• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer is teasing the rumored Xbox streaming stick/console codenamed Keystone in a new shelf photo

pasterpl

Cracking Up Lol GIF
We do accept lag across stationary consoles and playing on flat screens, so if the lag is not making game unplayable, people, are likely to accept it to some level. Not so sure why this is funny. There is always a lag present.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We do accept lag across stationary consoles and playing on flat screens, so if the lag is not making game unplayable, people, are likely to accept it to some level. Not so sure why this is funny. There is always a lag present.
So let's just add on top of it where people get elite controllers so they can have every single edge they can get in these twitch games.

I know some's favorite brand is jumping into streaming more and more now, but let's not kid ourselves.

pasterpl

So let's just add on top of it where people get elite controllers so they can have every single edge they can get in these twitch games.

I know some's favorite brand is jumping into streaming more and more now, but let's not kid ourselves.
No one sane willl be buying that streaming box (if it is reality) for $99 with standard controller included to then buy $169 elite controller on top with hope that they will perform better.

Mephisto40

Have you ever tried one of these "game streaming services" over wifi before?

"Acceptable lag" would be fine, the problem is "acceptable lag" doesn't exist over wifi if you are streaming games, if the console or device isnt connected via ethernet it simply does not work properly

And don't even get me started trying to stream games over a hotels wifi if you travel, you may as well just buy a series s and take the console with you

MarkMe2525

This is just anecdotal of course, but I played deathloop on Xcloud (the reason i brought the game up) eveynight last weekend, while I was in Chicago. I performed as usual, it was a really good experience.
Ezekiel_ Ezekiel_ I'm curious... did you actually find what I said funny, or did you just have a seizure when you saw a positive experience with a MS product, and accidently click the emoji?

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

"Acceptable lag" would be fine, the problem is "acceptable lag" doesn't exist over wifi if you are streaming games, if the console or device isnt connected via ethernet it simply does not work properly

And don't even get me started trying to stream games over a hotels wifi if you travel, you may as well just buy a series s and take the console with you
I posted my experience, a few posts up from yours, of me playing Deathloop on the cloud while on a hotels wifi. It was awesome. Tbh, I wasn't expecting a good experience because I keep seeing statements like the one you provided. In practice, it was great.

Edit: more context. It was the free wifi at 5-6 Mbps.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Have you actually tried it? My console is connected via WiFi and I have no issue with streaming at this point. Yes, there is some degradation to IQ as a result of the streaming tech, but the stream appears to hold relatively steady in bit rate now (where in the past it could drastically reduce at more stressful moments of games and things would get a bit pixelated). Plus the audio issues they had at the beginning seem resolved. WiFi isn't what it was 10 or 15 years ago, you can game online over WiFi without issue.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Or is this a new series S redesign? Ms engineers active the (almost) impossible via a custom amd all in one chip? I mean the Steam Deck is pretty small if you take way the screen, and already 2tf on a battery........

I mean if my team put this together and I were Phil, I'd be eager to put it on the shelf....

If true, I'd have to question though why not 2 models, one to replace S for $199, another as a hybrid with a screen for $349-$399.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

If it really is $99, it's essentially a $40 entry point into some gaming if you need a controller, and most casuals who would want this will probably need one. Is a Series S better? Yes. But that's $300. I'm sure you can find deals that essentially make it $200 if you subtract a controller and a game, but for anyone needing a controller anyway, $40 for this is a great way to get people into the ecosystem. Smart.

DaGwaphics

Or is this a new series S redesign? Ms engineers active the (almost) impossible via a custom amd all in one chip? I mean the Steam Deck is pretty small if you take way the screen, and already 2tf on a battery........

I mean if my team put this together and I were Phil, I'd be eager to put it on the shelf....

If true, I'd have to question though why not 2 models, one to replace S for $199, another as a hybrid with a screen for $349-$399.

That would be quite a feat of engineering if they could get the XSS into a package that small. Even at 5nm, I don't think they'd be down to that size.

Helghan

To be fair I was in Seattle, but I was streaming over hotel wifi and didn't have an issue.

The Alien

Banned
If this is gonna be like $100 and announced soon (aka in time for the holiays), they may have a huge winner on their hands. Huge.

Companies are making a huge gamble on streaming because they want to emulate Netflix but they don't realize they are opening up pandora's box in doing so.

Ultimately, this isn't how most people want to game and that is why Stadia failed as predictably as it did.

Not saying this doesn't have a market, it probably could as others have mentioned when bundled with Game Pass, the price of the hardware can essentially be subsidized.

It doesn't need to take over gaming, but if it helps you get an extra 3-5 million users on GamePass, that's probably a win for them.

