• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer is teasing the rumored Xbox streaming stick/console codenamed Keystone in a new shelf photo

Draugoth

Gold Member
FeuE2IpWAAEXDfs

Last edited:
Prediction time.

They are going to call these sticks Xbox Series [Something]. They will be obviously cheap, as they aren't actual console hardware, to the point where they are basically given away.

Then, six months later, they will suddenly decide to start sharing Xbox Series console sales numbers, where they count each of these keychain consoles as a full Xbox Series hardware sale.

Suddenly, transparency will be super important to the Xbox division again like it was early on with the 360.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
Prediction time.

They are going to call these sticks Xbox Series [Something]. They will be obviously cheap, as they aren't actual console hardware, to the point where they are basically given away.

Then, six months later, they will suddenly decide to start sharing Xbox Series console sales numbers, where they count each of these keychain consoles as a full Xbox Series hardware sale..

Suddenly, transparency will be super important to the Xbox division again like it was early on with the 360.
Trying Never Give Up GIF by Britannia on EPIX

T-Cake

The problem is the cloud streaming looks shit on any display above tablet size because they're either over-compressing the video and not using a high enough bitrate. They really need to get their arses in gear and use the full power of the Series X to deliver 4K streaming.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Prediction time.

Then, six months later, they will suddenly decide to start sharing Xbox Series console sales numbers, where they count each of these keychain consoles as a full Xbox Series hardware sale..

How would that make you feel?

Mr Moose

Wait...
Microsoft first announced it was planning an Xbox streaming device last year, and many had incorrectly assumed it would be a stick that would plug directly into a HDMI port. While Microsoft is still working on this Xbox streaming console, codenamed Keystone, it will be more of a box or puck-like device that attaches to monitors and TVs.
That's... The same fucking thing?

I see two possible prices.

Sell a year of GamePass for $150 and give the stick for free.

Sell the stick for $150 which includes a year of GamePass.

Who knows which it will be. It's up to the accountants at Xbox now.
Too expensive for a streaming device when I can buy Amazon's 4K stream box for $60. Amazon, being a direct competitor, it would be smart for MS to offer it for $50.

Elbereth

The problem is the cloud streaming looks shit on any display above tablet size because they're either over-compressing the video and not using a high enough bitrate. They really need to get their arses in gear and use the full power of the Series X to deliver 4K streaming.

This has been my experience as well. I have a series S and a Series X in the household. 500/500 Mbps Internet, wired (gigabit LAN) for Series X, Wi-Fi (Series S). So many artifacts while using Cloud streaming I just stopped trying. Stadia and GeForce now have been far superior.

I hope they improve the service a bit before launching the stick.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's never been completely perfect for me, but many times it works shockingly well. This is going to be a great option for people without a nextgen console or Xbox that want to jump in on stuff. Could be a major factor in newer gaming markets as well that have great internet infrastructure but game pricing is absurdly high. Japan also could find it appealing.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Prediction time.

You only brought this up because you are worried it will interfere with your console warz.

Last edited:

Mowcno

Xbox cloud streaming is still an absolute mess for me here in the UK. I've used Geforce Now, Stadia, psnow and the Xbox cloud streaming and Xbox is the only one I've found unplayable. I've tried it several times over the past few years. Worst image quality, least stability and crazy smearing artifacts.

No way I'd get a streaming only Xbox.

As is the nature with cloud streaming I imagine the service works much better for some people depending on location and other factors but it's odd that of the 5 I've tried Xbox is the only one that doesn't work right for me.

Top Bottom