• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People on r/Xbox report being able to play online without Gold

DaGwaphics

Microsoft also introduced putting F2P games behind a paywall. Sony doesn't do that (at-least not right now anyway.)

This is one thing I really do hope they scratch. It's been a big mistake. It undercuts their firesale strategy with hardware. It lowers potential revenue from mtx. It's just stupid, no other way to describe it.

That, and maybe give GP games access to gold features without cost as needed.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned

It's what makes this all so funny.

The platform that made paying for Online a standard, requires said payment even for F2P titles and on top of a gamepass subscription... is being championed by the hopeful who are trying to turn into Moses 2.0.

mitch1971

Truth be told, both MS and Sony would probably make more on mtx and dlc revenue gains than what they'd lose for the base subscriptions. But, that's a hard case to make to a board, etc.
I can't argue with that answer. Though, I would suspect they would rather keep it as it is than risk money just for the experiment.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
And the replies in here are claiming “they’re testing the waters” lmao

So ridiculous lol

They are giving away a free weekend to try to get new subscribers.... and they took away the one cheap way to buy XBLG from them (the 1 year deal) to boot... pretty obvious this is an attempt to make some money, not to cancel one of their only reliable revenue streams.

They are going to raise the price of Gamepass rather than drop it. No way they drop the price. They just need enough Live users to switch to Gamepass so that they can move the Live sub into Gamepass. MTX makes up a larger percentage of revenue/profit than subs sometimes so f2p games may not need live soon either.

Requiring Gold for F2P titles will certainly go away. As pro-consumer as MS has been lately, that is the one stain on their record. Both Sony and Nintendo don’t require paid subs to play F2P titles. A F2P Halo Infinite MP with no Gold required would be huge.

Technically they don’t even need to drop the price of GamePass, they can just now allow the 12 month discounted subscription like they do with Gold, or used to before they removed it recently. Here is how I expect it to work next gen:

F2P - no sub required
GamePass - $10 a month, includes access to GamePass on Xbox and online play
GamePass Ultimate - $15 a month, includes all above plus PC GamePass and xCloud access

The downside is people who just used Gold and got $60 12 month cards are now stuck paying double.

I can’t see them raising the price of basic GamePass AND rolling Gold into it, you’re forcing people to pay much more.

Vawn

Banned
Gold isn't gone yet, but it will be. MS wants its money to come from GamePass, and more importantly, microtransactions from all their GaaS and F2P games.

They are hoping to duplicate both Netflix and Fortnite. That's their goal and why they will be willing to drop Gold to help ensure those much larger goals.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Awww man...*Starts putting the feathers back on my crow*

Woulda been the best tasting crow ever.

What about those folks who said "I just played Battlefront 2 online?" Were they just lying?

My Gaamepass just autorenewed so there's no way for me to really know myself.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
What about those folks who said "I just played Battlefront 2 online?" Were they just lying?

No, they didn't. It seems like you're able to play ANY multiplayer for free this weekend as long as you own the game.
And the games listed by MS are the ones you can play even if you don't own them.

DaGwaphics

F2P - no sub required
GamePass - $10 a month, includes access to GamePass on Xbox and online play
GamePass Ultimate - $15 a month, includes all above plus PC GamePass and xCloud access

They could do something like:

F2P online = FTP
Live Gold $10/mo. with only 3 month bulk discount.
GP $15/mo. but with substantial 6 and 12 month bulk discounts and now includes Live Gold. Lowest available price still $10 a month or a little less (maybe $100yr.)
GPU $20/mo. but with substantial 6 and 12 month bulk discounts with Xcloud added to the mix. Lowest available price still $15 a month or a little less (maybe $150yr.)

The 12month Gold option is still available everywhere but the MS store, so this hypothesis probably has no basis in reality. LOL

Reactions: MrS

Dr Bass

Dang, some posters disappeared REAL fast out of this thread once the situation was revealed. We went from "Sony is dead" to "it's a very minor Xbox marketing campaign that's been done before" in a matter of hours.

Microsoft just said Xbox Live isn't going to change. Assuming this is true.

demigod

People that only have gold and not Gamepass are also reporting that they now have Gamepass although they never purchased it.

If it were a mistake, why would they also be converting gold members to free Gamepass? Seems intentional or a really bad glitch with very bad timing.
If anything it’s the usual anti-Xbox crowd hyping stuff up without any evidence just so they can troll Xbox fans and make them look bad as per usual.

I mean, there’s a reason you’ve been warned for trolling Xbox thy reads and surprise surprise, here you are to get your little dig in.

Also, this doesn’t explain why people were able to play games free outside of this list and those who are getting Gamepass for free too without subscribing.

Ya'll hyped this, see above. But go ahead and blame it on Sony fans for your misfortunes :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

I would love it if paid online would go away on consoles, but it ain't happenin.

sainraja

This is one thing I really do hope they scratch. It's been a big mistake. It undercuts their firesale strategy with hardware. It lowers potential revenue from mtx. It's just stupid, no other way to describe it.

This is also the one thing I don't really understand given everything else Microsoft has done this generation that is very consumer friendly - requiring you to pay for gold to play a F2P game is ridiculous when your competition doesn't do it.

If anything it’s the usual anti-Xbox crowd hyping stuff up without any evidence just so they can troll Xbox fans and make them look bad as per usual.

Are you talking about ManaByte ManaByte ?

I don't think his intention was to bring people's hopes up and then troll them when it wasn't true.

Alot of people were hyped up due to the rumors that were created. It's normal for them to be disappointed when they didn't end up being true at the moment.

It's this way with so many rumors. Hopefully you can see that yourself since you were hyped up about this as well.

As for me I find it very hard to believe they would just stop gold. They wouldn't do this if they couldn't make up the lost income. That's just my opinion.

ManaByte ManaByte sorry about messing with you earlier.

Redlancet

Banned
Yeah, im pretty sure its that, a cabal of anti xbox súper group who hype any stupid rumor from Twitter "insiders" to make people as neutral and not biased like you look bad

Congrats, you have break the code my Man

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Between this, the removal of RT from The Medium and State of Play later, I get the feeling today will be a bad day to be an Xbox fan on GAF.

And the SoP was a piece of shit. You jinxed it man. I got Darksiders Genesis and It Lurks Below to download from Game Pass. Pretty great day. Bad news for RT on XSX is even worse news for PS5.

Hell man, it's still Wednesday here. "Free weekend" my ass, this is just people trying to damage control.
Bookmarking this thread for the inevitable meltdowns when MS says this was a mistake.

tenor.gif

Dlacy13g

They can't do that unless you agreed ... Gold gave free games , Gamepass lets you play games but they are not yours to keep. I think they can offer gamepass for those who want it and then just continue Gold for those who want that while At the same time they are forceing it to monthly to essentially double the cost and force you out of gold. So I see Gold being cancelled next year
Good point... so maybe they announce the future shutdown date... give you options now to convert if you want otherwise it slowly dies off.

Top Bottom