• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer is teasing the rumored Xbox streaming stick/console codenamed Keystone in a new shelf photo

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
i have an amazon firestick hooked up to the old plasma in my living room. the thing is slow as shit and sucks. if this is cheap and especially if it comes with a controller i'll buy one just to replace that.

ParaSeoul

Keystone

noun

The central principle or part of a policy, system, etc., on which all else depends.

Weird codename for a tertiary device.

Last edited:
Cloud streaming has been ass for me always, I have gigabit internet and it still has a delay.

this is a hard NO thanks from me.
Sounds like something internally with wiring in your house, apartment or dwelling. There’s no way your getting a gig in and think it looks shit.
Had a bum splitter somewhere in my house that was cutting my speed by half made the cable guy find it and fix the problem. Now everything is peachy.

Schmick

It will be interesting to see how well it does. xCloud works really well over wifi.
I hope people don't get caught out by the different frequencies. I found xCloud didn't run well whilst connected to my WiFi. I did a little investigating only to find that my router was set to 2.4ghz only. I have no idea why it would be set to that. Anyway its now set to 2.4ghz and 5ghz and xCloud works really well on my phone with a Kishi controller.

That's too big for a stick. Doesn't your tvs comes with xcloud? Why do you need this for?
Come on, you know the answer to that. Only 2022 Samsung TV have xCloud. I can tell you now... my 1080p LG TV will never have xCloud.

The Rub

Gamepass will be required to use the device
Not if you can play your owned games as per the rumour.

Xbox series c
C for cloud
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

It’s going to flop hard
Its going to flop like a fish

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Bet time!

This thing will sell more than the series S/X and PS5 combined. It'll be so popular, that it'll usher in a new era of streaming gaming and consign the current model of buying expensive hardware to the history books.

In all honesty, I'm very excited about this a future. A future of a streaming and subscription combo where every game known to humanity can be played on anything with a screen and a internet connection, all for just one monthly payment.

What's not to love?

FunkMiller

As someone who travels a fair bit I can definitely see me getting one of these - especially if it allows you to stream games you own on your Series X.

Menzies

Banned
I picked up a cheap 4k tv for my bedroom during lockdown. It’s not a smart tv beyond a native YouTube app. For a reasonable price below a series S, I’ll pick this up for a little gaming sesh here and there and some more smart tv features.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Keystone

noun

The central principle or part of a policy, system, etc., on which all else depends.

Weird codename for a tertiary device.

Orbis

noun

circle, territory/region, sphere

Weird codename for the platform that birthed Knack.

:pie_thinking:

If you live in a bubble where you think everyone has amazing Internet connections and lives right next to a Xbox server then yeh, maybe.

That is a problem that's up to them to figure out. But, unlike Stadia, it's not their only or primary business model so it's not as consequential whether this device fails or succeeds.

Topher

Gold Member
I hope people don't get caught out by the different frequencies. I found xCloud didn't run well whilst connected to my WiFi. I did a little investigating only to find that my router was set to 2.4ghz only. I have no idea why it would be set to that. Anyway its now set to 2.4ghz and 5ghz and xCloud works really well on my phone with a Kishi controller.

Love my Kishi. That is interesting about the frequencies. Would that be an xCloud issue though? I guess it could be a problem in that app itself.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Bet time!

This thing will sell more than the series S/X and PS5 combined. It'll be so popular, that it'll usher in a new era of streaming gaming and consign the current model of buying expensive hardware to the history books.

In all honesty, I'm very excited about this a future. A future of a streaming and subscription combo where every game known to humanity can be played on anything with a screen and a internet connection, all for just one monthly payment.

What's not to love?
Sure. I'll take this bet. What are we betting?

Trunx81

Just bring GamePass to the Fire TV stick and let people buy the controller. Does it really need to be a proprietary hardware?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Honestly when I travel I mostly stay in homes because we usually stay a week or two at a time somewhere and the hotels I do stay in I have never had an issue with their WiFi
Why not bring an S then? Or a switch? Or a steamdeck? Surely its not that much more portable than these options and you would get a superior experience.

Last edited:

Schmick

Love my Kishi. That is interesting about the frequencies. Would that be an xCloud issue though? I guess it could be a problem in that app itself.
I don't know. I had issues with the image stuttering when connected to the router directly. Whilst I had no issues with xCloud when connected to my TP Link Powerline Wifi Extender which I use when I'm upstairs. The TP Link is set to transmit at 5ghz.

Going to the routers admin settings and selecting 2.4ghz and 5ghz (i need 2.4ghz working still so my kids Amazon Fire tablets still work and connect to the the WiFi) made a huge difference. Its much better.

The Kishi is probably one of my favourite purchases in a long time. I was lucky to get one on eBay for £32 plus packaging (V1 model). I've recently completed 'Inside' on xCloud with the Kishi lying in bed. Its a brilliant game (thank you MS rewards for suggesting it). Being able to charge your phone with the Kishi plugged in is a major advantage too.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Why not bring an S then? Or a switch? Or a steamdeck? Surely its not that much more portable than these options and you would get a superior experience.
I have brought my Series X a few times when I know we are away from home for quite awhile and you are right it will be by far a superior experience.

This thing needs to be really portable to beat out me buying a Series S for traveling

Ozriel

M$FT
That's too big for a stick. Doesn't your tvs comes with xcloud? Why do you need this for?

Most TVs don’t have XCloud support.

I mean honestly what for? Just buy a hdmi cable for your phone. Far smaller to carry around and far cheaper too.

Buy a USB-C to HDMI adapter + purchase a controller for $60 + lose all access to your phone while gaming vs buying this puck for $99.

I know which one sounds more reasonable.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have brought my Series X a few times when I know we are away from home for quite awhile and you are right it will be by far a superior experience.

This thing needs to be really portable to beat out me buying a Series S for traveling

Based on the picture, its dimensions look close to, maybe a little elongated, than a standard Xbox controller. Should be easy enough to put in a hangbag or something.

Schmick

There are plenty of things in life that are only options that people discuss and voice their thoughts on.

Thanks for letting me know though.
Yep and you came into the conversation with this beauty.
You guys are still trying to force this streaming nonsense huh?
Anyway you are welcome. I'm more than happy to discuss the optional xCloud.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Based on the picture, its dimensions look close to, maybe a little elongated, than a standard Xbox controller. Should be easy enough to put in a hangbag or something.
Might even get smaller if this Tweet is them remotely being serious

I too know Xbox really wanted it to be the size of a streaming stick that just plugged into a TV like a Firestick, its where the whole stick part got traction

Top Bottom