• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Xbox Live Gold Being Retired - Replaced by Game Pass "Core" - $9.99 - Game Pass Discounts w/ Limited Selection of "Free" Games at Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkylineRKR

But realize, if you just want to play online, you have to pay a rather steep price? With the conversion this was no issue, since you buy gold and convert it which is essentially free (well, 1 a month).
Pretty much. To be honest, I said Game Pass was much better for value 18 months ago.... but I honestly feel that PS Plus, especially extra offers you better value. Game Pass may give you day 1 releases, but most of them aren't even that appealing for the most part. PS Plus do need to improve their Premium service, but I'm impressed with how much they've improved their service as a whole.

Premium sucks and I only have it since I was in the Now conversion program. Its best feature is the timed full games. This is the reason I bought Tactics Ogre again for example, and I peaced out of Ghostwire (which is free now anyway).

But Extra? I feel its a great deal. Xbox problem is that they don't release exclusives, so that boon is pretty much not there right now. And the day one releases... I just prefer the Sony Plus Extra library myself.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If there is no yearly option, Xbox have really fucked up what should be quite a simple, streamlined offering.

9.99 for online and free games. 10.99 for no online and free games.
I think they'd see it as a huge win. Xbox has been trying to increase the XBLG price for some time now, but they haven't been able to. They even tried once and had to backtrack after the backlash.

With this, they will essentially increase the price to $120 per year as they wanted, without the backlash. People are already praising what a good deal it is, not realizing that this is once again a price bump.

And on top of that, now people who don't want Game Pass won't even have an option to just play online for $60 per year.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think they'd see it as a huge win. Xbox has been trying to increase the XBLG price for some time now, but they haven't been able to. They even tried once and had to backtrack after the backlash.

With this, they will essentially increase the price to $120 per year as they wanted, without the backlash. People are already praising what a good deal it is, not realizing that this is once again a price bump.

And on top of that, now people who don't want Game Pass won't even have an option to just play online for $60 per year.
This issue for Xbox is this would face the same backlash from the hardcore because they can’t avoid the direct comparisons to PS Plus. Which will continue to be cheaper, includes online play on every tier and has a good selection of games.

Riky

$MSFT
I suppose this makes sense to consolidate the offering under one heading, especially for new users who will be flooding in with Starfield just after.

Sony

Nintendo
Hmm...
Game Pass Core gets you online multiplayer, but no first party games day and date
Game Pass Conole gets you first party games day and date, but no online multiplayer

Makes sense, given that there is only a $1 dollar difference, but they need to make that very clear.

I can't believe they did the split like that. Core and Console and the big difference being online multiplayer. I thought that we would have moved on from multiplayer being gated separately like it's some special thing in 2023, and I thought they would make actual tiers of content instead of tradeoffs like this. I guess I was wrong.

Worst service ever finally coming to an end.
And an even worse service replaces it.

1. More expensive
2. Just a few games in the selection, lets see what is: 'more comes later'. Probably sometimes they'll rotate the least popular Gamepass games so it doesn't really cost MS anything really
3. Paying 10 bucks effectively just to play online is absolutely ridiculous.
4. It makes Mr Burns seem like a nice guy in comparison

sad season 3 GIF

There is no real way to cut Xbox Live Gold revenue from consoles at least for now anyway. Seems like a decent workaround, considering that a lot of Gold folks did not care about Game Pass offerings in the first place and only paid for multiplayer.

Maybe in the future, but not now.

Last edited:

otakuninja2006

Neo Member
I don't get it...........I just don't......

What's the point of Core if y'all just offering the bare minimum of the far superior Game Pass? Why not just call it "Arcade" like they used to have during the 360 era?

But what will this mean for those that already subscribe to Game Pass Ultimate(like me) that has Xbox Live Gold included with it?

Schmick

I don't get it...........I just don't......

What's the point of Core if y'all just offering the bare minimum of the far superior Game Pass? Why not just call it "Arcade" like they used to have during the 360 era?

But what will this mean for those that already subscribe to Game Pass Ultimate(like me) that has Xbox Live Gold included with it?
You probably wont get the monthly free games. Everything else will remain the same for GPU users.

