• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People on r/Xbox report being able to play online without Gold

mcz117chief

will it make you buy one? Will you be pleased?
No and Yes (although I would like to see free online on all consoles). I don't plan to buy any more consoles since exclusive content is all but gone now. All xbox games are on PC and I am paying Microsoft enough already (office, windows 10 pro), so they are getting my money and I will continue to buy their games on PC. I just think, in general, paying for on-line is an extortion. Paying for actual services like cloud saves, "free" games etc. is totally fine of course.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Also could be to put some focus on them since Sony is having a State of Play today.

That was already discussed in here.
I think that wouldn't make any sense since it'll only be a "small" SoP focused on PS4 games and NO big PS5 announcements.
MS wouldn't play the biggest plus of their marketing campaign (without any announcement) to disrupt the little SoP, they'd wait for the big PS5 one.

Mmnow

This could of course be a test for free multiplayer......for XsX & XsS only. No games to encourage adoption, so here’s the carrot.

What do you think, if only next gen Xbox gets free online, while requiring payment on legacy hardware, will it make you buy one? Will you be pleased?

Here's a scenario I've made up completely in my head to make Microsoft look bad. Wouldn't that be bad? Lol - no games.

You've got to try harder, especially if all this turns out to be true.

Shmunter

Here's a scenario I've made up completely in my head to make Microsoft look bad. Wouldn't that be bad? Lol - no games.

You've got to try harder, especially if all this turns out to be true.
Pardon? which game is launching the system to you and others at large?

GHG

No it isn't. It's just a series of events. They had it when it made sense, now maybe they don't.

For it to be ironic, there'd need to be a twist to it. It's not a fire station burning down, it's just a business doing something different.

Nah, the overall context of such a situation and the chain of events leading to where we are today (all consoles having online paywalls) needs to be taken into account.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Sounds good for the XB users if true! But on the onther hand, their messaging is always confusing so it sound like a "wrong button" moment.

dlbeast

sHhEVxL.png

sHhEVxL.png

I don't understand why they haven't used this in a big way for pr. It feels like they're sneaking it in.

This was something from GamerTweak

The other solution that seems more credible to us at the present time is the possible establishment of a free online game weekend as part of the Free Play Days, as is sometimes the case. In 2018, the free weekend was also noticed over the same period, in early August.

In both cases, it is astonishing that Microsoft did not communicate upstream to explain to the players what awaited them. Worse, with the many rumors that point to a discontinuation of the paid subscription, it is still hard to imagine how the American manufacturer could launch a simple free weekend and then return to the old system in the long term.

If it turns out to be the same thing that happened last year at this time then the MEME's will be glorious....

bitbydeath

That was already discussed in here.
I think that wouldn't make any sense since it'll only be a "small" SoP focused on PS4 games and NO big PS5 announcements.
MS wouldn't play the biggest plus of their marketing campaign (without any announcement) to disrupt the little SoP, they'd wait for the big PS5 one.

:messenger_fire: Unless the third party PS5 games being shown announce they will look best on PS5.:messenger_fire:

Mmnow

Nah, the overall context of such a situation and the chain of events leading to where we are today (all consoles having online paywalls) needs to be taken into account.
Thats not irony though. If Ford started selling horses, nobody would call it ironic.

It's just a thing that's happened. Irony requires a twist on what is expected. Businesses drop things they've invented and made industry wide all the time.

A better example would be Disney dropping superhero films after saturating the market with them. Itd be a move, but it wouldn't be ironic.

GHG

Thats not irony though. If Ford started selling horses, nobody would call it ironic.

It's just a thing that's happened. Irony requires a twist on what is expected. Businesses drop things they've invented and made industry wide all the time.

A better example would be Disney dropping superhero films after saturating the market with them. Itd be a move, but it wouldn't be ironic.

tenor.gif

If you can't connect the dots then I give up.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
I think multi-player has become so important for the newest generation of gamers, that it would be stupid to have less players online. These days it's all about the DLC and shit.

Last edited:

GHG

Yeah, I can see the dots you're trying to connect. I'm telling you you're wrong.

I'm not trying to connect anything. They are connected.

You're just trying too hard to defend something that doesn't need to be defended.

I was online with Xbox for Mech Assault with my little headset on Christmas. It was a damn exciting time.

Good job MS for finally putting this nonsense to bed.

Edit: lol, just a free weekend? Guess I dont have to go to work for 2 fucking more days

Last edited:

Mmnow

You're just trying too hard to defend something that doesn't need to be defended.

Look man, this started as a joke about you not understanding what irony is. You keep doubling down. The point you're making is a fine one, but it's not ironic. How about we leave it there?

Resenge

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned

Comments saying the same thing and the OP confirmed his console is NOT family sharing gold.

It has taken little longer than I expected :D

edit:
Nevermind

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Did people really believe the company which introduced Pay to Play online and F2P's, betas and demos behind a paywall would drop online play, when their push right now is services? Even Phil said a few hours before that, it was not happening, they have no plans to let go of Gold and people still thought this was a permanent solution for MS? MS is already losing money on first party software, they are losing money on gamepass with the $1+2 subs, there is no way MS frees up GOLD......If they did that, it would be a quicker means to put XBOX under than any I've seen. They are not making enough revenue on gamepass, nor first party and now by their own hand free up gold.....It seems some of XBOX's biggest fans want them to go under more than anybody else........There is no way freeing up gold is MS's best solution to improve fortunes for XBOX......They know what they have to do and it's not that, it's the elephant in the room...

Three

No I think it's the same games. Ultimate is just Pc game pass and xbox game pass combined.
Ultimate includes Live Gold
No and Yes (although I would like to see free online on all consoles). I don't plan to buy any more consoles since exclusive content is all but gone now. All xbox games are on PC and I am paying Microsoft enough already (office, windows 10 pro), so they are getting my money and I will continue to buy their games on PC. I just think, in general, paying for on-line is an extortion. Paying for actual services like cloud saves, "free" games etc. is totally fine of course.
Paying for monthly for an OS is also extortianate.

Top Bottom