F2P games online only? Then, due to the huge backlash against the decision (and their current reliance on good PR and word of mouth to grow their GP platform, since they're lacking exclusive AAA games), they were embarrassingly forced to scrap the plan (and likely waste a metric shit tonne of paper in all of those new XBLG in-store subscription cards they printed with the new prices) and finally concede to offering free online play for F2P games, like Sony has been doing for a long time?

TLDR: Microsoft aren't your friend. But Sony are the bad guys because they like making blockbuster GOTY after GOTY banger? Eh... what?

Last edited:
Top Bottom