The Shepard

So now it's going to cost more just to play online each month as there's no yearly deal. I see this going down as well as the last time they tried to double the price of gold. Not everyone wants gamepass, alot of people just want to buy whatever game they want to play and play it online. So it'll be about £6 a month in the UK instead of £40 for the year.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I am glad it’s still $59.99 a year. GWG is garbage, glad it’s gone.
I'm very skeptical about the yearly pricing. None of the other Game Pass plans has it. Even the Xbox Live Gold doesn't have a yearly pricing model anymore. There are literally 0 Xbox subscriptions that offer a discounted yearly plan now.

I'm pretty sure that this yearly pricing plan is a figment of Windows Central's imagination.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I'm very skeptical about the yearly pricing. None of the other Game Pass plans has it. Even the Xbox Live Gold doesn't have a yearly pricing model anymore. There are literally 0 Xbox subscriptions that offer a discounted yearly plan now.

I'm pretty sure that this yearly pricing plan is a figment of Windows Central's imagination.

Or they leave it for a bit until the noise dies down and will slowly raise it to match 10/month or just cut it competely.

xrnzaaas

Not a great change if you look at subbing long-term. You have the games from Gold tied to your account for the duration of the sub (and the OG/360 ones even after the sub has expired). Sure many of them were shit in the last 2-3 last years of the service, but you still don't have to worry about them disappearing from your library.

Last edited:

Three

If the rumor is true then it's still $60 for a year
What's the source of that? Not the official image. People have played a game of telephone and misconstrued "same price" of $9.99 per month from the original image and extended it to a previously available yearly option for XLG.

I would be surprised because MS removed the 12month option to buy XLG from their stores already. To then offer it officially with a gamepass tier when they don't do that with any would be odd.

unlurkified

This is like the 3rd or 4th time they’ve tried to double the price of Gold from $60-$120/yr. They finally figured out that all they have to do is just essentially change the name. Great. If this doesn’t get enough backlash, they’re not going to walk it back and Sony will be licking their chops to see how they can follow suit within a few years. $60/yr to play online was already a bad deal. This is going to suck.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What's the source of that? Not the official image. People have played a game of telephone and misconstrued "same price" of $9.99 per month from the original image and extended it to a previously available yearly option for XLG.

I would be surprised because MS removed the 12month option to buy XLG from their stores already. To then offer it officially with a gamepass tier when they don't do that with any would be odd.

The source is the defunct WC article that all the info is derived from, but again, rumor and hearsay until official (all of it).

DaGwaphics

I can post a screen shot if you like?

zlXKaTp.png

This is from Xbox Live website...And anyone with an Xbox console can try and see if they can get a yearly sub.

If you dont think its real.....try it yourself.

Don't worry, everyone willing to spend 2 seconds with google will be able to find 20 different retailers to get the $60/yr option from. MS made this a retailer only offer, but it has always been available. MS doesn't force their own store as the only way to buy subscription services or digital games. They could just as easily continue to offer the retail only $60 option with the new plans.

Nothing has been announced.

Last edited:

Three

The source is the defunct WC article that all the info is derived from, but again, rumor and hearsay until official (all of it).
Yeah it's all rumour for now but AFAIK the real source was the korean xbox site which the windows central article went off.

DryvBy

While this is a good thing imo because Gold Games have been trash for the past few years, this is definitely going to be Phil's "See? This deal increased GP subs!" talking point of that clown.

MS is really putting their thumb in the eye of console players when you compare the two $9.99 plans.
No wonder PC has more gamepass subscribers.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The devil is in the details. This is a sneaky price increase.

Xbox Live Gold does not have a yearly option on the Xbox website.

wfo4sO3.jpg

Amazon etc. sells older inventory of 12-month cards.

Game Pass just does not have a 12-month yearly option at all - for either Game Pass or Game Pass Ultimate.

So at $10 per month, Game Pass Core will become $120 per year. This is the same thing as upping the price of Xbox Live Gold to $120 p/y, which Xbox did previously try and fail.

Another point to note is the new 3:2 conversion ratio.

If you buy Game Pass Core for $120 per year and then convert it into Game Pass Ultimate using the 3:2 conversion ratio, it turns out to be almost $180 per year for Game Pass Ultimate.

People will soon realize that it is not a good deal for those who use XBLG to upgrade to Game Pass
Thank you for this.

But hey, I see some ppl saying it's a good deal...

When I asked "they can't nerf the gold to game pass conversion anymore, right?"

Here's your answer.

adamsapple

Official now:

$59.99/yr confirmed.

Breath a sigh of relief now.

Last edited:

jroc74

Don't worry, everyone willing to spend 2 seconds with google will be able to find 20 different retailers to get the $60/yr option from. MS made this a retailer only offer, but it has always been available. MS doesn't force their own store as the only way to buy subscription services or digital games. They could just as easily continue to offer the retail only $60 option with the new plans.

Nothing has been announced.
Yeah 2 seconds to also find out some retailers are only offering four 3 month codes.

For something that should be straight forward, MS is making this unnecessarily complicated.

DaGwaphics

Yeah 2 seconds to also find out some retailers are only offering four 3 month codes.

For something that should be straight forward, MS is making this unnecessarily complicated.

As long as the buyer gets what they paid for I doubt they care about the number of codes they have to enter.

jroc74

Official now:

$59.99/yr confirmed.

You guys can breath a sigh of relief now.
Oh cool.

Now what's the Game Pass to Game Pass conversion rate...

Do they change the table again, or leave it as is....

As long as the buyer gets what they paid for I doubt they care about the number of codes they have to enter.
So do you agree it could be more straight forward?

adamsapple

Oh cool.

Now what's the Game Pass to Game Pass conversion rate...

Do they change the table again, or leave it as is....

It's probably gonna remain 3 : 2 since this (core) is just a XBL replacement branding on the same pricing structure.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I have GPU until April of next year. Should I get several 12 month Xbox Live Gold cards cheap now? Or what is the best way right now?

jroc74

It seems straight forward as it is, go to BestBuy/Walmart/Target/GameStop/Amazon and add $60 digital code to checkout and pay. 🤷‍♂️

Ok...and how many ppl knew MS stopped offering annual subs from the console or website...

Hell, just using forums that enthusiast hang out in as an example...

So removing annual subs quietly from the console and website is straight forward?

Alrighty then.

Portugeezer

Different style of consolidation when compared to PS Plus tiers.

They still have the desire to keep multiplayer and the games catalogue as separate things. But you also get day one first party games every now and then.

Kvally

Banned

Says it on their article:

Today, we’re continuing our commitment to give players more choice and value by introducing Xbox Game Pass Core, launching on September 14. Game Pass Core is the evolution of Xbox Live Gold. Game Pass Core will give players access to our advanced multiplayer network, a select collection of over 25 games to play with friends around the world, and exclusive member deals, all for $9.99 USD per month or $59.99 USD per year.

dave_d

And that answers the question of what happens to the older games

• Players can continue to access any Xbox One games they previously redeemed through Games with Gold if they remain a Game Pass Core or Game Pass Ultimate member.
  • Regardless of subscription status, any Xbox 360 titles redeemed via Games with Gold in the past will be kept in a player’s library.

Core has online multiplayer but the normal Xbox version of Game Pass does not?

That's not going to be confusing at all MS... :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Exactly. They’re slowly funneling people into accepting the highest plan is the best plan to get, due to splitting up the basic features(like online) amongst each version and axing GWG.

If you play anything online at all(and you might considering the many Xbox exclusives that have or will have online play in the future), the Console tier plan looks more and more like a joke.

ReBurn

Gold Member

The source is Microsoft

Today, we’re continuing our commitment to give players more choice and value by introducing Xbox Game Pass Core, launching on September 14. Game Pass Core is the evolution of Xbox Live Gold. Game Pass Core will give players access to our advanced multiplayer network, a select collection of over 25 games to play with friends around the world, and exclusive member deals, all for $9.99 USD per month or $59.99 USD per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom