• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Introducing Xbox Game Pass Core, Coming This September

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Have you ever heard of Bulk Buying? Costco must piss you right off then.

Bulk buying is not the same thing at all. The economics are completely different when it comes to virtual goods versus physical commodities.

Just stop and think, for the love of God!

You are acting like literal corporate drones. The points I've made are not specific to your precious platform, they are factual observations that can be applied to any vendor of this sort licensed-content subscription.

In case you're too stupid to realize the sentiment here is not that prices for the annual package are too low, its that the monthly sub cost is being artificially inflated in order to drive long-term retention!

Last edited:

Killer8

Its kinda sneaky to have that big of a discount for an annual sub over a pay monthly one.

This is the way it's worked in the industry for years. It's a lure to get people to commit to a longer subscription.

In some ways it's desirable to do it this way, though. People forget that Microsoft tried to effectively double the price of a yearly XBL sub from $60 to $120 in 2021, before rapidly reversing course after the community backlash. If Microsoft had proceeded with that plan, yes, the cost of a monthly sub would've been more in line with the yearly sub and in a sense less 'sneaky', but you really did not want that to happen.

These corporations will always try to gouge the consumer in some way, but if gouging is inevitable then i'd rather it be done to the person occasionally dipping into the service for a month here or there, rather than the long-term yearly subscribers.

Varteras

Gold Member
Betting there will be a ton of people who pay for the $11 console tier, only to realize they can't play online with it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bulk buying is not the same thing at all. The economics are completely different when it comes to virtual goods versus physical commodities.

You are acting like literal corporate drones. The points I've made are not specific to your precious platform, they are factual observations that can be applied to any vendor of this sort licensed-content subscription.

In case you're too stupid to realize the sentiment here is not that prices for the annual package are too low, its that the monthly sub cost is being artificially inflated in order to drive long-term retention!
Sounds like you're the corporate drone.

People like options and deal pricing.

The only people who dont are anti-consumer wanting everyone to pay full price on everything.

Betting there will be a ton of people who pay for the $11 console tier, only to realize they can't play online with it.
Hasn't it always been like this? GamePass was $9.99 and GPU $14.99 before the price increase, with the difference being one includes online play and the other does not.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The board eagerly awaits you downplaying PS+ pricing in a Sony thread.

Maybe the consequences didn't occur to me because I've always paid annually and so didn't pay that much attention to how extreme the price disparity had gotten?

Maybe until all the recent kerfuffle about the ABK merger and the accelerationism towards a service based future didn't give me pause to reflect on where this all is heading?

Maybe I am not entirely without bias, but so fucking what when the points I've raised are valid?

Varteras

Gold Member
Hasn't it always been like this? GamePass was $9.99 and GPU $14.99 before the price increase, with the difference being one includes online play and the other does not.

I promise you, people will look at the $10 core tier and think the $11 console tier definitely has online. It was easy to differentiate between GamePass and Xbox Live with a package that combined them. People don't pay attention. It won't be some long term issue. But I do suspect a lot of people will make that mistake early on.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe the consequences didn't occur to me because I've always paid annually and so didn't pay that much attention to how extreme the price disparity had gotten?

Maybe until all the recent kerfuffle about the ABK merger and the accelerationism towards a service based future didn't give me pause to reflect on where this all is heading?

Maybe I am not entirely without bias, but so fucking what when the points I've raised are valid?
So what youre saying is you buy annual subs, yet annual deal pricing is anti-consumer for gamers.

Got it. lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
NO. As I've stated repeatedly in this thread the issue is the jacking up of the monthly rate to upsell the annual package.
Can you at least admit that you tried to take a jab at Xbox sub pricing and forgot PS has the same pricing offer?

If you do, I'm pretty sure the rest of the board will take it as a mistimed complaint and we'll all let it slide as a laugh. Up to you really.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Can you at least admit that you tried to take a jab at Xbox sub pricing and forgot PS has the same pricing offer?

If you do, I'm pretty sure the rest of the board will take it as a mistimed complaint and we'll all let it slide as a laugh. Up to you really.

No, because that wasn't my intention. I own both Xbox and Playstation, and this topic just snapped it into focus because I was previously unaware that the monthly rate was fully double annual pro-rata.

Stop looking for bad-faith as a default. That's a cult mentality!

EDIT: BTW thanks for the magnanimous offer to "let it slide" on behalf of the board. Like I give a shit.

I'm exiting this topic now, but bear in mind that when both Sony and MS are doing this, what choice do we have as consumers? The die is cast, and that's the way its going to be for the future. You don't get to pick and choose what to play each month without being price gouged. We all need to swear fealty to our platform overlords via long-term subscription, and hope and pray that they don't adjust the deal for what comes as content further down the line.

Last edited:

YCoCg

I think someone is getting a little too emotional.

is this right?
65ECZTK.jpg

if so. what is the issue between core and console multiplayer?

BlueLyria

Finally they killed games with gold. That is a legit good decision, it hasn't had any positive PR or big games on it since ever, though I guess there's no more a competitor with PS Plus Essential monthly games? It's only going to be a digital catalog moving forward?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
So is now until September the time to buy a bunch of XBL Gold and convert it to GPU while we still can?

I know it's a 3:2 ratio now, but that's still a good deal, especially if that ratio goes away after September.
I run 3 subs for me and my 2 boys. We weren't going to expire until next year, but I found a good enough deal last night so I topped mine off to 3yrs and their accounts to 2yrs. They just raised the price today, probably after they got wind of the impending price increase and elimination of Gold. This isn't to say that people should succumb to FOMO, but I made a calculated bet that it wouldn't be around by the time our subs lapse. I usually pay ~$5/month for GP Ultimate with the Gold conversion. Last night I paid $6.30/month. This will probably be the last run for me and youngest son as we are playing more and more on Steam on our Decks, but my eldest son plays a lot of Xbox with his friends, so he'll probably continue after the 2yrs are over. I dropped somewhere around $200 to top off. It's understandable that many people maybe don't want to, or can't, just drop money on subs like that. I'm just thinking long-term knowing I'll pay the price at some point.

Last edited:

Bridges

It just dawned on me, but this technically lessens the value of Game Pass Ultimate. The two "free" games to add to your library are no longer offered, and the price of GPU just increased

I don't think anyone will care really though

octiny

Banned
Wait, this doesn't make sense, console GP doesn't have MP? MS is trying to upsell on Ultimate I guess.

Regular console GP never had online multiplayer (outside of F2P). It was either regular GP+Gold or Ultimate. Which is why most console people go Ultimate, that & you get access to EA Play.

Core GP is just Gold w/ a better free game offering. Which is why it includes online MP as you don't get the actual GamePass benefits.

PC GamePass is by far the best offering, as it includes GP+EA Play just like Ultimate for $9.99.

Roberts

Nah, that's a pure piece of shit with some people addicted to it, I know because I've played it before I stopped realizing that it will never getting better: no roadmap, no endgame (The Queen ? Earle ?.. etc LOL), legacy removed, atoms earning daily/weekly removed, Fallout FIST subscription at 15€/month, grindfest and timegate EVERYWHERE with extremely low drop rate, 1800 atoms (18$/18€) for a single power armor skin, "free" season in a PAID game forcing you to do the same task every boring day like a CHORE for miserable rewards, "expeditions" LOL (the pitt 😹), paid "private server" are just ephemeral session, no new map to explore, level scaling, PERMANENT micromanagement of your inventory and stash because of weight, you have to PAY a subscription to get unlimited scraps and ammunition storage that is a GAME CHANGER, Fasnacht/Moles Miners Hunt/Holiday scorched events every time they don't know what to do. Damn, I could give an infinite list of crap from this game.

The game is a shitfest of bugs still unresolved, worst: they keep reintroducing bug that was BEFORE solved and it happened so many time.
The game actually is THE SIM$ x FALLOUT WORLD will all the ridiculous and absurd cosmetic out of place that every player love to brag on them and in their overcrowded "camp", the game is a so poor and lame state after near 5 years.
This is not a game, this is a LOOP where you're stuck with heavy FOMO practices. There is no passion in this project, this is just a niche cash grabber for whales.

There is 2 people "working" on the game: a dev and a chief and the monkeys from the GIF below, that's it (oh no sorry, they now asked help to a third party specialized in mobiles games monetization 😹), even Project Lead Jeff Gardner left a long time ago.

Cracking Up Lol GIF
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN
It is clear Fallout world is important to you so I'm feel bad that you were so disappointed.

I mostly just wanted an opportunity to casually travel a new post-apocalyptic world of Fallout, discover stuff, do some story related quests and have fun. I think the game has enough content now to give me that.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Needs more Halo MCC- still the best MP a experience out there
I think they’re clearly trying to straddle the line and don’t won’t to include too many of their first party games otherwise it potentially becomes a better deal than than regular game pass.

Sucks we're still in an era where we have to pay for online play, but at least we don't have to pay $120. As someone who plays around 5 games a year(I'm a sports guy mostly), the $60 core is just fine. My ultimate runs out next March so I'll be able to sink into Starfield for half a year at least. Main problem i see though is several people are gonna get the $11 console package and not realize they can't play online...which is bogus

SkylineRKR

For me its strange that a cheaper plan has online play and a more expensive plan does not. I had to check a few times to see the difference between the 2. Its all a mish mash. I think Sony is more straight, Essential is online play and classic Plus. Extra is that + a library of PS4 and PS5 games. Premium is that + legacy games and timed full game trials. Every tier adds something along with a price hike.

reinking

Gold Member
Why are people happy Games with Gold is coming to an end when it is basically just a name change? I would be happy if it was coming to an end because they are ending pay for online multiplayer but this has no significant benefit for consumers.

93xfan

Banned
I think they’re clearly trying to straddle the line and don’t won’t to include too many of their first party games otherwise it potentially becomes a better deal than than regular game pass.
True. Halo 5 has excellent MP. Probably 343’s best MP to be honest (if not 2 Anniversary). Hope this give the population a boost.

xrnzaaas

The fact that Game pass Console does not include online is a horrible deal. was it like this before ?

in other words if you want to play day 1 games and online you have to fuck all spend almost 20$ after tax a month?
Game Pass initially started as a separate service to Xbox Live Gold with no Ultimate option. And it's good there's still such an option to cater to console players who aren't interested in playing online and just want to enjoy singleplayer content from Game Pass.

Anyway it's the PC folks who get the best deal - 10 bucks, don't have to worry about paid online, you still get all the new games coming out and you have the EA sub included.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Why subscribe to GP Core when you can subscribe to NeoGAF Gold Member for the same price for a full year? NeoG has free online, and you get loads more fun here on the NeoG forums than you ever got from GP anyway.

:messenger_grimmacing_

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why subscribe to GP Core when you can subscribe to NeoGAF Gold Member for the same price for a full year? NeoG has free online, and you get loads more fun here on the NeoG forums than you ever got from GP anyway.

:messenger_grimmacing_
I mean, a lot of users spend more time on here arguing, defending, shilling, excusing, promoting, trolling, etc., than actual gaming, so...

DavJay

Let’s say I buy a year of core. Can I pay the difference of ultimate to get the ultimate benefits for that month?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Let’s say I buy a year of core. Can I pay the difference of ultimate to get the ultimate benefits for that month?

No, but you can convert live gold (soon to be core, probably with same conversion) / regular game pass to game pass ultimate. It converts to a 3 : 2 ratio (eg for 30 days of 'core' you would get 20 days of game pass ultimate).

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Why are people happy Games with Gold is coming to an end when it is basically just a name change?
This changes nothing. Will just inflate Gamepass numbers.
Its not the same thing though. Instead of 2 free games as part of the subscription, you get 25 games from the Game Pass catalogue every month. It shares the ability to play online and pricing though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom