• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Xbox Live Gold Being Retired - Replaced by Game Pass "Core" - $9.99 - Game Pass Discounts w/ Limited Selection of "Free" Games at Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep this is the way. I thought of just going xbox live and stopping my gamepass sub because of a torrent of shit to play this year but if they only offer gamepass basic with online play and I get upgrade to ultimate whenever I want, sure.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
What would this mean for the 1:1 or 3:2 Gold conversion?? Fuck, my Ultimate expires this December.
I believe if you're new or lapsed you get the 3:2. For currently subscribed users they have a chart. You'll need to review the chart and find the best bang-for-buck with Gold/Ultimate deals found around the web.

Chart:
2bEb6YX.jpg
***That's assuming that this rumor is real, and that Gold is being done away with along with the conversion deal. This is still just a rumor.

P.S.- I'm assuming something like this will happen once the Activision deal goes through.

Last edited:
So Microsoft is copying Sony’s PS+ tiers
Pretty much. To be honest, I said Game Pass was much better for value 18 months ago.... but I honestly feel that PS Plus, especially extra offers you better value. Game Pass may give you day 1 releases, but most of them aren't even that appealing for the most part. PS Plus do need to improve their Premium service, but I'm impressed with how much they've improved their service as a whole.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
finally
Xbox Live has been an outdated service for a while ever since they went all in with the gamepass thing. Glad to see it's gone for good now.

All tiers should have console multiplayer though.... infact you shouldn't need to pay for it at all.

Reactions: Isa

clarky

Gold Member
Wait....... so console tier doesn't come with online play? What if I want Gamepass and online play but I don't have a pc? I buy Core and console? That's more expensive than ultimate. Why do you need to pay for pc Gamepass if you'll never use it? Can't see this being correct.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wait....... so console tier doesn't come with online play? What if I want Gamepass and online play but I don't have a pc? I buy Core and console? That's more expensive than ultimate. Why do you need to pay for pc Gamepass if you'll never use it? Can't see this being correct.

Console GP has never had online since the service started, for that you need either Live Gold (now core), or Ultimate. The only thing that's changed is the name, functionally it operates the same as it was before.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Console GP has never had online since the service started, for that you need either Live Gold (now core), or Ultimate. The only thing that's changed is the name, functionally it operates the same as it was before.
Really? I wouldn't know as I have ultimate (and a PC). Seems stupid not to include online with gamepass, actually its fucking stupid paying for online full stop.

Really? I wouldn't know as I have ultimate (and a PC). Seems stupid not to include online with gamepass, actually its fucking stupid paying for online full stop.

It’s not stupid, it’s a very calculated move that people will eat up. Microsoft and other big companies love doing this price laddering shit. Propose a very reasonable spectrum of options and tweak the offerings/price to skew things so the best value option most people will pick is a higher priced one, while offering a low cost shit option so you can advertise “beginning at X price”.

Microsoft always does shit like this to their enterprise software customers, it’s only natural they would try this as soon as they capture a gaming audience with game pass. It’s the only thing they know how to do.

sainraja

The point he is trying to make is still a fair one; given that they are making changes, they should include online play with the console game pass tier. Tiers should build on the benefits offered by lower tiers... the game pass console option is just an odd way to do it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The point he is trying to make is still a fair one; given that they are making changes, they should include online play with the console game pass tier. Tiers should build on the benefits offered by lower tiers... the game pass console option is just an odd way to do it.

No objections from me, if they ditch paid online, I'll welcome that with open arms.

ZehDon

Gold Member
.., That is nice and dandy, except this new service is basically that...
Ok, so you know you're wrong, but you won't admit it. Let's try it this way: this "new service" doesn't exist yet, but assuming it does, the rumour you're twisting up over lists an annual price that wouldn't be much different than the current one. So, if the rumour is correct, you're wrong. If the rumour is wrong, you're also wrong. Have a nice day.

tusharngf

I remember subscribing to gold just to play gears 2 MP but then i switched to PC full time. They gave me shitty indie games for free at that time.