Maybe they go a step further and try and compete with the FireStick and Roku and lean into video as well.

Sorcerer

Why would this succeed when things like stadia have failed?
If you market it as any streaming box such as an Apple tv Roku, etc with the benefit of cloud gaming/gamepass on the side it could succeed. For 99 bucks no 300/500 dollar console needed. People might take a chance on it. If the cloud aspect does not work out for them they still have a streaming box. Thing is if Microsoft brings this to those streaming boxes as well, then this might seem pointless on its own.

MarkMe2525

Companies are making a huge gamble on streaming because they want to emulate Netflix but they don't realize they are opening up pandora's box in doing so.

Ultimately, this isn't how most people want to game and that is why Stadia failed as predictably as it did.

Not saying this doesn't have a market, it probably could as others have mentioned when bundled with Game Pass, the price of the hardware can essentially be subsidized.

It doesn't need to take over gaming, but if it helps you get an extra 3-5 million users on GamePass, that's probably a win for them.

Maybe they go a step further and try and compete with the FireStick and Roku and lean into video as well.
I would argue that stadia failed due to many factors that aren't relevant to a MS dedicated streaming box. Stadia had a lack of dev support, no local play options, no big marketing push, and no goodwill with customers (Google is known to abandon products). MS will have all of these.
Now I concede that I do not believe a Xbox streaming device will be a primary gaming device in many household, but as an additive product, I see a market for it.

I would argue that stadia failed due to many factors that aren't relevant to a MS dedicated streaming box. Stadia had a lack of dev support, no local play options, no big marketing push, and no goodwill with customers (Google is known to abandon products). MS will have all of these.
Now I concede that I do not believe a Xbox streaming device will be a primary gaming device in many household, but as an additive product, I see a market for it.
That's literally what I said...

MarkMe2525

That's literally what I said...
We arrived at a similar conclusion, but I was addressing your statements about stadia's reason for failing and the implied comparison. Did you even read what I wrote, because you "literally" didn't say any of that.

Edit: did you mean figuratively?

Last edited:
We arrived at a similar conclusion, but I was addressing your statements about stadia's reason for failing and the implied comparison. Did you even read what I wrote, because you "literally" didn't say any of that.

Edit: did you mean figuratively?
I specifically said there could be a market here that Stadia failed to capture and that it could be successful from Microsoft.

Menzies

Banned
Why would this succeed when things like stadia have failed?
I don’t believe the market value perception of Stadia was ever in the same league as GamePass. It also ‘unlocks’ access to a good number of exclusive games, which Stadia had few.

There are also a lot of existing subscribers, and it is of no added (monthly) cost to these people to throw one of these in a travel bag/additional TV in the home.

Plus I believe Microsoft is happy playing the long game here, whereas Google may have been looking for instant gratification. Internet speeds and data centres can further progress well in 10 years.

Allow me to install streaming apps for videos, music, browsers like an Nvidia Shield TV so that I can intall Kodi, Netflix, Prime, Youtube, Tubi, Spotify, etc.
Also, since it's supposed to be able to stream from your local Xbox, if the reviews and latency are good, it'll be an easy buy for me.

My Series X is located upstairs in my mancave and was considering buying a Series S for the living room, but if this does that well, I'd get that instead since if rumors are true, it is cheaper, comes with a controller and 1 year of GamePass. The 1 year of GamePAss alone pays for the device. No brainer

One of the reasons streaming will take off is young people "mostly brain dead from school" won't know or care about lag, they will soak this shit up and we won't understand it. Like that tiktok bollocks.
Just like all other streaming services right,🤣 streaming movies and streaming games are completely different, sorry Xbox fans its never gonna take off.

MarkMe2525

I specifically said there could be a market here that Stadia failed to capture and that it could be successful from Microsoft.
OK, I missinderstood you, but you did not "specifically" say that. Again, do you mean figuratively? This is the comment I was addressing "specifically"

"Ultimately, this isn't how most people want to game and that is why Stadia failed as predictably as it did."

At the end, we are in agreement that there is a path to success, I just don't agree that the pitfalls you specifically brought up, apply to MS in this case.

OK, I missinderstood you, but you did not "specifically" say that. Again, do you mean figuratively? This is the comment I was addressing "specifically"

"Ultimately, this isn't how most people want to game and that is why Stadia failed as predictably as it did."

At the end, we are in agreement that there is a path to success, I just don't agree that the pitfalls you specifically brought up, apply to MS in this case.

I never even elaborated on the pitfalls involved here, let alone specified Stadia's pitfalls and how they related or don't relate to Microsoft.

the problem for cloud streaming is it'll always be an after thought. its like the worst way to play games, so why would anyone choose it as their primary way to play? microsoft will give it their best shot and may even have the best streaming quality, but reality has shown us already that their isnt really a big market for people wanting to play games like this. it will be just like ps now streaming. an option thats there but not used by many.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I never even elaborated on the pitfalls involved here, let alone specified Stadia's pitfalls and how they related or don't relate to Microsoft.

You absolutely did.
Companies are making a huge gamble on streaming because they want to emulate Netflix

Ultimately, this isn't how most people want to game and that is why Stadia failed as predictably as it did
That is pretty specific pitfall you brought up in a topic regarding a xbox streaming box. I don't know how else i'm supposed to take your post.

You absolutely did.

That is pretty specific pitfall you brought up in a topic regarding a xbox streaming box. I don't know how else i'm supposed to take your post.
You agreed that this isn't how the majority want to play, that is hardly a specific pitfall to stadia, rather a ceiling on streaming tech in general.

MarkMe2525

You agreed that this isn't how the majority want to play, that is hardly a specific pitfall to stadia, rather a ceiling on streaming tech in general.
I'll say it again, I misunderstood your point. I was just having a conversation and adding to the discord. You were kind of a smart ass and said "I literally said that" instead of clearing up the miscommunication, which regretfully riled me up.

I'll say it again, I misunderstood your point. I was just having a conversation and adding to the discord. You were kind of a smart ass and said "I literally said that" instead of clearing up the miscommunication, which regretfully riled me up.
Fair enough, wasn't trying to be a smart ass, what just trying to say we were on the same page

A.Romero

It looks great. I think It will be a hit.

I wonder if the option to play owned games is also cloud based or just another way to refer to remote gaming.

I didn't even think about streaming directly from my Series X to another screen in the house over wifi.

I'm definitely getting one now, if anything just to entertain guests on the living room without having to move my console's fat ass.

I posted my experience, a few posts up from yours, of me playing Deathloop on the cloud while on a hotels wifi. It was awesome. Tbh, I wasn't expecting a good experience because I keep seeing statements like the one you provided. In practice, it was great.

Edit: more context. It was the free wifi at 5-6 Mbps.
The people who gripe about cloud gaming either played under terrible conditions or haven't played at all. We live in an era when you no longer have to experience things for yourself. We can watch a video that tells us about an experience and then we convinces ourselves it was valid and pass it along like we are the ones who did it.

Clouding gaming is awesome and the people who say otherwise are silly.

Raonak

Banned
I personally don't think there's an actual market for cloud gaming besides it being cool tech.

From my experience, the casual market, which this is trying to target, doesn't actually play games with controllers, nor do they want gaming subscriptions services.

And the hardcore market, which will be most of the people buying this thing, doesn't actually want the additional latency/compression associated with cloud gaming.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I personally don't think there's an actual market for cloud gaming besides it being cool tech.

From my experience, the casual market, which this is trying to target, doesn't actually play games with controllers, nor do they want gaming subscriptions services.

And the hardcore market, which will be most of the people buying this thing, doesn't actually want the additional latency/compression associated with cloud gaming.

The past doesn't agree with you, there is a huge casual console gaming market, and they play with controllers on tv's. Are you saying Sony sold 100 million ps4's to hardcore gamers?

Prediction time.

They are going to call these sticks Xbox Series [Something]. They will be obviously cheap, as they aren't actual console hardware, to the point where they are basically given away.

Then, six months later, they will suddenly decide to start sharing Xbox Series console sales numbers, where they count each of these keychain consoles as a full Xbox Series hardware sale.

Suddenly, transparency will be super important to the Xbox division again like it was early on with the 360.
They will give them away bundled with other consoles for automatic sales doubling!

This thing has about as much potential as the Stadia had.... Only you have those who buy all the Xbox controllers variants to get one of those.

Goalus

If they don't play games with controllers, then cloud gaming is the only way to attract them besides FTP mobile crap.

Yeeeeah that's a wrap for me regarding xbox. Just not the direction I want to see gaming go. I grew up on the OG xbox at my friends house as a kid and then of course owned my own 360. Halo midnight launches I convinced my mom to let me and my brother go to, being blown away by the gears of war trilogy. Call of Duty. Xbox live on a Friday night after school. You guys know the drill. But between this new cloud push, gamepass, not to mention the colossal failure that was the xbox one, I just hope the industry doesn't follow this trend.

I only have a Series X for starfield and ES6 and that is literally it. I reckon one day I'll sell it and just get a beast gaming PC with Forza reboot and hellblade 2. But in the meantime I'll just support my PS5 with my wallet and maybe even get a switch. That's more what I like from console gaming personally.

Top Bottom