Sweden85

Nice, no more free games only pure rentals. Awesome, hail Phil our supreme leader. We want less, give us less :) and it's more expensive for MP, looove it💚💚💚💚💚

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Information reportedly comes from Xbox's Korean website and a Windows Central article which has promptly been deleted.

3l2l0hi.jpg

Below summary via Era.

- 21 years after its creation, the term "Xbox Live" will be retired.
- "Xbox Live Gold" will be replaced with "Xbox Game Pass Core" on September 1, 2023.
- You will need to subscribe to the "Core" service to get online multiplayer and other benefits.
- "Core" will cost the same as "Live Gold" ($9.99 per month / $59.99 per year).
- All existing Live Gold subscribers will be converted to Core.
- The "Core" service offers 25+ Game Pass games: Among Us, Descenders, Dishonored 2, DOOM Eternal, Fable Anniversary, Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, Grounded, Halo 5: Guardians, Halo Wars 2, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Human Fall Flat, INSIDE, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Psychonauts 2, State of Decay 2, and The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited. (MS says this list will grow in the coming months)
- Free Games with Gold will also end on September 1.
- Free games previously earned with Live Gold will remain in users' accounts.
- "Core" subscribers will still receive the same discounts on purchases as Game Pass subscribers.
Think I'm gonna downgrade to PC Gamepass. Didn't realize it was so much cheaper.

Edit: Done.

Last edited:

yurinka

So basically MS copied the PS Plus Collection and the PS Plus+PS Now merge turning Live Gold into their own PS Plus Essential.

Finally putting games with gold out of its misery.
Seems that they are killing games with gold and replacing them with their own PlayStation Plus Collection

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Considering how bad GWG were for last year I would say that this is a good change.
Having chance to play Gounded, FH4 and Doom Eternal instead of...Darkwood and When the Past Was Around?

Yeah? Sounds like no-brainer.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The devil is in the details. This is a sneaky price increase.

Xbox Live Gold does not have a yearly option on the Xbox website.

wfo4sO3.jpg

Amazon etc. sells older inventory of 12-month cards.

Game Pass just does not have a 12-month yearly option at all - for either Game Pass or Game Pass Ultimate.

So at $10 per month, Game Pass Core will become $120 per year. This is the same thing as upping the price of Xbox Live Gold to $120 p/y, which Xbox did previously try and fail.

Another point to note is the new 3:2 conversion ratio.

If you buy Game Pass Core for $120 per year and then convert it into Game Pass Ultimate using the 3:2 conversion ratio, it turns out to be almost $180 per year for Game Pass Ultimate.

People will soon realize that it is not a good deal for those who use XBLG to upgrade to Game Pass

Last edited:

Valkyria

Banned
What kind of Stockholm syndrome has the people happy about this news? Instead of making Microsoft accountant for the shitty games the have releasing on the service (4 per month) they cheer the saving of those games paying the same and having a few bones throw are them.
With this kind of response Microsoft it’s gonna nickel and dime all of you for the Activision acquisition.

Banjo64

cumsessed
9.99 is terrible but if the 12 month subscription is staying at that price point it’s miles better than Gold.

Klosshufvud

Fucking finally!

Great news and a good deal. More growth incoming.
Yes what a great deal, pay $10 a month just to access peer-to-peer online multiplayer on your $70 game. Meanwhile phone games sold for $5 has all free online.

I can't believe how long these greedy assholes have gotten away charging for basic online multiplayer. It's a crucial part of a game being tied to an arbitrary, poorly excused pay wall. This is a joke.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah, but will it? 👀 No Game Pass plan offers a yearly purchase, not even at the same price, let alone at 50% of the monthly price.
If there is no yearly option, Xbox have really fucked up what should be quite a simple, streamlined offering.

9.99 for online and free games. 10.99 for no online and free games.

Fredrik

So the same price on everything and they can say that a sub starts at $10/month and they will automatically add all the subscribers from XBLG so they can now claim that Game Pass™ without detailing the tiers now have 120+ million subscribers?

Clever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom